• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Football Players that will Play Varsity Basketball(2008-09 Season)

Started by Quite Frankly, November 15, 2008, 05:09:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Quite Frankly

There's been quite bit of specialization of 7A athletes in recent years that has all but eliminated very many football players from playing basketball.

It's certainly understandable as 7 on 7 has become a requirement at many schools and essentially makes playing summer basketball at the same time difficult.

How many and who will rely on players that were playing football to contribute or start for basketball?

I think for 7A and some of the larger classifications the quantity is much fewer than the smaller ones.

Scorp

I think Chris Rycraw, Bryants starting tailback in football will play BB.

Scorp

Quote from: Scorp on November 16, 2008, 12:20:01 am
I think Chris Rycraw, Bryants starting tailback in football will play BB.

And also Djion Benton, starting cornerback. 

CornHusker05

Chad Hood, starting wide reciever for bentonville, will start Varsity Basketball.
Also if Steven Reid is healthy enough from his torn ACL he will also be a contributer for the Basketball team

Highfive

Eckwood Could of helped springdale get to the playoffs, but doesnt look like that's going to happen! He went to practice Sunday and he said he's not going to play!

TheReal_Deal24

tay tay lane from har-ber plays WR will play basketball.

parpar

November 18, 2008, 03:05:12 pm #6 Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:07:21 pm by parpar
So this begs the question - who was the last top classification athlete(s) to play football and basketball and at a very high level?  Didn't Jake Bequette play both for Catholic and was a pretty good force on the court?

TheReal_Deal24

southdog

Quote from: parpar on November 18, 2008, 03:05:12 pm
So this begs the question - who was the last top classification athlete(s) to play football and basketball and at a very high level?  Didn't Jake Bequette play both for Catholic and was a pretty good force on the court?
kodi burns, or is that to far back

parpar

It's kind of a limited list, isn't it.  I guess the days of  a combo like Houston Nutt and Robert Farrell, combining as qb and wide receiver in fb, guard and forward in basketball, are over.

CatsnBears

Didn't Matt Jones play both in FS?  And more recently, Drake at Catholic.

Ty

Quote from: CatsnBears on November 19, 2008, 03:03:41 pm
Matt Jones, Kodi Burns, and Paul Henry for the Northside team that beat Har-Ber in the state finals.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: Ty on November 20, 2008, 07:41:45 pm
Matt Jones, Kodi Burns, and Paul Henry for the Northside team that beat Har-Ber in the state finals.

My guess is that was not the Matt Jones he was referring too.

CatsnBears

The Matt Jones I'm talking about was before Har-Ber's existence.

Ty

Quote from: QF© on November 20, 2008, 10:24:17 pm

Ehh, I see. Two Matt Jones. Both good athletes.

RGP

Quote from: Ty on November 21, 2008, 12:59:56 pm

Still, one much better than the other....

Quite Frankly

Ty

Quote from: RGP on November 23, 2008, 09:54:01 pm

Just a little.

southdog

November 24, 2008, 08:02:14 pm #18 Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:18:44 pm by southdog
Quote from: Ty on November 24, 2008, 06:51:14 pm

Just a little.
;D

Ty

Quote from: southdog on November 24, 2008, 08:02:14 pm

Just a little.
but the other won a state championship ring
And the other makes $750,000 a year.

southdog

November 24, 2008, 08:44:02 pm #20 Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:19:31 pm by southdog
Quote from: Ty on November 24, 2008, 08:33:04 pm
Quote from: southdog on November 24, 2008, 08:02:14 pm

Just a little.
but the other won a state championship ring
And the other makes $750,000 a year.
[/quote ;D

CatsnBears

Conway's Will Schichtl is playing both football and basketball this year.

sportsobserver

Really the question should be are there any football players playing basketball that will make difference to their team?  My guess is maybe one or two...but none that I know of at the moment.

neoman77

The two that stand out to me are Spencer Keith and Neil Barlow of PA.  Both are top college football players in the future...Barlow with the Hogs, and Spencer still undecided.  Keith will most likely set the record for passing this weekend.  Both are great basketball players and will be instrumental in PA's success this year.

Quite Frankly

But I point out this is a 7A thread.  I'm trying to illustrate to people that it's not very common in the 7A.  Some dress and a few play, but very few start and contribute.

Ty

Ask anyone who played against Upton and they will tell you they hated it.

Quite Frankly

I have, you are exaggerating.   Plus, this thread is about this year and how things have evolved.

neoman77

You have to take into account the coaches philosophy in which they do not like "their" players to play in any other sport. Ron Ingram for example, former head BBall coach for NLR, was reprimanded for it.  He treated football players that wanted to play basketball like criminals.  This is high school for goodness sake.  Of course there is a mindset that thinks you should stick to one thing to really be good.  Kids develop at different rates of growth mentally and physically. Kids that were good in Jr High aren't even on the map when they get to High School.  Same for High School to College.  Coaches need to let kids do what they feel they can do.  This isn't just the norm in 7A (or thread) It happens in every classification.

I have found that many would play and contribute if coaches weren't on the selfish side to promote themselves verses giving a kid every opportunity to do what is best for them. 

Ty

Quote from: QF© on December 05, 2008, 12:20:34 pm
I have, you are exaggerating.   Plus, this thread is about this year and how things have evolved.
Indignation.

Quite Frankly

Ty

Quote from: QF© on December 05, 2008, 02:54:48 pm
Friendship can lead to blindness.
I am far-sighted. Last Friday night, however, my assumptions were confirmed.

Quite Frankly

Nothing you saw last Friday will alter the low impact level a football player from Springdale had on that horrible basketball season last year.

A terrible team.  Great kid.  But all you're doing here is making my point.  If Upton is the exception it strengthens my argument of a minimal amount of 7A football players impacting basketball.

Smithian

I know that two years ago, football players at both NHS and SHS made huge contributions, but off the top of my head I can't think of any who even played last year on varsity.

There will be three senior football players(Chase Dixon, Spencer Tooley, and David Norris)playing at Southside this year and I think Chase should start, but I don't think the other two will. All three will atleast make moderate contributions.

BryantHornetfan

Dovie

Quote from: QF© on December 05, 2008, 03:29:21 pm
Nothing you saw last Friday will alter the low impact level a football player from Springdale had on that horrible basketball season last year.

A terrible team.  Great kid.  But all you're doing here is making my point.  If Upton is the exception it strengthens my argument of a minimal amount of 7A football players impacting basketball.
Old topic: But would apply this year at SHS.  Dennis, Robinson, Taylor, Johnson all Sophmores playing Football and basketball this fall.  Will be interesting to see how they all do this year.

RocketDad

Catholic TE Garrett Uekman (committted to Arkansas) played BB for the Rockets in 2008 - the year CHS won the 7A state title - as a sophomore and was a man-child on the court. Played last year as a junior.

Haven't heard if he'll play this season at this time.

POINTER1010

David ostrander and brooks white did for vb last season (david all conference in both football and basketball) and (brooks all state in both football and basketball). tyler spoon started last season for bball and football and drew white will be playing football and bball along with joseph snapp.

logan spry and seth bloomberg will be playing on the varsity level after their football season is over at cabot. logan and seth will both be contributers to the team

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas