• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Razorback Football 2018 Thread

Started by bulldoghistorian, September 01, 2018, 03:08:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

Quote from: HorseFeathers on September 22, 2018, 09:51:42 pm
Fix the Oline and the Special teams....and we've got a competent maybe competitive team....and we've got a Quality Control Special teams coach...not sure what that means but if special teams is all he coaches he may need a new job... soon
We need a new OL coach and special teams whatever he is. Zone block and be done with it. Absolutely pitiful to watch 4 guys block one and our QB get killed. If it's to hard for them to grasp point out who they are blocking each play.

I never got past high school football and never was in on a quadruple block

bigworm

I saw improvement. May have been a little let down from auburn after a tough loss to LSU ,but on the other hand, i dont know how many times i heard "an angry auburn team" last week. I was expectimg a 42 0 game by half. I thought them hogs fought hard and played better.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

The A&M game could be interesting (at least I hope so) because they run a pro style offense and our defense, if they carry over, can keep us in it. Now special teams could screw us again, but their D isn't that scary as long as the O-Line and whoever plays QB are consistent

gameoflife

I think we need a lot more than new OL and Special Teams coach.  Our talent across the board is not on par with the SEC.  Any better players, better scheme, better coaching would help but it takes all that to get to the winning endgame.  Because you see a few good plays here and there doesn't mean we are ok.  Our defense was slightly more lively but still gave up 34.  We scored 3 and my friends that's not a winning combination.  Auburn isn't playing well on either side of the ball only strong offensive showing they have had was Alabama State.  Maybe we are getting better, I'm waiting on more evidence than a 34-3 loss that we were never in.

beach bum

That QB for A&M has some wheels when he gets his stride going in open space.

gameoflife

A&M didn't have a lot going except for the QB. 

bleudog

Valleysports

Quote from: gameoflife on September 23, 2018, 08:49:44 pm
A&M didn't have a lot going except for the QB.

I think A&M started running their QB in the game before, getting ready for Alabama and it was definitely needed.  They might go another direction now.  A&M's defense is susceptible to the long throw, big play. 

sportsguy80

Hopefully we clean up on the special teams and offensive end but our defense will get challenged more this week. We've got to score some points against A&M.

AirWarren

Quote from: sportsguy80 on September 24, 2018, 09:27:27 am
Hopefully we clean up on the special teams and offensive end but our defense will get challenged more this week. We've got to score some points against A&M.

I would  have laughed someone out of town if they would have told me we would have more offensive yards than Aubbie at the end of this game.

Take away the special team mishaps and dumb penalties and this game was a 17-3, 10-3 type game. We had some chances to score but penalties killed us dead.

gameoflife

Problem with saying what if, is that all those things are part of games and good teams don't keep making those types of mistakes. No we are not of the same caliber of Auburn, not with in 10 points and the score shows it.  Auburn didn't play great and ran a much simplified offensive plan.  As the game wore on the mistakes and inability to get into the endzone showed up again.  The better the caliber of the teams we have played the worse the performance by UA and the fewer points we were able to produce. 

bdubyab60

Auburn has run a fairly simple offense since Gus has been there. Eventually it is supposedly similar to what we will run, Morris learned it from Gus.

I was proud of the defensive effort in this game. Especially with the position they were put in by our offense and special teams. Yiu cant knock that effort. Their average starting position was our 46. Had a really nice stop after the fumble.

What I did see though was good effort, besides special teams. If we had that effort in the other two games it's very possible we win those games.

Nance is transferring and so be it. If they aren't getting along with the program then it's best they find a new place to play. That locker room doesn't need guys that aren't willing to buy in.

Still a tough row to hoe. Just keep improving little by little.

Special teams need some serious work and all those guys should be doing sprints for a while

gameoflife

Certainly everyone has their own opinions about how the Hogs looked.  I think they were only marginally better and still a very long way away from being good enough to win a game.  It's a huge dissappointment and I can't see how we get good enough to be competitive for at least 3 years, if then. 
As for Auburns simple offense, even the commentators talked about how abnormally simple they were on Saturday.  We have A&M and then Bama.  I sure hope Bama runs a simple offense.

bigworm

Bama may run the most simple offense of all of them. I can assure you Gus wanted to beat the brakes off of us as well as every team he plays. Credit is due for our defense. They ran the plays they ran and we held em in check. If they had ran different plays,we may or may not have held them in check. Who knows. You said yourself something about "what ifs". What if they had run different plays? Who knows. Defense played plenty good enough to win. Offense and special teams failed. Offense will get better. Thats the only thing it can do.

friscokid

September 24, 2018, 11:55:23 pm #164 Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:58:34 pm by friscokid
Quote from: Hoghead2 on September 19, 2018, 01:47:24 am
I'm 60, unfortunately this is bottom of the barrel for Hog football. The worst loss in the 70's was to Tulsa, 80's were no major upsets, 90's Citidal and 2 loses to Memphis.  2000 until now only USC and Bama put some major beat downs on us. The program is on fire !!!

Not many upsets in the 80s but that 51-7 beatdown by Miami in '87 was pretty epic. (Almost reversed it the following year at the OB except fricking Atwater dropped the pick in the end zone.)

Also, don't forget all those losses to SMU in the 90s after the death penalty. That was something that went away with Nutt.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: bigworm on September 24, 2018, 10:18:10 pm
Bama may run the most simple offense of all of them. I can assure you Gus wanted to beat the brakes off of us as well as every team he plays. Credit is due for our defense. They ran the plays they ran and we held em in check. If they had ran different plays,we may or may not have held them in check. Who knows. You said yourself something about "what ifs". What if they had run different plays? Who knows. Defense played plenty good enough to win. Offense and special teams failed. Offense will get better. Thats the only thing it can do.

Why show any wrinkles in the O when Gus can run his basic run/pass schemes and still win by 30? Hogs D may have played well, but if Gus wanted to, he could have put up 40+

bdubyab60

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on September 25, 2018, 10:19:26 am
Why show any wrinkles in the O when Gus can run his basic run/pass schemes and still win by 30? Hogs D may have played well, but if Gus wanted to, he could have put up 40+
Obvioulsy he couldn't because he didn't. They needed our crappy special teams to give up points to get what they got.

Auburn had 75% of their snaps in Hog territory. 28 of 38 first half plays were inside our 40. So to only give up what we gave up was pretty good.

So to say they could have named their score is not true because it wasn't like they weren't trying.

bdubyab60

Quote from: gameoflife on September 24, 2018, 09:18:34 pm
Certainly everyone has their own opinions about how the Hogs looked.  I think they were only marginally better and still a very long way away from being good enough to win a game.  It's a huge dissappointment and I can't see how we get good enough to be competitive for at least 3 years, if then. 
As for Auburns simple offense, even the commentators talked about how abnormally simple they were on Saturday.  We have A&M and then Bama.  I sure hope Bama runs a simple offense.
I don't think anyone is saying that we were greatly improved. But there was improvement.

And believe most folks know we have a long way to go and that it's is very likely that we don't win a conference game this year. If we do we have had a lot of things go our way.

Bamas offense is on a different level than anyone else in the conference. Probably the country

Valleysports

This week features Arkansas vs A&M.  Two schools rebuilding programs with new coaches and leftover players they didn't recruit.  One school that takes in more money, from football, than any other college and located in the recruiting zone.  Take it to A&M while you can.       

friscokid

Quote from: Valleysports on September 26, 2018, 07:02:44 am
This week features Arkansas vs A&M.  Two schools rebuilding programs with new coaches and leftover players they didn't recruit.  One school that takes in more money, from football, than any other college and located in the recruiting zone.  Take it to A&M while you can.       
I'd venture to say that nobody within the recruiting zone has done worth a dang in the last 5 years. This year North Texas may end up the best of the lot (although TCU is consistent, Tech picks the right people for its system and UT may be sniffing the top 25 now). I have confidence in CM that he can pull 4* and 5* guys out of there regularly. It'll take at last 3 years to see results so let's let it play out.

beach bum

September 26, 2018, 08:18:01 pm #170 Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:19:42 pm by beach bum
Is there any chance Kelly Bryant from Clemson considers transferring to Arkansas with Morris's old Clemson ties? I doubt he will come to a program as low as ours is currently, but I am sure Morris will be contacting him and he will immediately be eligible next year with the new 4 game rule. I know teams like Miss State, Florida, Auburn, and LSU will be pursuing him too so I am not sure we have a shot, but you have to think we will try at least. He would fit the system so well.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on September 26, 2018, 07:02:44 am
17.5 points. Maybe we will cover this time. No telling

sportsguy80

Quote from: beach bum on September 26, 2018, 08:18:01 pm
Is there any chance Kelly Bryant from Clemson considers transferring to Arkansas with Morris's old Clemson ties? I doubt he will come to a program as low as ours is currently, but I am sure Morris will be contacting him and he will immediately be eligible next year with the new 4 game rule. I know teams like Miss State, Florida, Auburn, and LSU will be pursuing him too so I am not sure we have a shot, but you have to think we will try at least. He would fit the system so well.
I was thinking the same thing. Sure would be nice.

bigworm

I think we have a great shot. Seems obvious hes more interested in playing than just being on a top notch team.

gameoflife

Would covering the spread be seen as "improvement"?  Boy that's certainly a low point for our program. 

beach bum

Quote from: bigworm on September 26, 2018, 09:31:20 pm
I think we have a great shot. Seems obvious hes more interested in playing than just being on a top notch team.

Former Clemson players who played for Morris are saying they want to see him go to Arkansas. He is not a future pro QB, but in the college style of play he is a great QB. Just so happens that a prodigy in Lawerence comes into Clemson. No other freshman in the country would have taken his spot except him. Bryant is still a top 15 college QB

bdubyab60

Quote from: gameoflife on September 27, 2018, 09:21:43 am
Would covering the spread be seen as "improvement"?  Boy that's certainly a low point for our program.
For a gambler it might be.

sportsguy80

Can we get a special teams coach of some form please...

bdubyab60

I git a feeling we are about to get destroyed

RZback

We need more than just special team coach.  Start anew with a HC.  Ours guys look poorly coached.  We want a high school coach, go around Arkansas and hire about 12 of the best HS coaches in state.  Bound to be better.

sportsguy80

RZback

Didn't last long.  I'm glad commentators are calling plays, guy wants us to go on 4-4 from midfield and we aren't out of 1st qtr.

sportsguy80

September 29, 2018, 11:33:55 am #182 Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 11:41:14 am by sportsguy80
Wow...we don't even give the back that was the most productive last week the ball.

HorseFeathers

Rzback...fire this HC...fire the one next year for being as bad...fire the one 2 years from now for not having a team...where do you stop that trend?

RZback

RZback

We need a catch it, throw offense because we cannot defend the QB.

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on September 29, 2018, 11:37:37 am
Rzback...fire this HC...fire the one next year for being as bad...fire the one 2 years from now for not having a team...where do you stop that trend?

In soccer around the world with promotion/relegation I see teams sometimes go through 3 coaches in a year in a roughly 40 game season.... They don't mess around if a team is about to get relegated cause they lose so much money if they drop down a league. Maybe we can start the trend of a new coach every 2 years? lol

Romeo

There isn't a quarterback in the country that would have a chance with this offensive line.

beach bum

Quote from: Romeo on September 29, 2018, 11:46:14 am
There isn't a quarterback in the country that would have a chance with this offensive line.

I agree. It's gotten sad at this point....

sportsguy80

Quote from: beach bum on September 29, 2018, 11:44:49 am

In soccer around the world with promotion/relegation I see teams sometimes go through 3 coaches in a year in a roughly 40 game season.... They don't mess around if a team is about to get relegated cause they lose so much money if they drop down a league. Maybe we can start the trend of a new coach every 2 years? lol
Yup and to your point my biggest fear is that Morris won't be around long enough to see what or if a top recruiting class will do here. I really don't think people realize that the clock started ticking once he got hired. It's not all about waiting later for improvement or success. Our progress so far is terrible in almost all phases except for maybe recruiting which isn't at that high of a level yet.

sportsguy80

Finally, the offense is showing some fight!

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Cole Kelly with a 1 yd rushing TD makes it 17-7 in the second. Two big plays from CJ O'Grady set it up. Also, the OL looks to be improving as we go on but we'll have to SEE.

RZback

Giving credit where due, showed some fight at end of half.  Let's see if they can continue.

RZback

Chavis defense doing a better job, best coach on our team.

bdubyab60

Got to get off to better starts for sure.

sportsguy80

Well at least we made the game competitive. Up next...bama.

sportsguy80

RZback

A better game, but must say not sure how good A&M is.  At least we were in it. 

sportsguy80

Quote from: RZback on September 29, 2018, 02:21:57 pm
A better game, but must say not sure how good A&M is.  At least we were in it.
Yup. On another note, I think we found a nice wr in Woods.

Ctucker

Quote from: sportsguy80 on September 29, 2018, 01:58:07 pm
Well at least we made the game competitive. Up next...bama.
That one will be a little lopsided!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas