• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fallout 3:Wondering through the wasteland ...

Started by Doc Holiday, December 04, 2008, 09:28:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Holiday

Just tell me what you think of exploring the humongus wasteland on foot, lookin for ol' papa

Chief_Osceola™

I love it.  Seriously, I could probably sit and play F3 all day.  Sniping raiders never gets tiring.  I love the headshot animations.

Doc Holiday

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on December 04, 2008, 12:54:27 pm<br />I love it.  Seriously, I could probably sit and play F3 all day.  Sniping raiders never gets tiring.  I love the headshot animations.<br />
At least somebody is with me on this one. This game is awesome! There is just so much stuff to find its ridiculous. Have you seen the size of the stratagy guide?!?

Chief_Osceola™

I have the strategy guide.  And yes it is massive.  I think if you were to just stick to the main quest and some sidequests, you could probably get by without it fairly easily, but if you're a completionist like me who doesn't have 400 hours to find everything myself, then it's pretty much necessary.

Doc Holiday

I beat it the first time just doing what was neccesary and it doesn't take very long. But now the second time I am exploring everything and anything, and wiping out any form of threat, whether it be good or a bad threat. But searching every part of the map is taking so long, considering the small amount of time I get to play it. Its been a week now and I think I've explored all of zone 7 and 8.

mattp_68

Chief_Osceola™

Not this time.  I have a good karma character right now.  Maybe next time I'll blow it up.

dc24

bulldogs1159

So its this kind of like oblivion? And if you have never played the first two will I have any idea whats going on if I get this one?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on December 30, 2008, 12:49:27 am
So its this kind of like oblivion? And if you have never played the first two will I have any idea whats going on if I get this one?

I can see the similarities to Oblivion.  Some have said it's Oblivion w/ guns.  But I barely played Oblivion so I don't know for sure.  And you won't be missing anything by not playing the first 2.  It does great as a stand-alone game.

Juco soldier

I was thinking about buying this game, I like the call of duty line.  What do you think??

Doc Holiday

Well...If you are talking about the newest, Call of duty world at war. I pick Fallout by a longshot. Of course I love replay value, considering the prices on these games, I want my moneys worth!

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Juco soldier on January 06, 2009, 10:47:14 am
I was thinking about buying this game, I like the call of duty line.  What do you think??

It's nothing like any of the COD games.  The only similarity is the first-person viewpoint, which can be changed to 3rd person in Fallout.  Fallout is more of an action RPG in the mold of the Elder Scrolls games, as it was created by the same developer.  But with guns instead of swords and magic.  If I were comparing it to any FPS, I'd say it more closely resembles Bioshock, but even that is a stretch.  It's pretty immersive, and quite addictive.  You can sit down and start playing, and look up and it's 3 hours later.

bulldogs1159

Rented it tonight and I am going to play it for the first time as soon as the Tennessee vs Gonzaga game is over. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Chief_Osceola™

If you have any questions or need any help, let me know.  I'll probably be online for a while tonight.  If you still don't have your Live set up again, you can give me a holler over the phone.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on January 07, 2009, 10:00:04 pm
If you have any questions or need any help, let me know.  I'll probably be online for a while tonight.  If you still don't have your Live set up again, you can give me a holler over the phone.
It will have to be over the phone or via facebook chat. Does it give you a walk through at the start?

Chief_Osceola™

The whole first portion is building your character and is sort of a tutorial just like any other game.  One thing - Charisma is worthless.  Drop it down to 1 and build up something else like Intelligence or Luck to 8 or 9.  I think I had Intelligence, Strength and maybe Endurance up pretty high, with Luck being at about 7 or 8.  Don't put anything up to 10 either.  You also get a chance to tag 3 skills.  The ones you choose depends on your play style.  I think I did science, medicine and small guns.  My next playthrough will probably be a completely different build, but those were pretty solid choices because they are all pretty useful throughout the entire game.  I use VATS a lot, so those 3 plus sneak were imperative.  If you want to be a tank, go with big guns and explosives.

Chief_Osceola™

It may be a bit confusing at first, but just set up your starting stats according to what type of character you want to build.

bulldogs1159

I'm usually to impatient to sneak around lol.

bulldogs1159

Well I am addicted. I am trying to find "The Family" right now who is bothering this overpass town. But I got blown up by some mutant thing.

Bogey

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Bogey on January 08, 2009, 01:09:50 pm
Dangle.....no more Call of Duty?
If I had live I would still be on there every day. I moved and don't have wireless as of yet. I will be back up and running at some point tho.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on January 08, 2009, 02:20:47 pm
Quote from: Bogey on January 08, 2009, 01:09:50 pm
Dangle.....no more Call of Duty?
If I had live I would still be on there every day. I moved and don't have wireless as of yet. I will be back up and running at some point tho.

Just run a cat-5 cable from your xbox to your router or modem.  As long as it's on the floor nobody will trip on it.  This is what I used to do before I ran it through the walls and attic.

bulldogs1159

Hey I need ammo and I don't know how to make money other than quests where I need said ammo. Plus I can't find that freakin family that killed those people on the overpass.

Chief_Osceola™

Meresti subway.  It's north/northeast of Arefu.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on January 08, 2009, 03:10:22 pm
Meresti subway.  It's north/northeast of Arefu.
All I found there was a couple of those melted looking people.

Chief_Osceola™

My bad - it's actually called northwest Seneca station.  That's the subway entrance to Meresti trainyard.  The Family lives in there.

bulldogs1159

Funny thing happened tonight. I started the game up and fast traveled to the town with the fire ants once I read where that guys lab was to get rid of them. The second I appeared I noticed behind a waist high concrete wall there was two ants. Out of no where three "hitmen" came out from down the street to try and kill me. But before they could even get close to me the fire ants burnt them to a crisp. I thought it was pretty funny I didn't even have to fire a shot.

Horrendous

Yeah the only problem im having is finding enough ammo.... lol...... I wish i could keep coming across those ammo boxes.... they help somewhat lol

Doc Holiday

January 20, 2009, 11:09:08 am #29 Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:10:48 am by Doc Holiday
The idea is to take a whole day off from doing the missions or side missions, and and start salvaging everything you can find, from tin cans to crutches and conductors. Then fast travel to a city such as Rivet City or Megaton and sale the stuff for whatever its worth. Then use the money for stimpaks, ammo, or whatever you need. Try picking up things that have a bit of value to them such as packs of cigarettes or nuka-colas. Or you can try picking up things that have no weight, but are worth something...such as railway spikes. Also look for caravans who sale things.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Horrendous on January 15, 2009, 12:39:55 am
Yeah the only problem im having is finding enough ammo.... lol...... I wish i could keep coming across those ammo boxes.... they help somewhat lol

Just wait until later in the game.  The only ammo that is limited is the .44 (for the magnum and Lincoln's repeater, aka best gun in the game), the .308 for sniper rifles, and fat boy mini-nukes.  I have over 2000 assault rifle rounds, several hundred shotgun shells, about 1500 5mm rounds, and over 1000 flamer fuel.  That's just a sampling, but you get the idea.

Doc Holiday

Chief_Osceola™

I've created all the special weapons.  The railway gun has more comic value than effectiveness.  The little train whistle that blows after you fire it is pretty funny, but overall it's not a very powerful weapon, especially later in the game.  The thing about the special weapons is to wait and build them when you have all 3 schematics for each of them, unless you have plenty of components required to create them.  The more schematics you have, the better initial condition the weapon will be.

B&GT

I just got this game for PC, I'd been looking forward to it a lot.  I love it so far, and I'm expecting a lot from it.  It's a TON like Oblivion, but it makes sense for it to be.  Same engine, same developer, sounds like a few of the same voice actors.  From what you guys said I was expecting the world to be bigger.  It's big but feels considerably smaller than that of Oblvion to me, even without its expansion.

Chief_Osceola™

PC version is probably superior, since Bethesda is good about letting people mod their games.  There are some pretty good ones for Fallout 3.

B&GT

That's exactly why I got it for PC and not PS3.  I can play it in HD on my PS3 but there are too many advantages with the PC version.

Smack_talk101

Quote from: B&GT on January 23, 2009, 02:40:47 pm
That's exactly why I got it for PC and not PS3.  I can play it in HD on my PS3 but there are too many advantages with the PC version.
What kind of advantages?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Smack_talk101 on January 27, 2009, 08:21:31 am
Quote from: B&GT on January 23, 2009, 02:40:47 pm
What kind of advantages?

PC mods. 

Doc Holiday

I'm sick and tired of getting stuck in rocks and debris from crumbled buildings.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Doc Holiday on January 28, 2009, 08:26:02 am
I'm sick and tired of getting stuck in rocks and debris from crumbled buildings.

If that happens, the only solution is to fast-travel to somewhere else.  Not very convenient, but it saves you from having to reset.

Doc Holiday

well....I've beat the game 4 times....and it still has me hooked.

bulldogs1159

Has anyone downloaded the Alaska game add on? I still have to buy the game but I am looking forward to that as well.

Chief_Osceola™

A friend is borrowing mine, so I haven't had a chance to yet.  I'll be getting all 3 updates when I get my game back and when the other 2 come out.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 03, 2009, 06:10:07 pm
A friend is borrowing mine, so I haven't had a chance to yet.  I'll be getting all 3 updates when I get my game back and when the other 2 come out.
What are the other two updates?

Chief_Osceola™

The Pitt - coming this month.  Takes place in raider-infested Pittsburgh.  The one in March lets you play on after the last mission.  I'm not sure what all it will be though.

bulldogs1159

So once the main story line is done the game is over? Like no continuing the walk around doing other side quests?

Chief_Osceola™

Currently, that's correct.  Once the March DLC is out, that will change.

Doc Holiday

Well guys, I have terrible news......my 360 has caught the nasty 3 red light disease....AGAIN! Microsoft is pushing me a little close to the edge. :( :( >:(

bulldogs1159

Bump

Bought this the other day. Chief is the DL stuff out yet that allows you to walk around after you beat the main storyline?

Chief_Osceola™

Not yet.  They were late in releasing The Pitt, so the last DLC should be out sometime this month.  I let a friend borrow my copy, so I just started with Operation Anchorage last night.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas