• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cabot Basketball

Started by raisingkane, November 12, 2008, 07:07:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingkane

how do they look going into this season?
i know they did well last year, but i didn't get to see many games. what's the season going to look like?

df44

I think they will be pretty solid at the gaurd positon, but did that big guy they had last year, I think he was #33, graduate.  He dominated the boards and was a big time inside presence.  He will be a real loss.  Does anyone know if he is playing college ball anywhere, i thought he was D1 material.

rendrag54

He took a baseball scholarship to Crowder

df44

Quote from: rendrag54 on November 12, 2008, 09:23:31 pm<br />He took a baseball scholarship to Crowder<br />

He must be one heck of a baseball player then, if he is better at baseball than he is at basketball i'm suprised he didn't get drafted. 

Adam

What Cabot basketball players will go on and play college ball?  Any early signees?

sportsobserver

November 14, 2008, 06:37:07 pm #5 Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:03:07 am by sportsobserver
Cabot has two young men who have already signed letters.  Adam Sterrenberg and Austin Johnson.  Adam Sterrenberg is going to Arkansas State to play for Coach Brady. Austin Johnson is going to Christian Brothers in Tennesse, a small private college.

As for this season....Cabot will definitely miss Sam Bates (33) under the boards and for his leadership.  They will also miss Tim Lawerence.  Tim was a great defensive stopper and a team leader.  Both of these young men have graduated.

Cabot played West Memphis this past Tuesday night in West Memphis.  Cabot lost by 2 points despite leading for almost the entire game.  The big kid for West Memphis that signed with Arkansas was not really a factor.  I think he had 1 block and 4 points. He was in foul trouble most of the night. Cabot seemed to go cold in the second half and maybe they were coasting a little or maybe the took a couple of plays off.  They missed free throws that they should have been made.  Overall not a bad performance against a pretty decent West Memphis team, on the road.

Cabot will need an emotional leader to step forward this year for the team to rally around. Right now, in my opinion, that is the missing ingredient.

onegearruss

Do you think Sam Bates was a better player then Miles Monroe ?

sportsobserver

Quote from: onegearruss on November 17, 2008, 04:55:42 pm
Do you think Sam Bates was a better player then Miles Monroe ?

Not necessarily a better player from an overall perspective.  I think Monroe is definitely a better shooter.  I think Bates was a better rebounder and pretty good at cleaning up the trash around the basket.  It is the intangible we need to see from Monroe this year, along with his fellow seniors, of leadership.  I don't think any of these guys are selfish players.  However, they need a leader and a player that can lead them with some emotion.  I actually think Miles can be that player.  When he wants to he can play and he can play with emotion and with fire.

onegearruss

Ok, just wondering what you thought, because other people on here were saying that Bates was the best player on the team and i would of put him around fourth if i had to list them.

sportsobserver

Quote from: onegearruss on November 18, 2008, 09:09:44 am
Ok, just wondering what you thought, because other people on here were saying that Bates was the best player on the team and i would of put him around fourth if i had to list them.

Sam was a good player and a good guy but not the best player on the team.  He did bring the toughness and leadership that we seem to be looking for now.   No, in my opinion Adam Sterrenberg was and is the best player on the team.

Adam

Could someone please post their schedule?

red bone

Is Spencer Neuman playing basketball

sportsobserver

Neuman is not playing basketball this year.  He was on the team last year but he didn't seem to have is heart in it.  Bloomberg (the qb from the football team) is back on the team this year now that football is over and a 10th grader from football.  Neither one made an impact on the basketball court last year as sophomores.  Truthfully, I'm not sure either one them liked the transition from working with and playing for the football head coach to dealing with and putting up with the basketball head coach.

For a team that returns basically 3 starters and 1 other that played a ton of minutes I have not been impressed by this year's team....yet. I hope that I will be before the season is over.

neoman77

Cabot will be good or better this year.  With the experience of the (3) Adam, Austin, and Miles (they played AAU Ball for Wings Elite this summer) they played some of best players in the country and won several tournaments like  "The Great American Shootout" in Denton, TX which is one of the big three tournaments in the nation. 

They beat the number one AAU team 3 times during the summer and were on ESPN2 coming back from 20 points down to do it. Miles was instrumental in shutting down the players that all the big time coaches were there to see. (Duke's Coach K, Kansas Bill Self, NC-Williams, UCLA's coach and many others)

Bates was a great player for Cabot and was athletic but did not have the versatility of a Miles Monroe.  Miles can run the floor, pass well, shoot, rebound, and this summer was the one the Wings called on to shut down the premium players around the country.  His defense is some of best in the country.  Miles is being courted by West Point, ASU, Tenn-Martin, UALR, UCA, Stephen F. Austin, and many Div. 2 schools.  He broke his ankle his sophomore year against Parkview, NLR's first game of the season when Parkview was in the same conference.  No doubt he'll help them back to the State championships again this year.

He held the big man from West Memphis to 4 points.  (Hog signee)  Last year the big man from West Memphis was insignificant. I don't know why the hogs signed him.  The hogs need no more projects.

The key to this years success will be if Cabot doesn't always rely on the three and involve the big man Miles in the offense more.  The last game against Pine Bluff, Cabot looked very balanced.  Saying they have no leadership is not correct.  The season is young.  They have experience and will be a contender.  This year's 7A will be competitive.

neoman77

They are off to a great start.  They are playing better than they were a year ago this time.  4-0

sportsobserver

Neoman-What did you think about last night's performance against Abundant Life?

neoman77

I think they distributed the ball better last night.  Making smart decisions with the ball is key.  They really didn't take "bad" shots last night which to me is overall improvement.  They do need to enhance their killer instinct when they have teams down.  The Dane kid for Abundant Life is good.  Abundant Life is better than most think so last night's win was really a good one.

rammer

Very entertaining game. There were some good players from both teams on the court. Monroe really looked good. Sterrenburg and Lottner are  2 of the best guards in the state.

Playing a big team like Cabot will help Abundant Life against their 2A foes. Playing a quick team like the Owls will also help the Panthers. Good luck to both teams for the rest of the season. Would love to see them both back in the state playoffs.

neoman77

sportsobserver

Thanks for the input. I didn't make it to the game last night but what I had heard is that we took too many 3 point shots and didn't spend enough time trying to get the ball inside, espcecially the 2nd half.  Glad to see Miles had a big game, at least point wise. Hopefully his rebounding and defense were good last night as well.  I really think he has to play well this year, and stay out of foul trouble, for Cabot to do well.

neoman77

Big game against Conway in Searcy Tournament.  I think Cabot will win this one.

nwahog

Quote from: neoman77 on December 06, 2008, 02:49:12 pm
Big game against Conway in Searcy Tournament.  I think Cabot will win this one.

What games do you not think Cabot will win?  Just saying...

Basketball15

sportsobserver

Neoman-
Glad you are an optimist concerning the Cabot BBall program. I am as  well.  As you know by now Cabot lost to Conway tonight.  The problem with this team is not the players.  Talk to some of the players about the coaching leadership or lack of it and you will quickly find out why it is going to be difficult for this team to be a consistent winner.

I commented earlier that this team needed a strong player leader to step up.  They still don't have one.  The reason they need strong leadership from one of the players is because they don't get it from the head coach.

Don't confuse this as an attack on the coach's ability to design plays and conduct practice.  This is about being a leader of young men.  A good coach would have these guys dying to play for him.  Most of these guys would probably be happy to be playing for anyone else but him.  This is just my opinion from observations and converrsations with some of the players.

neoman77

I didn't get to see the game tonight.  I am only getting feedback.  Cabot lost some close ones last year at the beginning of the season too. (Vilonia, Wynee)

I do have a problem with one of the referees that got to referee the game.  The same one that lied about Coach Jerry Bridges throwing a cup at him after playing Conway in Conway got to referee.  He stated the the coach threw a cup at him and hit him.

He was caught lying after the game film was reviewed by school officials. Coach Bridges was cleared of any wrong doing. This ref was clearly embarrassed of what he did during that boys game. How did he get to referee the game tonight?  It is also my understanding that this same ref was reprimanded for his actions and the AAA will not let this ref do any Cabot games during the season.  How he got to referee during this tournament baffles me. I quess the AAA has no authority in tournaments like this.  He is the one the made 2 questionable calls at the end that turned the game.  Southside's coach who attended the game with some other coaches thought the calls were horrible.

That being said, it is still sour grapes.  Everyone gets bad calls.  Cabot had too many turnovers.   I was told Conway wasn't that great either.  It was a game either could have won.  Good thing this is not a conference game for Cabot.  Teams around the state could be starring at either one of these two teams in the finals. 

Conway has a great team.  So does Cabot.  It is early yet. 

As for sports observer....as for blaming the coach for the loss, I have never seen a coach play in a game yet.  It is the kids that play.  It is up to them to perform. Coach Bridges is a fine fundamental coach.  He is well respected by his peers and college coaches. Also, what do you define as leadership?  They have 3 that have been around the block and have played together for quite a while now.  Adam was the leading scorer in 7A last year. The guys look to him to lead and he does. They know each others role. Also if these players can't play for Bridges. they will have a rude awakening when they play for a college coach.

I was on Cabot's bandwagon last year when so many so called pundits dissed them right and left. They did well.  They will do well again because they really are a good basketball team.  Cabot lost last year to Wynne on a last second foul call that went against them is this same tournament.  The did ok after that didn't they? So much for them being a consistent winner.  They will do just fine.

The season is young.  They have targets on their back from last year.  What I hope to see is maturity from the kids.  We will just see how much maturity they have.  They can play and beat anyone in their conference.    You bet that I am a optimist concerning this program, but it is the players that have to make it happen and not blame anyone but themselves.         

OlGuyWicker

Quote from: neoman77 on December 07, 2008, 12:18:03 am

I do have a problem with one of the referees that got to referee the game.  The same one that lied about Coach Jerry Bridges throwing a cup at him after playing Conway in Conway got to referee.  He stated the the coach threw a cup at him and hit him.

He was caught lying after the game film was reviewed by school officials. Coach Bridges was cleared of any wrong doing. This ref was clearly embarrassed of what he did during that boys game. How did he get to referee the game tonight?  It is also my understanding that this same ref was reprimanded for his actions and the AAA will not let this ref do any Cabot games during the season.  How he got to referee during this tournament baffles me. I quess the AAA has no authority in tournaments like this.  He is the one the made 2 questionable calls at the end that turned the game.  Southside's coach who attended the game with some other coaches thought the calls were horrible.

Is this the ref that looks like Gary Coleman?  He should not be doing any major high school games.  He has control issues, thinking he is the show.  The game is about the kids.  Refs should understand this and do their best to give the kids a fair game.  This guy wants everyone in the gym to know, he is in charge. 

neoman77

No, I don't think that is the same guy you are referring to.  I do know who you are talking about and yes I agree with you on what you said.

neoman77

sports observer...what did you think of last nights game with PA? 

sportsobserver

Sorry. Been busy and just now getting to respond on the PA game.  I thought we played well against an inferior team.  A PA team that will be much different in 2 or 3 weeks after a)they get a few games under their belt, and b) after Spencer Keith and Neal Barlow get on the floor and get some minutes in so they can get back in their groove.

I thought Monroe had a good game and Gary Clark did really well on the offensive end.  I am still concerned about the apparent lack of leadership on the floor from one of the players (meaning they don't have a true team leader).  I'm sure, if you were at the game, that you noticed Jack Bridges never took a shot, even when he was wide open.  If you are close to the team you know that story and it's not one I'm going to comment on here.

They have to get better as a team. The coach is going to have to develop depth, something he hasn't been real good at, in my opinion over the years.

sportsobserver

A 2nd separate comment since Cabot has played and lost to Mills since the first match-up with PA.....

Cabot did not look like a team in the Mills game.  They looked like 5 individuals playing a pickup game. All wanting to make sure they got their points or got their shots in.  The defense was anemic at best.  This is not to take away from Mills. They played a very good game and they have a couple of guys on their team that are good players. I don't remember names but 15, 5, and 4 for Mills all did a good job.

The question at this point, even though it is early, will these young men step up and play together consistently as a team?  Monroe, Johnson, Sterrenberg, Clark, and Bridges are all seniors.  I still think the one that has the potential to be the team leader is Monroe.  Just because he can, and sometime does, play with emotion.  He can step up to be the team leader if he wants.  I still think this team has great potential for the season.

That being said.....I think if I were coaching this team I would send a message to these guys after that performance yesterday.  You can't win the CAC Tournament at this point, and I know that was the goal.  I would want my players to understand that I want 100% from them on every play on both ends of the floor.  To send that message I would bench the starters for at least quarter if not a half.  I would play my bench, who would give 100% on every play on both ends of the floor.  I know the bench isn't as talented or developed, but you can afford to send the message and get their attention NOW.  If you wait until conference starts it will be too late.

They are playing PA again today at 4pm.  I expect a closer game than they had on Tuesday but I still expect Cabot to win....even if he played the bench for a half!

By the way, Coach Tucker did this last year at Bryant, in the JV game.  The starters were not performing and were being lazy getting up and down the floor.  He sat them down and played the bench.  When the starters came back in they played with a new fire and intensity.  I think that might do the trick with the current group as well.

I'm not a coach nor a basketball expert, but these are just my observations and opinions.

neoman77

The bad news is they lost 3 games like last season early. (including West Memphis exhibition game)  The good news is they only lost by 2-3 points in all of their losses in the last minute.  They clearly should have won all of their games but didn't.  One of the games was against the #1 rated team in Arkansas (Conway) and we played well but still played to their level verses the level I think these talented kids could play at.  I still think they can win the state championship.  They do have the talent.

They clearly are playing down to their competition rather than playing hard 100% of the time.  They can be very individual at times.  When trying to move the ball down on the block to the big man Monroe, things open up. The more they play as a team and not take bad shots in traffic all the time but pass it around till they get a good one, their record will improve. 

I thought Seth (Cabot's Football teams quarterback) did a good job passing the ball which is a positive because in the long run I think he will help this team.  He made difficult passes look easy.  Many of the times the kids on the receiving end were not ready for them, but they were great passes. 

They are telegraphing passes. They are doing too much thinking verses just playing and I think that what is causing turnovers.  When I can see what they are thinking before they pass...is scary.  They have got to be more fluid.  I am looking for maturity, and maybe you are looking for same thing as you define as a leader.

Conference play hasn't started yet.  They are just a turnover or ball call going our way to being undefeated.  If they were getting blown out or seeing they didn't have the talent to win on the floor, I wouldn't be optimistic. but I am.  It is up to the kids to grow up and take their destiny in their own hands.  As the Nike saying goes...just do it.   

Titan Spirit

A 2A school abundant life was only lost to them by 10 in the Searcy tourney...not sure if they were looking past them or not but the kid from abundant life looked better than anyone on the Cabot squad...

neoman77

When you up by 25-30 points most of the game you let everyone play.  Abundant Life has a good team.  Dane is a great kid but please....he doesn't have the ability like a Adam....nor could he or the team stop Monroe.  Coach Bridges let all of the team play which allowed Abundant life to get closer and a last second 3 made it seem by the score that it was close but that wasn't the case.  Cabot's starters were on the bench.

raisingkane

i graduated from cabot. but i don't live there anymore bc of college.
are there any games over christmas break. (starting the 15th or so going through jan 11)?

shaniqua

Cabot girls play in the 'Battle of the Brier' tournament in Greenbrier next Saturday Dec. 20, and if they win, play the Vilonia/LRC winner Monday Dec. 22 at 4:00 - the winner of that game would be in the finals Saturday Dec. 27th. Cabot boys are at home against Beebe Friday, Dec. 19, then play in the Coke Classic at Ft Smith the week after Christmas. Then they play at Conway Jan. 9. 

raisingkane

how is conference play looking for the panthers this season?

MrNiceGuy

Quote from: raisingkane on December 16, 2008, 12:55:28 am
how is conference play looking for the panthers this season?

I heard that they are starting in January.

neoman77

Yes, conference play atarts Jan 9th against Conway.

They should be in the running to win it.

l8rh8r

Quote from: neoman77 on December 13, 2008, 09:17:56 am
When you up by 25-30 points most of the game you let everyone play.  Abundant Life has a good team.  Dane is a great kid but please....he doesn't have the ability like a Adam....nor could he or the team stop Monroe.  Coach Bridges let all of the team play which allowed Abundant life to get closer and a last second 3 made it seem by the score that it was close but that wasn't the case.  Cabot's starters were on the bench.
Neoman - I enjoy reading your posts most of the time but surely you could see in the Cabot vs Abundant Life game that there is a reason that there are classifications in high school sports. Cabot was clearly the better of the two teams ... they should be (1582 students to 189 students). I believe that BOTH teams will go deep or win State in their classification. They were NOT better because Dane doesn't have the ability "LIKE A ADAM". BTW- Cabot starters played the ENTIRE 4th quarter in that game. Cabot's bench was in 3 minutes MAX in the 3rd qtr. I think the paper said that the Lottner kid scored 19. Monroe did too, so I guess the same can be said that Monroe couldn't stop Lottner either (although Lottner out rebounded 6'-8" Monroe with 11 boards from the guard position). "Please ....he doesn't have the ability" is a comment made by a fan that is clearly blind to all but their own team. Even though they play the same position Adam and Dane clearly have different strengths. Adam will handle the ball better but Dane is a better athlete. Both can score inside AND outside ... a lot! I would NOT say that Dane doesn't have Adams ability ... How about this? ... they are BOTH VERY GOOD PLAYERS. I wish they played on the same team. That would be FUN to watch!

holdup

Those that actually were there and watched the Cabot/ Abundant game saw only 8 cabot players play; saw the cabot starters on the court at the horn; saw Sterrenberg play 32 minutes; saw abundant sit back and watch Sterrenberg dribble out the final 27 seconds (no last second three); saw abundant have three chances to cut it to single digits in the final two minutes; saw the lead get to 19 not 30; saw cabot out-play abundant in the first half and get out-played in the second.

sportsobserver

I actually missed the Abundant Life game (had to work).  I know we had a large lead at one point.  What I will say is this....Bridges is only playing about 7 guys this year unless he has a 20+ point lead late in the game.  So, unless Cabot was up by 20+ mid-way or late in the fourth quarter I would have been surprised if more than 7 or 8 guys ever made the floor for that game.  (This is one thing I don't agree with about Coach Bridges...these are non-conference games, and yes you want to win, but if you don't try to develop your bench now, there will be no one there with any court experience if you need them come conference time. Conference games are different in my opinion.  Every conference game is a must win. That is why you play 10 - 12 non-conference games.  To give your team some experience and to develop your bench.)  Just my two cents worth on that.

pantherfan64

Quote from: sportsobserver on December 18, 2008, 09:18:26 am<br />I actually missed the Abundant Life game (had to work).  I know we had a large lead at one point.  What I will say is this....Bridges is only playing about 7 guys this year unless he has a 20+ point lead late in the game.  So, unless Cabot was up by 20+ mid-way or late in the fourth quarter I would have been surprised if more than 7 or 8 guys ever made the floor for that game.  (This is one thing I don't agree with about Coach Bridges...these are non-conference games, and yes you want to win, but if you don't try to develop your bench now, there will be no one there with any court experience if you need them come conference time. Conference games are different in my opinion.  Every conference game is a must win. That is why you play 10 - 12 non-conference games.  To give your team some experience and to develop your bench.)  Just my two cents worth on that.<br />
Your two cents worth are right on the money! I agree 100%.

neoman77

No disrespect for Dane.  He again is great player but I can't compare him to Adam.  I have seen Adam play with the best of the best. I will say that he is as important to Abundant Life's program like Adam is to Cabot.  They are both producers.  In this game almost everyone played for Cabot. (more than 7).  What I saw is Abundant Life team get jumped on the first half and watched Cabot's uninspired play in the 2nd half because of the first.  I thought Dane did well and played inspired ball in the 2nd half.  And you are right, Adam and Dane are both great players. 

Cabot has had the chance to play larger classification schools that Abundant Life doesn't get to because of school size.  I can only comment on what is being witnesses so far this year. I am seeing a trend for the Cabot's kids to play to the level of their competition.  Whether it is Abundant Life (2A) or Conway (7A).  We are not putting aways teams when they have the ability.  We will see if they mature and become more disciplined, as the season goes on.  I do like it when Coach Bridges gets to play everyone.  It is important come conference play time.  I wish only the best for Abundant Life.  They will make noise in their conference.

DickeyB

Neoman you obviously dont recognize athletic ability. the Lottner kid has a 40" vertical and can play anywhere. you are for sure a cabot homer  i think the adam kid is a decent player but will probaly have to transfer after his 1st year of college if Brady even really wants the kid. you should change your name to "Cabots Rick Schaffer" or is Adam your son. i know Cabot is the most athletic team in the state. ha! ha!

l8rh8r

Quote from: DickeyB on December 19, 2008, 04:20:15 pm
Neoman you obviously dont recognize athletic ability. the Lottner kid has a 40" vertical and can play anywhere. you are for sure a cabot homer  i think the adam kid is a decent player but will probaly have to transfer after his 1st year of college if Brady even really wants the kid. you should change your name to "Cabots Rick Schaffer" or is Adam your son. i know Cabot is the most athletic team in the state. ha! ha!
Wow! That is pretty vicious ... But I will stick to my original statement that Dane and Adam are both AMAZING and I would bet that they will BOTH have a lot of fun in STATE.

As far as Adam playing the best of the best and the Lottner kid not ... I think that Adam has played in higher classification ball games but that in no way keeps Lottner out of Adams class. I am not bashing or in any way running Sterenberg down. I am ONLY saying that it would be unfair to say that Lottner "isn't in the same class" as Adam because he doesn't play 7A ball or didn't play on the Wings top team (although I think Lottner played for the Wings but not the same Wings team).

The rest of the season is going to be fun for both AND their teams. I for one think Bridges is a good coach and I wish him Adam and ALL of the Panthers great success this year.

neoman77

dickey...I know Dane and have watched him grow up and play ball and AAU ball with several of boys I follow.  He does have great athletic ability.  They are different type of players. The difference is Adam has a uncanny ability to do all kinds of things on the b-ball court. That is why he was recruited and signed. 

As for Dane...he is fun to watch.

I do not live in Cabot nor is Adam my son.  ha ha 

Titan Spirit

neoman do you have a child on the cabot team....

neoman77

I have a wife that teaches in Cabot

DickeyB

Neoman a.k.a. Rick Schaffer Jr. I would say that your son Adam wouldn't have had a double double  against a 7A power in your mind,on a 1A team in reality because of the private school multiplier. you say no disrespect for Dane but you post Dane is a great kid but please he doesn't have the ability like a Adam and continue to say he couldn't stop Monroe even though he had 11 boards from the guard position. I also saw your coach pull the ball out at the end of the 1st half for the last shot of the half and left the ball in Adams hands with 7 seconds to go your coach said take him {Mike Steele}.Adam couldn't shake the kid and got his shot blocked by another Class 2A player. When the kid was being guarded in a man to man he is very limited. But you are a very good judge of CABOT TALENT! I will Promise you there is no comparison in athletic ability between these two. Lottner would Grade out by far the better athlete with more upside. Great talent evaluation. You really know the game. Keep up the good work. You should stick to being a fan, instead of a biased critic of high school kids talent.

Quote from: DickeyB on December 19, 2008, 04:20:15 pm
that 40'' vertical means "zero" if you don't put the little orange ball in the round thing with the net on it, attached to the front of that piece of glass. i have never seen the other kid play one second, but i have seen adam many times ( 20 +) and he is as good as anyone i have seen him play against. you obviously don't know very much about athletic ability yourself. (although neoman does sound like a recruting commercial for adam and it gets old even for us cabot folks) adam was a good sign for a. state. i think he will suprise some folks. bottom line, he produces with points every game in the states largest classification week in and week out so how can you argue with that?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas