• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone hearing II? (Bentonville Has Hired)

Started by Quite Frankly, April 14, 2009, 04:18:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Quite Frankly

April 14, 2009, 04:18:07 pm Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:15:26 pm by QF©
I think Bentonville might have an opening after all.

hoops22

Quote from: QF© on April 14, 2009, 04:18:07 pm
I think Bentonville might have an opening after all.

Why do you say that? Is Nelson leaving?

Quite Frankly

http://www.nwanews.com/bcdr/Sports/72540/

Here's a little longer version.   You heard it here first!

Billyo62

Does anyone remember the last year and "ALL"-the problems...  Did you think he would be around for next year... Please ... at least it's official now...  what a mess.

Quite Frankly

This mess is well documented.   Right down to Mrs. West critiquing some games as if she knows a thing about basketball strategy despite a background void of any such knowledge.

Billyo62

Quote from: QF© on April 15, 2009, 01:13:34 pm
This mess is well documented.   Right down to Mrs. West critiquing some games as if she knows a thing about basketball strategy despite a background void of any such knowledge.

We all love LW don't we!  Nice job!

Quite Frankly

April 15, 2009, 04:09:04 pm #10 Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:35:00 pm by QF©
Potentially(obviously overused) this is a great job.  It's by far one of the largest unsplit districts in the state and has a huge booster club support system.

Plus, the added benefit of the 9th grade right in the high school to aid in the earlier development and continuity of potential varsity players.  That's unique in the 7A West.  It's ripe for success.

But several things hold it back.  The obvious one is the presence of one Barry Lunney and the investment that has been put for football.  This year it paid off in a 7A state championship in football.  Another is the unique situation of having a clothing fashion expert as an AD and that has very little knowledge of sports in general .   Not to mention has botched several things within the district like this situation.

Many very quality coaches will be tempted to look into this job.  It should be at the top of the pay scale and boasts of failry new facilities.  But when they paw at the reasons behind this probable opening they will suddenly open their eyes and become somewhat skeptical.

I see this going either of the following two ways.  One, a very proven winner from in-state that comes from a larger district.  Or two, someone from outside of the state that also has a history if winning.  No one inside the district has a chance for it.  My money is on someone out-of-state like Nelson was when he arrived from Kansas. 

This will be an interesting search unless Nelson manages to hold it up forever in court.  My guess, is some kind of settlement will be reached to allow them to begin a search without a cloud.

Two straight ugly dismissals for this same job will scare most quality coaches from looking at it very seriously.

Baitshop

Dang.....Bill Taylor left for Manilla too early!!..!!... :P :P

hoops22

Any names being tossed around yet?

ArkansasKingpin

April 19, 2009, 12:09:14 pm #13 Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:11:08 pm by ArkansasKingpin
Bet Bowling would throw his name in there... Would get to watch Skyler play his last two years at Missiouri Southern...

I just dont know if he has what it takes... Lets see...

133-42 the last 6yrs
79-16 the last 3yrs
31-1 @ home the last 3yrs
State playoffs the past 5yrs
3 State Finals in a row
1 State Runner-up
2 State Championships

ALL WHILE PLAYING IN ONE OF "IF NOT THE TOUGHEST" CONFERENCE IN THE STATE...

Oh, And don't forget his non-conference schedule...

Yee-Haw

Yes. I'm sure that success would have translated well to Rogers Heritage, another job he tried to get two years ago just to be closer to Joplin.

Gotta have players.

Quite Frankly

hoops22

Quote from: QF© on April 19, 2009, 06:18:04 pm
Quote from: Yee-Haw on April 19, 2009, 06:09:04 pm
Gotta have players.
And hope others don't.
QF, is Bentonville going after McMahan at Siloam Springs? I heard that was who they were targeting? Great coach, but I doubt he would leave his situation.

Quite Frankly

They might be.  Locally, he's definitely among the best and it would take some kind of work ethic and thick skin to deal with all that goes with the Tiger job.

I think he's destined to move up the ladder quickly and would not be surprised to see him in the 7A soon.  He's solid.

Add to that Siloam doesn't appear to have a good next couple of years in their future.  Rising 9th grade not that great and they seem likely to move up in classification at the same time.

Jason is smart.  He'll investigate the heck out of the BHS job beforehand.  But the last 2 coaches in B-ville have been treated pretty rough and that has to spook anyone.  Especially those that are solid in their own right.  Really good coaches shouldn't want the job.

Forrest City H

Siloam might be moving to 6A?  Does the next rotation start after the 2009-10 season? 

hoops22

Quote from: Forrest City H on April 20, 2009, 04:57:12 pm
Siloam might be moving to 6A?  Does the next rotation start after the 2009-10 season? 
THey are moving in to the 7A west in 2010.

hoops22

Quote from: QF© on April 20, 2009, 01:54:20 pm
They might be.  Locally, he's definitely among the best and it would take some kind of work ethic and thick skin to deal with all that goes with the Tiger job.

I think he's destined to move up the ladder quickly and would not be surprised to see him in the 7A soon.  He's solid.

Add to that Siloam doesn't appear to have a good next couple of years in their future.  Rising 9th grade not that great and they seem likely to move up in classification at the same time.

Jason is smart.  He'll investigate the heck out of the BHS job beforehand.  But the last 2 coaches in B-ville have been treated pretty rough and that has to spook anyone.  Especially those that are solid in their own right.  Really good coaches shouldn't want the job.

I heard that L.W. is going down this week also. Is this true?

Billyo62

Quote from: hoops22 on April 21, 2009, 11:35:30 am

I was going to make a joke but I won't, LW is the problem and she looking for a solution...Great!

Baitshop

If she leaves.......will Barry get the job?......or is the school district commited to someone independent of any one program??

Billyo62

Quote from: baitshop on April 21, 2009, 12:59:39 pm

If she leaves.......will Barry get the job?......or is the school district commited to someone independent of any one program??

Why would Barry want the job of AD , he doesn't answer to LW now, He answers to Dr. Compton, why would he take on the extra workoad of AD?  Money maybe... I doubt it!

Quite Frankly

(runs to the want ads)

In Bentonville, it'd be a shocker for any standing coach to get the job.  Just isn't the way it's done any more.

Billyo62

Quote from: QF© on April 21, 2009, 01:33:31 pm
(runs to the want ads)

In Bentonville, it'd be a shocker for any standing coach to get the job.  Just isn't the way it's done any more.

In small school districts it's still done all the time,  Not in a district of any size... I agree.

shaniqua

April 21, 2009, 05:26:48 pm #26 Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 05:30:06 pm by shaniqua

Baitshop

Quote from: Billyo62 on April 21, 2009, 02:18:09 pm
(runs to the want ads)

In small school districts it's still done all the time,  Not in a district of any size... I agree.

Two words........Ronnie Peacock.......

MV

Quote from: baitshop on April 22, 2009, 10:21:12 pm
(runs to the want ads)

Peacock hasn't been the AD for two years now

Baitshop

Quote from: MV on April 22, 2009, 11:04:03 pm
Quote from: baitshop on April 22, 2009, 10:21:12 pm
(runs to the want ads)

Peacock hasn't been the AD for two years now

Well then,.........I've got two more words............"my bad"!! :P :P

Quite Frankly

June 04, 2009, 06:58:48 am #32 Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:02:51 am by QF©
http://nwanews.com/bcdr/Sports/74022/

Incredible.  Lauren West needs a corrective action plan herself.  She can't meet her own standards.

http://nwaonline.net/articles/2009/06/04/news/060409bznelson.txt

Baitshop

It sounds to me like Lauren West might need to follow Bill Taylor to Manila.......they both are a train wreck waiting to happen........she is going to, eventually, cost the Bentonville ISD a ton of money in a law suit......plus it sounds as if she is more of an issue with parent concerns than any of her coaches.....

Billyo62

Quote from: baitshop on June 04, 2009, 11:57:32 am
It sounds to me like Lauren West might need to follow Bill Taylor to Manila.......they both are a train wreck waiting to happen........she is going to, eventually, cost the Bentonville ISD a ton of money in a law suit......plus it sounds as if she is more of an issue with parent concerns than any of her coaches.....

What kind of Brainless twit tells the coach how many points a game his team has to score and how many rebounds a game they have to get in order to keep his job at the high school level!

and that's just part of the stupidity!

LW needs to go away!

Quite Frankly

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2009/06/05/news/060509bznelsonfolo.txt

This article contains a click on link were you can see internal documents that are interesting.

Quite Frankly

Among the things I have funny(besides the stats) is this requirement to beat Rogers, Van Buren and Springdale every time.  Rogers has arguable one of the states very best coaches and made it to the state finals.  VB was not even in the conference last year and they also have a very solid coach in Randy Lloyd.  VB has defeated Fayetteville several times in the past few years prior to the realignment.

West is whacko.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: Illneverpost on June 05, 2009, 12:12:34 pm
West does nothing without being told what to do first.

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2009/06/04/columns/kurt_voigt/060509voigt.txt
First post huh?

No doubt Compton has culpability with this as well.  I was saving that for another time.  ;)

But you're correct in bringing that up too.  In fact, I had just read KV's column within the past hour.  If you happen to be KV, +1 to your viewpoint.

Of all the places to deal with parents in Arkansas, the melting pot that is the Bentonville Public Schools has to rank near or at the top.  The sheer number of transient parents due to the vendor world and the amount of money they bring to athletics is a recipe for disasters.

Plenty of underlining issues all over this district no matter how many championships or games they win of don't win.

West/Compton has turned Nelson into a semi-sympathetic figure and that's hard to do. 

Quite Frankly

Yet another article with more details from the long hearing:

http://nwanews.com/bcdr/Sports/74055/

I simply can't get over her trying to coach the coach on things she truly knows nothing about whatsoever.  She has botched this from Day 1 and I think you can blame this insistent micromanagement on part of the failure.  This stuff has been whispered about for over a year and as such the AD certainly wasn't putting the BHS staff in a positive position to win.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: Yee-Haw on June 05, 2009, 03:00:13 pm
http://www.nwanews.com/story_breakingnews.php?id=397
Good get.  They certainly moved swiftly as I figured it be a few days.  I bet his salary is pretty much intact.

At the minimum, they can now post the job.  We'll say how far along they were in the planning stages for a new hire.  Plenty of questions about staffing, schedule and summer workouts.  I'm sure the current assistants will hold down the fort.

Quite Frankly

The job has now been posted and the B district is officially looking.  At this point the job is tougher to fill as it would require someone to leave were they are at a late stage in the off-season. 

Among my observations:

1)  They go after another head coach in the 7A West under the impression someone will want it. However, they are handicapped to some degree on the $$$ part like they are bound to throw at it like they did for Lunney.
2)  Given the 'lofty expectations' they have for the program they are not going to just hire anyone.  That being the case it's possible they temporarily fill the job from within the system for one year.
3)  They'll foolishly be surprised to discover the job is not as lucrative as they think and thus finding someone right now of quality will be difficult.
4)  For the sake of saving face, expect some major names to be rumored.

Ty

Quote from: QF© on June 07, 2009, 07:29:59 pm
The job has now been posted and the B district is officially looking.  At this point the job is tougher to fill as it would require someone to leave were they are at a late stage in the off-season. 

Among my observations:

1)  They go after another head coach in the 7A West under the impression someone will want it. However, they are handicapped to some degree on the $$$ part like they are bound to throw at it like they did for Lunney.
2)  Given the 'lofty expectations' they have for the program they are not going to just hire anyone.  That being the case it's possible they temporarily fill the job from within the system for one year.
3)  They'll foolishly be surprised to discover the job is not as lucrative as they think and thus finding someone right now of quality will be difficult.
4)  For the sake of saving face, expect some major names to be rumored.
Spot on, IMO.

Add in the fact that West and the Super have made themselves look absolutely horrible with this whole ordeal, potential job applicants may think second before they put their name in.

AAAspectator

Rumor swirling about:

J. McMahan- very talented and close
J. Taylor- interviewed well at Sdale
S. Bolin- just because his name comes up at every job in NWA
G. White- who else works in a messed up school/football factory in NWA with no support for basketball
The Field- Out of state, outside NWA, or promote asst on interim basis.

Ty

Quote from: AAAspectator on June 07, 2009, 09:10:24 pm
Rumor swirling about:

J. McMahan- very talented and close
J. Taylor- interviewed well at Sdale
S. Bolin- just because his name comes up at every job in NWA
G. White- who else works in a messed up school/football factory in NWA with no support for basketball
The Field- Out of state, outside NWA, or promote asst on interim basis.
Like mentioned, the rumors are all about big names, in order to save face.

Quite Frankly

Those are the same names as we've heard before.  McMahan is the only one I give that has a spidgeon of a possibility and that's only because it is a step-up and his star is bright.

But long term, it wouldn't be good for him.

Baitshop

"spidgeon"??......even for us rednecks down here in the river valley, that's a new one.....

Sounds like one of that Kansas City carpetbagger, Billyo's, "I lived in a big city and have a Jesuit school education" words...

Would that be akin to "smidgeon" or "smidgen" or perhaps "smidgin'"??....

OR.....is it a cross between "spigots" and "smidgens"..??..??...which would be something like a "little faucet"........

Sorry, QF, I'm just tuggin' your chain...... ;D ;D ;D

Billyo62

Quote from: baitshop on June 09, 2009, 12:41:27 am
"spidgeon"??......even for us rednecks down here in the river valley, that's a new one.....

Sounds like one of that Kansas City carpetbagger, Billyo's, "I lived in a big city and have a Jesuit school education" words...
Would that be akin to "smidgeon" or "smidgen" or perhaps "smidgin'"??....

OR.....is it a cross between "spigots" and "smidgens"..??..??...which would be something like a "little faucet"........

Sorry, QF, I'm just tuggin' your chain...... ;D ;D ;D

Everytime you mention me , I get a warm fuzzy...Thanks Bait!   ;D

GLion Alum

The Benton County Daily Record sports editor in his column today (www.nwanews.com--click on the Daily Record button) lists the following names being rumored for the Bentonville basketball job:

1.  Marty Barnes, Rogers head coach
2.  Jason McMahan, Siloam Springs head coach
3.  Scott Passmore, still employed by the Bentonville system after resigning as Bentonville's Washington Junior High coach in 2005.  Was an assistant at BHS at one time.
4.  Conley Clarke, Rodnei's dad, who was director of basketball operations at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa before resigning to move to NWA when Rodnei signed with the Hogs.  The elder Clarke
has since been serving as director of basketball operations at the All-Star Sports Arena in Springdale.
5.  Eric Burnett, Springdale Har-Ber head coach.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas