• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone hearing II? (Bentonville Has Hired)

Started by Quite Frankly, April 14, 2009, 04:18:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty

Quote from: GLion Alum on June 09, 2009, 08:04:52 am
The Benton County Daily Record sports editor in his column today (www.nwanews.com--click on the Daily Record button) lists the following names being rumored for the Bentonville basketball job:

1.  Marty Barnes, Rogers head coach
2.  Jason McMahan, Siloam Springs head coach
3.  Scott Passmore, still employed by the Bentonville system after resigning as Bentonville's Washington Junior High coach in 2005.  Was an assistant at BHS at one time.
4.  Conley Clarke, Rodnei's dad, who was director of basketball operations at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa before resigning to move to NWA when Rodnei signed with the Hogs.  The elder Clarke
has since been serving as director of basketball operations at the All-Star Sports Arena in Springdale.
5.  Eric Burnett, Springdale Har-Ber head coach.
Is this list serious?

Barnes isn't leaving Rogers. Burnett isn't leaving Har-Ber till Mason retires and then he is headed to Northside.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: GLion Alum on June 09, 2009, 08:04:52 am
The Benton County Daily Record sports editor in his column today (www.nwanews.com--click on the Daily Record button) lists the following names being rumored for the Bentonville basketball job:

1.  Marty Barnes, Rogers head coach
2.  Jason McMahan, Siloam Springs head coach
3.  Scott Passmore, still employed by the Bentonville system after resigning as Bentonville's Washington Junior High coach in 2005.  Was an assistant at BHS at one time.
4.  Conley Clarke, Rodnei's dad, who was director of basketball operations at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa before resigning to move to NWA when Rodnei signed with the Hogs.  The elder Clarke
has since been serving as director of basketball operations at the All-Star Sports Arena in Springdale.
5.  Eric Burnett, Springdale Har-Ber head coach.

All these names have been bantered about for a few months.  I told you they'd reach for big names as though it's some kind of special job.  Which it isn't.  I'll give my personal view on each.

1)  Barnes:  This has been out there since last fall and on the face might seem possible.  Barnes only goes were he thinks he can win and the situation is right.  It does have some symmetry to his following Gracy being dismissed in Rogers.  Football is going to be the top priority in Bentonville and he knows that.   He's had quite some time to think about it and look it over.    Odds to get/take it  6:1

2)  McMahan-  Most of this is a repeat from other posts on this thread.  He's a good coach and won't be at SS much longer.  If offered he just has to decide if this is the right time and place to step up to the top.  Odds  4:1

3)  Passmore-  Simply not good enough and would be the one year fall back plan I spoke about before.  Odds 2:1

4)  Clarke-  I'm simply going to say no way and resist the urge to explain why  Odds  375:1

5)  Burnett- He's a shoo-in for a return to Northside after this season.  That's home for him.  He discovered more about politics than ever expected at HBHS and going to BHS would be more of the same.  I don't see why in the world he'd take that job for one year or for that matter more if it developed that way.  Odds 100:1

The campaign is in full force to act like it's something it's not.  Expect a one year hire from inside.

Ty

If they go with the one year plan, I assume it will be Passmore.

If they hire someone for the long term, my money is McMahan.

Billyo62

Quote from: Ty on June 09, 2009, 02:01:27 pm
If they go with the one year plan, I assume it will be Passmore.

If they hire someone for the long term, my money is McMahan.

I doubt it, LW will have that in the contract, It will be SCOREMORE  not Passmore  ;D

GLion Alum

Some good posts to assist me as I view the latest episode of "As the World Turns Around Bentonville."  Thanks!

Baitshop

Quote from: Billyo62 on June 09, 2009, 08:04:28 am
Quote from: baitshop on June 09, 2009, 12:41:27 am
"spidgeon"??......even for us rednecks down here in the river valley, that's a new one.....

Sounds like one of that Kansas City carpetbagger, Billyo's, "I lived in a big city and have a Jesuit school education" words...
Would that be akin to "smidgeon" or "smidgen" or perhaps "smidgin'"??....

OR.....is it a cross between "spigots" and "smidgens"..??..??...which would be something like a "little faucet"........

Sorry, QF, I'm just tuggin' your chain...... ;D ;D ;D

Everytime you mention me , I get a warm fuzzy...Thanks Bait!   ;D

That's funny.....whenever I think about you, I never think warm OR fuzzy.......

But I am not surprised that you feel that way about yourself..... :o

GO CHIEFS!!......whooo hoooo!! ::)

Billyo62

Quote from: baitshop on June 09, 2009, 09:59:12 pm
"spidgeon"??......even for us rednecks down here in the river valley, that's a new one.....

Sounds like one of that Kansas City carpetbagger, Billyo's, "I lived in a big city and have a Jesuit school education" words...

OR.....is it a cross between "spigots" and "smidgens"..??..??...which would be something like a "little faucet"........

Everytime you mention me , I get a warm fuzzy...Thanks Bait!   ;D

At least we have an NFL team...... unlike any city in Arkansas!  ;D

Baitshop

Quote from: Billyo62 on June 10, 2009, 09:03:10 am
Quote from: baitshop on June 09, 2009, 09:59:12 pm

Everytime you mention me , I get a warm fuzzy...Thanks Bait!   ;D

At least we have an NFL team...... unlike any city in Arkansas!  ;D

I think that even the most ardent Kansas City fan would have to admit that the Chiefs, at least lately, barely qualify as an NFL team........

Smithian

I'm thinking a particular Springdale parent has to be the #1 choice for the job.

Quite Frankly

June 13, 2009, 09:27:02 am #60 Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 10:06:32 am by QF©
A few 'no's' have slowed down the process.  Big surprise.  ;)

My guess is they begin to look at top assistants to see if they can find a fit.  But the process has got to accelerate.  I'll venture to say they announce something end of the week. 

The longer this goes without a hire, the more likely it becomes Passmore.  For now.

Billyo62

Quote from: QF© on June 13, 2009, 09:27:02 am
A few 'no's' have slowed down the process.  Big surprise.  ;)

My guess is they begin to look at top assistants to see if they can find a fit.  But the process has got to accelerate.  I'll venture to say the announce something end of the week. 

The longer this goes without a hire, the more likely it becomes Passmore.  For now.

QF, I have tried to explain to you, Passmore  no, no ,  LW wants "SCOREMORE" and it will be in the contract!

Quite Frankly

http://nwaonline.net/articles/2009/06/13/prep_sports/061309bhscoach.txt

That's an article from Saturday's Monning News.  Note the comments about 'no applicants' and other comments from West about misconceptions about the program.

Billyo62

Quote from: QF© on June 13, 2009, 11:15:06 am
http://nwaonline.net/articles/2009/06/13/prep_sports/061309bhscoach.txt

That's an article from Saturday's Monning News.  Note the comments about 'no applicants' and other comments from West about misconceptions about the program.

She is a misconception!  GO AWAY!  this is turning into a joke! 

Who in their right mind would take this job, maybe a young guy to move up and then move on in 2-3 years!

Smithian

I want the BHS job and I am going to run the Springdale offense... "Pass to the good kid. Good kid, SHOOT!"

hoops22

Kyle Adams(Fayetteville Assistant) will have this job if he wants it.

Quite Frankly

June 14, 2009, 09:12:26 am #66 Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:15:18 am by QF©
Quote from: hoops22 on June 13, 2009, 10:29:28 pm
Kyle Adams(Fayetteville Assistant) will have this job if he wants it.
Wouldn't doubt that at all.  She's knocking on plenty of doors soliciting.  Must be humbling to have to go find someone for a basketball job at a 7A school.

hoopsin53

i was hoping the ms. west could break down the nba finals for me and let me know what was wrong with the magic's offense, defense, rebounding.  maybe she could work with dwight howard on his footwork.  after reading her critique of her head coach, i figured i could get some insight...unbelievable.

Ty

Billyo62

Quote from: Ty on June 15, 2009, 11:04:57 am
Great article from Mike Jones of the Benton County Daily Record.

http://www.nwanews.com/bcdr/Sports/74458/

Started reading that thinking it was serious... lol...   ;D

Ty

Quote from: Billyo62 on June 15, 2009, 11:07:50 am
Quote from: Ty on June 15, 2009, 11:04:57 am
Great article from Mike Jones of the Benton County Daily Record.

http://www.nwanews.com/bcdr/Sports/74458/

Started reading that thinking it was serious... lol...   ;D
It's one of the best articles I've read in awhile from an Arkansas sportswriter.

Baitshop

Lauren West is the best thing to ever happen to the rest of the 7A West......if the BISD can hang on to her for a few more years, she may, singlehandedly, be able to return Bentonville's athletics to official doormat status that they held for years.....

I can tell you this though.....if she remotely starts, with Barry Lunney, any of the crap that she has started with the softball and  boys basketball teams, she will find herself coaching a football team by herself!!.....

As a matter of fact, here is Barry's response to ANY input that Lauren West may have to his football program......

Billyo62

Quote from: baitshop on June 15, 2009, 01:33:45 pm
Lauren West is the best thing to ever happen to the rest of the 7A West......if the BISD can hang on to her for a few more years, she may, singlehandedly, be able to return Bentonville's athletics to official doormat status that they held for years.....

I can tell you this though.....if she remotely starts, with Barry Lunney, any of the crap that she has started with the softball and  boys basketball teams, she will find herself coaching a football team by herself!!.....

As a matter of fact, here is Barry's response to ANY input that Lauren West may have to his football program......

lol   +1

Ty

A couple of quotes from the article that are absolutely hilarious and an indication of the situation that Nelson was in.

http://nwanews.com/bcdr/Editorial/74474/

"No block out - too many second chance shots for Rogers," she wrote about a Jan. 9 game against Rogers. Nelson responded: "We did outrebound Rogers both on the offensive and defensive ends according to our stats. Uncertain as to where the 'no' blocking out was observed."

"Did not play to our strength - size," West wrote about games against Har-Ber and Springdale. Nelson shot back, "Our strength is not our size. We usually only have one player as tall or taller than our opponent's inside players."

Most peculiar is the fact that Springdale was larger at every position than Bentonville. All 3 of the guards for Springdale this past season were over 6' while the Bentonville guards topped out at around 5'10''. The two other starters for Springdale were both over 6'5''.

Smithian

BHS simply didn't have the players for him to win with. Both times they played Southside we pounded them with size.

Their basketball program's only reason for existance is so students can show up and cuss at both boys and girls on the other team. If Bentonville was in any inner city conference or even the 6A or 7A Central, their student body and parents more than a few times would have had some severe arse whippings.

Maybe that job will become more attractive when the people around it don't act like trash human beings, including that boot wearing woman Mrs. West and its student body. After they made multiple Southside sophomore girls cry when Southside BBall visited their crappy gymnasium, I realized how horrible that school is and the people that make it up. For a school that bangs its chest right and left about being awesome, I find it hilarious their one successful sport is coached by someone from Southside... Amazing what a blue collar attitude can do. Bentonville needs to look at itself in the mirror and ask what they expect of themselves and people's willingness to be there when the whole school and everything related to it has the smell of pure smug. The fact Barry Lunney can succeed in that environment that gives many of those teenagers a false sense of superiority is a true win on his part in my view especially knowing how he built his program here.

Baitshop

June 16, 2009, 02:20:21 am #76 Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:17:33 am by baitshop
"About West: According to a 2007 story in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, she graduated from the University of South Carolina as a retail major with an intention to enter the fashion industry. But then she landed an internship with the South Atlantic Conference, made up of Division II schools in the Southeast. She did so well in that position that it led to a job as assistant to the conference commissioner. She left for a job with the Orange Bowl Committee, but left after 10 months for a job in a Gap store. After meeting her husband, Jim - now head athletic trainer at Bentonville High - she moved to northwest Arkansas, where she eventually landed the athletic director's job at BHS... "

Two thoughts.....

Retail major going into the Fashion Industry to working for the Orange Bowl Commitee and then to the GAP.......who does Lauren West have butt naked pictures of that would cause them to hire her as an AD in the 7A West..??..??

I have known Barry Lunney for almost 35 years and I am more than shocked that he could go from working with a consumate professional AD like Jim Rowland to working for someone that is probably more qualified to be working in the panty and bra section at Kmart than being an AD.....??..??

Smithian

Quote from: baitshop on June 16, 2009, 02:20:21 am
I have known Barry Lunney for almost 35 years and I am more than shocked that he could go from working with a consumate professional AD like Jim Rowland to working for someone that is probably more qualified to be working in the panty and bra section at Kmart than being an AD.....??..??

Baitshop

Quote from: Smithian on June 16, 2009, 10:20:42 am
Quote from: Ty on June 16, 2009, 10:00:42 amWhat hasn't been impressive is the way the district and especially the students have handled the situation. Much could be said of the same of Har-Ber High School.
I think every single Southside fan will defend the Har-Ber football program and athletics overall after the 8-7 semifinal game. Regardless who won that game, Har-Ber football grew up that night.

HarBer is in the same boat that Bentonville is......they paid a bunch of money to get one of our coaches.......and when Johnny Mason retires after next year......he will be coming home too.....

Smithian

Quote from: baitshop on June 16, 2009, 10:28:51 am
Quote from: Ty on June 16, 2009, 10:00:42 amWhat hasn't been impressive is the way the district and especially the students have handled the situation. Much could be said of the same of Har-Ber High School.
I think every single Southside fan will defend the Har-Ber football program and athletics overall after the 8-7 semifinal game. Regardless who won that game, Har-Ber football grew up that night.

HarBer is in the same boat that Bentonville is......they paid a bunch of money to get one of our coaches.......and when Johnny Mason retires after next year......he will be coming home too.....
I won't completely disagree with that point.

Baitshop

Ty

Quote from: baitshop on June 16, 2009, 10:28:51 am

Southside Basketball to Har-Ber Basketball was a step up in Burnett's career path, initially. Different situation than Lunney, who was already established at one of the best football schools in the state.

RGP

Quote from: Ty on June 16, 2009, 11:14:07 am
Southside Basketball to Har-Ber Basketball was a step up in Burnett's career path, initially.
Har-Ber Basketball to Northside basketball will be a major leap up in Burnett's career path.

Ty

Quote from: RGP on June 17, 2009, 12:38:52 am
Quote from: Ty on June 16, 2009, 11:14:07 am
Southside Basketball to Har-Ber Basketball was a step up in Burnett's career path, initially.
Har-Ber Basketball to Northside basketball will be a major leap up in Burnett's career path.
No one's denying that.

Quite Frankly

http://nwanews.com/bcdr/Sports/74609/

Both are very solid choices.  Better than BHS deserves.  A caution that right now these choices are only in preliminary talks.

Ty

Wow, completely right QF. If Bentonville gets either of these men, they'll come out of the situation a lot better than they deserve to.

Baitshop

Quote from: QF© on June 19, 2009, 07:18:51 am
http://nwanews.com/bcdr/Sports/74609/

Both are very solid choices.  Better than BHS deserves.  A caution that right now these choices are only in preliminary talks.

With this statement leading off the article: 

"BENTONVILLE - The Bentonville School District has not received any applications for its open boys' basketball coaching position but two area coaches were seen on campus this week visiting with athletics director Lauren West."

.....I would be interested in who contacted whom to get these two guys on campus??..??

Quite Frankly

June 19, 2009, 10:30:27 am #87 Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 11:13:04 am by QF©
As I previously stated, it's obvious.

Steve Potts, executive director of human resources, said Thursday no applications had been received yet.

He said there was no set deadline for getting a coach hired.

"We're not going to move forward too quickly," Potts said. "It's going to be a decision that's based on the person. If we don't find that person, then it might be an interim coach for a year."

Baitshop

I will say again......Lauren West is the best thing to happen to the rest of the 7A West in the last 3 years......she may be better than a RB move in from Warren...... :o

Billyo62

Quote from: baitshop on June 19, 2009, 11:33:24 am
I will say again......Lauren West is the best thing to happen to the rest of the 7A West in the last 3 years......she may be better than a RB move in from Warren...... :o

Our only player on Rivals top 40 in the last few years and he hasn't played a single game at Bentonville yet!

Quite Frankly

Back to basketball.

You can scratch Adams from the list of potential hires.

Yee-Haw

No kidding.

That had to be just a courtesy visit. I can understand BHS reaching out to him with the invitation, but no way is he going to leave his situation (basketball/golf) for that one.

Billyo62

Quote from: QF© on June 19, 2009, 02:00:21 pm
Back to basketball.

You can scratch Adams from the list of potential hires.

It will be a young coach-  To put the job at a big school on his resume

or

An Older hard nosed, it's my way only type of coach, no LW crap!

BHS has not been good and won't be in the near future, sorry to say!

Baitshop

It's a shame Bill Taylor left NWA........he and Lauren West would be fun to watch!! ;) ;)

I would love to read the email that he would send back to her after she critiqued his in-game coaching......

Quite Frankly

Billyo62

Quote from: QF© on June 22, 2009, 03:06:55 pm
I think we're close to an internal hiring.

Great , another coach that LW can teach the game, with her vast experience and knowledge of FASHION Basketball!

Smithian

I think this is another message that BHS needs to stop banging its chest as the elite HS of the state when quite frankley(pun intended)noone cares about their sporting program aside from football.

Absolutely. No One. Southside basketball might even be a better job than BHS basketball.

Billyo62

Quote from: Smithian on June 22, 2009, 10:36:28 pm
I think this is another message that BHS needs to stop banging its chest as the elite HS of the state when quite frankley(pun intended)noone cares about their sporting program aside from football.

Absolutely. No One. Southside basketball might even be a better job than BHS basketball.

There has been no such thing as BHS basketball since I've lived in Bentonville ;)

Quite Frankly

http://nwanews.com/bcdr/Sports/74729/
More news which is essentially no news and contains this opening gem

"The Bentonville School District has not officially received any applications for its vacant boys' basketball head coaching position at Bentonville High School, but district officials said Monday they are confident interest level is high for the job."

Billyo62

Quote from: QF© on June 23, 2009, 07:25:02 am
http://nwanews.com/bcdr/Sports/74729/
More news which is essentially no news and contains this opening gem

"The Bentonville School District has not officially received any applications for its vacant boys' basketball head coaching position at Bentonville High School, but district officials said Monday they are confident interest level is high for the job."

Is that embarrassing or what, why are they confident? they even say there has been no official application received...   this is getting old.

you would think ( Normally ) Bentonville would have several coaches knocking on the door, but we all know why that is not happening!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas