• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State: No Players from Arkansas

Started by Grond, December 20, 2015, 10:08:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolves8526

ASU offered both scholarships. With Ross, we just flat got out recruited by Lehigh. Their coaches recruited him hard and were at every big game, while Brady and/or his assistants were no where in sight.

As for Pointer, Clemson had an assistant coach that he made a good relationship with. He heavily recruited him as a junior and when he went to CofC, so did Pointer. As for ASU recruiting him, they were late to the party. By the time they started showing interest, I think he had his mind made up.

In my opinion, when one of the best teams in the state year in and year out is in your back yard and there is young talent, a D1 coach should be all over it from the time they started showing D-1 potential. In this case, ASU did not.

Ctucker

dc24 do you no for a fact that reaves does not have the grades. Wichita state watched him Tuesday and a guy on 3a board said he was going on a visit there this weekend.

dc24

Quote from: Ctucker on January 14, 2016, 10:30:54 pm
dc24 do you no for a fact that reaves does not have the grades. Wichita state watched him Tuesday and a guy on 3a board said he was going on a visit there this weekend.

Don't know for a fact, but that's what the word here around Jonesboro is.  I hear we are on him and recruiting him, so I'm sure other teams are recruiting him too.  Wichita State certainly knows talent.

WPWells

I saw someone else post that Reaves has a 32 ACT...

Ctucker

I have no ideal what his scores are that's why I don't post about them.But I really don't think Wichita State would bring him in for a official visit this late if he didn't have the scores they would probably try to sway him to go to the junior college they like to get kids out of.

MA

Quote from: dc24 on January 11, 2016, 11:44:04 pm
Quote from: ricepig on January 11, 2016, 05:13:05 pm
13 D-I scholarships for men, 15 for women.

That's correct, I'm getting confused with our low number, haha.  But still point applies, can't afford to take as many chances.  Also to an earlier point, we had a player from Memphis too, but he was kicked off the team before season started and we still have two on the team from Memphis.

We are also on the Reaves kid from what I've heard, but kid doesn't have the grades and we don't know if he will be eligible.  We also have a signee from Benton.

I guess that's the thing about looking from the outside in, people assume it's easy to recruit and get all the players you want and that just isn't the case.  I'm not big on signing more JUCO's than high school kids, but sometimes it's the way to go as they are usually quicker contributors.  That's just my opinion though, doesn't make it right.  You need a good blend, unless you can get top flight high school talent, which most mid-major type programs just can't do.

Two of the four kids on Little Rock's roster from Arkansas transferred back into the state.  Jackson played at UCA, then went JUCO then LR and Watkins went JUCO then Florida State then to Little Rock so LR wasn't their first choice.

No I don't think we've been as good at men's basketball as we would have liked to have been, for a while now, even before Brady, but it has nothing to do with not signing enough in-state kids.

Most of post wasn't directed at you ricepig, just had some more thoughts to add.

Reaves has over a 3.0 GPA. Well over

ricepig

Quote from: MA on January 15, 2016, 03:33:19 pm

That's correct, I'm getting confused with our low number, haha.  But still point applies, can't afford to take as many chances.  Also to an earlier point, we had a player from Memphis too, but he was kicked off the team before season started and we still have two on the team from Memphis.

We are also on the Reaves kid from what I've heard, but kid doesn't have the grades and we don't know if he will be eligible.  We also have a signee from Benton.

I guess that's the thing about looking from the outside in, people assume it's easy to recruit and get all the players you want and that just isn't the case.  I'm not big on signing more JUCO's than high school kids, but sometimes it's the way to go as they are usually quicker contributors.  That's just my opinion though, doesn't make it right.  You need a good blend, unless you can get top flight high school talent, which most mid-major type programs just can't do.

Two of the four kids on Little Rock's roster from Arkansas transferred back into the state.  Jackson played at UCA, then went JUCO then LR and Watkins went JUCO then Florida State then to Little Rock so LR wasn't their first choice.

No I don't think we've been as good at men's basketball as we would have liked to have been, for a while now, even before Brady, but it has nothing to do with not signing enough in-state kids.

Most of post wasn't directed at you ricepig, just had some more thoughts to add.

So, he's academically eligible for D-I?

MA

Quote from: Fred Bird on January 15, 2016, 11:51:11 am
I saw someone else post that Reaves has a 32 ACT...

lol does not have a 32 ACT.

MA

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2016, 03:34:11 pm

He has just recently taken the ACT. waiting for results. There are a bunch of new rules with the eligibility stuff. Its a sliding scale. with a 3.3 GPA like Reaves has his ACT wont have to be super high. probably a 17-18 to be eligible by NCAA standards. But some schools have higher standards. Its a really fluid situation. different from kid to kid and school to school

ricepig

Quote from: MA on January 15, 2016, 03:38:33 pm
Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2016, 03:34:11 pm

He has just recently taken the ACT. waiting for results. There are a bunch of new rules with the eligibility stuff. Its a sliding scale. with a 3.3 GPA like Reaves has his ACT wont have to be super high. probably a 17-18 to be eligible by NCAA standards. But some schools have higher standards. Its a really fluid situation. different from kid to kid and school to school

Oh, I understand the sliding scale, and starting with this class, the kids had to have 16 credits in core courses. Anyway, good luck to him.

Ctucker

MA I got a few days of next week do u know Ceader Ridges schedule. I would like to catch a game have not seen them this year yet.

dc24

I think that may be the issue then, if he's just now taking the ACT.  We probably didn't want to sign him in the early signing period without knowing whether or not he'd be eligible.  There's also no guarantee that he will want to come play for us anyway with a new coach and if Wichita State is calling.

Ctucker

Austin Reaves committed to Wichita state today!

Missco

Still sucks that ASU didn't recruit the kid.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 07:59:06 pm
Still sucks that ASU didn't recruit the kid.

Imagine the local crowed he would have pulled in at the Convo!!!😁😁😁
I would have went and watched him play🏀⚡️🏀

Bulldog92

UAM does the same thing down here in South Arkansas. Last year an all state guard gets no recruiting from them and signs with SAU. She is getting to play 17-20 min a game and we got to see her play this past Monday at UAM, SAU won!!  Being an UAM alum it killed me to cheer for SAU!!! Four years ago the CottonBlossoms let two all state guards leave the state to play at conference foe Delta State, one was from Monticello and the other was from Star City. 

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Bulldog92 on January 20, 2016, 08:39:12 pm
UAM does the same thing down here in South Arkansas. Last year an all state guard gets no recruiting from them and signs with SAU. She is getting to play 17-20 min a game and we got to see her play this past Monday at UAM, SAU won!!  Being an UAM alum it killed me to cheer for SAU!!! Four years ago the CottonBlossoms let two all state guards leave the state to play at conference foe Delta State, one was from Monticello and the other was from Star City.

Just makes 0 sense. 😁😁😁😁

Missco

ASU is my school and team 100% but the basketball program has seen better days. The crowds are pathetic compared to 25 years ago or even 15 years ago. They don't have to recruit local just to recruit local  but really. The kid is legit D-1. The same goes for the Jonesboro kids that ASU dropped the ball on.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 09:00:39 pm
ASU is my school and team 100% but the basketball program has seen better days. The crowds are pathetic compared to 25 years ago or even 15 years ago. They don't have to recruit local just to recruit local  but really. The kid is legit D-1. The same goes for the Jonesboro kids that ASU dropped the ball on.

This is true!!!
But ASU does not promote Basketball like it does Football either!!!
Reaves would have been a good one to help build a Monster basketball program around!!

Missco

The sad thing is ASU had a solid program in the 90.s. Dickie did OK except at the end. Brady has killed the program and the AD hasn't helped the basketball program one bit. It's like he cares nothing about basketball which is sad.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 09:18:01 pm
The sad thing is ASU had a solid program in the 90.s. Dickie did OK except at the end. Brady has killed the program and the AD hasn't helped the basketball program one bit. It's like he cares nothing about basketball which is sad.

Ranks up there with Softball I believe, did you know ASU had a softball team?? , but not sponsored by ASU??

Kinda like a stepchild of a stepchild

Missco

Lol, yes I did. Yeah that's probably a dumber. AD has been pretty good for football but that's it. It makes no sense at all.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 09:27:52 pm
Lol, yes I did. Yeah that's probably a dumber. AD has been pretty good for football but that's it. It makes no sense at all.

Wonder how much more is put into advertising football ,compared to Basketball .....80% to 20% or 90-10???

Missco

90-10. My main gripe is they make zero effort toward building the basketball program. Brady lost control a long time ago.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 09:44:55 pm
90-10. My main gripe is they make zero effort toward building the basketball program. Brady lost control a long time ago.

Not going after Reaves , actually both Reaves says a lot about our lack of program to me.
Boyer has built a very nice program, with some in state talent!!!

Missco

I agree. No doubt. Boyer is doing a lot better recruiting in state talent. It took him a while to get that way though. It's obvious Brady doesn't care. I think that he would rather recruit punks that are prone to off court troubles.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 09:53:32 pm
I agree. No doubt. Boyer is doing a lot better recruiting in state talent. It took him a while to get that way though. It's obvious Brady doesn't care. I think that he would rather recruit punks that are prone to off court troubles.

I remember a little blond from Pokey called Hagood I believe was her name, nice pull-up jumper in the lane, lol , now Boyer has a heck of a team!!
Unfortunately I believe your correct or it seems that way about Brady. Lots of trouble with his recruites.
I hope the next coach can turn it around

Missco

NEA Razorback olfan

Lol had to look it up , Julie played from 1997-2000
Boyer was hired 1999-2000 , after coach Mittie

Missco

I thought that. I knew Mittie recruited her. She was a player. I loved watching her dad tricky Ricky coach.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 10:43:58 pm
I thought that. I knew Mittie recruited her. She was a player. I loved watching her dad tricky Ricky coach.

Heck of a coach , he had some salty teams!!
We have one from pokey coaching our girls team, Coach Joe Baltz!!

Missco

He coached in the town I grèw up in for a few years. Great guy and coach. She could flat out play.

coachscoggins

I can only speak for our family but my son Jake Scoggins had several offers from other mid majors and interest from several major programs and once he visited ASU and talked to the AD and HC he decided that ASU was definitely where he wanted to attend. The fact the ASU is one of only 2 schools in the Sunbelt to offer COA was a huge selling point and advantage the school has over most other mid major programs.

Grond

Quote from: coachscoggins on January 28, 2016, 01:24:25 pm
I can only speak for our family but my son Jake Scoggins had several offers from other mid majors and interest from several major programs and once he visited ASU and talked to the AD and HC he decided that ASU was definitely where he wanted to attend. The fact the ASU is one of only 2 schools in the Sunbelt to offer COA was a huge selling point and advantage the school has over most other mid major programs.

For those of us from northeast Arkansas, we greatly appreciate Jake making the choice to attend ASU. A-State is a good university, but make sure he doesn't get addicted to the coffee from The Edge. ( ;D ;D ;D)

ARmaxpreps

ANY AAU COACHES LOOKING FOR A HIGH MAJOR D-I prospect for their team Hus name is James Yancy 5'10 5'11 CG

chiefsfan

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 09:18:01 pm

Mohajir cares about basketball, it's just that absolutely zero major school donors give two licks about the program.  There was a lot of talk about getting rid of Brady last year, but not a single person came forward to put up the roughly 1 million we needed to buy out Brady, and buy in to a new coach.

I will admit, there are concerns up here that Mohajir is too much football first, however if you get down to the real numbers, you see that he supports winning teams.  The two programs we have that are not winning right now are Soccer and Men's basketball.  Neither program is getting any attention paid to it.  The hope is that despite these issues, TM's track record of coach hires has been outstanding virtually across the board, and if he can bring in the right coach, the team will inevitably return to its winning ways.

Still, Asking a program with a limited budget as it is to throw money a men's basketball program that no one even recognizes as playing anymore, when you have a football program growing in national prominence every day, coming off its 5th bowl and 4th conference title in 5 years is a big ask.  This is not the SEC, we don't have millions of dollars lying around to throw at things.  If a sport does well, they'll get money, if they don't, well, you see what's happened to men's basketball.

chiefsfan

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on January 20, 2016, 09:23:51 pm
Ranks up there with Softball I believe, did you know ASU had a softball team?? , but not sponsored by ASU??

Kinda like a stepchild of a stepchild

You obviously have no idea about why Arkansas State doesn't start softball.

Take a look at the current Sun Belt Conference in Softball.  It contains two Top 20 programs in ULL (Perennial College World Series Participant) and South Alabama (Perennial Regional participant)  Both programs have amazing facilities, sell out nearly every game, and stockpile talent that keeps them winning every year.  Trying to start a softball program, while building the facilities needed to compete with two top 20 teams on a regular basis is extremely difficult.  We'd be a mess for our first several years of existence, lose a whole lot of games, and have teams that may struggle to be competitive.  It would take probably 4-5 million dollars to kick start a softball program here

We decided recently that we were not going to start a sport just to satisfy the whims of a few people in NEA.  If we were going to start a sport, we were going to start a winning team.    Right now, starting softball in the Sun Belt is not an idea conducive to being competitive.

The club softball program was started recently, and yes, it's possible if that team has success and manages to attract interest from fans, that a scholarship program could follow, but right now we have too much money tied up into other ventures to try and figure out how to build a SBC caliber softball stadium on campus and make it work.  Honestly, if Title IX makes us start another Women's sport, it might happen, but even then there are other options out there that are far less expensive.

AllStarSportsFan

NEA Razorback olfan

Grond

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 18, 2016, 11:06:42 pm
Mohajir cares about basketball, it's just that absolutely zero major school donors give two licks about the program.  There was a lot of talk about getting rid of Brady last year, but not a single person came forward to put up the roughly 1 million we needed to buy out Brady, and buy in to a new coach.

I will admit, there are concerns up here that Mohajir is too much football first, however if you get down to the real numbers, you see that he supports winning teams.  The two programs we have that are not winning right now are Soccer and Men's basketball.  Neither program is getting any attention paid to it.  The hope is that despite these issues, TM's track record of coach hires has been outstanding virtually across the board, and if he can bring in the right coach, the team will inevitably return to its winning ways.

Still, Asking a program with a limited budget as it is to throw money a men's basketball program that no one even recognizes as playing anymore, when you have a football program growing in national prominence every day, coming off its 5th bowl and 4th conference title in 5 years is a big ask.  This is not the SEC, we don't have millions of dollars lying around to throw at things.  If a sport does well, they'll get money, if they don't, well, you see what's happened to men's basketball.

What about ASU rugby? They have done well, but haven't received the funds.

The reason for a college sports program is not winning. It is to educate students, and help bring in students. In fact, having a baseball program and NOT having a softball program might be an NCAA violation (Title 9).

I have wondered if ASU should follow the method of UALR, with much more balance between high school signees and community college guys.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Grond on February 28, 2016, 03:26:55 pm
What about ASU rugby? They have done well, but haven't received the funds.

The reason for a college sports program is not winning. It is to educate students, and help bring in students. In fact, having a baseball program and NOT having a softball program might be an NCAA violation (Title 9).

I have wondered if ASU should follow the method of UALR, with much more balance between high school signees and community college guys.

Rugby is not an NCAA sanctioned sport.

RedWolves

Basically, Brady was the problem. He hasn't been signing high school players, as he said he would. Hopefully, things will change soon.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas