• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GIRLS CHAMPIONSHIP: WATSON CHAPEL 48, WEST MEMPHIS 46

Started by BarclayAlmanac, March 08, 2008, 10:51:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BarclayAlmanac

Watson Chapel head coach Leslie Byrd just drew up the winning play in the dirt, sort of.

On an inbounds pass under their own goal, Cierra Emerson tossed it to Whitney Lee who converted it into the game-winning layup with 3.2 seconds left as the Lady Wildcats claimed their first state title with a 48-46 win over West Memphis on Saturday night at Hot Springs' Summit Arena.

Watson Chapel finished 24-5 while West Memphis finished 25-5.

"We just made it up (in the huddle)," said Byrd said. "We wanted to set a double-screen for Whitney. We felt like she's the one that we needed to have it. "

Lee earned the Most Valuable Player award with 13 points and five rebounds.

"I was nervous because there was a lot of pressure on me," Lee said of the final play. "It turned it good."

West Memphis led 44-40 with 2:21 left but Watson Chapel scored three straight buckets to take a 46-40 lead. Lee scored underneath with 2:06 left and Naisha James drove the baseline for the game-tying bucket with 1:30 left. West Memphis turned the ball over and Lee scored inside again as Watson Chapel went up 46-40 with 1:01 left.

West Memphis tied the game with Tashley Gaines' driving jumper inside with 52 seconds left.

Watson Chapel then worked the clock down to the game-winning play.

Emerson finished with 12points and Caitlyn Wamble added 11 for Watson Chapel.

Porsha Donnerson scored 14 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead West Memphis.

Watson Chapel won despite committing 20 turnovers compared to just 12 for West Memphis and also being outrebounded by a 29-23 count. The Lady Wildcats did hit 20 of 35 from the floor for the game for 57 percent.

"We shot it extremely well," Byrd said. "West Memphis strength is offensive rebounding, and they beat a lot of people with that."

A complete statbox may be viewed at:  http://fac.hsu.edu/mitchet/livestats/aaa/bk/

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas