• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Valley Springs boys

Started by Old Eagle, June 01, 2017, 08:43:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Eagle

Good bye! Cheap t-shirts available now!

Googlymoogly

BigLion10

Send em to overseas with the falcons Super Bowl shirts

redvino8

Who is likely to take Taylor's place?

ballmember

will be lucky to find one as good as him.   coaching not important much anymore just be sure and not made certain folks mad.  see it happen at more than one school this year.   

bdog32

Quote from: ballmember on June 02, 2017, 12:03:19 pm
will be lucky to find one as good as him.   coaching not important much anymore just be sure and not made certain folks mad.  see it happen at more than one school this year.   
+11111111

RedWolf275

Quote from: ballmember on June 02, 2017, 12:03:19 pm

They wont

basketballjones

Any front runners for this position?

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: basketballjones on June 06, 2017, 08:25:23 pm
Any front runners for this position?

Isn't the whole town a bunch of front runners?

Eagle Power

If I had to assume possibilities: Dodson, Manes, Hargrove, Williams, with Drenen and Yochum being long shots to apply. Just my thoughts and nothing supporting but would not be surprised if it isn't one of the above.

bobcats

bdog32

Gonna have to be someone that's a Yes man.  I don't see the admin going for anyone that wants to win as bad as Taylor did.  So that takes a few of those names off the lost.  And Valley doesn't pay well. 

ZoneBuster

They need to go get Manes if he'll take it. Could be there for a really long successful time.

we_hate_the_band

The super will screw it up, just wait. She will hire somebody who can teach math and enjoys basketball as a hobby. Shoot I wouldn't put it past her trying to get Jerry Thomason.

theflash10

Quote from: Eagle Power on June 07, 2017, 09:50:04 am
If I had to assume possibilities: Dodson, Manes, Hargrove, Williams, with Drenen and Yochum being long shots to apply. Just my thoughts and nothing supporting but would not be surprised if it isn't one of the above.
I don't think any of these would really want to move into this job. Especially facing the circumstances in how Taylor left. Yocham would be taking a pay cut and he only coaches one team in Springdale, I'm sure it'd be a pay cut for Manes also and he's got a solid gig in Harrison. When you mentioned Hargrove is that dad or son?

Boone

Quote from: Eagle Power on June 07, 2017, 09:50:04 am

any of those would be a good hire.  I doubt any of them though would want any part of that train wreck.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: theflash10 on June 07, 2017, 11:31:21 pm
I don't think any of these would really want to move into this job. Especially facing the circumstances in how Taylor left. Yocham would be taking a pay cut and he only coaches one team in Springdale, I'm sure it'd be a pay cut for Manes also and he's got a solid gig in Harrison. When you mentioned Hargrove is that dad or son?

Is manes formerly HC @ Western Grove?

theflash10

Moonshiner

So who's going to get this job? 

HawgDaddy

Quote from: theflash10 on June 07, 2017, 11:31:21 pm

Valley has good talent, but sketchy admin.  Small schools aren't nearly as attractive as they used to be. Who wants to coach 3rd thru 12th grade with no assistant for minimal pay and unreasonable expectations?

Head Lion

Quote from: HawgDaddy on June 14, 2017, 11:10:15 am
Valley has good talent, but sketchy admin.  Small schools aren't nearly as attractive as they used to be. Who wants to coach 3rd thru 12th grade with no assistant for minimal pay and unreasonable expectations?
Their talent is good compared to what, their conference, their schedule or statewide?

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: Head Lion on June 14, 2017, 11:15:47 am
Their talent is good compared to what, their conference, their schedule or statewide?
they should never be worse than 2nd in their conference and top 4 in the region.

Head Lion

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on June 14, 2017, 07:31:31 pm
they should never be worse than 2nd in their conference and top 4 in the region.
I agree considering they make no real attempt to compete at any other sport. They have some players with developed skill, Coach Taylor was good at that. As far as talent, they are not particularly quick on the perimeter & most are in bad need of a REAL SOLID weight program. Good school with good kids, I just don't see the talent it takes to be contender against top programs in 3A.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: Head Lion on June 14, 2017, 09:07:41 pm
I agree considering they make no real attempt to compete at any other sport. They have some players with developed skill, Coach Taylor was good at that. As far as talent, they are not particularly quick on the perimeter & most are in bad need of a REAL SOLID weight program. Good school with good kids, I just don't see the talent it takes to be contender against top programs in 3A.

3A is so up and down depending on the stars that are in the classification. There have been years where there are legit D1 players in 3A and others where the best players would struggle to get time at a D2 level.

VS isn't going to win with great athletes but with fundamental basketball. They won't compete with the years of D1 athletes, but in the "down" years they definitely can make a run. See 2009, that team wasn't very impressive, but caught 3A on a down year and made a run. They were also very good at making games ugly and winning those type of odd games.

They seem to always be able to compete. The right coach that can develop players and keep good ones in the program can have success.

theflash10

Quote from: ZoneBuster on June 15, 2017, 08:32:24 pm
3A is so up and down depending on the stars that are in the classification. There have been years where there are legit D1 players in 3A and others where the best players would struggle to get time at a D2 level.

VS isn't going to win with great athletes but with fundamental basketball. They won't compete with the years of D1 athletes, but in the "down" years they definitely can make a run. See 2009, that team wasn't very impressive, but caught 3A on a down year and made a run. They were also very good at making games ugly and winning those type of odd games.

They seem to always be able to compete. The right coach that can develop players and keep good ones in the program can have success.
That 09 group was scrappy, with the sophomores Wayman and Yates which later one went to Tech and one to Harding later to play. Those two players are examples that is common around here of coahches making players play into a system rather than developing players. If Wayman and Yates would have looser reigns on them they could've done some damage their senior year. But the coach then wanted the game in the 30s. It showcased their defensive abilities but Yates was one of the smartest players I've ever seen and Wayman was a tough matchup. 3A was deadly all across the state in 11 though, as was several other classifications.

Ice Water

I really don't understand the hate ole Coach McElroy gets on here sometimes. If I remember right, that 11 team had two returning contributors, zero perimeter shooters, no bench, and reached the state semis for the third straight year.

bobcats

Valley may be wishing they had Coach McElroy back at some point.  They haven't been to the semis in a while.  They do have talent returning plus had a good junior high team last year.  They should be fine for the next 3 years with the Jenkins kid.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: theflash10 on June 15, 2017, 11:08:44 pm
That 09 group was scrappy, with the sophomores Wayman and Yates which later one went to Tech and one to Harding later to play. Those two players are examples that is common around here of coahches making players play into a system rather than developing players. If Wayman and Yates would have looser reigns on them they could've done some damage their senior year. But the coach then wanted the game in the 30s. It showcased their defensive abilities but Yates was one of the smartest players I've ever seen and Wayman was a tough matchup. 3A was deadly all across the state in 11 though, as was several other classifications.

2010 was the year they really blew their chance when they got Pascoe and Lynch from Bergman. Played scared to death of Earle, though and got beat in semis.

theflash10

Quote from: ZoneBuster on June 16, 2017, 04:03:58 pm
2010 was the year they really blew their chance when they got Pascoe and Lynch from Bergman. Played scared to death of Earle, though and got beat in semis.
That 2010 group could shoot the lights out and had great ball handlers. McElroy took care of business and got results. His teams bought in to the system every year. I just think they could've been even better a couple years with a little more freedom.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: theflash10 on June 16, 2017, 10:49:49 pm
That 2010 group could shoot the lights out and had great ball handlers. McElroy took care of business and got results. His teams bought in to the system every year. I just think they could've been even better a couple years with a little more freedom.

Agreed. Or honestly even if he didn't give them a ton of freedom, just play a more difficult non conference schedule to prepare them for the athletes they'd see in state. He was notorious for scheduling 1A teams when he could challenge them with 4A+ competition to prepare them for state.

biglion1985

In Valley's defense that 2010 Earle bulldogs squad they was a team trust me we know because we played them in hot springs and they took us to the woodshed

ZoneBuster

Quote from: biglion1985 on June 17, 2017, 05:45:06 pm
In Valley's defense that 2010 Earle bulldogs squad they was a team trust me we know because we played them in hot springs and they took us to the woodshed

Oh they were good no doubt. But Valley missed a several shots in the lane that could've been a big difference IIRC. I also think they could've been more prepared for the athletes had they prepared for them in Non conference.

Moonshiner

Quote from: ZoneBuster on June 18, 2017, 10:24:53 am
Oh they were good no doubt. But Valley missed a several shots in the lane that could've been a big difference IIRC. I also think they could've been more prepared for the athletes had they prepared for them in Non conference.

Hard to prepare for Earle no matter who you play in non conference.  I do agree that a tougher non conference schedule is needed to consistently compete at the state level.  There's only so much that they can do though.  Those types of teams don't exist in north central Arkansas.  Playing someone like that at Christmas or on a weekend is about the only option because of travel.  I remember him playing some pretty tough folks at times.

Bigtimebasketballfan

Back on subject. Any candidates emerged for this one yet?

theflash10

Quote from: Bigtimebasketballfan on June 18, 2017, 12:02:25 pm
Back on subject. Any candidates emerged for this one yet?
I have heard that Manes has his name in. 

bdog32

I heard they hired the coach from Salem.   Don't know his name

theflash10

Quote from: bdog32 on June 18, 2017, 01:13:24 pm
I heard they hired the coach from Salem.   Don't know his name
Blake Hanney? That'd be a good hire, he played at NAC.

epotts

I heard they were hiring on Monday. This came from a very reliable source that was in the loop on the decision.

theflash10

Quote from: epotts on June 18, 2017, 03:22:55 pm
I heard they were hiring on Monday. This came from a very reliable source that was in the loop on the decision.
That's what I heard on the Manes part, should know tomorrow.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: theflash10 on June 18, 2017, 02:37:22 pm
Blake Hanney? That'd be a good hire, he played at NAC.

6-18 will land you the head job at one of the premier basketball jobs in Arkansas? That's all you need to know about the people running the show.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on June 18, 2017, 07:07:37 pm
6-18 will land you the head job at one of the premier basketball jobs in Arkansas? That's all you need to know about the people running the show.
Has he coached anywhere before Salem, or are we just going off what he did in one year of coaching?

theflash10

June 18, 2017, 07:56:50 pm #41 Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:02:50 pm by theflash10
Quote from: Basketballfan13 on June 18, 2017, 07:13:06 pm
Has he coached anywhere before Salem, or are we just going off what he did in one year of coaching?
I don't think he had much to work with talent wise there. I saw some of the piece he added to the program at Salem to create buy in and the kind of person he is from afar. I think he do some good things and knows the game. But I believe he has only had one other job for a year or two. So maybe 3 years total experience.

we_hate_the_band

I can't wait to watch this implode. Valley is about to find out how good they had it.

Basketball_101

I was able to watch him a few games this year. I think he'll do a good job, personally. High energy guy that knows the game. His Jr. Boys were fun to watch this year, On the other hand he didn't have much to work with in sr high. From what I saw he likes to play fast and LOVES to shoot the 3. You could tell he really cared for all of his players. If this speculation is true, I think it would be a good fit.

Greyhound#1

He told his kids on Friday that his was leaving Salem for valley springs

PapaHog

Your record doesn't define your coaching ability. Anybody that knows the game and understands coaching knows that. I've seen some lousy coaches have great records because of talent. I've seen some great coaches with losing records because of lack of talent. Use your brain just a little. It's high school basketball.

Greyhound#1

June 19, 2017, 08:39:17 am #46 Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:29:23 am by Greyhound#1
-

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: Basketball_101 on June 18, 2017, 09:39:02 pm
I was able to watch him a few games this year. I think he'll do a good job, personally. High energy guy that knows the game. His Jr. Boys were fun to watch this year, On the other hand he didn't have much to work with in sr high. From what I saw he likes to play fast and LOVES to shoot the 3. You could tell he really cared for all of his players. If this speculation is true, I think it would be a good fit.

Hey man you aren't interviewing with us prove it on the court.

Head Lion

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on June 18, 2017, 09:03:03 pm
I can't wait to watch this implode. Valley is about to find out how good they had it.
Valley better get John Calipari & recruit some players, because Osceola is LOADED for awhile and Manila & Rivercrest aint going to be to shabby.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Head Lion on June 19, 2017, 04:50:32 pm
Valley better get John Calipari & recruit some players, because Osceola is LOADED for awhile and Manila & Rivercrest aint going to be to shabby.

How far did Manila go last year?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas