• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Northside Standout Transferring

Started by T-Wacker, April 11, 2009, 09:33:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Wacker

Shinita Arnold transferring from Arkansas. Collen's total inability to recruit his home state is worse than the Dork! What few he has signed, he has ran the others off for players passed over from other states by weaker programs. He signs weak players from Michigan and California that no one else wants and wonders why they can't play in the SEC. Word is Brittany Richardson will be transferring as well.

Story in today's Times Record and on the Arkansas Razorback website.

Quite Frankly

I really wonder about this though.  She started all year.  There's more to this.

purpledog

April 11, 2009, 09:19:35 pm #2 Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:23:46 pm by purpledog
Let's see he recruited Ricketts who was AP SEC Freshman of the Year, Harris (Freshman) was a big contributor. I don't see what you saying that he is recruiting out of state players that are not any good.

Not sure what the story is with Arnold but I have total confidence in the fact that he will get the program back to where we belong after Gardner nearly killed it.

BTW the Louisville team that just played in the finals was a team that Collen recruited to Louisville except for the freshman shooter. So I think, he can recruit

T-Wacker

Quote from: purpledog on April 11, 2009, 09:19:35 pm
Let's see he recruited Ricketts who was AP SEC Freshman of the Year, Harris (Freshman) was a big contributor. I don't see what you saying that he is recruiting out of state players that are not any good.

Not sure what the story is with Arnold but I have total confidence in the fact that he will get the program back to where we belong after Gardner nearly killed it.

BTW the Louisville team that just played in the finals was a team that Collen recruited to Louisville except for the freshman shooter. So I think, he can recruit

That same Louisville team that only got BETTER after Collen left? All I am saying is, if you can't recruit your home state, you will never build a program. That was Nutt's downfall and will also be Collens. By the way, how about the OTHER recruits? The ones that didn't pan out, like the player from Michigan and California. So I guess if 25% of your recruits pan out, you are successful? The foreign player that didn't qualify? The transfers? The same record as Gardner? The low attendance? The instate players signing with Tennessee, Baylor, Okie State, Purdue? Only offerring the instate players that Gardner offered. What about those failures?

Quite Frankly

T-W, I'm going to disagree with you somewhat.  Gardner left the program in such shambles, it took a different approach to restore it.

That approach had to be 'win first'.  And at a much better rate than the prior years.  Collen has done that.  Some excitement is back.  He will focus more on in-state kids as they present themselves naturally.  He's already on several now in the 2010 and 2011 classes.

Mistakes like Heath made with Sanchez and Rakestraw were designed to appease people.  People want to win and win fast.  If a coach takes a player because they are local he's compromising himself.  If he has two players in his mind that are equal, I'd like to see him the Ark girl as the tie-breaker.

But otherwise, he needs to focus on his choices in his way then go out and win games.  That ultimately is his judgement day.

I think he's doing that.  God knows I care more than I did one iota when Sue was here.  That feeling is returning to others as well.

OlGuyWicker

Ever coach seems to have to have a detractor.  But why did the Northside girl leave?  What about the tall girl from CAC?  Was it the same reasons?

gatecrasher

It's just like the men. When Nolan left it set the program back. This goes back to letting Gary Blair get away. They haven't been the same since.

Baitshop

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on April 12, 2009, 01:00:18 am
It's just like the men. When Nolan left it set the program back. This goes back to letting Gary Blair get away. They haven't been the same since.

I could not agree with this statement more........

I never really understood why he left anyway......was it a personality issue with Lewis??......

Quite Frankly

It was 100% on Lewis that Blair left.  No telling were we'd be if it was her that left.  But to compound Blair's leaving with that shrew Gardner was regretful at the minimum.

Give Collen the room he needs.

shaniqua

Quote from: OlGuyWicker on April 12, 2009, 12:01:21 am
Ever coach seems to have to have a detractor.  But why did the Northside girl leave?  What about the tall girl from CAC?  Was it the same reasons?

I doubt the same reasons were involved in the departure of these two players; we've all heard the rumors why CAC's Zachariason left, but I'm not sure they can be repeated on Fearless.   :-X

urban legend

Starting to hear a few ramblings and rumors now as to why Arnold left the program, but I never actually heard as to why Zachariason left.

AAAspectator

Quote from: T-Wacker on April 11, 2009, 10:09:21 pm
That was Nutt's downfall
That's about the only place Nutt could get players from

T-Wacker

April 24, 2009, 07:59:12 am #13 Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:58:40 pm by T-Wacker
IMO, look for more transfers happening the next few weeks:

Already transferred:
Arnold - Arkansas (Arizona)
Vining - OU (Arkansas Tech)
Kelsey Hatcher - Okie State (SMU)
Horsman - Western Illinois (Arkansas Tech)
Laura Beth Anderson - UCA (Arkansas Tech)

Likely to transfer:
Brittany Richardson - Arkansas

Probably not happy but may stick it out another year:
Inman - Arkansas

Should transfer if they want playing time:
Whitney Z - Baylor

heavy duty

Gardner killed the program - dead, absolutely no pulse. Collen is a good coach but it will take years to revive this corpse. To make matters worse, girls talent in the state has dropped a bit. There aren't many SEC caliber girls playing in Arkansas, right now. Not like the ones Gardner let get away. Give Collen time. He's gonna need it.

T-Wacker

Quote from: heavy duty on April 24, 2009, 01:01:13 pm
Gardner killed the program - dead, absolutely no pulse. Collen is a good coach but it will take years to revive this corpse. To make matters worse, girls talent in the state has dropped a bit. There aren't many SEC caliber girls playing in Arkansas, right now. Not like the ones Gardner let get away. Give Collen time. He's gonna need it.

The '08 class was probably the best ever in the state and Collen had plenty of time to recruit those players, but failed. The top '09 player is gone to Baylor and the top '10 player is going to OU. So when is he going to start turning it around? Can't start until you get the top recruit in your home state. Recruiting players passed over by other (and weaker before this year) conferences isn't the place to start, i.e. Michigan and California players. Glad he doesn't run the company I work for, the doors would already be closed waitng for it to be "turned around". Gardner was bad, but if you compare, Collen hasn't faired much better in the conference. Had the conference not been WAY down this year, his record would not have been as good as Gardner's. Everyone wants to say he has made improvement, but is it that or due to the SEC being down? Tennessee was not near the team from the last 25 years, Georgia was pathetic, LSU was non existent in the national polls for the first time in 20 years, Vanderbilt was the premier team and still are not where they were 5 years ago, Florida looked good in the conference until they hit post season. All that made Auburn look unbelievable, until they hit post season. Face it, 6  conference wins this year translates into 1 or 2 in past years,i.e. Susie Gardner!

urban legend

heavy duty

The SEC was definitely down this season so it's probably not fair to compare records, but Gardner might've been the worst hire ever at a Division I school. Collen has won at other programs, though not at the SEC level. I just think he needs more time. I don't think this year's senior class was very good. I also don't think he had enough time for the 2008 class. When Tennessee already has its foot in the door, Arkansas isn't likely to push Pat Summitt out. I've talked to several high school coaches in the state and, believe me, he's making much more of an effort than Gardner did. I know he's onto some of this year's sophomores. That may be too little too late but I think he was THAT far behind when he got here.

shaniqua

April 26, 2009, 09:28:22 pm #18 Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:33:36 pm by shaniqua
I knew this years graduating Senior class was in trouble 4 years ago when Razorback signee Whitney Jones from Blytheville had zero points in a state basketball tournament game.  I'm sorry, but if you have signed with an SEC school to play college basketball, you should not be held to zero points, even in a state tournament game.   As for this years high school seniors, even if they had D-1 talent, they would no doubt all be going to the likes of Baylor, OU, Okie State, blah, blah, blah.  ::) 

T-Wacker

Quote from: heavy duty on April 25, 2009, 11:48:43 pm
The SEC was definitely down this season so it's probably not fair to compare records, but Gardner might've been the worst hire ever at a Division I school. Collen has won at other programs, though not at the SEC level. I just think he needs more time. I don't think this year's senior class was very good. I also don't think he had enough time for the 2008 class. When Tennessee already has its foot in the door, Arkansas isn't likely to push Pat Summitt out. I've talked to several high school coaches in the state and, believe me, he's making much more of an effort than Gardner did. I know he's onto some of this year's sophomores. That may be too little too late but I think he was THAT far behind when he got here.

What about the '09 class? He missed that as well. By the way, he missed the '10 class (Hook to OU). 5 years before he starts hitting the instate recruits? Thats pathetic.

You also have to admit, the players he recruited for Louisville were not highly regarded, by their own admission. They also improved immensly AFTER he left. The new coach there elevated their game beyond Collen.

shaniqua

Letting a player like Hook escape from your own back yard is not a very good sign. . .

teo

Hook committed to OU before Collen started coaching at UA.  She orally committed before she started her sophomore year, which was late summer of '07.  But he is still actively recruiting her.

Quite Frankly

That's correct.  Hook was already lost.  Blame Gardner.

purpledog

T-W, it's clear you don't like Collen. I think it is clear he has the program headed in the right direction. I make that statement after speaking with several high school coaches across the state that really like him and think he will be good for the program. Give him time, you can't bring a program back from the grave overnight.

AAAspectator

Shekinna Strickland & Jordan Madden are the only two SEC caliber athletes. Vining, Hatcher, Herbert, & Hook are all D1, but not SEC. big difference.

T-Wacker

Quote from: purpledog on April 27, 2009, 11:24:22 am
T-W, it's clear you don't like Collen. I think it is clear he has the program headed in the right direction. I make that statement after speaking with several high school coaches across the state that really like him and think he will be good for the program. Give him time, you can't bring a program back from the grave overnight.

Don't know him, so I cannot like/hate. But he has shown no improvement. How can you say he has? His recruits have been rated lower than Gardners, his replacement at Louisville has completely out coached him with his own players, he continues to recruit players form out of state rated lower than the before mentioned "not SEC caliber players". The one MIchigan player and California player are not even D1 talent period. By the way, Hook is far better than Madden. Madden has to work on attitude and effort. Hook has both, better ball handler, and team player. She will be considerably more successful in college than Madden.

One last reminder, Joe Adams was a verbal to USC before Petrino and he got him to change. Good coaches make IMMEDIATE impacts. I just hold the opinion that two years is enough to show considerable improvement, not a snails pace.

AAAspectator

Quote from: T-Wacker on April 27, 2009, 08:33:18 pm
She will be considerably more successful in college than Madden.
In the right school, Not an SEC school. Talent wise Madden could play in the SEC, Hook would struggle.

Point of Emphasis: the only true SEC caliber player was able to take her team to the state finals multiple times and win one, pretty much by herself.

MrNiceGuy

Quote from: AAAspectator on April 27, 2009, 08:45:37 pm
She will be considerably more successful in college than Madden.
In the right school, Not an SEC school. Talent wise Madden could play in the SEC, Hook would struggle.

Point of Emphasis: the only true SEC caliber player was able to take her team to the state finals multiple times and win one, pretty much by herself.

Pssssst, OU is in the Big12 which has been better than the SEC for at least the last two years. 

purpledog

April 28, 2009, 10:45:16 am #28 Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:52:07 am by purpledog
Quote from: purpledog on April 27, 2009, 11:24:22 am

Don't know him, so I cannot like/hate. But he has shown no improvement. How can you say he has? His recruits have been rated lower than Gardners, his replacement at Louisville has completely out coached him with his own players, he continues to recruit players form out of state rated lower than the before mentioned "not SEC caliber players". The one MIchigan player and California player are not even D1 talent period. By the way, Hook is far better than Madden. Madden has to work on attitude and effort. Hook has both, better ball handler, and team player. She will be considerably more successful in college than Madden.

One last reminder, Joe Adams was a verbal to USC before Petrino and he got him to change. Good coaches make IMMEDIATE impacts. I just hold the opinion that two years is enough to show considerable improvement, not a snails pace.

It is natural as a kid gets older his or her skills and judgement on the court should improve. You have to give him credit that he did recruit the kids that took Louisville to the finals. We can't sit here today and say "if he was still coaching there they would not have played in the finals".

He is a good coach and I think the program is headed in the right direction. Many coaches across the state agree, so we will see.

Hook had her mind made up where she wanted to play long before Collen ever got here. You can lay that one at Gardner's feet (or Bev Lewis and John White's) and no one else. Many kids that enjoyed watching the Ladybacks play during the time kids like India Lewis, Dana Cherry played quite going because of Gardner.

teo

So....has anyone heard what Shanita Arnold's future basketball plans are?

Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly

I won't doubt you.  I'm quoting what she told someone as of last Friday.  :)

AAAspectator

Quote from: MrNiceGuy on April 27, 2009, 11:51:22 pm
Pssssst, OU is in the Big12 which has been better than the SEC for at least the last two years. 

And the ACC is better than the SEC in Men's basketball. The point I was making was that people all over Collen for not getting home grown talent and the fact is we've produced 1 SEC caliber player recently. The only other is Shemeka Christon

MrNiceGuy

Quote from: AAAspectator on April 28, 2009, 08:03:28 pm
Quote from: MrNiceGuy on April 27, 2009, 11:51:22 pm

And the ACC is better than the SEC in Men's basketball. The point I was making was that people all over Collen for not getting home grown talent and the fact is we've produced 1 SEC caliber player recently. The only other is Shemeka Christon

You said that Hook would struggle in the SEC, why not the Big 12?  Why has a perennial top ten women's team given a kid that you say would struggle in the big time conferences an offer that early in her career?

heffy22

It will all work itself out.  Sanchez was supposed to be a big loss for Arkansas, but she didn't pan out either at OU.

reggiebushfan

Sure, it will all work itself out, but the question is will it be positive or negative for Arkansas?

When you are the smallest state in the SEC, you can't lose big time players like Hook and Strickland and expect things will 'work themselves out'.

Same thing with men's bb. You lose James Anderson, and you are going to feel the sting from it.

T-Wacker

Still odd how Petrino was able to secure recruite in his FIRST year at Arkansas, but Collen needs four or five. Joe Adams switched in ONE year, but Collen gets a pass for missing the top recruits for the next THREE years. Like how he is recruiting the kids from Austraila and makes mention on how he wants to keep hitting them hard but completely overlooks his home state.

T-Wacker

the fact is we've produced 1 SEC caliber player recently. The only other is Shemeka Christon

According to who, you? I disagree. You just keep stating that the coaches need time to develop the program and how Gardner ran it into the ground. The coach at Florida turned it around in two years, how about that? Florida is noted for Volleyball and softball, not girls basketball. However, she is getting the top recruits in her home state and turned it around fast. I know the current Arkansas coaches gave the Garrison girl only a token look before she signed with Okie State. Arnold was recruited by schools ranked higher than Arkansas, so was Whitney Z. Could it be that Collen didn't develop those players? He obviously didn't develop the Louisville players to the level that their current coach did. Explain that!

T-Wacker

May 02, 2009, 12:03:31 pm #39 Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:08:51 pm by T-Wacker
the fact is we've produced 1 SEC caliber player recently. The only other is Shemeka Christon

Apparently, the Michigan and California players he is recruiting aren't SEC caliber either! Explain how Jones from SS (Purdue), Kursh fron NS (UALR), Hameth from Dumas (Ole Miss), and Hatcher from CAC (Okie State) were ALL ranked higher than those players. He apparently felt like lower nationally ranked players were god enough to play in the SEC, but not homestate players. Thats idiotic at best.

T-Wacker

Quote from: heffy22 on April 30, 2009, 08:51:15 am
It will all work itself out.  Sanchez was supposed to be a big loss for Arkansas, but she didn't pan out either at OU.

OU upgraded thier program after Sanchez arrived. Better recruits coming in reduced her playing time each year. She actually played quite abit during her first three years. The Paris sisters completely changed their look and their recruiting.

T-Wacker

Quote from: T-Wacker on April 24, 2009, 07:59:12 am
IMO, look for more transfers happening the next few weeks:

Already transferred:
Arnold - Arkansas
Vining - OU

Likely to transfer:
Brittany Richardson - Arkansas
Kelsey Hatcher - Okie State

Probably not happy but may stick it out another year:
Inman - Arkansas

Should transfer if they want playing time:
Whitney Z - Baylor

Its official, Hatcher has transferred to SMU.

Quite Frankly

nwahog

I only follow Lady Razorback moderately, but I think these arguments you make our ridiculous.  Hook and Stricklen had their mind made up since 10th grade.  Why the heck would someone pick Arkansas over Top 10 programs? I don't see how you can disregard the success Louisville had this year.  All those players were recruited by him!  Teams get better with maturity.  Now to the recruiting.  I don't know anything about the Aussies, but Sarah Watkins is is a big time recruit.  Higher rated then Hook or Arnold was.  Darshae Burnside is supposed to be pretty good as well.  Madden could have been a hog, but their are issues with her being Monk's cousin, which will probably play out with Ky as well.  Have I mentioned Cierra Rickets was the SEC freshman of year, while Harris played from the start, and will be very good as well.  Tell me who coached Angel McCoughtry into the Big East player of the year her SO year.

I know I won't change your mind.  You are pretty vocal about that on multiple boards.  Just thought I'd come to you with facts on how a guy that just recruited the SEC FR of year is the worst thing to happen to the program.

T-Wacker

Quote from: nwahog on May 20, 2009, 11:09:37 pm
I only follow Lady Razorback moderately, but I think these arguments you make our ridiculous.  Hook and Stricklen had their mind made up since 10th grade.  Why the heck would someone pick Arkansas over Top 10 programs? I don't see how you can disregard the success Louisville had this year.  All those players were recruited by him!  Teams get better with maturity.  Now to the recruiting.  I don't know anything about the Aussies, but Sarah Watkins is is a big time recruit.  Higher rated then Hook or Arnold was.  Darshae Burnside is supposed to be pretty good as well.  Madden could have been a hog, but their are issues with her being Monk's cousin, which will probably play out with Ky as well.  Have I mentioned Cierra Rickets was the SEC freshman of year, while Harris played from the start, and will be very good as well.  Tell me who coached Angel McCoughtry into the Big East player of the year her SO year.

I know I won't change your mind.  You are pretty vocal about that on multiple boards.  Just thought I'd come to you with facts on how a guy that just recruited the SEC FR of year is the worst thing to happen to the program.

How ridiculous is to to ask why a coach cannot recruit his home state nor even try? How ridiculous is to to ask why you recruit Aussie's heavily when they have never contributed to a championship caliber team? You state the obvious in Ricketts. How about the total BUSTS in the other three recruits from that class? One is ineligible, the other two are clearly not SEC caliber players. Explain to me how you are going to build a top 10 program when you cannot recruit against top 10 programs (like you stated in your post above)? I believe Arkansas football is nowhere near top 10, yet Petrino, in his FIRST year, turned recruiting around, including in state. You want facts, he has shown little improvement over Gardner with a horrible conference record the first year and improvement only in the year the league is considered the worst it has ever been (don't even try to argue that point with Tennessee fielding one of its weakest teams ever, along with LSU). Auburn has been horrible the last several years and all of a sudden rises to the top. Why, because the elite teams are no longer elite. I believe that was proven in the NCAA tournament.

Now, SEC freshman of the year. It is apparent you know little of the game, so here is a lesson. Stricklin was recruited as a 3, yet played the point all year. Play Ricketts out of position and then argue who the top freshman was. Ricketts is a great ball player, but two or three on Tennessee's team were better. Try scoring 20 a game with that much talent around you is like scoring 40 with a team with no talent. I like how everyone is still using Gardner as an excuse as to why the program is still down, but Collen has had two years and it is all on him.

Teams get better with maturity. I agree. But they also get better with coaching. No way you can compare Collen to Louisville's head coach. I am not discounting Louisville success. I am comparing it to when Collen was there. That program has taken off since he left and no one can deny that. Lets just look at the recruiting of Louisville. By their own admission, there were no top 75 recruits on that team. So, that tells me he has a history of not recruiting top 10 players and relying solely on player development. That will not work in major D1 women's basketball to bring home championships, or men's for that matter. "Supposed to be good"? According to whom? What do you think the official line from Arkansas is going to be? We have signed a few average players that may actually be good enough to play? How can Watkins be rated higher than Hook when they are in different classes? Watkins is rated against the '09 class and Hook against the '10 class. If Hook is rated lower, why did she pick OU? You state we can't expect to sign players over top 10 programs, yet Hook is not as highly rated as Watkins. So is Watkins a fool for picking a lower rated program?

As far as Stricklin making up her mind in 10th grade. WRONG! Her parents wore Razorback merchandise until the start of her Sr. year. Her AAU coach even made mention of how she would not like to travel all the way to Knoxville to play and that was between her Jr. and Sr. years. So, when it comes to facts, get them straight before you jump on someone considerably more knowledgeable than you are on the subject.

Bottom line. Quit giving coaches free rides for 4 or 5 years. This is not 1965 where the talent is in certain areas and you may need years to gain recruiting advantages. This day and age, two years will give you an idea if they will succeed or not. Other than that is pure stalling to save your job. Again, we have a coach that can be directly compared to in Petrino. Fewer years, and already turned the corner with recruits.

Door Greeter

Quote from: T-Wacker on May 21, 2009, 01:02:41 pm
Quote from: nwahog on May 20, 2009, 11:09:37 pm

How ridiculous is to to ask why a coach cannot recruit his home state nor even try? How ridiculous is to to ask why you recruit Aussie's heavily when they have never contributed to a championship caliber team? You state the obvious in Ricketts. How about the total BUSTS in the other three recruits from that class? One is ineligible, the other two are clearly not SEC caliber players. Explain to me how you are going to build a top 10 program when you cannot recruit against top 10 programs (like you stated in your post above)? I believe Arkansas football is nowhere near top 10, yet Petrino, in his FIRST year, turned recruiting around, including in state. You want facts, he has shown little improvement over Gardner with a horrible conference record the first year and improvement only in the year the league is considered the worst it has ever been (don't even try to argue that point with Tennessee fielding one of its weakest teams ever, along with LSU). Auburn has been horrible the last several years and all of a sudden rises to the top. Why, because the elite teams are no longer elite. I believe that was proven in the NCAA tournament.

Now, SEC freshman of the year. It is apparent you know little of the game, so here is a lesson. Stricklin was recruited as a 3, yet played the point all year. Play Ricketts out of position and then argue who the top freshman was. Ricketts is a great ball player, but two or three on Tennessee's team were better. Try scoring 20 a game with that much talent around you is like scoring 40 with a team with no talent. I like how everyone is still using Gardner as an excuse as to why the program is still down, but Collen has had two years and it is all on him.

Teams get better with maturity. I agree. But they also get better with coaching. No way you can compare Collen to Louisville's head coach. I am not discounting Louisville success. I am comparing it to when Collen was there. That program has taken off since he left and no one can deny that. Lets just look at the recruiting of Louisville. By their own admission, there were no top 75 recruits on that team. So, that tells me he has a history of not recruiting top 10 players and relying solely on player development. That will not work in major D1 women's basketball to bring home championships, or men's for that matter. "Supposed to be good"? According to whom? What do you think the official line from Arkansas is going to be? We have signed a few average players that may actually be good enough to play? How can Watkins be rated higher than Hook when they are in different classes? Watkins is rated against the '09 class and Hook against the '10 class. If Hook is rated lower, why did she pick OU? You state we can't expect to sign players over top 10 programs, yet Hook is not as highly rated as Watkins. So is Watkins a fool for picking a lower rated program?

As far as Stricklin making up her mind in 10th grade. WRONG! Her parents wore Razorback merchandise until the start of her Sr. year. Her AAU coach even made mention of how she would not like to travel all the way to Knoxville to play and that was between her Jr. and Sr. years. So, when it comes to facts, get them straight before you jump on someone considerably more knowledgeable than you are on the subject.

Bottom line. Quit giving coaches free rides for 4 or 5 years. This is not 1965 where the talent is in certain areas and you may need years to gain recruiting advantages. This day and age, two years will give you an idea if they will succeed or not. Other than that is pure stalling to save your job. Again, we have a coach that can be directly compared to in Petrino. Fewer years, and already turned the corner with recruits.

T-Whacker it is obvious that you know a lot about basketball and what is going on around the state but the above bolded is jumping the gun. I am not sure how one can be declared a bust after just a freshman year. I think it is WAY too early for that. Time may prove you right, but I would say the jury is still out.

nwahog

You are obviously blindly loyal to the in state girls, but you can't determine players bust after 1 season.  Of course I know Stricklen played out of position, and is probably better then Ricketts.  That being said Collen bringing in Ricketts and Harris were big time moves last season, and they will be very productive in their careers as Lady Razorbacks.  I watched Shanita many times in high school, but lets be honest she has had a less then spectacular college career so far.  Watkins has a higher overall rating then Hook on multiple website, no matter what year they are.  I'm not saying Hook, Madden, or Zachariason won't be good in college, but where are the AR players with major success in D1 recently?  Plus recruiting isn't over till someone signs on the dotted line.

You can not compare Arkansas women's basketball to Arkansas football.  Petrino came to a team that has the facilities, conferece, and history as a Top 25 football program.  Women's basketball had been ruined by Gardner, and doesn't have near the history.  Lady Razorback basketball will probably never be a consistent Top 25 program, so moderate success with improvement is a plus.  Not near enough support for women's sports at the University of Arkansas.

Auburn was good because they had the most dominate player in conference in a down year.  Turnarounds don't usually happen in 1 or 2 years, and we looked a lot better this year than last.  Questions TC coaching if we don't start winning this year, but to question his recruiting is absurd.  He is the one that coached up Angel McCoughtry from a decent high school player into a superstar.  I'm sure there are multiple other examples from that Louisville squad.

On the note of Australia; I'm pretty sure they are right behind the US in women's basketball.  St. Mary's in men's has recently started a pipeline through AU to pretty good success.  If these players were that good in JUCO they probably have the chance to contribute for us.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas