• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You won't believe what Bentonville is paying Basketball coaches

Started by Quite Frankly, July 30, 2009, 12:54:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Quite Frankly

http://nwanews.com/bcdr/Sports/75841/

The new high school boys coach(McMahan) is getting $79,502.

The girls high school head coach just got a bump of $18,000 to $80,000.

They each will teach 3 PE classes as well.  WOW!  The girls coach (Halbmaier) has a record of 126-100 in his 8 years at BHS.

The bar has been raised and it'll be of some note at that those salaries will at the top of the West if not statewide for basketball compared to others by education level and years on the job.

Billyo62

Baitshop

Yeah......the guys that worked for Hitler got payed extra too....... :-\

Billyo62

Quote from: Baitshop on July 30, 2009, 02:58:05 pm

Hitler, wasn't that one of your D-lineman that couldn't tackle anyone last year, and actually let our Slow linebacker , filling in as an RB, run 90yds for a TD on you rebs last year?

Baitshop

Quote from: Billyo62 on July 30, 2009, 03:30:27 pm
Quote from: Baitshop on July 30, 2009, 02:58:05 pm

Hitler, wasn't that one of your D-lineman that couldn't tackle anyone last year, and actually let our Slow linebacker , filling in as an RB, run 90yds for a TD on you rebs last year?

No that was "Hitless"......he was the first chair tuba player in the band until he decided that he needed to defend the honor of our Dixie Belles from those loogie spittin' cheerleaders that you guys have......

Smithian

What. The. heck.

This is a product of misplaced priorities at BHS... That much for high school basketall coaches? and average ones at best!

Fort Smith Northside has the best boy's and girl's basketball coaches in the state and neither is paid that much. Fort Smith Southside has been in the football state championship twice in the last three years and has one of if not the lowest paid head coach in the 7A West. The teachers are paid well, but still. I guess in the River Valley we don't have to overpay just to keep people around.

dwade534

the fact is that the school district has the money to pay the coaches, and the ft. smith districts dont. i would venture to say that if other districts had the same amount of money that they might have higher paid coaches too.

Billyo62

Quote from: Smithian on August 01, 2009, 12:13:44 am
What. The. heck.

This is a product of misplaced priorities at BHS... That much for high school basketall coaches? and average ones at best!

Fort Smith Northside has the best boy's and girl's basketball coaches in the state and neither is paid that much. Fort Smith Southside has been in the football state championship twice in the last three years and has one of if not the lowest paid head coach in the 7A West. The teachers are paid well, but still. I guess in the River Valley we don't have to overpay just to keep people around.

Laughing...  Just Laughing!

Tommy TIGER

What. The. heck.

I don't think priorities are misplaced, let's compare ACT scores and see where your school is compared to Bentonville. Better yet let us just look at the kids who play a sport!!!! I think you will find that these kids are very good in the classroom and very good on the field. Don't forget that this is a BLUE RIBBON SCHOOL and you get that for work in the classroom.

LW and Compton are the ones that need to be called to task for the amount of money that the B-Ball Coaches are being paid I think

Baitshop

What. The. heck.

This is not necessarily true any longer.........

LionCatfan

Quote from: Tommy TIGER on August 02, 2009, 06:47:44 pm
What. The. heck.

I don't think priorities are missed placed, let's compair ACT scores and see where your school is compaired to Bentonville. Better yet let us just look at the kids who play a sport!!!! I think you will find that these kids are very good in the classroom and very good on the field. Don't forget that this is a BLUE RIBBON SCHOOL and you get that for work in the classroom.

LW and Compton are the ones that need to be called to task for the amount of money that the B-Ball Coaches are being paid I think

Try using the spell check option....looks much better when posting about ACT scores  & BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS ....

ricepig

Quote from: LionCatfan on August 03, 2009, 08:38:17 am
What. The. heck.

I don't think priorities are missed placed, let's compair ACT scores and see where your school is compaired to Bentonville. Better yet let us just look at the kids who play a sport!!!! I think you will find that these kids are very good in the classroom and very good on the field. Don't forget that this is a BLUE RIBBON SCHOOL and you get that for work in the classroom.

Try using the spell check option....looks much better when posting about ACT scores  & BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS ....

He didn't say that he was a graduate of this fine school.

Tommy TIGER

I'm not but my DD will be!!! I'm just a poor dumb redneck Arkansas Boy!!!! ;D ;D ;D

LionCatfan

Quote from: Tommy TIGER on August 03, 2009, 03:50:44 pm
I'm not but my DD will be!!! I'm just a poor dumb redneck Arkansas Boy!!!! ;D ;D ;D
...to those of us that hail from the state of Arkansas we must admit there is a little REDNECK in all of us...AND self admission is the first sign that you are on the road to recovery!! LOL

LCfan

Smithian

Tommy TIGER, no one attacks Fort Smith Southside on academics. Nobody.

Quote from: Tommy TIGER on August 02, 2009, 06:47:44 pmI don't think priorities are misplaced, let's compare ACT scores and see where your school is compared to Bentonville. Better yet let us just look at the kids who play a sport!!!! I think you will find that these kids are very good in the classroom and very good on the field. Don't forget that this is a BLUE RIBBON SCHOOL and you get that for work in the classroom.
The Fort Smith school district will not officially release numbers for Southside and Northside individually, but Southside's individual AP scores, ACT scores, college acceptance, and college graduation rates are higher than any school in Northwest Arkansas. Fort Smith Southside may look very drab outside and we may not pamper kids with awesome facilities and beautiful foyers and hallways, but it is a true environment for learning. Plus, Southside is the only school in the nation to have two students get perfect scores on the SAT, both coming in the last 10 years. And, since it has been brought up before, Southside's graduating students had a high average scholarship amount than Bentonville students this year. Oh yeah, the "Blue Ribbon" stuff?  Southside has won that award three times already, and we also have the Siemens AP Award for 2008.

Bentonville is an excellent school, but please don't call out Southside. I think a good school is a good school is a good school, but when you act like your high school of interest is better than my alma mater and act snotty about it, it is very offensive.

Billyo62

Quote from: Smithian on August 03, 2009, 04:48:51 pm
Tommy TIGER, no one attacks Fort Smith Southside on academics. Nobody.

Quote from: Tommy TIGER on August 02, 2009, 06:47:44 pmI don't think priorities are misplaced, let's compare ACT scores and see where your school is compared to Bentonville. Better yet let us just look at the kids who play a sport!!!! I think you will find that these kids are very good in the classroom and very good on the field. Don't forget that this is a BLUE RIBBON SCHOOL and you get that for work in the classroom.
The Fort Smith school district will not officially release numbers for Southside and Northside individually, but Southside's individual AP scores, ACT scores, college acceptance, and college graduation rates are higher than any school in Northwest Arkansas. Fort Smith Southside may look very drab outside and we may not pamper kids with awesome facilities and beautiful foyers and hallways, but it is a true environment for learning. Plus, Southside is the only school in the nation to have two students get perfect scores on the SAT, both coming in the last 10 years. And, since it has been brought up before, Southside's graduating students had a high average scholarship amount than Bentonville students this year. Oh yeah, the "Blue Ribbon" stuff?  Southside has won that award three times already, and we also have the Siemens AP Award for 2008.

Bentonville is an excellent school, but please don't call out Southside. I think a good school is a good school is a good school, but when you act like your high school of interest is better than my alma mater and act snotty about it, it is very offensive.

Yea, all that may be true but those powder blue and silver girlie colored football uniforms are butt ugly....so there!  :P

Smithian

Haha, ok. I like the uni's, but I think Rogers still beats us all out on uniforms. For some reason, I love their jerseys.

Ty

What. The. heck.

I don't think priorities are misplaced, let's compare ACT scores and see where your school is compared to Bentonville. Better yet let us just look at the kids who play a sport!!!! I think you will find that these kids are very good in the classroom and very good on the field. Don't forget that this is a BLUE RIBBON SCHOOL and you get that for work in the classroom.

Are you serious?

Nobody in the area tops Southside when it comes to academics and certainly not Bentonville. Fayetteville would actually be the school that has the claim to second place.

reggiebushfan

Fort Smith Northside has the best boy's and girl's basketball coaches in the state and neither is paid that much.
Smith is a great coach. He may be the best in the state. I think it would be arguable at best though.

Mason is not the best coach in his own conference. He is very good, but nobody gets more out of what they have than Marty Barnes. He has a top tier basketball mind.

Tommy TIGER

Did I say anything about Southside, did I say Southside is a bad school DID I don't think so..All I can say is prove it!!! Show me the proof and I will eat the crow that so many of you think I need to, but until then Bentonville in my book is # 1. The smartest kid in school is the QB how many schools can say that. What I'm talking about is the fact that the Bentonville kids that play a sport are also very good in the classroom. I'm glad to know Southside is the same not many years ago the classroom was a joke in this state.

Ty

Quote from: Tommy TIGER on August 03, 2009, 11:37:14 pm
Did I say anything about Southside, did I say Southside is a bad school DID I don't think so..All I can say is prove it!!! Show me the proof and I will eat the crow that so many of you think I need to, but until then Bentonville in my book is # 1. The smartest kid in school is the QB how many schools can say that. What I'm talking about is the fact that the Bentonville kids that play a sport are also very good in the classroom. I'm glad to know Southside is the same not many years ago the classroom was a joke in this state.
You didn't directly say anything about Southside, but by implying that Bentonville's academics were the best in the state, you brought other schools into the conversation. Southside and Fayetteville have had the top academics in the region for a lengthy period of time and most people know that. Money can buy a lot of things, but Bentonville still falls short in a few areas.

Also, what relevance does the QB being the smartest kid in the school (in your opinion) have to the conversation? Is that any different than the swim captain being the smartest kid in the school? Or perhaps the lead clarinet player? I would be willing to say with over 300 schools in Arkansas, that the odds of a QB being the smartest kid at another school are decent. But that would fail in comparison to almighty Bentonville, right?

Tommy TIGER

RGP

Spud McKenzie

FYI:  National Rankings
Rank       School
63          Little Rock Central
427        Fayetteville
681        Bentonville
1001      Har-Ber
1018      Conway
1138      Southside
1180      Rogers
1366      Springdale

These are overall national overall rankings in the number of Advanced Placement, Intl. Baccalaureate and /or Cambridge Test taken by all students in 2008.. 

Hats off to Little Rock Central who has been in the top 100 since 2005..

There you go TT "just the facts".. 

RGP

Quote from: Spud McKenzie on August 06, 2009, 06:54:03 am
FYI:  National Rankings
Rank       School
63          Little Rock Central
427        Fayetteville
681        Bentonville
1001      Har-Ber
1018      Conway
1138      Southside
1180      Rogers
1366      Springdale

These are overall national overall rankings in the number of Advanced Placement, Intl. Baccalaureate and /or Cambridge Test taken by all students in 2008.. 

Hats off to Little Rock Central who has been in the top 100 since 2005..

There you go TT "just the facts".. 
A few thoughts on Newsweek's "rankings".....

1. The rankings are based on one factor: "The number of Advanced Placement, Intl. Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge tests taken by all students at a school in 2008 divided by the number of graduating seniors." These tests are administered in early May. Thus, the list gives an undue advantage for schools where students leave early-- sometimes for college, but most often because of dropouts. Many schools on the list have high dropout rates.

2. The list takes the tests taken by ALL the students in a school and divides that by the number of graduating SENIORS. What about schools with 50 seniors but 150 sophomores? What about schools with 500 seniors and 350 juniors? It doesn't measure the academics of a school but of a class, and even at that it is flawed.

3. Many extremely bright students don't even take AP/IB/CT courses. Whether it be because they feel they can get more out of a different class, aren't interested in all of the courses, or want to take the courses at college to appear more qualified for graduate schools, the rankings are flawed for taking only optional course tests into account.

4. Most importantly, this ranking isn't about a school's ability to teach and a measurement of the bright minds of the students. This measures the NUMBER of students that take AP/IB/CT tests.

I thought the goal was to score high on tests, not to just take as many as possible. Many of the schools on the list have a low average test score.

So by this formula was the 2008 Arkansas football team better than the 1964 squad because they played more games? No.

That list doesn't provide "just the facts." It provides A fact, which is which schools have the most tests taken.

Southside doesn't claim to have the most AP tests taken, or the most AP courses offered. Just that we have the best scores in the state.

benchball

Carl

Quote from: RGP on August 06, 2009, 02:13:58 pm
That list doesn't provide "just the facts." It provides A fact, which is which schools have the most tests taken.

a.  I'd like to see those ACT rankings.  Not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

b.  Fayetteville takes great pride in having the most AP scholars in the state (11% of the state's total), which requires that students not only take the tests, but score well.  And how is the number of students who take advanced classes not a measure of a school's academics? 

c.  Mississippi sometimes has higher average SAT scores than Massachusetts.  Why?  Because only the top students in Miss take the test while everyone in Mass takes it.  So average score is not a perfect measure either.

d.  If you're talking top students, Fayetteville and LR Central annually have more National Merit Scholars than anyone else.  This past year Fayetteville and LR Central each had 10 semifinalists while Bentonville had 5 and Southside 4.

e.  Some great students come from lots of schools.  I've always been under the impression that Fayetteville and LR Central were the tops, but if you say Southside is better, I won't argue.  I don't know.

RGP

Quote from: Carl on August 06, 2009, 08:27:47 pm
a.  I'd like to see those ACT rankings.  Not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.
The FSPS often tries to keep those figures hidden to not show the disparity between NHS and SHS. I've just been told that by school administrators and faculty.
Quote from: Carl on August 06, 2009, 08:27:47 pmb.  Fayetteville takes great pride in having the most AP scholars in the state (11% of the state's total), which requires that students not only take the tests, but score well.  And how is the number of students who take advanced classes not a measure of a school's academics?
The most AP scholars means you have the most students who have scored a 3 or higher on three AP tests. A score of 3 is average on a scale of 1-5. At one of the largest schools in the state, with one of the largest AP programs in the state, this isn't that great of an accomplishment.

The number of students who take Advanced Placement classes isn't a measure of a school's academics, it simply means that the school offers plenty of Advanced Placement courses. Believe it or not, AP isn't that hard to get certified to teach and many clowns teach AP courses. Just because a course is labled AP doesn't mean it's better than all the others.

Quote from: Carl on August 06, 2009, 08:27:47 pmMississippi sometimes has higher average SAT scores than Massachusetts.  Why?  Because only the top students in Miss take the test while everyone in Mass takes it.  So average score is not a perfect measure either.
No one was saying it was...?

Quote from: Carl on August 06, 2009, 08:27:47 pmIf you're talking top students, Fayetteville and LR Central annually have more National Merit Scholars than anyone else.  This past year Fayetteville and LR Central each had 10 semifinalists while Bentonville had 5 and Southside 4.
This was no doubt a down year for Southside in National Merit finalists. Two years ago, Southside had 14 finalists. Not using this as much of an excuse, but all of the schools ahead of Southside had 300 or more students.

Smithian

Didn't Southside have some girl win an AP award or something?

joling03

Quote from: QF© on July 30, 2009, 12:54:37 pm

They each will teach 3 PE classes as well.  WOW!  The girls coach (Halbmaier) has a record of 126-100 in his 8 years at BHS.

The bar has been raised and it'll be of some note at that those salaries will at the top of the West if not statewide for basketball compared to others by education level and years on the job.
Coach Olsen for Heritage get paid $150,000 a year

Quite Frankly

Quote from: joling03 on November 09, 2009, 11:08:32 am
Quote from: QF© on July 30, 2009, 12:54:37 pm

Coach Olsen for Heritage get paid $150,000 a year
That equates to about $75,000/win.

Ballfan2

Quote from: Ty on August 04, 2009, 04:34:34 am
You didn't directly say anything about Southside, but by implying that Bentonville's academics were the best in the state, you brought other schools into the conversation. Southside and Fayetteville have had the top academics in the region for a lengthy period of time and most people know that. Money can buy a lot of things, but Bentonville still falls short in a few areas.

Also, what relevance does the QB being the smartest kid in the school (in your opinion) have to the conversation? Is that any different than the swim captain being the smartest kid in the school? Or perhaps the lead clarinet player? I would be willing to say with over 300 schools in Arkansas, that the odds of a QB being the smartest kid at another school are decent. But that would fail in comparison to almighty Bentonville, right?

Yee-Haw

Thursday's season opener
Stilwell, Okla.   73
Bentonville    59

That's a game the Tigers won by 100 last year and every year.

And the Tigers lost their benefit game to Claremore, Okla.,  by 30 on Tuesday.

And the Tigers have new uniforms.......even though they bought new uniforms last year.

If they don't beat Elkins, could be looking at an 0-fer.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas