• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Results from Central Tournament

Started by IAFLAR7, December 06, 2009, 03:30:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IAFLAR7

December 06, 2009, 03:30:52 pm Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:33:16 am by salinecountyfan
Don't remember the points for each team or the order of placement after #4 but here is the top 4:

1. Central
2. Catholic
3. North Pulaski
4. Bryant

Other teams in tournament:

Bismark
Jonesboro
Mountain View
Arkansas School for the Deaf and Blind
Oak Grove
Little Rock Christian
Episcopal Collegiate

One of the most amazing things I have ever seen is these kids from Arkansas School for the Deaf and Blind being guided out to the middle of the mat and seeing them compete, in most cases they pinned their opponent or won by decision. I don't believe they had wrestlers at every weight. Thus, they did not place as high from a team perspective.

Walter

I bet that would be something to see. Win or lose.

johnharrison

In the past, I don't remember kids from the School for the Deaf wrestling, but the Blind School has a tradition of wrestling that goes back years (they don't do so well at basketball!)  So of these kids had fathers who wrestled, so the Blind School may have more wrestling experience than any school in the state.

Most of the kids are partially sighted and don't have to be led around.  A few can even read the brackets if they are written with dark ink and they get real close.   But there is at least one kid, is Yarberry back?, who have severe limitations.  His ability to hold someone's right arm and left leg and know EXACTLY what and where the left arm and right leg are was nothing short of amazing.

The students and coaches deserve props for their success.

IAFLAR7

Quote from: johnharrison on December 08, 2009, 07:57:59 am
In the past, I don't remember kids from the School for the Deaf wrestling, but the Blind School has a tradition of wrestling that goes back years (they don't do so well at basketball!)  So of these kids had fathers who wrestled, so the Blind School may have more wrestling experience than any school in the state.

Most of the kids are partially sighted and don't have to be led around.  A few can even read the brackets if they are written with dark ink and they get real close.   But there is at least one kid, is Yarberry back?, who have severe limitations.  His ability to hold someone's right arm and left leg and know EXACTLY what and where the left arm and right leg are was nothing short of amazing.

The students and coaches deserve props for their success.
Not sure about the names but there was one that won his weight class who definitely had limitations. He was probably like 140 or 145.
Odell Lee (189) of Bryant went there last year. He is albino but pretty much functions normally. He may have been the most impressive wrestler in the tournament and is only a soph. He is also supposed to be a really good football player and will be playing for Bryant next year.

cradle01

yes, yarberry is back and yes odell went to bryant.They are both extraordinary atheletes and will be something to watch when they wrestle.I also know that there is a kid from A.S.B that wrestles in 135 and his name is A.J. and is undefeated and can and probably take it all this year at state.I look forward to watching them all.

IAFLAR7

Quote from: cradle01 on January 17, 2010, 03:18:11 pm
yes, yarberry is back and yes odell went to bryant.They are both extraordinary atheletes and will be something to watch when they wrestle.I also know that there is a kid from A.S.B that wrestles in 135 and his name is A.J. and is undefeated and can and probably take it all this year at state.I look forward to watching them all.
He is at 135? He will have his hands full with Ben Cline from Central. Ben was runner-up last year and has worked extremely hard this year. There is also a tough wrestler from Conway (not sure of his name) at 135. Should be interesting.
As for Odell, he seems to have acquired quite the reputation lately as a very agressive wrestler. All of his matches usually get everyone's attention in the arena. Last Saturday at the Cabot team dual tournament Odell hip tossed a kid from Russellville and pinned him in about 10 seconds. The place went nuts when he did it..

wampuscatblue

Ben Cline is very good.  I don't know much about wrestling but I've see him wrestle a couple of times.  The Conway kid is Sophomore Corven Alexander.  He is in the 130 class.  I think he's lost once this year.  Last week in Conway he pinned some kid from Catholic who was the state champ last year. 
Conway's best wrestler has only wrestled 4 times this year because of football injuries.  He was the 3rd place guy at 145 last season as a sophomore. 
this is a fun sport to watch.  Conway is hosting a big tournament some time soon. 

IAFLAR7

Quote from: wampuscatblue on January 19, 2010, 11:25:19 pm
Ben Cline is very good.  I don't know much about wrestling but I've see him wrestle a couple of times.  The Conway kid is Sophomore Corven Alexander.  He is in the 130 class.  I think he's lost once this year.  Last week in Conway he pinned some kid from Catholic who was the state champ last year. 
Conway's best wrestler has only wrestled 4 times this year because of football injuries.  He was the 3rd place guy at 145 last season as a sophomore. 
this is a fun sport to watch.  Conway is hosting a big tournament some time soon. 
Yeah, if we are talking about the same kid from Conway I think he wrestled 135 last weekend. I know that because he wrestled my son. Then when they went up to Conway for a scrimmage this week he wrestled 130.
I think he beat Andrew Wells from Catholic. Very surprising since Wells was the state champ last year. Wells is very good and trains at the academy with Cline. I don't think he saw that one coming.

wampuscatblue

My nephew is on the team.  They hosted a JV meet tonight with Benton and LR Christian.  I hear the Conway team keeps losing players (do we call them players?) to injuries and quitting.  They had a 3 hour practice yesterday and my nephew told his dad that only about 30 kids were there.  The 135 broke his arm the other night against Bryant.  Their 140 pounder cut weight this week to wrestle at 135 at CAC.  He was 4-0 Saturday at 145. 

I also heard the kids talking tonight that Jemarkus might be back in action next week.  He was 3rd in the state at 145 last season.   

IAFLAR7

Quote from: wampuscatblue on January 21, 2010, 10:22:23 pm
My nephew is on the team.  They hosted a JV meet tonight with Benton and LR Christian.  I hear the Conway team keeps losing players (do we call them players?) to injuries and quitting.  They had a 3 hour practice yesterday and my nephew told his dad that only about 30 kids were there.  The 135 broke his arm the other night against Bryant.  Their 140 pounder cut weight this week to wrestle at 135 at CAC.  He was 4-0 Saturday at 145. 

I also heard the kids talking tonight that Jemarkus might be back in action next week.  He was 3rd in the state at 145 last season.  

How did Benton look?

135 broke his arm against Bryant?  That is my son's weight. He didn't mention anything about anyone getting hurt. Maybe it was a backup?

And you call them wrestlers, not player (lol)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas