• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Run Dynasty - Houston Cougars: Going The Entire Season Without Running

Started by RD™, December 11, 2009, 06:11:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RD™

A buddy of mine made a challenge to me, go one season with the Houston Cougars and the pass happy offense with one exception....

I can't run one single RUN play, no quarterback scrambles, no running plays, no wildcat, nothing.

I took on a challlenge like this a few years back and ran the wildcat with D-mac for one whole entire season and it ended with disastrous results.

Also. to make the challenge even greater, I will replace Vanderbilt in the SEC and I will be doing this against SEC defenses in the game.

I will keep this thread updated as it goes. Also, to prove I am not lying nor cheating screen shots will be provided.

Also, this is a one season challenge, so I won't give a crap about recruiting.

Difficulty will be All American and 6:00 quarters. One last detail, to speed things along, I will simulate the defense.

bulldogs1159

RD™

Well game one was not a good start, took on Kansas Jayhawks. Was trying to win the game, but Jayhawks intercepted my 4th pass in the closing seconds. The pictures shows a rush, but it had to be the computer. So I guess, it does what it wants.

Lost to Kansas 53-49 here is the stats

Up Next @ LSU

RD™

Well, when you play SEC defenses, it gets tough. Houston just found out chunking the ball all game don't work. LSU's awesome defense throttled me. Bad. 41-22 Tigers. I was never in this game.

Up Next Mississippi State

RD™

Finally the breakout game, Chase Keenum absolutely goes off on the Bulldogs Secondary. Got sacked twice, so that explains the rushing attempts. The defense is horrid for Houston, thank goodness for the offense.

Up Next Rice (lolz)

RD™

Well, the reason I lolz, was because of what I knew I would do to Rice. 60-82 889yds 13 tds. Nuff said.

Up Next: OLE MISS

RD™

Bwahahahahaha I owned the Nutter bunch with a last minute Touchdown Drive. I was down 35 at one point!

Oh yah, broke single game passing record as well ;D

SMC

I have played full games just on exhibition where I passed on every down. Highest I ever threw for was 735 once, I think that was with one of the old Timmy Chang Hawaii teams back on probably NCAA 04 or something.

But I've never done it in a dynasty mode.

RD™

Quote from: SMC on December 11, 2009, 10:04:54 pm
I have played full games just on exhibition where I passed on every down. Highest I ever threw for was 735 once, I think that was with one of the old Timmy Chang Hawaii teams back on probably NCAA 04 or something.

But I've never done it in a dynasty mode.
It's hard, especially when it's 4th and inches on the goal line

RD™

Well Army certainly was easy to pick apart. They tried the whole ball control thing. Fail.

Up Next: Georgia

Mid Way Season Stats

C. Keenum 236/530 3702 yards and 43 Touchdowns and 15 picks LOLZ

my back up guy 31/39 422 yards 8 Touchdowns

and I have the 2d worst defense.

RD™

Well once again I play a team, with a real defense. Once again I lose. I think the computer is really starting to pick up my passing patterns. I had a 21 point lead in this game. After that I went 12 and out, yes 12 straight incompletions.

Up next @ South Carolina.

SMC

How do you throw so many incompletions?

Are you throwing the ball downfield a lot? I use possession passing game and I have no problem hitting intermediate passes any time I want. The last game I played I was 22/26.

But throwing the ball downfield is a lot harder on this game than previous.

RD™

Yes and no. Houston's O line bad...so I spend the majority of the game scrambling behind LOS.

SMC

You inspired me to try this also.

I am playing with South Florida. I put them in the SEC East replacing Vandy. My OOC games are UCF, @ FSU, @ Miami, and a last week road trip to Hawaii.

I played my season opener vs UCF last night. I went 42/58, I can't remember the yardage total but it was right under 600 IIRC. I won 42-14. I fumbled twice in the red zone, threw one pick, and failed a 4th down at his 6 yard line.

HA_Fan

Quote from: SMC on December 16, 2009, 08:49:10 am
You inspired me to try this also.

Ditto.

Only I missed the putting them in the SEC part on the first read through.  I'm using Texas Tech with their regular schedule.  All my other settings are the same as RD's.

It's not going as smoothly for me.

Through 6 games, I'm 2-4.  I did put up 105 points in my first week against an FCS opponent and took #3 Texas to OT (lost on a goal line INT).

Tyler Potts is 197/321 for 3000 yards, 31 TDs & 24 INTs.
Steven Sheffield is 21/36 for 617 yards, 9 TDs & 4 INTs. 

The INTs are killing me.  At least 5 or 6 of them have been pick sixes, and 5 or 6 others were in the end zone.  I have led in the 2nd half of every game, I think.

RD™

It's not easy.

I will finish my dynasty tonight. Interested to see if my quarterback stays in the Heisman talks, even though with my record and such.

HA_Fan

Well, I might have turned the corner with back to back wins against #7 Nebraska (in triple overtime) and #15 Texas A&M (by 4 TDs).

Through 8 games my QB is 265/415 for 3967 yards with 41 TDs and 27 INTs.
My #1 receiver has 74 catches for 1426 yards and 12 TDs.

jbell96

I think I'm going to do start one of these tonight when I get home. Not sure what team I'll use though.

EDIT
I'm going to use Bowling Green. I just looked at the team passing YPG leaders & decided to go with them.

RD™

Well the season is over.

Here were the final stats

528-757 passing

7860 yards

90 Touchdowns

31 Interceptions

604 yards per game

Sacked 22 Times

5 Receivers over 1,100 yards each and at least 10 Touchdowns

FINAL SCORES WERE:

49-21 over South Carolina 684 yards passing
36-37 loss to Georgia Tech 598 yards passing
41-35 upset over #2 undefeated Florida 40-50 (best completion percentage) 488 yards
56-34 over Kentucky 595 yards
40-26 over Tennessee 40-60 495 yards

Finished 2d In Heisman to His Holiness

and defeated Iowa in Capital One Bowl 50-47

This was fun, hard at times, final record was 9-4 but at times, I looked bad. Conclusion, you need a good defense and a sound running game to win. The computer was 3-2-6 or Prevent Most of the game.

jbell96

Jeez this is hard. (That's what she said)

So Far
(1-0. 0-0) Beat FCS team 63-3
Not much to say here. I forgot to change the default settings before I selected my game, luckily I was able to change difficultly level before starting the game, however I had to play 5 minute quarters so you could probably add at least 2 TD's with 6 minute quarters

(1-1, 0-1) Lost @ LSU 21-49
Night game @ Death Valley was teh suck. I threw 5 picks in the 1st half & was down 28-0 after the 1st quarter. I played them even the rest of the way & only had one pick. I never really could get in a flow on offense. All three of my touchdowns were either set up by a big play or a big play in itself.

(2-1, 1-1) Won Mississippi State 55-21
At one point I had to check & make sure it was on All American I was dominating so much. My QB went 39-58 for 545 yards and 7 TD's.

(3-1, 1-1) Won @ Rice 38-20
I am glad they suck because anyone else would've destroyed me. My QB went 38-64 for 504 yards 5 TD's & 5 int's.

(3-2, 1-2) Lost Ole Miss 20-41
I was up 20-13 late in the first half then Ole Miss scored 28 unanswered to beat me. FWIW, I hate the BS interceptions that happen when you get hit while throwing the ball. That crap hardly ever happens in real life, but it happened to me 3 times in this game. I'll post my QB stats when I get home, but I know for sure I had 2 TD's & 4 Int's.

(4-2, 1-2) Won Army 73-27
They only scored 27 because they ran two kickoffs back on super sim. I was trying really hard to get 80 in this game, but I ran out of time with the ball at their 25. My QB had 9 TD passes for me.

Up Next
vs. #20 Georgia

SMC

I have to play my game @ LSU next. I started it the other day but stopped because the guy came to fix my cable.

At that point it was 21-21 in the 3rd quarter and I had thrown 3 interceptions, 2 of them in the red zone and the other on the first play of the game that he returned to the 1 yard line.

Chief_Osceola™

jbell96

I quit on this experiment. When someone as good at this game as RD goes 9-4 on All American I think that proves how difficult the challenge is.

RD™

Quote from: jbell96 on December 23, 2009, 10:59:58 am
I quit on this experiment. When someone as good at this game as RD goes 9-4 on All American I think that proves how difficult the challenge is.
Twasn't easy. I got bored with my No Pass Challenge. I am now considering another one.

jbell96

It is frustrating losing when you know you can beat the team your playing, but have the handicap of not running the ball.

HA_Fan

Finally finished my Texas Tech dynasty tonight.

I finished the season 8-5, losing to Bama in 4 OTs in the Cotton Bowl 61-59 (missed the 2 point conversion).  My go-to receiver had 28 catches for 378 yards and 6 TDs.

My WR won the Heisman, and my QB was the runner up.

Season Stats:
Tyler Potts (QB) - 483/767 (62%) for 6978 yards with 74 TDs and 41 INTs.

Detron Lewis (WR) - 162 receptions for 2683 yards and 24 TDs
Alexander Torres (WR) - 62 receptions for 1040 yards and 11 TDs
Baron Batch (RB) - 89 receptions for 937 yards and 12 TDs
Edward Britton (WR) - 48 receptions for 840 yards and 9 TDs
Lyle Leong (WR) - 44 receptions for 589 yards and 2 TDs
Tramain Swindall (WR) - 40 receptions for 543 yards and 11 TDs
Adam James (TE) - 25 receptions for 378 yards and 3 TDs
Omar Castillo (TE) - 15 receptions for 260 yards and 4 TDs

Thanks for the idea, RD.

RD™

jbell96

I actually had an easier time inside the 5. I usually ran PA & hit a RB in the flat & it worked quite a bit.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: jbell96 on December 29, 2009, 11:39:26 am
I actually had an easier time inside the 5. I usually ran PA & hit a RB in the flat & it worked quite a bit.
I'm doing this with Hawaii and I have a play I always use inside the 5. Its spread trips and the inside guy on the trip side does a 5 yard hook. He is open almost every time.

AB™

So when is someone going to try the next obvious one, and play with Navy or Army and run nothing but the option and throw zero passes?

I had a dynasty with Houston, where by year 4, I was running hte ball probably only 10-15 times a game.  Of course most of them were inside the 5 yard line.  I was able to find a pass play or two that was more than moderately successful inside the five.

AB™

nvm

Haven't been to the video games board in awhile.  Just saw some of the no pass threads.

How about this challenge:

You HAVE to kick a FG anytime you get the ball inside the 30.  So you REALLY have to rely on a great defense and playing with Florida or Alabama wouldn't be looked down upon.  Meaning, unless you score TD's of 30+ yards then you have to kick a FG on the very next play.  Even if you throw a 68 yard pass from your own 20 and get taken down around your opponent's 20 you have to kick a FG on the very next play.

Only reason I'm suggesting and not doing is because I just got rid of my 360 and don't have any NCAA Football games for my PS3 yet.

HorseFeathers

dc24

Quote from: AB™ on January 03, 2010, 11:24:19 pm
nvm

Haven't been to the video games board in awhile.  Just saw some of the no pass threads.

How about this challenge:

You HAVE to kick a FG anytime you get the ball inside the 30.  So you REALLY have to rely on a great defense and playing with Florida or Alabama wouldn't be looked down upon.  Meaning, unless you score TD's of 30+ yards then you have to kick a FG on the very next play.  Even if you throw a 68 yard pass from your own 20 and get taken down around your opponent's 20 you have to kick a FG on the very next play.

Only reason I'm suggesting and not doing is because I just got rid of my 360 and don't have any NCAA Football games for my PS3 yet.

Interesting...

AB™

What brought that though about is I sort of did this on NCAA '09 last year.  I had a San Jose State dynasty going, and after year 2 (26-0 two BCS bowl wins in the first two years) I got tired of not having a kicker that was only in range once I got to about the 25.  I created a recruit, a kicker with a big leg (ended up being a 5 star only because I maxed out his kick acc. and kick power) and somehow landed him.  In year's 3 and 4 of the dynasty I ended up making something like a combined 135 FG's with him.  I had built up a good enough team where I could run up the score in the firs half (usually only kicked 1 maybe 2 FG's per game in the 1st half with him) and be up by 28+ by halftime.  After that I started toying around trying to figure out his range.  I started off by kicking FG's in the second half every time I got to the 40 yard line.  After he mad four or five 57 yarders with ease, I started doing the same thing once I got to the 45.  Once it was clear he could easily make 60-62 yarders (unless there was a 5-7+ MPH wind blowing at against him) I started trying FG's from the 47.  I think the longest I ever attempted was a 67 or 69 yarder.  The ball was on the 50 or my own 49 and he barely missed it short.  I did make a few 65 and 66 yarders in games where I had a good wind at my back.  It was interesting to say the least.  Poor guy never even got into the Heisman watch at any point of the two seasons I played with him, despite going something like 72/75 on FG's in his second year.

AB™

I've played this game religiously since the 2003 version, and had plenty of times where the game go too easy and boring and I messed around with a lot of things similar to these.  Another one that comes to mind.  Every time my opponent scored I would fair catch the kickoff, unless it was in the endzone, then I would run it out of bounds between the 5 and 10 yard line.  One year ('07 I think) I had gotten 6 or 7 years into a UNC dynasty and decided to create three super recruits.  Two 6'8" WR's and a 6'6" scrambling QB.  I landed all three and that's when I started probably 80% of my drives inside my own 20 the next season.  I would run punts backwards, fair catch kick-offs and/or punts inside my own 20, etc.  I found a pass play that worked great where the TE would be wide open if neither of my WR's were able to get open.  I just needed a fast TE due to the route, so I moved this All-American RB that had worked his way up to a 97 or 98 overall with 98 speed to TE (he was 6'2" 225) and I think he and the two WR's all went over 100 catches and 1,000 yards receiving. 

RD™

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas