• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fallout 3:Wondering through the wasteland ...

Started by Doc Holiday, December 04, 2008, 09:28:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldogs1159

I have that armor like what the guy wears on the cover of the game but it says I need special training to wear it. Where do I get that at?

Chief_Osceola™

You get the training at the Citadel.  That's the Brotherhood of Steel's main base.  You have to visit during the storyline progression at some point, but I don't know if you can go there before that or not.

Doc Holiday

You can't, I've tried. You have to get to a certain point in the story line.

Chief_Osceola™

Personally, I think the armor you get from Reilly is better anyway.  It's less bulky, can be repaired more easily, and offers plenty of protection especially at higher levels.  Heck, if you get a follower like Fawkes or Charon and are leveled decently, you don't even really need armor.

bulldogs1159

I've been so busy with side missions I haven't gone past talking to that scientist in Rivit City in the main quest. I assume you get armor from Reilly during the main story line as well? Plus you get a follower?

dc24

Screw Armor.  I'm wearing Eulogy Jones's pimp suit right now.  LOL.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on April 07, 2009, 03:49:35 pm
I've been so busy with side missions I haven't gone past talking to that scientist in Rivit City in the main quest. I assume you get armor from Reilly during the main story line as well? Plus you get a follower?

It's a sidequest - Reilly's Rangers.  You have to save her group that's pinned down by super mutants in a hotel in downtown DC.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: dc24 on April 07, 2009, 05:15:21 pm
Screw Armor.  I'm wearing Eulogy Jones's pimp suit right now.  LOL.

Haha, I blew that guy's head off right after I finished the side mission for him.  I had to get my karma back.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on April 07, 2009, 09:17:17 pm
How exactly do you get into DC? And please explain the follower to me.

It's a sidequest - Reilly's Rangers.  You have to save her group that's pinned down by super mutants in a hotel in downtown DC.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on April 08, 2009, 02:47:11 am

You use the metro tunnels to get into DC.  There are quite a few of them, and they're scattered around the outskirts of downtown.  There are a few followers you can get - one is in Underworld where the ghouls live and one you get during the main quest, if you have positive karma.

Doc Holiday

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on April 08, 2009, 06:59:11 am

You use the metro tunnels to get into DC.  There are quite a few of them, and they're scattered around the outskirts of downtown.  There are a few followers you can get - one is in Underworld where the ghouls live and one you get during the main quest, if you have positive karma.
.....or kill them all. Jk

bulldogs1159

How hard is it to get into DC, cause I'm about to go get the Declaration of Independence I think.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on April 08, 2009, 02:19:00 pm

How hard is it to get into DC, cause I'm about to go get the Declaration of Independence I think.

It's not really hard as far as being challenging.  There are some feral ghouls roaming around pretty much all of them, but they're not too bad.  The toughest part is navigating the system.  In some cases, there are multiple entrances depending on how many times the station branches off.

bulldogs1159

I'm having a hard time finding a way in I guess. The only station I've found so far just had ghouls in it but it went no where. Bleh.

Chief_Osceola™

Every metro station has an entrance and an exit.  You may have to take one of the Chevy Chase stations, or go to Rivet City and find an access point that way.  I can't remember exactly, but there should be a few different ways into the middle of D.C.  And then, once you get there, I think there are about 10 different zones that have to be accessed via the other stations within the downtown area.

bulldogs1159

Made my first venture into DC today, yikes there are a ton of super mutants. What I did to get rid of all the ones in that area was kill one then run back to the station stairs and funnel them in to me at one or two at a time.

Also I found Evergreen Mills while just walking around, YIKES! I came over the top of the ridge and looked down, a ton of freakn raiders and I got my first look at a behemoth, me thinks those are hard to kill. I have no idea how I would fight my way through all those raiders down there and then kill that thing. 

Chief_Osceola™

For Evergreen Mills, you can sit up along the ridge and snipe a good portion of the raiders.  That makes it a lot easier when you go down and ransack the place.  And that behemoth is probably the easiest one in the game to kill.  He's in that cage, and if you don't take down the electric field or blow the door open, he can't get out.  You can sit there and take potshots at him until he's dead.  Or you can let him out, run back to a decent distance, and lob a mini-nuke at him.  That's what I did.

bulldogs1159

I don't have a sniper rifle yet. I think I am going to sit at the top of the hill and blow his cage up from the top and let him and the raiders fight that way I can go in a kill whoever wins easier.

Chief_Osceola™

I believe I used the hunting rifle.  Then again, I also depended on VATS a lot and built my perks around being a VATS gunner/sniper.  The regular sniper rifles in the game break down too easily.  There are a couple that are outstanding though.  Lincoln's repeater and the reservist's rifle are very, very good long-range weapons.  I never considered your strategy, although that may be a better way to go. 

bulldogs1159

So I've been doing some online reading, whats this alien rifle that gets brought up. And I want it lol.

Chief_Osceola™

You have to find the crashed UFO site.  It's a random event, and it's triggered in certain areas.  I'm not sure what triggers it or what areas it occurs in; I guess you just have to get lucky and find it.  You'll know it when it happens though.  If you wander around enough, eventually you'll find it.

bulldogs1159

I've done all of the side quests except the Rangers, Agatha, Oasis, Stricktly Business, and Homefront. I think I am going to do them all except Homefront before I start on the main quest line again, try to be as leveled as possible I think I am going to go after the behemoths as well before I finish the game.

Chief_Osceola™

Behemoths are a breeze if you have a Fatman.  And Agatha's Song, Oasis, and Strictly Business are only necessary if you want the achievements.  Reilly's Rangers has good rewards and exp.  Actually, you get a pretty good weapon for completing Agatha's Song. 

bulldogs1159

I have some mini nukes. Just don't have the launcher yet. I'm thinking about killing Arkansas to get his rifle.

bulldogs1159

Also if I go to a part of DC and kill all the super mutants and then come back another time are they dead for good or do they re-spawn?

Chief_Osceola™

I'm pretty sure they respawn after a while.

bulldogs1159

Wow the Mills has so far been the most lucrative place for me, I'm so stacked on ammo and health stuff and I'm not even done searching yet.

RD™

I bought this game finally, I can see where this might be quite addicting.

bulldogs1159

So I got a good solid 5 hours of game time in tonight. I went to GNR and had to fight my way through all the super mutants by myself due to skipping the GNR part of the main quest line. I finally got to the station and Killed the super mutant behemoth (thats my third one). All three of them I've killed I haven't been hit by them once. All three of them I have managed to find a little nook or a cliff where they cant reach me, they have been some of the easiest kills of the game.

Then after that I decided to do the quest Reilly's Rangers. Wow, that sucker took me two whole hours worth of game time to finish. But then again I made sure and checked every door and box in the hospital to get as many health items as I could, and I came out stacked. Also with the bazillion super mutants you have to kill on the way up I managed to go up the entire way from level 15-16.

I also just figured out you can use guns to repair guns of the same type (facepalm) so I got my hunting rifle, terrible shotgun, assault rifle, and missile launcher as repaired as I could ( repair is at like 70). The last few days after reading some stuff online and figuring a lot of it out have made me even more addicted. I am no longer nervous and half way afraid of DC as I can pretty much take on all the super mutants by myself. Heck I just found Underworld at the end of the night tonight lol.

Doc Holiday

Please tell me you have a sniper rifle!!?? They come in handy a lot! But they are hard to find.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on April 13, 2009, 04:34:34 am
Heck I just found Underworld at the end of the night tonight lol.

Charon is worth the money if you don't already have a follower.  Also, I can help you find the other 2 mutants if you'd like, since one is in a certain area downtown and the other one is in the wasteland, triggered by a certain event.  They can be difficult to find if you don't know how to get them to spawn.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on April 13, 2009, 10:10:42 am
Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on April 13, 2009, 04:34:34 am
Heck I just found Underworld at the end of the night tonight lol.

Charon is worth the money if you don't already have a follower.  Also, I can help you find the other 2 mutants if you'd like, since one is in a certain area downtown and the other one is in the wasteland, triggered by a certain event.  They can be difficult to find if you don't know how to get them to spawn.
I know about the one and the teddy bear, but I think the one at Tacoma is going to be hard to get to cause I halfway watched a video on how to get there and it was just him walking not fighting and it took over ten minutes and it looked easy to get lost.

I think Tacoma is the only place in inner DC I haven't been to yet so once I do that I can just fast travel and wont have to worry about the tunnels anymore.

bulldogs1159

bulldogs1159

So I have reached level 20 and have done every single side quest. I have made it through "The Waters of Life" quest on the main line. I think I am going to wonder around until I kill 300 humans and find 100 locations before I go on. Actually I am like 2 NukaColas away from completing that one, but still almost done. This has been a very fun game so far and I am going to get the DLC after I get done with this. I know Broken Steele comes out on May 5th.

Chief_Osceola™

The Pitt is the better of the 2 DLC's in my opinion.  And I'm ready for Broken Steel - new perks, higher level cap, and the ability to play past the main storyline are all nice additions.

bulldogs1159

Bethsada announced a new Fallout for next year. Fallout: New Vegas. 

Is Operation Anchorage even worth getting?

Chief_Osceola™

OA is good because you get some unique weapons/armor and the 100 achievement points.  Oh and you get to kill a bunch of commies.  It's pretty fun, but it's also pretty short.  I would almost say the Chinese stealth armor is worth getting OA, but the whole DLC itself doesn't do anything to advance the story or fill in any additional information. 

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on April 24, 2009, 11:21:48 am
OA is good because you get some unique weapons/armor and the 100 achievement points.  Oh and you get to kill a bunch of commies.  It's pretty fun, but it's also pretty short.  I would almost say the Chinese stealth armor is worth getting OA, but the whole DLC itself doesn't do anything to advance the story or fill in any additional information. 
Do the commies you kill go towards your players count to get the 300 kill achievement?

Chief_Osceola™

bulldogs1159

So if I DL Operation Anchorage after I finish the main quest how do I get to it?

Chief_Osceola™

Just make sure and save the game before you begin the quest 'Take it Back'.  That's the point of no return.  When you download it, go to Megaton.  You'll get a message about a radio broadcast.  Tune in to the radio station and you'll get the info from there.  It's pretty straightforward after that.  Or if you've already finished the main quest and don't have any previous saves, just wait until Broken Steel comes out and download it.  Then you can do any quests you haven't already done.

bulldogs1159

Chief_Osceola™

It's the same, as far as finishing/not finishing the game.  I believe you have to find it on your own though.  It's like in the very top center of the map, and it's a pain to get to because of all the mountains.  I think I randomly found it.  You meet a guy named Wehrner somewhere up there, and then it pretty much starts.

bulldogs1159

So I finished Operation Anchorage last night. I would give it a C+ but its definitely not as bad as some of the boards made it out to be and the Stealth armor is worth it.

Is The Pitt worth it? I have been doing some reading about it and it says it has a million bugs. And that when you go back to get your stuff after the arena battle you lose all your ammo and caps.

Chief_Osceola™

I think they've patched all the bugs.  And I didn't notice losing any ammo or caps after doing the arena.  The Pitt has an interesting plot.  It's one of those that makes you wonder if you've made the right choice, regardless of how you choose to finish it.  It also has some pretty good exclusive stuff, but nothing as good as the Chinese stealth armor.  I thought it was probably overall better than OA.

bulldogs1159

I think I am going to DL it then. I have done everything just about except just wander around and find some random things in the Wastes. I think I may go after the bobbleheads, and I only need to make the Deathclaw Gauntlet to get the weapon acheavement. The Pit and half of the main quest is all I have left before Broken Steele comes out. I may do the game over again as an evil character at some point.

bulldogs1159

After a few days of problems with Live I got it fixed tonight and downloaded The Pitt and Broken Steel. I cant effing wait to get started on getting to level 30. Thank god I didn't do very much after I got to 20 to waste that XP

bulldogs1159

So annoyed. After not playing this in a while I busted it out the other day and finished The Pitt. Well I started on Broken Steel and got to the very end where the game messed up and I cant look in any direction at all except the direction I was when I loaded the game up. So now I have to go back to the previous load to fix the problem. Well I lost over 3 hours of game play and have to do the entire last mission over again, including taking the hour just to get to the presidential metro through the tunnels. GRRRRRRR

Chief_Osceola™

September 24, 2009, 07:42:34 pm #99 Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 07:44:14 pm by Chief_Osceola™
It seems like I had a similar issue after DL'ing Broken Steel.  My game didn't freeze, but it was as if I hadn't downloaded it.  I had to go back to a previous save just before I began the last mission.  It took me a while to find a good one because I think I have like 80+ saves.  J-Lo, if it's still freezing on you, try installing the game to your hard drive if you haven't already.  That fixed all my freezing issues.

Also, that sucks about the tunnels.  I hated having to go underground, but especially the tunnels that took an hour or so to navigate.  But if you've already visited Citadel, you should be able to just fast travel back to it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas