• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cabot Basketball

Started by raisingkane, November 12, 2008, 07:07:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sportsphreak123

So neoman do you honestly have a son that plays for Cabot?

nwahog

Quote from: neoman77 on December 27, 2008, 11:41:41 am
smithian...what do you think of SSide?  Why are you stuck?

I'm curious as well.  All my comments were pretty much spot on, imo.  They did graduate everybody.  They played a dang good 2nd half to come back against Cabot last year, big play after big play, and Cabot still pulled it out.  They might have a better future ahead of them then that group of SR, but they aren't there yet.

neoman77

Any thoughts on todays Cabot vs Southside game?

sportsobserver

As a supporter of Cabot basketball it is no fun to write this, but Cabot was given a basketball clinic Friday night by Conway.  In my opinion the game was not as close as the 14 point scoring difference indicated.  Conway passed the ball very well, shot very well, ran the floor very well, and played defense very well.

Although Cabot has some talented individual players in their starting lineup, they just don't play together well as a team.  They need a true point guard. Someone who is willing to pass the ball first and shoot later.  Right now they have 1 guy out of the starting 5 who is a pass first shoot 2nd guy.  And he isn't a point guard.  But the bigger reason this team is not succeeding, and I know I will stepping on at least a couple of folks toe's that post on this board, is this team absolutely has NO HEART!  They have no passion, no drive, no fire, no will to win!  They DON"t CARE IF THEY LOSE!

I have said on this board before that this team lacks a leader both on the floor and off the floor.  That lack of leadership still exists and will continue to haunt this team until a true leader steps forward.  I would like to see at least one of these starters (heck even someone on the bench) get fired up and show a little fire under their belt.  You want to get the fan's behind you?  You want the students to come to the games and pack that 40 year old gym and be loud and supportive?  Then give them a reason to come and watch you play! 

I could go on but I'm going to stop here.  If any of the players read this board, please, show us some energy, some fire, some passion for the game.  The only time I see anything out of anyone is when they get think they are fouled by the opponent and the referee doesn't call it.

neoman77

I agree with you Sportsobserver that they aren't playing as a team.  They force shots and take too many threes. 

Imagine what the outcome would be if they reversed what they have been doing by shooting more from the inside than out.  Shooting from the inside does these things.  It is a higher percentage shot, gets more free throws for the team, gets the opponents in foul trouble, stops the clock, and allows controls of time and possession. Plus Cabot has two 6-8 players.  They are not a short team.

Cabot did get within 3 in 4th quarter.  Conway ate Cabot's lunch in the transition game.  The guards didn't protect the basket.  Conway had too many under the basket transition shots.  Also turnovers plagued the guards.

Shooting 3's are a double edged sword.  If you make one that is great. If you miss them, the rebounds are harder to get because the way the ball bounces off the rim bypassing those that boxed out to get the rebound.

A higher percentage 3 is best taken when the player has their feet under them properly for good balance.  When scurrying around in circles trying to throw up a three usually produces a low percentage shot.  That is what has been happening. 

Also they are going to the bucket when there is no place to go forcing shots.  They just are not passing well and playing individually. 

Passing more would allow for a good inside - outside game which will allow the shooters get get their feet under them for a clean shot thus higher percentage results. You can look in a players eyes when he is going to shoot or else. 

It is time for Cabot to mature as a TEAM. 

I do not agree with you that they don't care if they lose.  I do not know where that comes from...it is not what I see.

Cabot will need wins this week with Catholic and NLR. 

I did think Conway played well.  The best part of the Conway game is Cabot never has to play there again this year. To bad for others that have to play there. Ref wise it is bar none the hardest place to play.

DickeyB

Neoman,problem with your scoring point guard. This is only 7A basketball, not D1, are you sure Adam is still all that. Good kid , but D1?

farfromgroovins

Quote from: neoman77 on January 12, 2009, 02:17:50 pm
The best part of the Conway game is Cabot never has to play there again this year. To bad for others that have to play there. Ref wise it is bar none the hardest place to play.

I guess Cabot fans are used to better when they were in the East? Officiating in the Central conference has never been that great. Us Conway fans have been on the receiving end many times as well.

mack

Quote from: farfromgroovins on January 12, 2009, 09:04:56 pm
Quote from: neoman77 on January 12, 2009, 02:17:50 pm
The best part of the Conway game is Cabot never has to play there again this year. To bad for others that have to play there. Ref wise it is bar none the hardest place to play.

I guess Cabot fans are used to better when they were in the East? Officiating in the Central conference has never been that great. Us Conway fans have been on the receiving end many times as well.

Conway, in all sports, has had the worst officiating in central Arkansas for as long as I can remember, and that is a long time.  And, I'm not a Cabot fan.

farfromgroovins

January 13, 2009, 09:49:08 am #108 Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:52:05 am by farfromgroovins
The officiating in football sure didn't help the Cats out any this season.

The wins in basketball won't be because of officiating though. They are going to win because they are good.....this year anyway(enjoying it while it lasts!)

Enough of that....this thread is about Cabot.
I agree, I've seen Cabot 3 times and they have talent but just doesn't seem to come together. Didn't they start out slow last year too? And then come on strong at the end?

neoman77

DickeyB

I definitely think AS is a D1 player.  Cabot's problem are not confined to one player.  They have to start playing team ball as a team.   

Cabot started out slow last year as well.  I think Bridges will get the boys playing well soon. Cabot has talent and size.

sportsobserver

Quote from: neoman77 on January 13, 2009, 10:47:07 am

They have to start playing team ball as a team.   

Cabot started out slow last year as well.  I think Bridges will get the boys playing well soon. Cabot has talent and size.

So, when do you think these guys will start playing together as a team? We are about 15 games into the season you would think they would begin to gel by now.  I thought maybe after the Beebe game, in which Cabot barely escaped with a home win, they would come around.  Especially when he took all of the starters off the floor for their lackadaisical effort and put 5 guys off the bench into the game and they brought the team back and brought enough energy to the floor to allow Cabot to get back into the game and come away with a win.

Cabot does have talent.  They do have size.  They usually look good when playing a team with inferior talent and skill.  But time and again when they match up to a team that is their equal or their superior in talent they usually fold.

Neoman I think we both agree they take too many 3's.  We both agree they need to get the ball inside more often.  They need to pass more frequently and more effectively.  And early on I even agreed with you that they were playing down to their competition.  I'm not sure about that one anymore.

However, I do think there are some deeper issues there that are going to be very tough to overcome by talent and size.  I hope I am wrong.  I wish these boys nothing but success and I still have hope for a great season.

I think this week will be critical. They need to absolutely blow out LRCatholic tonight and they need to beat NLR on Friday night.  Both of these are home games and they need to show they have some grit and determination while winning these games.

neoman77

I am one of those that likes to think positively and not negative. Not that you are trying to be negative. I do think that maybe you may be looking too deep. It only takes a spark to ignite a team and they are capable.

Mental state of a team comes from many factors.  Player perceptions, lack of playing time, parents involvement, coaches, and turning point plays in games throughout the season.  It is all a part of the players mindset. Coaches taking all 5 starters off of a floor is a coaching technique that is old as dirt. Of course this is to wake them up to play better. This doesn't mean Cabot's in a downward spiral and going to lay down and become losers.

I know these guys know they can play.  I know their coach believes they can play. They need to have short memories for their recent losses.They need to just play basketball.  Basketball is fun.

I agree with you that Cabot's games this week are large.  These games can be Cabot's springboard.  They played 2 of the top teams in the State in the last few games.  It is easy to get down after tough losses. The games against Catholic and NLR will be confidence builders and I choose to think they will. 

neoman77

Great win for Cabot vs Catholic.  54-38
Cabot's defense was excellent.  The big man Monroe gave Catholic fits.

Closest that Catholic got was 7 points.

Austin Johnson 24 pts
Alex Baker 10 pts
Miles Monroe 9 pts.

sportsobserver

Not quite a blow out but a thorough defensive effort and a good offensive performance by Cabot.  Now for episode 2 on Friday against NLR.....let's see which team shows up.  Oh, and yes Cabot, you can win a game without one of your key players scoring in double digits.  I think when teams begin to realize that they are going to have to commit a better/taller defender to Austin Johnson then Adam should get a little less pressure and more open shots.

hoopsin53

just because it is the best team THEY have ever had, doesn't mean a lot.  they made a little run in a terrible 7a last year.  7a is better this year.  i think the expectations were too high coming in.  they are going to have to work every night to get a win.  there's nothing wrong with them... they just are not quite as perfect as their faithful wants to make them.  they will be fine.  stop over-analyzing them.

neoman77

I think Cabot is better than last year.  Cabot started out 0-3 in conference play last year. Cabot's run last year was a good one. 

Hoopin53...throwing your water on them doesn't take away what they accomplished last year. 

Cabot's mindset and maybe yours in basketball for years was that they couldn't compete.  They were a football school. 

Now they know they can compete and they are good. No one in 7A last year or this year is "IS PERFECT".  Every game everyone has to work at it to get a win.  I don't see any difference in the 7A from last year to this.

hoopsin53

January 15, 2009, 09:36:48 am #116 Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:38:40 am by hoopsin53
i like their team.  i liked it last year.  but, come on.  if catholic was the best team in 7a last year, it wasn't a banner year for 7a.  their are only 16 teams to compete with, so yes, a half of the teams have a chance.  but it has been one excuse after another from yall this year.  they are a good team.  they have a good coach.  they will be around for a while in the post-season.  but i remember years that cabot's current team would be a very average team in the state's top classification. 

neoman77

Yes there have been years when teams were stronger.  One thing though is that Cabot is in the top classification now. 

Also Catholic beat some good teams last year.  They deserved what they earned.  I think beating Conway for the state title was a big deal.  What makes you think the 7a wasn't strong because they won it all?  Sounds like old perceptions to me.  Give them some credit.

Also this is a thread about Cabot basketball. People will talk about Cabot basketball and what they think about the team.  Excuses...I don't think so.     No one thinks they are perfect.   

FISHERMAN

dane is an apsolute man HOSS hes not big but has ok hieght but has an amazing vertical at 42 inch. and personally i thought he out played adam by far when they played in cabot.

hoopsin53

for the record, i think catholic has the best coach in the state.  i think they could beat anyone any year.  but, last year's championship team is not nearly the best team they have had and they won it.  that's why i think 7a was down. cabot is a good team.  if they get played close, it's them playing "down" to the competition. if they win close, it's they don't know how to put people away.  if they get whipped, it's refs or coach or adam's fault.  maybe they are just good and not magnificent.  that's all i am saying.

mack

Quote from: hoopsin53 on January 16, 2009, 11:51:10 am
for the record, i think catholic has the best coach in the state.  i think they could beat anyone any year.  but, last year's championship team is not nearly the best team they have had and they won it.  that's why i think 7a was down. cabot is a good team.  if they get played close, it's them playing "down" to the competition. if they win close, it's they don't know how to put people away.  if they get whipped, it's refs or coach or adam's fault.  maybe they are just good and not magnificent.  that's all i am saying.

He is a good coach, but the best coach in the state would not be one that sniffs at one state championship in a 20+ something year career, and no conference titles I can remember.  He makes the best out of what he has, I'll give him that.

pantherfan64

(quote author=neoman77) Cabot's mindset and maybe yours in basketball for years was that they couldn't compete.  They were a football school.

You are correct, Cabot was always considered a football school - until Coach Bridges came in. I will not take anything away from any of the teams that have played, or are playing, or will play for Cabot, but I will say, they was a group of boys in 02-03,03-04 and before, that played under another coach that just didn't have the heart for basketball. When we would go to the games, there was plenty of room to sit, people just didn't stay to watch the boys- they won only 7 games in those 2 years. When Coach came to town, the group from 04-05 actually had people staying to watch them and see what the new coach had in store for our boys.  Let me tell you, it was standing room only - we won about 10-11 games that year - may not be much to some people, but to a group of boys that went thru h*&&, it was awesome and they had fan support!  But with each year, our support has grown. I truly believe we are becoming more than a football school.

hoopsin53

talent chasers get more credit than those that stick it out year after year after year and put a competitive product on the court every year (with next to nothing in most years).  the best coach is one who beats other when he doesnt' have a single player that would start for that other team.  Ezzi does that.  Bridges has that going now too (except he happens to have very good talent right now).

neoman77

Fisherman...the only catagory or stat that Dane may be better than Adam is rebounding.  Other than that, Adam rules.  Dane is really good too, but Adam owns the stats.

Cabot played well in their win against NLR.  Their defense was great.

Adam Sterrenberg 25 pts
Austin Johnson  8 pts
Miles Monroe 8 pts

Cabot's inside out game dominated NLR.  So did Cabot's defense.

DickeyB

neoman, how are you so aware of everyones averages, you are so defensive of your pet. Are you sure of your statement about stats or is this another press release for your relative!

neoman77

AS is not a relative but parents are great friends of mine.  I also have helped coach AAU and been involved with boys basketball for the last 18 years.  My comments started last year when no one ever talked about AS when I knew how well he was doing overall.  Everyone has beat me up talking about him, especially last year because many didn't think much of AS or Cabot for that matter.  Thats OK.  I also like Jerry Bridges as a coach.  He has done well bringing basketball out of the mud in Cabot. People today think differently about Cabot and that is a good thing and the coach is to be congratulated.

RpMe fan

Neoman, just by reading your info, you must really value your own opinion. I would also be curious ,How do you personally know what someone elses averages are? I think you blow a lot of smoke, but that is my opinion, and it means as much as your valued opinion, very little!

FISHERMAN

neoman, should we start comparing AS with another great that was known by his initials um who would that be oh yes, MJ. I have noticed on this board you are quiet  when MJ, I mean AS and your team are struggling against the better teams, but then when you beat two mediocre teams your arrogance revives itself. Your hero worship for AS is a little scary.

neoman77

Fisherman...Actually, I don't bring up stuff on AS like last year.  It is only when someone says something derogatory as you seem to be doing.  Truthfully, in the losses Cabot has had, AS played well.  It is a team effort don't ya know so in your attempts to discredit him will not work. Individually he has done well this year.

That being said... doesn't win games though. Cabot is playing better as a team. If you don't like Cabot basketball, go to another thread and harass them.  It is obvious that haters like you need to talk about your team of choice somewhere else. 

RpMe.. I glad to see that you have a small opinion. You a hater too? 

FISHERMAN

Composure, Neoman,  you don't talk up Adam, read your post, no one wants to discredit Adam, just you, by trying to put him above the team.  Saw Cabot play before and they are a good team, and very well coached. You seem to avoid the questions, when someone doubts your opinion or knowledge? So I will ask again how do you know Adams has better averages in all categories than Lottner? Just a legit question for your supposed fact? Or is this more of your smoke blowin?  By the way I keep up with Cabot and want them to do well!  I'm sure there are others who think you regard yourself, highly. Ypu find another thread, free country, remember, look and read your post, I think you used that one.

RpMe fan

Neoman, You made a point about averages and I just want you to prove your point. You put yourself out there with all of your strong opinions, just prove one of your many statements, can you? I'm not a hater, so don't act like that, just give the fact, or is this blowin smoke? Personally, I hope Cabot wins it all!

DickeyB

Neoman, just give the facts. I am a fan of Cabots team and Adam's from a far, as well as many good people around the outreaching area. I hope Cabot wins it all and the big kid gets some recognition, also.  When you  make strong statements, sometime you get called on them. Prove your point and move on.

neoman77

DickyB...RmMefan...Fisherman....   Looks like you all are on the same ship.  Information on both Dane and AS are just as easy for you to look up as me.  If you don't like what is said...you may prove me wrong. 

I am glad you are all are Cabot fans...keep it up.

mack

Quote from: hoopsin53 on January 16, 2009, 10:55:59 pm
talent chasers get more credit than those that stick it out year after year after year and put a competitive product on the court every year (with next to nothing in most years).  the best coach is one who beats other when he doesnt' have a single player that would start for that other team.  Ezzi does that.  Bridges has that going now too (except he happens to have very good talent right now).

You honestly believe he had a team last year where none of his starters would start for any team they played against?  I counted two, probably three.

RpMe fan

Neoman, you proved my point, you didn't have the info when you made one of your statements, on averages. You say whatever you need too, that's unfortunate.

Go Cabot!

neoman77

RpMeFan...

I do have AS complete stats...I don't have the complete stats for Dane.  I am completely comfortable with my statements or I wouldn't have made them. 

You have proved nothing.  You say you are a Cabot fan but I am not so sure.  You must be an Abundant Life fan.  If you have complete access to Dane's stats...lets compare. 

RpMe fan

I am quite confident you have Adams stats it would surprise everyone if you didn't. I am also sure you are comfortable with your statements , to feel differently requires character, sir. I don't have there averages, and don't want you to think so, but I doubt seriously that Adam scoring average would be better than Lottner's, being that Adam plays 7A ball. I really don't think that is a fair comparison to Adam.

I am a fan of good basketball programs and these are both 2 class programs, so yes I am a fan of both schools, I hope thats O.K.

Neoman, I didn't need to prove anything , you proved it for me, You blow smoke and thats O.K., now every one is aware.

hoopsin53

neoman, you should leave well enough alone, let it go. you don't want to compare stats.  the lowest game i know of dane's scoring is 19.  he has been over 40 multiple times.  you may say less competition, but that hurts him because he only gets to play a half.  the only two stats adam might have him in is assists and turnovers.  dane racks up steals and rebounds at a very high rate, i don't know averages, but trust me, let it alone. you are the one that brought up comparing.

RpMe fan

You are right about Lottner only playing half of a game.
hoopsin53 you are exactly right, with your comments,thanks for your info.
I hope both teams win there state tournaments.

neoman77

It seems that all of these comparisons might lend to fact that I don't think highly of Dane.  That is not true.  I love him as well as his parents. They are awesome as so is Dane. I am surprised with what you say his scoring averages are.  What does he average per game?  AS has had several 30 point games in 7a.  I do agree it might not be fair to AS to compare a player in 2a ball where the competition isn't as great.

I don't have to blow smoke if any concerning AS stats. Yes AS does play in a more competitive conference.  I would love to see his stats if he played 2a ball. The overall player discussion is one that I am not alone on.  Dane didn't get to play on the Arkansas Elite Wings AAU team.  The basket guru's didn't include his name in this group. I believe he was good enough to be on that team but wasn't included.

I will say again that Dane is as important to the Abundant Life program as is AS to Cabots.  As an overall player, AS gets the nod.  I am sure that is why he has received a D-1 scholarship. I hope for Dane and his parents that he gets one.

hoopsin53

i KNOW you didn't just call the wings coaches gurus!  haha WOW!  things are finally starting to make sense for me with your logic.  the ones that don't coach a real team are wannabes that happen to have crawfords money to throw around.

ps. i'm sure it is surprising to you what dane scores because you are always on here talking about him like you know him when you obviously don't.

game_day

I will make a prediction here, lottner will get a D1 offer.Both are great players this discussion should be dropped.You can make arguments for both sides. Adam plays 7a competition night in night out and has the other teams best defender on him most of the time and still gets his numbers. Dane same thing but in 2a and to someone elses comment he does sit out alot of minutes due to the fact that AL is up large amounts on other teams within there conference. Here is the thing though I have seen them both play numerous times. I am not from either school and am 40 or so miles away from each school, but when AL is anywhere close I watch them play because of the excitement Dane brings to the game athletically he is very gifted.

DickeyB

Neoman, You must be a politician, you make a comparison of the two's averages, and your asking for Lottners ppg. The AAU comments are off point , but thats what people tend to do when they are wrong, sorry but you are on this. Let it go and don't make up BOGUS FACTS. Adam and Dane are both great players.BTW, you can be a fan of Cabot and disagree with you.

neoman77

Ron Crawford is nationally known as a basketball guru. Anybody that has been around basketball in this state knows this whether they or I believe it or not.

I think Dane will get a D1 chance too.  The facts aren't bogus.  The AAU point was how this all started...that I stated he was an overall better player and athlete.  I was bombarded for the athlete part. I will say he as good an athlete.  I will not say he is an overall better player.  Adam's ball handling skills are by far better.  He is a better overall player.  Nuff said.

Now if you are really Cabot fans...we can concentrate on Cabot.

Hoopin53...you don't know what you don't know.  I do know Dane well.

hoopsin53

you said enough to know exactly how little you know about dane.  also crawford is known as a guru to those that don't know the game which is a lot of the nation.  poll the coaches of this state and ask their opinion of his knowledge.  because you have enough money to be heavily involved in aau means nothing about your knowledge of the game.  (he was also one that guaranteed steven hill's lottery pick and guaranteed a final four with stan heath.) 

RpMe fan

Please Neoman what about the averages ? You could stop this with the admission that you made a false comparison without the facts.  Don't continue to be BOGUS!

neoman77

RpMe fan..

Time to start your own AL thread.  It is hard to compare 2a young men with 7a. I haven't made any false statements. Take your AL banner and put it in your garage.  It is hard to compare apple to oranges.  AS is a better overall player.  Get over it. 

As for hoopin53.....If you could read you could see that I am not a great Ron Crawford fan.  I don't care what local coaches think of Crawford.  Nationwide he is the secretary of AAU with an office in Orlando.  What you say of him I don't care but he IS recognized nationwide.  Get over it. 

I haven't seen any put up or shut up statements for either one of you. It is time for the AL bus to depart. 

If Dane's parents or Dane himself reads this...remember I am for you 100% and I hope and pray you will the 2a championship.  You deserve it.

Now...how about Cabot basketball? 

hoopsin53

January 20, 2009, 01:34:33 am #147 Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:29:46 am by hoopsin53
cabot needs to be the best defensive rebounding team and needs to get to the free throw line much, much more if they want to win it all. they cannot bail the other teams out by avoiding contact by shooting so many long twos and threes.  i think last years team was a little tougher-minded.

DickeyB

neoman, you disappoint again, not unexpected though, you fly off at the mouth and can't prove your point, and start backtracking. As for Dane and his family, they have many true and loyal friends.

I think you need to start your own thread Neoman Basketball. Wouldn't that be fun.

You should put up your expertise hat and relax. You push but don't want to be pushed back, grow up!

RpMe fan

Neoman , you should take your own advice, you want someone else to prove your point, obviously you can't, so shut up.

With friends like you, you know the rest.

To be cont. if necessary!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas