• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If!

Started by MSHS FAn, September 26, 2017, 08:02:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MSHS FAn

Even though the buyout is huge, if Bret is fired, who would you all like to see long go after?

Longfellow

RZback

Norvell at Memphis.  Good young coach.  We get him before someone else does, he won't be at Memphis much longer.

beach bum

Quote from: RZback on September 26, 2017, 08:22:44 pm
Norvell at Memphis.  Good young coach.  We get him before someone else does, he won't be at Memphis much longer.

He definitely is landing somewhere in the power 5 for sure.... Possibly here, Ole Miss, Texas A&M or Tennessee even here in the SEC. If one of those schools doesn't get their shoot for the stars candidate he will be right there waiting for them.

RZback

Guy has an impressive resume and from all accounts is a quality individual. I don't think Arkansas can do any better, no big big name is coming so we better get an up and comer who has clearly established himself as a future great.

YC

September 26, 2017, 09:19:03 pm #5 Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:51:37 pm by YC
Quote from: MSHS FAn on September 26, 2017, 08:02:11 pm
Even though the buyout is huge, if Bret is fired, who would you all like to see long go after?

I don't want to see Long go after anyone...That's the whole problem in a nutshell. We don't want Long to hire anyone..IF Long is going to do the hire we might as well keep Bret... Long hired Bret because Bret sent him a love letter.. I've got enough Lou Holtz in me I could make you believe Charleston doesn't have a chance against Paris next Friday night...I could stroke Long's ego a little and he would hire me as the next coach..lol. What would I do with 15 million dollars? lol

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Romeo

Jeff Long has said in the past that he prefers a coach that runs a pro style offense. I'm not sure he'll be willing to get a coach that runs primarily spread.

bigworm

September 26, 2017, 11:10:32 pm #8 Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:21:40 pm by bigworm
Fleck or Norvell ould be fine with me. I think either would do an excellent job.

nastynice

Send Long packing with Bert! Package deal.

High Voltage

John Gruden or Jimmie Johnson! ;D

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Romeo on September 26, 2017, 10:32:28 pm
Jeff Long has said in the past that he prefers a coach that runs a pro style offense. I'm not sure he'll be willing to get a coach that runs primarily spread.

This problem should be taken care of before Bret honestly.

RZback

Quote from: YC on September 26, 2017, 09:19:03 pm
I don't want to see Long go after anyone...That's the whole problem in a nutshell. We don't want Long to hire anyone..IF Long is going to do the hire we might as well keep Bret... Long hired Bret because Bret sent him a love letter.. I've got enough Lou Holtz in me I could make you believe Charleston doesn't have a chance against Paris next Friday night...I could stroke Long's ego a little and he would hire me as the next coach..lol. What would I do with 15 million dollars? lol

If you get the job and have 15 million dollars and don't know what to do with all of it, hire me!  I'll take as much as you like.

Ventman

PJ Fleck from Minnesota.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Ventman on October 08, 2017, 07:47:58 am
PJ Fleck from Minnesota.

+1  My thoughts too!  However, could we handle all the "ROW THE BOAT" rhetoric and all the cliche's he throws around all the time.

CHSTigersFan

The Mad Hatter would be awesome, so would Mike Leach.

nastynice

Quote from: CHSTigersFan on October 17, 2017, 03:25:33 pm
The Mad Hatter would be awesome, so would Mike Leach.

The mad hatter would be a horrible choice. Basically same thing as BB.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Ventman on October 08, 2017, 07:47:58 am
PJ Fleck from Minnesota.

Gus Malzhan.  He'll be eventually.  Why not now?

CHSTigersFan

Quote from: nastynice on October 17, 2017, 07:53:00 pm
The mad hatter would be a horrible choice. Basically same thing as BB.
Being an LSU fan, I'm perfectly ok with that :-D

SackAttack

Quote from: CHSTigersFan on October 24, 2017, 12:47:26 pm
Being an LSU fan, I'm perfectly ok with that :-D
Charlie Strong! The high school coaches in Texas loved him and if we dont start recruiting Texas better it isnt going to matter who we get. Plus he's had two years in Fla. to make some connections there. He'd come in a heartbeat I think

bigworm

Quote from: SackAttack on October 24, 2017, 06:02:55 pm
Charlie Strong! The high school coaches in Texas loved him and if we dont start recruiting Texas better it isnt going to matter who we get. Plus he's had two years in Fla. to make some connections there. He'd come in a heartbeat I think

Call him!! He needs to be here before saturday.

beach bum

I have kept it quiet wondering if anyone else has been pondering the same thing.... But I do believe Charlie Strong will become our coach after the season.

bigworm

Id take marvells defensive coordinator at this point!!! #no hope

bdubyab60

Charlie wouldn't be the worst hire. He just wasn't to good at Texas with all their resources. Other than that a pretty decent resume.

I mean our current coach has beaten him while he was at one of the premier jobs in football

AirWarren

No thanks to Charlie. Les. Fleck. Kiffen.

Send the big check to:
1. Bob stoops(can recruit Texas like no other)
2. Mike leach(knows Texas too)
3. Norvell
4. Frost
5. Blake Anderson

RZback

Strongs problem wasn't Strong, it was major money boosters who didn't want him to begin with and worked from the start to get rid of him.  He was doomed from the beginning.  He has done an excellant job everywhere he has been.  I'm not sure why you think we would hire him now when Long wouldn't hire him before? 
Norvell, Frost, Leach, Strong would all be good choices. 

cuckoobird

Strong did a horrible job at texas

nastynice

I don't want Texas' rejects!  If he couldn't win with all that talent there, what's he gonna do with our 2-3 star players?  No way on Strong!

cuckoobird

Agreed. I would rather keep bert than to hire strong

beach bum

October 25, 2017, 11:33:20 am #29 Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:42:06 am by beach bum
I am not saying Strong is who I want.... I just think that is who will end up here. The only place he has failed was Texas. He has been successful everywhere else essentially. I like his no nonsense approach too and his character. Players would respect him as a person and authority unlike the current coach. You could see how it destroyed his players at Texas that he was fired. I hope he at least gets another chance at a power 5 school again. And I like all of AW's list. That is a good one. Who knows maybe Bob gets bored and just wants a job somewhere. I like Bob Stoops the more I have heard him talk. He has life figured out and treats people right coming from the Spurrier coaching tree.... I doubt he coaches again anywhere. But again AW has a good overall list above.

bleudog

bigworm

Leach isnt a good choice in my opinion. I hear his name thrown around alot. I just dont think hes the guy we want.

DerekOxford

My list of candidates in order from most likely to be hired to least likely. Keep in mind, if Long is still the one making the hire, he keeps things extremely close to the vest.

As follows:

Mike Norvell (seems like best fit)
Chad Morris (probably waiting on A&M to open)
Matt Wells (may be looking at a move to P5, ties to area)
Justin Fuente (ties to area, just a winner)
Matt Campbell (hottest name in coaching circles)
Jeff Brohm (Petrino disciple)
Lane Kiffin (would take job if offered, too much baggage for Long most likely)
Scott Frost (likely gets hired by Nebraska)

Wild cards: Les Miles, Tommy Tuberville, Dave Wannstedt

Pipe dreams: Mike Leach, Gus Malzahn, Charlie Strong, Gary Patterson, Chris Petersen, Chip Kelly, Jon Gruden, and have to say it, Bobby Petrino.

RZback

WE don't need Kiffin.  It would be a big news day and then the bad stuff would start.  Strong, would be good if supported.  He had no support in TEXAS, they were after his job from day one.  Hard to be successfuls with that.  I still like Frost and Norvell and Leach.  Anyone see the Memphis comeback in 4th quarter last week.  We can't do that!

cuckoobird

Quote from: RZback on October 27, 2017, 11:49:36 am
WE don't need Kiffin.  It would be a big news day and then the bad stuff would start.  Strong, would be good if supported.  He had no support in TEXAS, they were after his job from day one.  Hard to be successfuls with that.  I still like Frost and Norvell and Leach.  Anyone see the Memphis comeback in 4th quarter last week.  We can't do that!
Strong and kiffen should never be considered imho

RZback

You are correct that Strong had a horrible go at TX, but the rest of his record is pretty good.  I'd take him over what we have tomorrow. 

cuckoobird

October 27, 2017, 12:11:31 pm #36 Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:26:06 pm by cuckoobird
Quote from: RZback on October 27, 2017, 12:05:43 pm
You are correct that Strong had a horrible go at TX, but the rest of his record is pretty good.  I'd take him over what we have tomorrow.
Would I exchange him for bert? yes, but I wouldn't offer him a new contract with shiny buyouts expecting him to right the ship.

RZback

yes, unfortunately you would have too.  Seems to be the way of world today.  HIre a coach, pay him a bunch, then agree to pay him a bunch more to fire him if he can't achieve his goal of winning.  Crazy.

DerekOxford

October 27, 2017, 11:59:02 pm #38 Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:05:28 pm by DerekOxford
Okay, so maybe Gus isn't a pipe dream.

wildcat_x-mgr

Arkansas head coach Lane Kiffen... Now THAT would be a sight to see! I'm grinning just thinking about it!

bigworm

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on October 28, 2017, 12:03:28 am
Arkansas head coach Lane Kiffen... Now THAT would be a sight to see! I'm grinning just thinking about it!

I almost puke when i rhink about it. Hes terrible

nastynice

Me too. He wouldn't even be in my top 25.

wildcat_x-mgr

That's the part that's making me grin! :D

RZback

If, If, If.   The bright side of Long not firing him.  Next year Long will be on the chopping block with him.

thebigshot

Get real people, just shows most of y'all really need to get drug tested with some of the answers y'all are providing. Brent Venables would be a good choice to go after, new blood, defensive mind coach. I could be smoking meth like the rest of y'all but why not Venables?

beach bum

Quote from: thebigshot on November 05, 2017, 08:48:32 am
Get real people, just shows most of y'all really need to get drug tested with some of the answers y'all are providing. Brent Venables would be a good choice to go after, new blood, defensive mind coach. I could be smoking meth like the rest of y'all but why not Venables?

Because he will get a better job than here.... All that jabber you just made sounds like a Freudian slip maybe ratting yourself out?

RZback

Well, unfortunately all the discussion means nothing unless our AD sends him packing.  From what I hear its a toss up at best if left up to Long.

Jacketman65

I know that he is not very well liked, but what about Lane Kiffin?

bigworm

Quote from: Jacketman65 on November 06, 2017, 02:00:44 pm
I know that he is not very well liked, but what about Lane Kiffin?

I would leave the state if they hired that retard.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bigworm on November 06, 2017, 05:50:28 pm
I would leave the state if they hired that retard.

Gonna screenshot this just in case ya know 8)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas