• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Terminology: Free blocking zone vs Tackle box

Started by Coach Jones, October 26, 2017, 10:06:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Jones

October 26, 2017, 10:06:27 am Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:18:46 am by Coach Jones
I have seen a few teams this year using the TE to cut block a defensive lineman.  I understand there is no such thing as the "tackle box", it is defined by distance each way from the center, but if the line isn't foot to foot, the TE should be outside the free blocking zone. 

Just for fun I argued that the TE was outside the FBZ to an official, and he said he was in.  I asked him to go out with a ruler and measure it.  LOL it didn't go over very well.  I'm not sure he thought I was funny.

Free blocking zone 4 yards either side of the ball and 3 yards in front and behind.

I would very much like to see a standard set that the TE could not cut down on a defensive tackle.  It is just too much of an injury threat. 

opinions?

BigR

Agree. NFHS rule committee should make that an illegal block by TE.

We'll see, committee is very slow to act on any rule changes.

Rulesman

By rule (2-17-1), a player with any part of his body in the FBZ at the snap is considered to be in the FBZ. Until that changes, it's merely wishful thinking.

You can submit a request for a rule change through the state office. (Be prepared to fill out a lot of paperwork justifying your rationale. That's what the committee looks at).

And you're right. If an official told you to go out and measure 4 yards you'd be calling the assignor.

High Voltage

Just my opinion but there are too many rules now. Rules are killing football much in the same way it killed NASCAR. I know you have to have them but there are so many and so complicated that the officials don't even know how to enforce them most of the time. Just get back to the basics.

sevenof400

Quote from: High Voltage on October 30, 2017, 09:26:46 am
Just my opinion but there are too many rules now. Rules are killing football much in the same way it killed NASCAR. I know you have to have them but there are so many and so complicated that the officials don't even know how to enforce them most of the time. Just get back to the basics.

Hmmmm.   

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 22, 2017, 08:45:58 am
So to play the role of contrarian for a moment, you are knowledgeable on the rules High Voltage?

Quote from: High Voltage on October 25, 2017, 02:16:28 pm
Yes, very much so.

Verrrrry interesting.   

High Voltage

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 02, 2017, 07:31:42 pm
Hmmmm.   

Verrrrry interesting.   
What's interesting? I know the rules but think the game should be simplified. What's so hard about that?

LAfootball fan

I think blocking below the waist should be eliminated anyway.  Too many injuries that are needless.  Lineman are already at enough risk just getting rolled up during the play.  Offensive lineman pretty much get away with holding on every play anyway so give something back to the defense and take away cut blocks. 

nomorewhining

General rule we always used....... foot to foot, TE can cut
                                                 standard splits(2 feet), TE cant cut

Rulesman

Quote from: nomorewhining on December 04, 2017, 09:39:05 am
General rule we always used....... foot to foot, TE can cut
                                                 standard splits(2 feet), TE cant cut
But only from a 3 or 4 pt stance. Not from a 2 pt stance.

LAfootball fan

Can the right tackle dive down to his left and cut block or block below the  waist on a defender lined head up on the offensive guard to that side?

Rulesman

Quote from: LAfootball fan on December 05, 2017, 08:18:54 pm
Can the right tackle dive down to his left and cut block or block below the  waist on a defender lined head up on the offensive guard to that side?
BBW is permitted from a 3 or 4 pt. stance IF both players are in the FBZ at the snap, the block occurs in the zone, and the ball has not left the zone. If the QB happens to be in a shotgun, chances are (by interpretation) the ball is likely out of the zone, thus the block would be illegal as that component of the rule is not met.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas