• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Number of Teams per Conference

Started by Ice Water, February 12, 2018, 09:46:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice Water

We spend lots of time on this board talking about things we would do differently if in charge of the AAA for a day. One thing that rarely gets talked about, but plays a major role in the way postseason plays out, is simply the number of teams per conference.  For example, the 1A-5 North has 9 teams. The 1A-1 Northwest and 1A-8 have 5 teams each. When comparing the percentage of teams that advance to region, that's 44% to 80%.

To illustrate how significant this is, Wonderview and Nemo Vista played in a 6v7 game Saturday that ended one's season. The other moved on to play in another elimination game. At the same time, Strong automatically qualified for region by simply finishing with a better record than Hampton and Hermitage.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: Ice Water on February 12, 2018, 09:46:52 am
We spend lots of time on this board talking about things we would do differently if in charge of the AAA for a day. One thing that rarely gets talked about, but plays a major role in the way postseason plays out, is simply the number of teams per conference.  For example, the 1A-5 North has 9 teams. The 1A-1 Northwest and 1A-8 have 5 teams each. When comparing the percentage of teams that advance to region, that's 44% to 80%.

To illustrate how significant this is, Wonderview and Nemo Vista played in a 6v7 game Saturday that ended one's season. The other moved on to play in another elimination game. At the same time, Strong automatically qualified for region by simply finishing with a better record than Hampton and Hermitage.
I can go on and on like sack here for days like the rest of them about how things should be.  It's all about location location location. Strong is automatically qualified for region just like alpena is in another. However you can't tell me we're going complain a team like Wonderview who before that game Saturday was 19-12 and (3-6) in conference play deserved a state title chance. Theirs a reason that 10-20 Nemo Vista was the 6 seed instead over the Wonderview team. I'm a firm believe everyone deserves an equal chance. Region 3 is always a tougher region to play in. But I do remember Wonderview winning the regional tournament in 2015 and getting beat by a team who barely had a winning record in first round of state. You have to keep winning to stay alive.

Ice Water

And let me make clear, I'm not trying to advocate for Nemo Vista, Wonderview, or anyone else. I'm just trying to highlight some of the imbalance in our current post season "structure".

Ba$ketballFan54321

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas