• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Too hot to fly

Started by BillyJack™, June 09, 2011, 07:39:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyJack™

This little dude was sitting on the gate post and didn't really care who came in or out. It was just too hot for him bother flying off.

pantherblue

That's just awesome!! Picture and story....

Infamous

BillyJack™

Quote from: Infamous on June 30, 2011, 10:47:55 pm
Wow, nice detail.
Can you believe that still is off a video clip? I shot it with a Sony HD AX2000 HandyCam. Best money I've spent on camera equipment. This past year I haven't even pulled my digital out of its case. Every picture I posted on AiredaleNation.com was pulled off video.

sevenof400

BillyJack,

Airedale nation must be paying you some big coin to afford that kind of camera! 
Nice photo though and given the heat today, I know how this bee feels. 

BillyJack™

HHAHAHHHAHAAA!!!! Big coin? Needed the laugh, thanks.

sevenof400

Okay then, you must have robbed your kid's piggy banks, searched countless couch cushions, and skipped some gifts on the better half's significant events....

Seriously though, that's a nice rig.  Your camera looks very similar to the one the fellow from Huntsville uses.  Have you seen the setup he (the Huntsville video man) has?  He combines a very nice HD camera with two DVD burners so he burns as he films.  I believe I recall him saying they have a cable access channel in Huntsville so he shows the high school games locally.  They takes their basketball seriously in Huntsville (just need to build a better arena)!

BillyJack™

Fortune smiled on me and presented an opportunity to pick this camera up at a really good price so snagged it.

Haven't seen the Huntsville rig I don't guess. I've only seen Greenwood's and Shiloh's. A buddy of mine that works for the 40/29 news station got me switched over from digital pics to shooting video. He's been shooting and producing the "Airedales on the Air" football show for the past 7 years and I've kinda melded into the program over the past 5/6 by designing graphics and loading each week's show up on the Nation.

sevenof400

Can you tell me more about your transition to shooting video?  Was it just a better fit for your needs?  Just curious as to what made you consider this jump...

Isn't the video camera much larger - therefore more bulky and harder to handle?  I'm interested in the pros / cons of this transition.

I currently have access to an Olympus E-510 digital camera and I shoot video with a Sony DCR-TRV320 video camera - it's an oldie but a goodie.  The Sony is a taped based camera but the optics on it are pretty good and the DVD's I produce can see detail better than most of the hard drive based cameras (except for the most recent ones)....

One downside though is I have a real time transfer from tape to computer (where I hack, slash and chapter the video a bit) before burning to DVD.  That takes a pretty good bit of time.  I'm looking at some ideas to trim the time demands though.....

Texarkana_Piggie

he looks like melted wax poor thing.

BillyJack™

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 02, 2011, 09:20:50 pm
Can you tell me more about your transition to shooting video?  Was it just a better fit for your needs?  Just curious as to what made you consider this jump...
Two things talked me into video over still. First was having an alternate angle for our TV show and second was missed shots using the still. Not so much in missed shots for football and baseball, but basketball and volleyball are not the easiest sports to anticipate from behind a lens. Video's continuos shooting has taken a lot of the guess work out of it.

QuoteIsn't the video camera much larger - therefore more bulky and harder to handle?  I'm interested in the pros / cons of this transition.
Not at all. My FinePix S1 Pro with a 70-300 Tele lens on it weighs as much and is very close to the same size as the AX2000.

QuoteI currently have access to an Olympus E-510 digital camera and I shoot video with a Sony DCR-TRV320 video camera - it's an oldie but a goodie.  The Sony is a taped based camera but the optics on it are pretty good and the DVD's I produce can see detail better than most of the hard drive based cameras (except for the most recent ones)....

One downside though is I have a real time transfer from tape to computer (where I hack, slash and chapter the video a bit) before burning to DVD.  That takes a pretty good bit of time.  I'm looking at some ideas to trim the time demands though.....
My buddy shoots with that style of video cam and it is a pain, time wise, to convert everything to digital. The AX2000 records direct to flash drive so all I do is pull the card, stick in the computer and read it with Sony Vegas. Full blown HD records in a new file format (MTS), but I usually just shoot 480pScan which I run with a 500 shutter speed and it's in mpg format right off the card.

Infamous

Quote from: BillyJack™ on July 01, 2011, 07:39:32 am
Quote from: Infamous on June 30, 2011, 10:47:55 pm
Wow, nice detail.
Can you believe that still is off a video clip? I shot it with a Sony HD AX2000 HandyCam. Best money I've spent on camera equipment. This past year I haven't even pulled my digital out of its case. Every picture I posted on AiredaleNation.com was pulled off video.

Really? Very cool.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas