• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Springdale Head Coaching Search(Announcement on Thur 4-30)

Started by Quite Frankly, April 10, 2009, 09:25:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Quite Frankly

Back to square one for the Springdale district as they now have officially advertised their position for a head boys basketball coach on their district website.

Supposedly last time it came down to Taylor and Stamps when Taylor got hired.  Already Stamps name has surfaced in some circles as a leading candidate.  The fact they have now advertised for position seems to indicate they are looking to see what else is out there.

Should be an interesting search and I'm sure several names will be bantered about.  Several already being heard.

We'll wait and see how it plays.  This will be Springdale's 3rd coach in the past 4 years.  You know they will be looking for someone that will stay longer than 2 years.

Quite Frankly

April 10, 2009, 09:31:37 am #1 Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:20:24 am by QF©
Other unconfirmed possibles:

Greg White- Shiloh head coach
Nate Smith- Elkins head coach
Jeff Boogaart- Woodland Junior High
Bill Baird- Father, shooting coach, extreme fan

heffy22

That list makes me laugh.  Thanks I needed a good chuckle.  You've got a guy who couldn't catch a bus on time and one that is off his rocker, and if you are gonna mention Boogaart with that crew at least spell his name right.

Quite Frankly

April 10, 2009, 09:56:39 am #3 Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:59:47 am by QF©
Thanks for the correction.  Double 'o'  with a double 'a' with no double 'g'.  That alone makes him a tough hire for Springdale.

It's my understanding that punctuality and door maintence combined counts 1/3 towards the final decision.

Smithian

Have to go Bill Baird. He would be great about feeding the hot hand during games...

Quite Frankly

Other unconfirmed names coming in:

Mike Nelson- Current Bentonville head coach.  Potential return game to  BHS would improve lackluster crowd.

Jason McMahan- Current Siloam Springs head coach.  He's out of Rakestraws and is a good coach.  Might not be a move up though.

Kevin Johnson-  Current Springdale head football coach.  Great way to get total control of crossover athletes.

Jon Cook- Heritage assistant basketball coach.  The music stopped so time to change chairs again.  Possibly intrigued by award winning school cafeteria.

Quite Frankly

More names surfacing, again these are simply speculations

Nolan Richardson- Former UA head hog.  Springdale completes metamorphosis and goes for 32 minutes of heck

Don Eichenberger- Former long time assistant at SHS that has the dubious award of "5A West jayvee coach of the year" on his resume.

Lauren West- AD at Bentonville.  Decides to show Nelson she really does know basketball.  ;)

Danny Farmer-  Long time coach at several smaller districts in NWA.  This would check one more off the list and he could sing the National Anthem during pregame.

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: QF© on April 10, 2009, 10:58:18 am
More names surfacing, again these are simply speculations

Nolan Richardson- Former UA head hog.  Springdale completes metamorphosis and goes for 32 minutes of heck

Don Eichenberger- Former long time assistant at SHS that has the dubious award of "5A West jayvee coach of the year" on his resume.

Lauren West- AD at Bentonville.  Decides to show Nelson she really does know basketball.  ;)

Danny Farmer-  Long time coach at several smaller districts in NWA.  This would check one more off the list and he could sing the National Anthem during pregame.

Hey, if Nelson could have played her as a 4, Bentonville could have make some noise. I'm thinking the former Northwestern High School (Rock Hill, SC) standout could have filled a Barkley-esque role in the 7A West.

hoops22

I heard that the district really wants Stamps to take it, but he is having a hard time deciding on what to do. By law, they have to open the job up even if they have their guy. It has to stay open for 7 days before they can hire.  After talking with Coach Gebhart at their basketball banquet Monday night, he told me that the district made a huge mistake not hiring Stamps when they had the chance 2 years ago.  He thinks the world of Stamps and said it is just a matter of time before he is a very successful coach in the 7A west. 

I know he coached with Gebhart at Fayetteville and I am not positive,but I think he played for him as well.

Quite Frankly

April 10, 2009, 05:14:49 pm #9 Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:18:23 pm by QF©
Stamps is known for stretching the truth.  Beginning to look like you might be him!

AAAspectator

Quote from: heffy22 on April 10, 2009, 09:50:21 am
That list makes me laugh.  Thanks I needed a good chuckle.  You've got a guy who couldn't catch a bus on time and one that is off his rocker, and if you are gonna mention Boogaart with that crew at least spell his name right.
who missed the bus? wow

OC

April 10, 2009, 10:53:23 pm #11 Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:56:01 pm by OC
nevermind

fireman57

So did they make Taylor leave or did he wont to leave? Iam from northeast Ark an everyone over here is hearing all kinds of reason why he left.

Quite Frankly

After Friday's run of comedy, some true names are beginning to legitimately pop up.

They include:
Stamps- as mentioned
White- as mentioned
McMahan- as mentioned
Price- longtime successful junior high coach in Springdale
Porter- another Springdale junior high coach
Jester- current Springdale assistant
Taylor- Rosebud head coach
Bowlin- Greene County Tech
Unknown- 6A or 7A coach who's name I've yet to hear

There will probably be more.  Those names and a few others not listed are probable interview candidates.  The intriguing one's are:

Price-  Certainly capable and with over 20 years in the district highly respected.  Could see him taking it and hiring his son as an assistant
Bowlin- Resume strong, but another Bill Taylor type in some minds.  Certainly a quality coach and has 2 State Titles under his belt
Taylor- Rosebud coach comes with 2 state titles himself
Stamps- time to hire him or not with this second go round
McMahan- my personal favorite and a comer in coaching circles

John M.

Quote from: QF© on April 11, 2009, 03:35:02 pm
After Friday's run of comedy, some true names are beginning to legitimately pop up.

They include:
Stamps- as mentioned
White- as mentioned
McMahan- as mentioned

There will probably be more.  Those names and a few others not listed are probable interview candidates.  The intriguing one's are:

Price-  Certainly capable and with over 20 years in the district highly respected.  Could see him taking it and hiring his son as an assistant
Bowlin- Resume strong, but another Bill Taylor type in some minds.  Certainly a quality coach and has 2 State Titles under his belt

If Taylor's style didn't fit, I don't think Scott Bowlin or Johnny Taylor should be considered. I don't think Bowlin would be interested anyway, it would be a step down.

Quite Frankly

I do believe that Bowlin would be similar in many respects.  At the same time, he would start with a clean slate and it would be on him to adapt in a more positive manner.  I think Bowlin is looking around though and if successful at Spingdale probably wouldn't stay that long any way.

I have no read on J. Taylor.

Smithian

I like Stamps or Bowlin. Will a certain Bill Baird be on the search committee?

Quite Frankly

April 12, 2009, 01:40:42 pm #17 Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 01:56:26 pm by QF©
I think the choice will dictate his son's playing school next year.  Rumors are rampant.

John M.

Quote from: QF© on April 11, 2009, 04:21:23 pm
I do believe that Bowlin would be similar in many respects.  At the same time, he would start with a clean slate and it would be on him to adapt in a more positive manner.  I think Bowlin is looking around though and if successful at Spingdale probably wouldn't stay that long any way.

I have no read on J. Taylor.

Bowlin will not adapt his style. Got a great gig at GCT, might want a new challenge but will not change his way of doing things.

Quite Frankly

John M.

Quote from: QF© on April 12, 2009, 02:11:20 pm
He might act like he will.

Oh he could probably get the job. I just don't see the allure. Not a step up and I'm sure he would talk to coach Taylor about the program before applying.

Quite Frankly

Or talk to the people that are glad to see Taylor go and why.

This is a little bit of the cart before the horse. 

John M.

Quote from: QF© on April 12, 2009, 03:24:22 pm
Or talk to the people that are glad to see Taylor go and why.

This is a little bit of the cart before the horse. 

I just don't see any merit to the idea of Bowlin going to Springdale. At this point they would be better served to go with a local. They probably feel the same.

Quite Frankly

Springdale would be glad to hear from you.  Give Scoggins a call.

John M.

Quote from: QF© on April 12, 2009, 04:01:05 pm
Quote from: QF© on April 12, 2009, 04:01:05 pm

I highly doubt the Springdale administration wants my input. :)

Yee-Haw

Bowlin would be interested if for no other reason he'd be closer to MSSU.

If Price is hired I'd see the son hired as his replacement at SW rather than his assistant.

hoops22

Coach Price has absolutely no interest in the job. It is a 2 man race between Stamps and Johnny Taylor from Rosebud.

hoops22

Quote from: QF© on April 11, 2009, 03:35:02 pm

They include:
Stamps- as mentioned
White- as mentioned
McMahan- as mentioned

Steve Price is not interested.
Bowlin is interested in one job and that is Jonesboro.
Taylor is a strong candidate but has no contacts here.
Stamps is a favorite, but heard he is leaning toward staying put and waiting for his turn at Har-Ber.
McMahan is staying put.
White-Has no chance or experience. Look at his record with Shiloh.
Porter is a junior high coach and will be for awhile.
Jester-Isn't ready for a head coaching gig in this league.

AAAspectator

Quote from: hoops22 on April 13, 2009, 09:36:04 pm
White-Has no chance or experience. Look at his record with Shiloh.

his record? What other coach in Arkansas plays 10 games every year with half their team and most of those teams are from a higher classification due to "public relations"? If you take away the games at the beginning, he's done a heck of a job in what most consider the hardest job in NWA. 2 seasons in a row he gets his guys on Sunday and plays a conference game on Tuesday. I saw him take his "pre-team" to Van Buren and be down 1 to them entering the 4th before the reality of 6'9 & 6'10 vs 5'9 & 5'10 set in. At the Harber tournament his team competed with 2 teams that Harber played, (beat LRC worse than they did, lost by less to runnerup team). I think Stamps is the favorite but to rule White out for his record is absurd. Who else has won at Shiloh without a D1 player? I'm a fan of White and Stamps but I think it's Stamps job. Glad to see White's name in the mix because it shows people appreciate what he is trying to do.

Quite Frankly

Is the coaching market so competitive that one would resort to downgrading another through his screen name on FF in hopes it would somehow help their individual cause?

Bwana

If they didn't like B. Taylor they sure don't want J. Taylor.. He'll only go where the talent is in place to win a State Championship in the next 2-3 yrs.. It's got to be about him and he doesn't like the spotlight being on other Coaches in the same district..

fredthompson

Not very nice Bwana! Johnny Basketball is a pretty darn good Coach and most folks like competitors. Is he a fit-only if they want to win!

Quite Frankly

Tuesday Update:

At least one interview today.  Supposedly the candidate pool is fairly small at the moment.

ilikebasketball

Quote from: QF© on April 14, 2009, 04:38:44 pm<br />Tuesday Update:<br /><br />At least one interview today.  Supposedly the candidate pool is fairly small at the moment.<br />
any word on who the final candidates are?

Quite Frankly

Details a little sketchy.  They might try to hire inside the district as speculated and see if the search ends quickly.

Bwana

Quote from: fredthompson on April 14, 2009, 01:38:24 pm
Not very nice Bwana! Johnny Basketball is a pretty darn good Coach and most folks like competitors. Is he a fit-only if they want to win!
Didn't say it to be nice ft.. Many of these small towns and schools will tolerate anything in order to win a State Title.. Its all they've got to hang their hat on.. The larger schools admins., players, parents and the refs in those conferences won't put up with their win at all cost and look at me attitudes.. And your right, if they want to win (at all cost) he may be their man.. But, I think they've already had their fill of B. Taylor types..

Quite Frankly

ilikebasketball

Quote from: Bwana on April 14, 2009, 07:09:25 pm<br />
Quote from: fredthompson on April 14, 2009, 01:38:24 pm<br />Not very nice Bwana! Johnny Basketball is a pretty darn good Coach and most folks like competitors. Is he a fit-only if they want to win!<br />
<br />Didn't say it to be nice ft.. Many of these small towns and schools will tolerate anything in order to win a State Title.. Its all they've got to hang their hat on.. The larger schools admins., players, parents and the refs in those conferences won't put up with their win at all cost and look at me attitudes.. And your right, if they want to win (at all cost) he may be their man.. But, I think they've already had their fill of B. Taylor types..<br />
i dont think j. taylor is a win at all costs coach. i think he wants his kids to work as hard as he does and too many kids these days dont wanna do the work to be successful.

OC

bwana, do the football coaches get on the kids in northwest arkansas???  absolutely.  same holds true in basketball.  the only difference is the coaches are surrounded by the fans and everything they do and say is multiplied.  Also, the support for basketball is not the same as it is in football therefore easier for kids and parents to blame the coaches and go back to football. 

Quite Frankly

That's far to generalized of a statement.  There are basketball coaches in the NW that are tough as well and some that are not as tough.  Some of the tougher ones are liked and some are not. 

But there is a difference in 'getting on kids' and being a Grade A jerk.  Each part of the state has coaches like that in every sport.  One came to NWA from another area and ticked off many more people than players and their parents.

That's the reference.  It's one thing to try and mold a player, it's another to act a fool in public and alienate yourself with fans and the community.

That being said, I personally can't say if Johnny basketball fits that same profile.

Don't confuse, 'tough coaching' with being a prude.

hoops22

Quote from: QF© on April 14, 2009, 08:24:56 pm
That's far to generalized of a statement.  There are basketball coaches in the NW that are tough as well and some that are not as tough.  Some of the tougher ones are liked and some are not. 

But there is a difference in 'getting on kids' and being a Grade A jerk.  Each part of the state has coaches like that in every sport.  One came to NWA from another area and ticked off many more people than players and their parents.

That's the reference.  It's one thing to try and mold a player, it's another to act a fool in public and alienate yourself with fans and the community.

That being said, I personally can't say if Johnny basketball fits that same profile.

Don't confuse, 'tough coaching' with being a prude.
Very Well said QF. I agree

hoops22

Quote from: QF© on April 14, 2009, 04:38:44 pm
Tuesday Update:

At least one interview today.  Supposedly the candidate pool is fairly small at the moment.
Who interviewed today?

bballislife

Rumor has it that a former state champion at Emerson and former Hot Springs coach Jim Pennington is one of the candidates interviewing for the job.

AAAspectator

Didn't he "retire" mid-season at Hot Springs and his son took over?

silvers

Quote from: bballislife on April 15, 2009, 08:31:51 am
Rumor has it that a former state champion at Emerson and former Hot Springs coach Jim Pennington is one of the candidates interviewing for the job.

I thought he was just fired at Wickes?

bballfan44

Has Stamps interviewed yet? I thought it was already offered to him

FreeMoney

Quote from: AAAspectator on April 15, 2009, 09:46:32 am
Didn't he "retire" mid-season at Hot Springs and his son took over?
Pennington is a great coach no doubt but is also in the same mode of both of the aforementioned Taylor boys. Seems he probably operates best when he is the only show in town.

Quite Frankly

If Stamps is going to get this job, it should be known the first of the week.  Maybe as early as Monday.

hoops22

I heard Nelson who just got fired from Bentonville applied on Friday and is trying hard to get it.

Quite Frankly

No surprise there.  But what a culture shock that'd be.  Can't think of too more diverse situations.  We all knew Nelson wanted to keep coaching.

Guess we'll see.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas