• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Arkansas State Red Wolves

Started by True Believer, January 22, 2014, 06:37:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacketman65

Great win in OT, Congrats to the red Wolves!

Jacketman65

September 20, 2014, 10:11:20 pm #51 Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:16:56 pm by Jacketman65
Keep up the good work

True Believer

Go Red Wolves.  A sea of red in the stands! 

Howl yes!

birdman16

Quote from: True Believer on September 20, 2014, 06:02:33 pm
Quote from: birdman16 on September 20, 2014, 07:24:18 am
Yeah they can put it on there as long as they BUY it. It can't be given to them that is considered an improper benefit because they receive something with monetary value. All helmets have to match so they would all have to buy one to put on there. I think it's pretty much a done deal that they are not going back on the helmets. You don't want that potential controversy to mess with the team no matter what the cause could be.

LOL....whatever.   It's a done deal that they are on the helmets. 

Proud of my University and the Red Wolves!

So if you watched the game and looked closely you would notice that the crosses are not on the helmets....red or black. There is a horizontal bar with the initials but no cross. If you want to wait two weeks till the next game to give them time to put it back on you can check back when they play Monroe.

True Believer

The point is and was the University said they could. And the ASU stands were a sea of red with the crosses.  We  made our point.  I love the red helmets by the way. 

You sound like a hater.  Conway would never support their team like the Jonesboro community did.   

Move along.  No time for you. 

birdman16

What makes you so sure that I'm a Central Arkansas fan or still one for that matter? Yes it is my alma mater and I hope they do good but there are other priorities now and I don't really care what they do in the grand scheme.  As far as me being a hater, you really don't have a clue.  I'm now at Arkansas State because I'm starting graduate school in January.  My source about the helmets is a pretty good one, so you may not know as much as you think you do.

I can see the community of Jonesboro is going to be so welcoming if you are any indication of it.

Jacketman65

Quote from: birdman16 on September 22, 2014, 12:05:08 am
What makes you so sure that I'm a Central Arkansas fan or still one for that matter? Yes it is my alma mater and I hope they do good but there are other priorities now and I don't really care what they do in the grand scheme.  As far as me being a hater, you really don't have a clue.  I'm now at Arkansas State because I'm starting graduate school in January.  My source about the helmets is a pretty good one, so you may not know as much as you think you do.

I can see the community of Jonesboro is going to be so welcoming if you are any indication of it.
Careful bird, others may know a little more! Son's - players, coaches wives etc...  being a student may not carry as much water so to speak!

birdman16

September 22, 2014, 11:45:55 pm #57 Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:51:00 pm by birdman16
Quote from: Jacketman65 on September 22, 2014, 11:35:18 pm
Quote from: birdman16 on September 22, 2014, 12:05:08 am

Careful bird, others may know a little more! Son's - players, coaches wives etc...  being a student may not carry as much water so to speak!

I know more than the ones that post on here, I can promise you that.  An insider to the program may know more?  Is that what you are saying...DUH what do you think my source is.

True Believer

Homecoming Week!!     Game is at 6 pm again.  Weather is going to be perfect. 

Here's to the Howlin' Red Wolves!!! 

True Believer

Wolves over ULM 28 - 14

Beautiful day for football!  Didn't go but drove by and lots of tailgating going on!

dc24

A-State with a big 52-10 win over Georgia State today.  GSU lost at Louisiana-Lafayette last week 34-31 after leading most of the game so I was expecting it to be closer.  It's so good to have Michael Gordon back.

bleudog

October 21, 2014, 08:03:57 pm #61 Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:06:25 pm by bleudog
ASU @ U La La is on ESPN2. Red Wolves down 20-9 early in the second.

Hoghead

I see they broke out the crying dog logo on the helmets for ASU tonight.

dc24

Couldn't stop the run.  Don't know what happened there.  Not even Miami with their two-headed running back monster did that against us.  ULL was huge though, but we overcame a bad call on a fumble and some coaching decisions to keep it close.  Proud of the effort.  It'll show alot how we bounce back and play Idaho in two Saturdays.

Jacketman65

OMG! Where are the ASU folks?  I have never been so discusted in a coaches performance than I was tonight.  Where did Blake Anderson come from?  Had to be some peewee team!  Have never seen a coach -HS,JHS,Peewee, much less college go for it on 4th down from YOUR OWN 6 YARD LINE and then run a throw back pass! :o :o :o  I will say it STUPID!  Then we score, down by 9 and GO FOR 2!  What are you thinking?  At this point I feel sorry for the players because it obvious that Anderson is over his head!  Hopefully ASU has a FIRE YOU clause in his contract to go with the buy out as well as with the AD that hired this  clown!  Worst part is that he will get away with it at ASU, but nowhere else in the country.  The man would have been fired tonight!  Keep this clown and when these seniors are gone,  back to medoricatry!

dc24

Quote from: Jacketman65 on October 21, 2014, 11:50:31 pm
OMG! Where are the ASU folks?  I have never been so discusted in a coaches performance than I was tonight.  Where did Blake Anderson come from?  Had to be some peewee team!  Have never seen a coach -HS,JHS,Peewee, much less college go for it on 4th down from YOUR OWN 6 YARD LINE and then run a throw back pass! :o :o :o  I will say it STUPID!  Then we score, down by 9 and GO FOR 2!  What are you thinking?  At this point I feel sorry for the players because it obvious that Anderson is over his head!  Hopefully ASU has a FIRE YOU clause in his contract to go with the buy out as well as with the AD that hired this  clown!  Worst part is that he will get away with it at ASU, but nowhere else in the country.  The man would have been fired tonight!  Keep this clown and when these seniors are gone,  back to medoricatry!

I think he's a great coach.  He's a little too trick-play happy, but I like that.  It's fun as heck to watch.  The Rams did the same thing to Seahawks the other day basically and it worked so Jeff Fisher looked like a genius.  They don't get it, they likely lose the game.  I'm more upset about the two-point play down nine, but it is what it is.  He will learn, he's a first-year head coach and we're 4-3, definitely no reason to fire him now.  Besides, our defense is what cost us tonight.

Jacketman65

Quote from: dc24 on October 22, 2014, 12:01:21 am

I think he's a great coach.  He's a little too trick-play happy, but I like that.  It's fun as heck to watch.  The Rams did the same thing to Seahawks the other day basically and it worked so Jeff Fisher looked like a genius.  They don't get it, they likely lose the game.  I'm more upset about the two-point play down nine, but it is what it is.  He will learn, he's a first-year head coach and we're 4-3, definitely no reason to fire him now.  Besides, our defense is what cost us tonight.
Yes, I agree to a point, but you/we don't hire a coach to learn on the fly - this is D-1 and we want to compete with the likes of Boise much less the U of A?  Unexcepible!  ULL coach knows what is going on, none of our so called tricks worked,  had his team well prepared, unlike ours!

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

The 4th down throwback to the punter was a little nuts, but I'm not sure why the announcer (and you guys) are so upset about going for 2 down 9?  If he gets it, great, but if he doesn't get it, he knows that he needs the ball two more times.  Let's say he kicks the extra point, and is now down 8...he still needs a TD and a 2-point conversion.  The next time he gets the ball, does he hurry up and try to score, or score with a few seconds remaining leave the game resting on the success or failure of a 2-point conversion?

I personally think Anderson is doing a great job.  His assistant coaches love him, the players love him, and I think MOST of the (obviously not all) of the fans love him.  If you are going to blame the loss on him, that's fine, but it should be more on the defensive front preparation than an awful fake punt.  Even if they get that punt out of there, there is little indication the Red Wolves would have kept ULL out of the endzone with such great field position.

Jacketman65

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on October 22, 2014, 12:28:07 am
The 4th down throwback to the punter was a little nuts, but I'm not sure why the announcer (and you guys) are so upset about going for 2 down 9?  If he gets it, great, but if he doesn't get it, he knows that he needs the ball two more times.  Let's say he kicks the extra point, and is now down 8...he still needs a TD and a 2-point conversion.  The next time he gets the ball, does he hurry up and try to score, or score with a few seconds remaining leave the game resting on the success or failure of a 2-point conversion?

I personally think Anderson is doing a great job.  His assistant coaches love him, the players love him, and I think MOST of the (obviously not all) of the fans love him.  If you are going to blame the loss on him, that's fine, but it should be more on the defensive front preparation than an awful fake punt.  Even if they get that punt out of there, there is little indication the Red Wolves would have kept ULL out of the endzone with such great field position.
I agree to a point.  At least put yourself in the position for that final play should it come down to that.  What do you think that going for the 2 did to the players mentally?  Rather than being down by 1 score plus the 2 pt. conversion, they are sown 2 scores! Bad, Bad, Bad on the coaches.  If it is OK, then why didn't we go for it the nest time at our own 20?  Trick plays are fine, but as was proven tonight, will not always win you games with a well coached team!

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I'm just saying that if you go for it now then you know what is in front of you.  I think he felt like they just drove 93 yards (sort of 96 since they lost 3 yards on the first carry) and had the momentum.  I'm not saying that is what I would have done, I just don't think it is dumb as the announcer made it sound.  To me, it's more about whether you feel like you have them on the ropes and feel like you can get it then.  Don't forget in the back of his mind he may still be thinking about the missed extra point at the first of the game.

Jacketman65

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on October 22, 2014, 12:50:56 am
I'm just saying that if you go for it now then you know what is in front of you.  I think he felt like they just drove 93 yards (sort of 96 since they lost 3 yards on the first carry) and had the momentum.  I'm not saying that is what I would have done, I just don't think it is dumb as the announcer made it sound.  To me, it's more about whether you feel like you have them on the ropes and feel like you can get it then.  Don't forget in the back of his mind he may still be thinking about the missed extra point at the first of the game.
IMOP, we never had them on the ropes,  I will say again worst coaching decision I have ever seen,  even you would not have done that.  Put his players in a bad situation.  After all of that we have 2 players ejected, which means they miss the next game - right?  Oh well, hopefully the wolves will bounce back!

dc24

Quote from: Jacketman65 on October 22, 2014, 12:21:09 am
Quote from: dc24 on October 22, 2014, 12:01:21 am

Yes, I agree to a point, but you/we don't hire a coach to learn on the fly - this is D-1 and we want to compete with the likes of Boise much less the U of A?  Unexcepible!  ULL coach knows what is going on, none of our so called tricks worked,  had his team well prepared, unlike ours!

Everybody has to start somewhere.  Coaches are constantly learning on the fly, that's part of coaching.  You're always learning.  And some of the plays did work.  The first fake punt worked, the double pass was wide open, just a bad pass, so I wouldn't say that and they've worked some in the other games.  Flea flicker worked too, but missed the pass, but got a pass interference call.  You're mad about the game and I get that, but step back from the ledge.

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on October 22, 2014, 12:28:07 am

I get your point coach and I doubt there is statistical evidence anywhere, but I feel like our chances of tying the game and eventually winning were much better by kicking the extra point with 5:37 left than going for the two early and being down nine since we didn't get it.  You're not even guaranteed of getting the ball one more time with that time left, much less two times.

Now I agree, the coaches and players do love him and I believe most fans do, although he probably lost a few tonight.  I don't agree with the punt, but I definitely don't agree with throwing it to the punter to get 11 or 12 yards.  I'd must rather have that throw going to someone else, although they surely were banking on the fact that no one would go with the punter.  I hated the timing of it more than anything though.  Our defense got rocked for the most part tonight, but prior to the half and in the third quarter the defense settled down and were playing well.  I'm not sure we would have stopped them like you said, but I like our chances much better with them going 40 to 50 yards than five.  Had it been at another point in the game when we couldn't stop them, I don't mind it as much.

All that being said, I still think Anderson is the right man for the job and there is still a lot of season left.  We're 4-3 and I'd be really excited if we got to 8-4.  I thought Fredi grew tonight as well.  He made one bad throw that should have been picked, but otherwise he looked great and made some good throws on the run.  I felt like he grew in that part of his game, which hadn't looked as strong to me before tonight.

birdman16

No reason they shouldn't be able to go 9-3. It just sucks that Georgia Southern doesn't play either of these teams and can win the conference.

Romeo

dc24

Quote from: birdman16 on October 22, 2014, 05:46:05 am
No reason they shouldn't be able to go 9-3. It just sucks that Georgia Southern doesn't play either of these teams and can win the conference.

I think it is a shame that Georgia Southern can't win it.  They might be the best team in the conference this year, but it really sucks that they can win the conference without playing A-State or ULL, but they can't go to a bowl game.

WPWells

I wish A-State all the best! Even though I'm a diehard Hog fan, I feel no animosity towards teams from the rest of the state. In fact, I usually root for y'all!

birdman16

From what I've read they are eligible for the conference title but they can go to a bowl only if they run out of 6-6 teams to select.

Douglas

October 22, 2014, 12:22:30 pm #77 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:34:13 pm by Douglas
Quote from: birdman16 on October 22, 2014, 12:11:50 pmFrom what I've read they are eligible for the conference title but they can go to a bowl only if they run out of 6-6 teams to select.
Georgia Southern would qualify under the 5th item of bowl eligibility, in normal situations. This makes them an EXTREME long shot to go Bowling this year.

#1: Teams finishing 6-6 with one win against a team from the lower Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), regardless of whether that FCS school meets NCAA scholarship requirements. Until now, an FCS win counted only if that opponent met the scholarship requirements—specifically, that school had to award at least 90% of the FCS maximum of 63 scholarship equivalents over a two-year period.

#2: 6-6 teams with two wins over FCS schools.

#3: Teams that finish 6-7 with loss number seven in their conference championship game (that has been eliminated by the conference championship waiver rule).

#4: 6-7 teams that normally play a 13-team schedule, such as Hawaii's home opponents. Although Hawaii normally plays a 13-game schedule, it only played 12 games this season.

#5: FCS teams who are in the final year of the two-year FBS transition process, if they have at least a 6-6 record.

#6: Finally, 5-7 teams that have a top-5 Academic Progress Rate (APR) score. This was later adjusted to allow other 5-7 teams to be selected thereafter—in order of their APR.

All that being said, I believe their agreement with the Sun Belt Conference explicitly states that they and App State are NOT eligible for a bowl at all this year. They will be next year, though.

True Believer

Hoghead

bleudog

True Believer

Pretty helmets!   Love them!

But we lost Sat.  :(

fastdrop

I am guessing the ASU will get to keep their coach this year.

Uncle Ivan

AirWarren

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: AirWarren on November 17, 2014, 08:11:23 am
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on November 17, 2014, 08:02:58 am
Appy State?

lulz

Haha. And their head coach will be leaving for FL soon.

Anderson?

Nah.  Florida's had a gutful of assistants who have to learn on he job.

DogsWin7

November 17, 2014, 12:35:08 pm #86 Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:22:46 pm by DiehardFBfan
posted on the wrong thread....sorry!

Douglas

Anderson is staying through next season, guaranteed. He's not going anywhere until AFTER his daughter graduates. :)

True Believer

Appy State?

lulz

Yep    And didn't I hear something about the pigs finally winning a SEC game.  Congrats.

Jacketman65

Quote from: Douglas on November 17, 2014, 02:55:39 pm
Anderson is staying through next season, guaranteed. He's not going anywhere until AFTER his daughter graduates. :)
No disrespect, but we have heard this before!

Douglas

Quote from: Jacketman65No disrespect, but we have heard this before!
I'll put my reputation on the line for this one. Anderson will finally bring stability to the Coaching Carousel at Arkansas State. :)

Moonshiner

Quote from: True Believer on November 17, 2014, 07:04:48 pm
Appy State?

lulz

Yep    And didn't I hear something about the pigs finally winning a SEC game.  Congrats.

Thanks.  Tough competition in the SEC. 

AirWarren

Quote from: True Believer on November 17, 2014, 07:04:48 pm
Appy State?

lulz

Yup. We don't get cutter morning star every week.

birdman16

So you ride the shirt tails of the SEC to justify losing?

Moonshiner

You're saying ASU could've competed better if the schedules were swapped?

birdman16

Didn't say that at all. I'm just trying to figure out how you justify losing games by saying you play in the SEC. So by playing in the SEC you say losing is okay?

fastdrop

Looks like the real trolls are showing up now that the Hogs finally won an SEC game. It took about 3 days longer than I thought before the cocky for what Hog fan trolls started bashing ASU.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: fastdrop on November 20, 2014, 12:26:20 pm
Looks like the real trolls are showing up now that the Hogs finally won an SEC game. It took about 3 days longer than I thought before the cocky for what Hog fan trolls started bashing ASU.

I'll be here if Arkansas goes 0-12.

Moonshiner

Not trolling....well maybe a lil.  I believe it was True Believer that first mentioned Arkansas winning an SEC game.  Lots of trolling by the College of Jonesboro fans on the SEC board all year.  It goes on everywhere I guess.

AirWarren

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on November 20, 2014, 04:36:02 pm

I'll be here if Arkansas goes 0-12.

Yup.

Meanwhile, ASU is struggling with Texas state commerce community college.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas