• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dardanelle at Dover

Started by lizard1989, September 20, 2016, 07:24:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lizard1989

Dardanelle has looked good the past 2 weeks. Hope the streak continues.

Gray lizard

Should be a good game.  I think the game sets the tone for the leader of the 4-4A.  Dover has looked good but some question if they have been tested.  Dardanelle got their test first week and showed they will be good but not likely to run away from the rest of the teams.  I think Dardanelle starts to separate and rise to the top.  No more mercy ruling the conference by the Sandlizards, but 2 to 3 TD win is what I expect.

Sigmund Sauer

The Pirates have not scored an offensive touchdown on the Sand Lizards since 2013 (a 45-10 loss) and have lost the previous six match-ups by a combined score of 247-49.

nastynice

So you're saying there's a chance?

nastynice

Sigmund Sauer

PiratePride03

Yeah,  I read that article too.

Fearfull

think dover has a chance if we aren't afraid to throw the ball and use our speed

PiratePride03

Agreed.  If we come out mixing it up,  I think we win,  but if we come out with 95% runs up the middle,  like usual,  we will lose.  No question.   I'm hoping Coach Smith has learned his lesson from the last 3 years,  but we'll find out tomorrow night. If we don't mix it up,  we lose,  and we'll deserve it.

beach bum

I am hoping Dover puts up a good fight and keeps it a tight game, but I will go with the Sand Lizards 35-14...

Sigmund Sauer

September 22, 2016, 11:16:17 pm #10 Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:21:14 pm by Sigmund Sauer

x14113

September 23, 2016, 03:04:27 pm #11 Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:30:08 pm by x14113
As if Dover's 3-0 start couldn't look any worse...

From the Times Record, Lavaca HC Brian Schlinker re his team's game plan for Week 3:

QuoteI wanted to play the starters for a quarter, or maybe two, and then get them out...We've been really beaten up by injuries. We're up 14-7 at the half, but I stuck to the plan.

That's right, Pirates--you rallied on the Arrow backups.

Rodney Dangerfield might have a seat waiting for you nearby...

Gray lizard

I find that hard to understand.  Why would a coach even say something like that?

Sigmund Sauer

I guess saving what healthy starters they have for conf. play.

Gray lizard

I understand why he would do it.  Just not why he would say it.

Sigmund Sauer

September 23, 2016, 09:02:24 pm #15 Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:19:04 pm by Sigmund Sauer

PiratePride03

How about give the Pirates some credit!

PiratePride03

PiratePride03

Dardanelle probably won't lose another conference game.  And this game ain't over yet

Sigmund Sauer

PiratePride03

Yeah,  and then you said Dardanelle is in for a long season,  which says you believe they'll lose more,  which totally negated the positive.   Two Rivers is in for a long year, Dardanelle is good.

HeadBussa08

Sigmund Sauer

WPWells

Sigmund Sauer

September 23, 2016, 09:38:41 pm #24 Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:40:30 pm by Sigmund Sauer
TD Dover, 41-36 36 seconds left.

Sigmund Sauer

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: PiratePride03 on September 23, 2016, 09:28:25 pm
Yeah,  and then you said Dardanelle is in for a long season,  which says you believe they'll lose more,  which totally negated the positive.   Two Rivers is in for a long year, Dardanelle is good.
Try not to be so defensive. I was not intending to imply that we aren't good, but this is a far cry from what we've been accustomed to. We knew it was going to be different after losing all the talent we lost, but at 2-2, this is going to be a long season considering we've already matched the loss count of the previous 2 years combined. Your pirates are a talented group, especially the Cheek fella. Good luck on your season.

PiratePride03

I apologize.   I did get defensive,  but only because of everything everyone was saying all week.  We almost lost because Coach Smith was playing not to lose.   You never play not to lose, you play to win!!  And there's a HUGE difference between the two.  #21 out ran a pass,  and dropped a big 3rd down pass,  but the two he caught to get us the win were awesome!  I told yall, Dover is playing with a purpose this year.  Dardanelle's offense is clearly better,  but we had the better team tonight.   Like I said though,  yall probably won't lose another conference game.  I do apologize though,  my emotions were peaked at that moment!

Sigmund Sauer

You have plenty of reason to brag and talk. Hootens, myself, along with everyone and their dog in this forum counted y'all out. Not sure our offense was better at all. Enjoy the moment. Who do you have next week?

PiratePride03

The Coach

Dardanelle beat themselves. You can't beat anyone when you turn the ball over and give a team a short field. Dover had TD drives of 6, 12, and 18 yards that was the difference in the game. That a bunch of stupid penalties. Take those away Dardanelle wins by a couple TD's but you can't and they lost.

BlackandSilver

Quote from: PiratePride03 on September 23, 2016, 10:08:51 pm
I apologize.   I did get defensive,  but only because of everything everyone was saying all week.  We almost lost because Coach Smith was playing not to lose.   You never play not to lose, you play to win!!  And there's a HUGE difference between the two.  #21 out ran a pass,  and dropped a big 3rd down pass,  but the two he caught to get us the win were awesome!  I told yall, Dover is playing with a purpose this year.  Dardanelle's offense is clearly better,  but we had the better team tonight.   Like I said though,  yall probably won't lose another conference game.  I do apologize though,  my emotions were peaked at that moment!
Coach Smith knows exactly what he is doing. You don't almost lose or almost win. You either lose or WIN which is what Coach Smith, his staff and the Dover Pirates did. If you still have something to complain about then you don't have that pirate pride. Those boys fought their hearts out last night. Coach Smith had done nothing but turn this program around like he did Prescott. I love the state of our program and the future. Please explain as to how the Dober Pirates played to "not lose". Running the ball while they were up? Throwing the ball when do by 1 to get the ball down the field 80 yards with 2:02 left in the game. All you wanted before the game was a 70-30 split in playing calling and I thought Coach Price called an excellent game.

PIRATE PRIDE
GO PIRATES

PiratePride03

He did call an excellent game,  except 7 minutes in the 4th quarter.  For 3 consecutive drives,  we tried runs up the middle that were getting stuffed,  which allowed Dardanelle to score 22 points in a row.   Yes,  we almost lost because of that.  But what happened when we lost the lead late in the fourth?   We mixed it up again,  and put 6 more points on the board.  Now that being said, I 100% agree that Coach has turned us around.  We have the qb/receivers to have a stronger passing game.  I don't think there is a single person in the conference that could cover Sharp on a true deep route, but for some reason,  we have to have 1 or 2 fakes before we throw the ball.  If they would allow Seth to take a 3-5 step drop with no fake,  and let Sharp or Lackey burn em on the sidelines, they'd have to respect our air game as much as they do our ground game.  And I have nothing but pride in my Pirates, questioning a coach's decision has nothing to do with pride.  I understand running the ball to keep the clock running,  but not with 10 minutes to go on the game.  I'm proud as heck of our boys,  my missing voice is proof of that, and I'll stay being a proud pirate until I die.  But it's funny you have something to say now, didn't see you defending the Pirates when everyone was saying we didn't have a chance.  Where was your pirate pride then?  I was the only person who believed we could win.

PiratePride03

Yep,  just reread all the posts,  BLACKANDSILVER had nothing to say in any of them.  Don't question my pride if you have none before the win.

BlackandSilver

Gotcha. Didn't know posting on Fearless 30 times throughout the week was the qualification to have pride for your team. Been on this website longer than you and a Pirate fan longer.

I do believe we have opened up the playbook some and have been running many pass plays out of trips and 2x2 formations without any play action fakes. It is difficult to lineup in our base wing T formation with only one receiver split and tell him to go long and Seth take 3-5 steps and just throw it up. First that's a bad game plan second if they look and see Jake as the split receiver they will bracket him with a corner and safety. They know he is our deep threat. It's not that easy. The art of deception is a great threat in High School football. You run the ball 8 times in a row then throw a play action pass the likely hood of those secondary players biting in is far greater with 1 to 2 fakes then just taking a 3-5 step drop back. If that is what you are looking out of this offense you'll be looking for a long time. Also give me a 4 yard run with a fullback in between the tackles on first down any day of the week and twice on Sunday. This offense functions on staying ahead of the chains. They did a great job of that last night.

GO PIRATES
PIRATE PRIDE

BlackandSilver

That onside kick did hurt us down the stretch.

BTW the Dardenelle band being behind our sideline was a bit ridiculous. Don't care if they don't have room on their side they should make room or don't play. Someone should have done something about that.

BlackandSilver

Ben blocking the free kick down on our 20 yard line was awesome. Play of the game in my book. He came from right up he gut and blocked that bad boy. Exploited a weakness in their line.

BlackandSilver

I'm still pumped. LOVE beating Dardenelle!

PIRATE PRDIE
GO PIRATES

PiratePride03

September 24, 2016, 07:18:06 pm #38 Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:30:52 pm by PiratePride03
I agree that we can't throw the long ball every down,  but it wouldn't hurt to try it more often.   You know, my buddy that from Dardy didn't believe me that Jake was as good as he is because he wasn't used much last year.   I told him his role was different last year.   I told him the deep passes that were caught last year were all by Jake, then he knew who I was talking about.   Last year he was mainly a receiver and safety,  this year he's doing it all (that touchdown pass by him was an awesome call, he threw a duck, but it was so unexpected he probably could've pitched it lol), and we're benefiting greatly from Coach opening up the offense more. And I'm not saying you should've been talking as much as I was this week,  but a little backup and confidence in our boys would've been greatly appreciated.   All these negative remarks about us had me worried that maybe I was just being too biased.   Now do you agree that there is room for improvement on our offense?  If Dardy hadn't made so many mistakes on special teams,  this is a completely different discussion.      But who can really say?  If we weren't up by 21, they don't have to go on that ridiculous 3 drive run,  so who knows what happens.  All I was saying,  was we took our foot off the gas,  and we almost paid the price,  but our boys would not be denied.   They wanted it more,  that was obvious.

PiratePride03

And yes,  that onside kick was sick.   It happened right in front of me.   I had just said to my buddy "he can kick it a mile,  but can he kick it 10 yards"  the answer is yes.   Temo Martinez is a freak, and I hope the Hogs pick him up.

BlackandSilver

I feel we can always block better but then after each game I think that out gameplay is to just do what we do. Stay patient and take what the defense gives us. Our 3 backs have the possibility of breaking a big play at anytime during he game. Love the situation we're in. Still a lot of football left but we're healthy and have lots of momentum. Dawson would be proud! I know he is with the boys!

PiratePride03

Yes sir.  I'm so proud of how strong they've been through this.  These boys have fought hard for every yard,  and the refs in the first 3 games were trying to screw them over every chance they got,  especially the 1st half at Atkins,  and the 2nd half against Lavaca.  I honestly believe we will go into the playoffs undefeated,  because we just want it more.  We want it for our boys,  who want it for their brother.   I'm not saying we'll win state,  because there are some MONSTERS in 4A-1 and 4A-7, and even a couple in 4A-8, but this is our year for the 4A-4!  I've said it all winter/summer.

big slop

If the "weakness" you are saying was exploited on the blocked point was the middle of the line, then you are wrong. The snapper is supposed to be protected and can't be hit. Two Dover players put their shoulder pads on him and put him 3 yds back. That's illegal and should have been penalized. Great game by Dover and I take nothing away from them, they wanted it more. But i felt compelled to inform you.

PiratePride03

That why Vega was losing his freaking mind?!  I saw him freaking out,  but didn't know why.

BlackandSilver

Quote from: big slop on September 24, 2016, 11:21:42 pm
If the "weakness" you are saying was exploited on the blocked point was the middle of the line, then you are wrong. The snapper is supposed to be protected and can't be hit. Two Dover players put their shoulder pads on him and put him 3 yds back. That's illegal and should have been penalized. Great game by Dover and I take nothing away from them, they wanted it more. But i felt compelled to inform you.
If you feel so compelled you should go up to the school and ask a coach to rewatch the film because the young man that blocked the kick beat the Dardenelle right guard which is the position to the right of the center. Now you are correct on the rule you are referring to until the snapper makes a decision. The decision to stand up and attempt to block. That is the dangers of running the free scenario that Dardenelle runs. In a normal punt formation the snapper can snap and release to cover the punt because he has help from his upbacks behind him, not so much in the free kick that Dardy has choose to attempt. Just like on a field goal or extra point once he snaps the ball and raises his to block he is now a free player.

HeadBussa08

Side Note: Dover didn't know what winning or even being competitive was before Smith got there so lets have a little more knowledge about the situation before stating he was playing not to lose. They won the game so it would appear they were playing to win. LOL but what do I know.

lizard1989

As a lifelong Dardanelle fan, I will admit that we got outplayed Friday night. Emotions were running high on both sides. There were several unsportsmanlike conduct calls on both teams. Not trying to make excuses, just stating the obvious. I think that we need work on our pass defense, but the run defense looked good. As far as the band being behind the home sideline, there was no room for them on the visitor's side. Dardanelle has many fans that go to every game, and most facilities can't accommodate the crowd.

BlackandSilver

Quote from: lizard1989 on September 26, 2016, 11:39:37 am
As a lifelong Dardanelle fan, I will admit that we got outplayed Friday night. Emotions were running high on both sides. There were several unsportsmanlike conduct calls on both teams. Not trying to make excuses, just stating the obvious. I think that we need work on our pass defense, but the run defense looked good. As far as the band being behind the home sideline, there was no room for them on the visitor's side. Dardanelle has many fans that go to every game, and most facilities can't accommodate the crowd.
We have plenty of room to the right of the visitor stands. WAY more room than than our sideline.  ;)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas