• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Marvin Newton Classic @ Viola

Started by bulldog42, November 19, 2014, 07:42:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog42

Here is the schedule for the annual day after Thanksgiving classic at Viola.  Should be some good games.
Marvin Newton Classic (Viola)
November 28, 2014

11:00 – Viola vs Salem – Boys
12:15 – Cedar Ridge vs ICC – Boys
1:30 – Gainesville vs ICC – Girls
2:45 – Valley Springs vs Gainesville – Boys
4:00 – Flippin vs Salem – Girls
5:15 – Flippin vs Rosebud – Boys
6:30 – Viola vs Bakersfield - Girls

ballmember

Great games and the monies go to scholarships to seniors that play in these games.   So I understand.  Someone with more knowledge can add to this.   

Baller_34

Always good games at this classic. Money does go to a good cause so if your in the area stop in and watch some good ball. Early predictions?

ballmember

I think Gainesville boys will beat Valley Springs boys.  Not seen Gainesville this year just heard might be better than last year.  Thought they were good last year.   I have seen Valley Springs.   

Baller_34

Any predictions for Fridays games? I think Cedar Ridge and ICC will be good but I think Cedar will pull it out. Any body know anything about Rosebud boys? 

NEA Razorback olfan

Ctucker

ballmember

Viola boys beats Salem.  Viola boys have improved.
Cedar Ridge boys over ICC.  Could be a good one. 
Gainesville beats ICC girls, unless they graduated a whole bunch!

Gainesville boys beats Valley Springs. Gainesville boys very well coached.
Flippin beats Salem girls.   Just a guess.
Flippin beats Rosebud boys. However, Rosebud has much better bunch this year.
Viola over Bakersfield girls.  I think that is a tradition.   

Baller_34

I've seen Salem and Flippin girls play and I would b shocked if this was to close. Salem by 12.

TheGovernor

I could see a close game between Gainesville and Valley.
I have watched a couple rose bud boys games this year because I use to follow them back in the day, they are improved. However Flippin has more talent I will take Flippin in this one.
Cedar boys will win by 20.
I know nothing about other teams

SoftballMom

Needing some help if all possible; Does anyone know Gainesville, Valley Springs, and Salem current record?

WPWells

12th Man has never heard of Gainesville

TheGovernor

SoftballMom

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 27, 2014, 09:26:50 pm
12th Man has never heard of Gainesville

Gainesville is out of Missouri, across the Arkansas line. Heard they could knock off Valley.

PuddlePirate12

Does Zach Prothro coach at rosebud? I think that's his first name.. Had a brother named Zeb

ballmember

Gainesville will be playing their first game of the year.  Had opportunity to see them 3 times last year and was very impressed.   should be fun.

TheGovernor

November 28, 2014, 08:41:47 am #16 Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:43:30 am by TheGovernor
Will be closer than people think between Gainesville  and Valley. Since valley has around 10 games under there belt.
And yes puddle pirate. I believe prothro is coaching at rose bud. Pretty sure this is the start of his second year there.

Baller_34

Gainesville looked really good last year but not sure who they lost off that team. If they didn't lose many players then they will beat Valley. I would have love to seen Cedar and Flippin play. Gonna be some good games though.

NoPlace2

CR played sloppy - couldn't get the ball to drop - should have lost in reg but beat ICC in OT 9-0 and won game 54-45. ICC missed a free throw with 1.5 sec in Reg.

Viola was up by 15 over Salem well into the 3rd period and Salem scrapped back to within 4 at one point in 4th - Final Viola 66-59

doubled

Cr did play sloppy but Icc is hard to beat that close to home and the ref's were letting icc get away with everything. Besides that ICC is really good team also.

bulldog42

Sr boys end of 3
Gainesville 58
Valley Springs 49

NoPlace2

Quote from: doubled on November 28, 2014, 03:36:36 pm
Cr did play sloppy but Icc is hard to beat that close to home and the ref's were letting icc get away with everything. Besides that ICC is really good team also.

I agree - ICC has a good team - any given night Cr would win by 20+ - just didn't really show that today - you are also right about the refs - too bad it's that way though - refs should not have an impact on these games - I see very few refs in our travels that are competent!

bulldog42

Going to overtime tied at 85.   Gainesville could not make a fre throw

bulldog42

Sr boys final
Gainesville 101
Valley Springs 98

NoPlace2

November 28, 2014, 05:21:44 pm #24 Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:25:28 pm by NoPlace2
how did Salem Girls end up? Guess they play next according to schedule huh? - Must be late by over an hour this afternoon - Anyone know the ICC Girls score?

bulldog42

Salem girls won by 6
Flippin boys 36 Rosebud 14 at half

bulldog42

Baller_34

I thought the officiating was pretty good in ICC game with Cedar myself. It looked to me like a lot of flopping around instead of playing ball.

doubled

Baller 34 I'm sure u did think it was good. Because ICC was getting away with everything. It was called tight at first but as soon as the ref's seen icc wouldn't have a man left on the court they let it get out of hand. CR didn't play very well that's for sure but neither did ICC both teams didn't look their best.

Baller_34

Don't know what u mean by that cause I don't care for ICC at all and love watching Cedar play. Do coaches make mistakes in games, yes. Do players run the right play all the time, no. Do fans make wrong judgments sometimes, yes. Get off the officials backs and just enjoy the game. I'll b the first to say that Cedar didn't play good but it wasn't the officials faults.

ballmember

7  games played.  6 games very competitive.   Enjoyed the first 4 games better than I could have imagined.  This was an outstanding lineup.    The only comment that i heard that committee might consider; is to bring in referees that are not from the area.  Dont know how possible that is.   

If you missed this Classic, you missed a great one!!

Baller_34

So u think there was officials that were favoring teams then? I thought it was great all day!!

J.D.

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on November 27, 2014, 10:31:31 pm
Does Zach Prothro coach at rosebud? I think that's his first name.. Had a brother named Zeb

Yes

ballmember

Baller 34 I was there watching games and had no school in the race, so I do not know if officials were calling one sided; usually feel that way when I am for a certain team.  I think it would just eliminate doubts that it was happening,  hearing rumbles in the crowd, and that is natural when local officials are involved.  I saw some bad calls made; will see some when out of area  unknown officials  are calling.   However, will eliminate local fans thinking local officials calling against them.   Also, might cause local good teams to want to come back,   just a thought.   

Baller_34

Well I can tell u for a fact cause I know everyone that was officiating and they could careless who won or lost. It's just amazing how people get so wrapped up in who's calling the game. My old coach would always say that you could never blame the game on the refs.

doubled

We're those ref's local are not baller 34 ? I mean I see the same ones every year. As far as the refs, like I said if they would have keep calling the way they did the first quarter and half ICC would have had to go to the stands to find players. It was a brutal game with a lot of contact  making  teams on both sides look sloppy. ICC is a tough team that will make a run in 1a this year I was very impressed with them.

doubled

Baller as saying for a fact that ref's don't favor one team are another is a bold statement. Do u have lunch with those guys all the time are maybe your a ref lol.

Baller_34

You couldn't pay me enough to ref lol but I do know them very well. I know enough about games to know that u adjust as the game goes on. They are local but again I think they do as good of job as any that would b brought from somewhere else. Just go down to the NEC at Jonesboro and u would appreciate the calling we have.

doubled

I agree about NEA I was there for the hillis charge  call against CR playing Nettleton. U do have a just to the ref's that's part of the game for sure.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas