• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gravette Open?

Started by whippersnapper, April 25, 2018, 01:59:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whippersnapper

From what I am hearing and understanding (from multiple people) Bill Harrelson is stepping down at Gravette to take a position at Fayetteville. So if anyone knows otherwise please speak up. He was hired to become the Gravette HC in 2006 and has been there 12 years. Anyone that has been in the NWA area for the last 15-20 know how hard it really is to get small school programs going in the right direction consistently. He took over for Texas legend Wendell Robinson which lead the lions to the quarterfinals in 05 with an 8-5 record. So I feel like he came in with some expectations to be met. Over the next 12 seasons Harrelson lead the lions to arguably their best run in football ever.
He made the playoffs 11 out of the 12, missing only in year 1 at 4-6. From then on it was pure LDC (Lion Destruction Crew) for the Lions vs 1-4A. Over his time he compiled an 84-54 (52-27) record, 7-11 in playoffs,  winning 61% of his games, averaging a 7-4 (5-2) record. Also winning the 1-4A conference championship/semi final appearance in 2007.
2006: 4-6 Missed playoffs
2007: 10-3 undefeated conference champs, Semi-Finals
2008: 9-3 2nd round
2009: 9-3 2nd round
2010: 9-2 1st round
2011: 10-3 Quarter-Finals
2012: 4-7 1st round
2013: 3-8 1st round
2014: 6-5 1st round
2015: 7-4 1st round
2016: 7-5 2nd round
2017: 6-5 1st round.
Although Harrelson only won 1 conference championship in that time, the lions easily could've won 3-5 in a row from 07-11 if it wasn't for Shiloh. At that time was when the saints had so much college "talent" that when you walked out on the field you just sort of threw your hands up. No one was going to stop that freight train but the saints themselves.
Hats off to a great run for Coach Bill Harrelson and the Gravette Lions, I wish you the nothing but the best in the future.

beach bum

If he really is leaving I wanted to say thank you for his time there at Gravette even though I don't have any affiliation with Gravette. Every time I have seen his Gravette teams in person they play hard and play clean, fundamental football. Even more so, I feel his teams always display great sportsmanship and character. You know the coaches who don't put up with the non sense by the effort and sportsmanship their players display because they respect their coach. I say thank you because his Gravette teams have been a great representative for the 1-4A conference in his time there. It's really a representation of the kids and the entire coaching staff at Gravette.... Some things of note below about the future in Gravette moving forward for the next guy.

-Will they move to 5A in 2020? If not so, I am almost sure they will by 2022. This will make things tougher in the 5A West for the new guy. Not impossible, but tough

- I wonder if a coordinator in Lion Land will want this job? Wouldn't be a bad option for them considering the program is doing steady and left in good hands

-tons of guys around the state will want this job how close it is to Bentonville
-

bigchief72455

Quote from: beach bum on April 25, 2018, 02:20:22 pm
If he really is leaving I wanted to say thank you for his time there at Gravette even though I don't have any affiliation with Gravette. Every time I have seen his Gravette teams in person they play hard and play clean, fundamental football. Even more so, I feel his teams always display great sportsmanship and character. You know the coaches who don't put up with the non sense by the effort and sportsmanship their players display because they respect their coach. I say thank you because his Gravette teams have been a great representative for the 1-4A conference in his time there. It's really a representation of the kids and the entire coaching staff at Gravette.... Some things of note below about the future in Gravette moving forward for the next guy.

-Will they move to 5A in 2020? If not so, I am almost sure they will by 2022. This will make things tougher in the 5A West for the new guy. Not impossible, but tough

- I wonder if a coordinator in Lion Land will want this job? Wouldn't be a bad option for them considering the program is doing steady and left in good hands

-tons of guys around the state will want this job how close it is to Bentonville
-
+1

Brian G

April 25, 2018, 03:59:20 pm #3 Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:02:29 pm by B.G.
It's true.

Going back to Ramay Jr High where he coached years ago.  He will coach the 7th and 8th grade teams.  When he was there before the alignment was 8th and 9th.

3 years ago Fayetteville joined Rogers and Bentonville with 9th-12th in their main high school building.

This fall, the larger schools in NWA will start 7th grade programs in the main sports.

Good guy. Wish him well.

nastynice

Gravette won't be the only 4a school open by the time this year is over.

Eagle boss

Is he for sure leaving?

Brian G

Quote from: Eagle boss on April 26, 2018, 10:57:57 am
Is he for sure leaving?
Nothing is 'official' until it's announced.

Brian G

100% done.  He was introduced at Ramay tonight.

Brian G

Wendell Robinson

I waited until it was made official to say anything about this. I was privileged enough to work for Coach Harrelson for 2 years on a volunteer basis. I have since moved on and coach at another school now but I will be forever in debt to Coach Harrelson for taking a chance on me and letting me into his program. He didn't have to take the chance but he did and I am extremely grateful and blessed to have gotten the opportunity. Coach Harrelson is a class act in every way possible. He takes ownership for his mistakes and gives credit where it is due. He is a tremendous football mind, but more importantly he is a character builder. He molded so many young men into successful individuals on and off the field. He cared about the young people that were entrusted to him and handled so many difficult situations in the best manner possible for his kids, as if he knew exactly what they needed during those times. I still think he has a lot of years left in him but he's just worn out right now. He had a player pass away after battling leukemia during the 2016-17 school year and picked up those pieces and put them back together. He is a leader and a mentor, but more importantly he is a friend. To me and to hundreds of former Gravette Lions that he coached. Good luck Coach, the kids at Ramay are getting a true gem.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Wendell Robinson on April 26, 2018, 10:37:13 pm
I waited until it was made official to say anything about this. I was privileged enough to work for Coach Harrelson for 2 years on a volunteer basis. I have since moved on and coach at another school now but I will be forever in debt to Coach Harrelson for taking a chance on me and letting me into his program. He didn't have to take the chance but he did and I am extremely grateful and blessed to have gotten the opportunity. Coach Harrelson is a class act in every way possible. He takes ownership for his mistakes and gives credit where it is due. He is a tremendous football mind, but more importantly he is a character builder. He molded so many young men into successful individuals on and off the field. He cared about the young people that were entrusted to him and handled so many difficult situations in the best manner possible for his kids, as if he knew exactly what they needed during those times. I still think he has a lot of years left in him but he's just worn out right now. He had a player pass away after battling leukemia during the 2016-17 school year and picked up those pieces and put them back together. He is a leader and a mentor, but more importantly he is a friend. To me and to hundreds of former Gravette Lions that he coached. Good luck Coach, the kids at Ramay are getting a true gem.
Great post. I don't know him as well as you, but I met him several years ago at an FCA family retreat.  He's treated me like an old pal every time I've seen him since then.  Teams are hard-nosed and well coached.  He and Coach Mobley did a great job of hiding weaknesses on their respective sides of the ball.  Both of them are all class.  I trust Gravette is going to get a good coach, but they are still going to miss both of those men. 

RZback

Quote from: sockaccount on April 27, 2018, 09:01:01 am
I wish everyone would wait until it was official before posting. we have a whole thread on here dedicated to a coach that didn't leave.

Did Coach not go to Ramay?

bilboswaggins

I wish everyone would wait until it was official before posting. we have a whole thread on here dedicated to a coach that didn't leave.

http://5newsonline.com/2018/04/26/harrelson-steps-down-after-12-seasons-as-gravette-coach/

So who's on the short list?

Da Truff

I would imagine this will be a highly sought after job, might see some surprising names.

whippersnapper

The moderators of this forum have all the power to take down topics when they are false. I had heard about it since Monday that Harrelson was leaving. I waited a couple days until a few more people confirmed it for me. B.G. didnt see a reason to remove the topic since it was accurate.

Gray lizard

I watch this board so I can get information fast.  If you verify it to be true. Please let us know.

beach bum

April 27, 2018, 12:53:24 pm #16 Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:56:00 pm by beach bum

Oh give us a break.... This is a sports discussion forum. And that coach you speak of TOOK THE OTHER JOB AND THEN BAILED. If that coach did not want to be talked about don't take a job making kids think that you will be their coach and use them for leverage in high school football. That coach knew exactly what he was doing. Who cares.... This is a sports discussion board again. Don't apply for jobs or take other jobs if you don't want to be talked about. Also, only people were using this thread to praise coach Harrelson and the great 12 years he gave to Gravette.

Brian G

They introduced him at his new gig last night.

nastynice

May 01, 2018, 04:23:17 pm #18 Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:26:06 pm by nastynice

Eagle boss

Any idea who has applied and when they will start interviews?

Pantherdaddy

whippersnapper

Via Twitter/ Lion Letterman: Doug Greenwood is to be the new head coach for the lions. He comes from Jenks as an assistant the past 5 seasons.

RZback

Oklahoma gonna annex NWA.

prHOG13

Quote from: RZback on June 05, 2018, 06:43:48 pm
Oklahoma gonna annex NWA.
Those coaches will finally be able to make some money

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas