• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playoff Predictions - All Classes

Started by KingOfNothing, October 14, 2015, 03:16:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KingOfNothing

With the season finishing up this week, who are you all predicting to win each classification's State Championship?

My predictions are:

3A - Episcopal over Paris 3-2. (I know... This sounds crazy... Maybe it is.)
4A - Shiloh Christian over Mena 3-1.
5A - Valley View over Paragould 3-1.
6A - Greenwood over Marion 3-2.
7A - Fayetteville over Bentonville 3-1.

1-Adam-12

In 3A I think only five teams, maybe six, have a shot at winning it all.  The two teams mentioned above, plus Booneville, Hoxie, Walnut Ridge and maybe Valley Springs.

4A, the two teams you mentioned are far and away the best in 4A.  If anyone else is in the final other than those two I will be very surprised.

That 6A final if it happens will be a great one to watch.

KingOfNothing

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on October 14, 2015, 06:52:36 pm
In 3A I think only five teams, maybe six, have a shot at winning it all.  The two teams mentioned above, plus Booneville, Hoxie, Walnut Ridge and maybe Valley Springs.

4A, the two teams you mentioned are far and away the best in 4A.  If anyone else is in the final other than those two I will be very surprised.

Yeah it will and you're right, it sounds like 3A could come down to any of those teams. It will just depend on which ones are clicking the best when it matters the most. I know your LadyCats are very good this year, so no disrespect directed your way. I based most of these predictions off quality wins and scores vs. opponents that both teams have played. I can't really consider the quality of conference opponents, cause I'm not very familiar with some of the conferences. Also, with that understanding, I didn't put too much weight on conference records. Those can sometimes be really deceptive.

What are your predictions 1-Adam?

Grond

Quote from: KingOfNothing on October 14, 2015, 03:16:08 pm
With the season finishing up this week, who are you all predicting to win each classification's State Championship?

My predictions are:

Hoping for Paragould, but they simply don't have the talent they had last year.

Valley View is back, AND mad. Hard to argue against them winning a Title.

Vballfan

Quote from: KingOfNothing on October 14, 2015, 03:16:08 pm

My predictions are:

big match tonight between Greenwood and Russellville, Russellville won the Conway Tourney and had a win over Marion there.  With 6A at Greenwood probably has more to do with who is matched up with whom before the finals which I haven't looked at that.  I still like Marion to get it done though.  Jonesboro seems to have improved as the season has gone along but I think there are still a ways off these 3 top teams and Mountain Home hasn't faired as well the second half of conf season but they are still a team you have to show up to beat.

7A  - agree with the prediction.  I just don't see anyone actually knocking off these two teams off but with it in Conway - you never know.  Last year I think it was a given Bentonville was going to win it and Fayetteville was the surprise.  This year - it certainly feels like Fayetteville is the given and Bentonville will play them  - but maybe not as much a certainty and possible another team like HarBer or Conway could knock off Bentonville on the top half of the bracket if Bentonville had an off night

Valley View all the way in 5A. 

fineline

As a Valley View parent I am hoping everyone is right about 5A, but let's not forget last year. 2014 Valley View beat Paragould in both conference matches, at 2 tournaments, and then lost to them in the state finals 3-2. Paragould is a great team and Valley View respects them and enjoys playing against them. If they do end up meeting again at the state finals it will be a fierce battle. If our young Valley View team can keep the unforced errors down and keep the team spirit up there will be no stopping them.  ;D
In 6A I'm going with Marion. I think they have it in them, although statistically Greenwood is favored.
I'll go along with Fayetteville for 7A.
I'm not as familiar with the other divisions.

Valleysports

Quote from: Vballfan on October 15, 2015, 04:42:50 pm
big match tonight between Greenwood and Russellville, Russellville won the Conway Tourney and had a win over Marion there.  With 6A at Greenwood probably has more to do with who is matched up with whom before the finals which I haven't looked at that.  I still like Marion to get it done though.  Jonesboro seems to have improved as the season has gone along but I think there are still a ways off these 3 top teams and Mountain Home hasn't faired as well the second half of conf season but they are still a team you have to show up to beat.

Russellville's 2014 State Championship Team was stacked.  Now they're missing the consistency of having those 2-3 more JO Girls.  Greenwood (lost a step also) and Russellville are about as evenly matched as it gets.  Russellville won 3 out of 4.     

Vballfan

October 16, 2015, 08:44:12 am #7 Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:55:13 am by Vballfan
Quote from: Valleysports on October 16, 2015, 01:09:49 am
Quote from: Vballfan on October 15, 2015, 04:42:50 pm

Russellville's 2014 State Championship Team was stacked.  Now they're missing the consistency of having those 2-3 more JO Girls.  Greenwood (lost a step also) and Russellville are about as evenly matched as it gets.  Russellville won 3 out of 4.     

Greenwood lost a step?  Looks like they are having a much better season than last year!

That's a big win for Russellville.  Granted they had 5-6 college athletes on their squad last year and only have 3-4 this year - but that is still 3-4 more than most teams have!  they are talented for sure but I understand your point there are holes, particularly in the defense.

Russellville now has consecutive wins over the two so called favorites of Greenwood and Marion.   Should be a very good 6A Tourney! 

Valleysports

Yes we had this disagreement early in they year (we discussed who graduated from Greenwood).  I know you're behind Greenwood, but last year's team would've torn Russellville up last night.  I saw it with mine own eyes, it's okay to disagree.  ;)

1-Adam-12

Quote from: KingOfNothing on October 15, 2015, 12:28:09 pm

Yeah it will and you're right, it sounds like 3A could come down to any of those teams. It will just depend on which ones are clicking the best when it matters the most. I know your LadyCats are very good this year, so no disrespect directed your way. I based most of these predictions off quality wins and scores vs. opponents that both teams have played. I can't really consider the quality of conference opponents, cause I'm not very familiar with some of the conferences. Also, with that understanding, I didn't put too much weight on conference records. Those can sometimes be really deceptive.

3A, I stand by my prediction that it will be one of those five or six teams that you and I mentioned.  I will know more when the state bracket is settled.  Should be a great tournament with many close matches. 

4A, Mena and Shiloh are the class of the classification.  The only team I feel is capable of beating either of them out is Brookland.

5A, I will be very surprised if Valley View does not win it all.

6A, I'm familiar with Greenwood and they were rolling early, but have a couple of losses lately, albeit to quality teams like Russellville and Bryant.  Marion seems to be the team to beat in the East.  I've seen a JO team with some of their players in action and they are very athletic.

7A, Fayetteville seems a cut above the rest of 7A, though Bentonville and Har-Ber are to be reckoned with.  Southside has slipped quite a bit this season.  Bryant and NLR look to be the best from the other side of the state.

Valleysports

October 18, 2015, 12:29:31 pm #10 Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:05:57 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: Vballfan on October 16, 2015, 08:44:12 am
That's a big win for Russellville.  Granted they had 5-6 college athletes on their squad last year and only have 3-4 this year - but that is still 3-4 more than most teams have!  they are talented for sure but I understand your point there are holes, particularly in the defense.

Russellville has been doing well for 4 yrs now (thank you Tech JO).  I'm proud of what they've accomplished and the memory they'll have from now on.  Hope the playoffs are fun and I only wish that all these hardworking girls, from all the teams, could win the championship game.  And I hope your lives are wonderfully blessed!     

moe99expedition

7A- As long as Fayetteville can stay focused and healthy it would be a big task for someone to beat them. I don't know what's going on in the other part of the state so no thoughts there. I would not count out Bentonvile. I don't think they are to happy with their close loss to Fayetteville. They also have some young players that are now stepping up!

sevenof400

In the 3A, Atkins, Conway Christian and Harding Academy will represent their conference in the state tourney.  The actual seeds will be decided tomorrow.

Conway Christian eliminated Mayflower and Harding Academy eliminated St. joe to move to a playoff game for the right to face Atkins in the finals.

1-Adam-12

3A West will have Paris, Booneville and West Fork going to state. Order decided tomorrow.

unfaceable

3A South will send Episcopal, Jessieville, Marianna, and Cutter Morning Star to State Tourney. Order to be determined tomorrow, but I imagine that it will be as listed above.

gatecrasher

CMS had chances to beat both Jessieville and Marianna during the regular season.
Blew big leads in multiple sets against both teams.
If the team that pounded Perryville tonight shows back up at the Jessieville Sports Arena tomorrow, they could pull an upset or two.
Episcopal is in a class by themselves though.

unfaceable

I agree, Gate! CMS has chances to compete with anyone. I believe they can be very competitive with Marianna and possibly pull off that upset, which would be huge for them (not having to play Paris in the first round). Jessieville will be a tough out, though, in their home gym! If they could somehow get past Jessieville, that would give them a much better chance of making it beyond the first round of state!

KingOfNothing

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on October 18, 2015, 09:41:32 am
Quote from: KingOfNothing on October 15, 2015, 12:28:09 pm

3A, I stand by my prediction that it will be one of those five or six teams that you and I mentioned.  I will know more when the state bracket is settled.  Should be a great tournament with many close matches. 

4A, Mena and Shiloh are the class of the classification.  The only team I feel is capable of beating either of them out is Brookland.

5A, I will be very surprised if Valley View does not win it all.

6A, I'm familiar with Greenwood and they were rolling early, but have a couple of losses lately, albeit to quality teams like Russellville and Bryant.  Marion seems to be the team to beat in the East.  I've seen a JO team with some of their players in action and they are very athletic.

7A, Fayetteville seems a cut above the rest of 7A, though Bentonville and Har-Ber are to be reckoned with.  Southside has slipped quite a bit this season.  Bryant and NLR look to be the best from the other side of the state.

Good call on all accounts. Valley Springs looking more and more like a BIG maybe, having to beat Bergman tonight to even make it there... Either that conference is tougher than I thought or Valley is struggling as of late. Despite that, I still think the 3A tournament will be the most exciting, because it could go any direction, depending on who shows up, and there will be a lot of interesting match-ups!

4A and 5A, we are in total agreement, although having seen Brookland lately, they don't seem to be as strong as they have been in years past.

In 6A I'm wondering what's going on with Greenwood, because they seemed to be completely dominant at the beginning of the year, but they have dropped some interesting games lately. I've seen Marion lately and they do look very athletic and seem to have all sorts of weapons, but having seen Greenwood also, I still feel like Greenwood is better, although their records don't necessarily reflect that. And where did Russellville come from???

I don't think anyone will touch Fayetteville for a couple of years. They are SO dominant, despite the youth they have!

Thanks for sharing your opinions. I hope we both prove to be right! It should be a fun postseason to follow!

1-Adam-12

October 20, 2015, 01:04:04 pm #18 Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 01:07:24 pm by 1-Adam-12
If I understood right, Valley Springs lost their best back-row player to injury which probably contributed to their loss to Green Forest, though GF has a lot of volleyball tradition and seems to always have a good team.  You know Bergman will be laying for Valley today and it's at Bergman so VS faces a daunting task.

That said, Valley lost to Mansfield in a tournament, and Mansfield did not make state this year.

Russellville is always good, they have a good feeder system from JO.

Valleysports

sevenof400

Final 3A seedings from conference tourney
(1) Atkins
(2) Conway Christian
(3) Harding Academy

Brian G

Fayetteville finished off Bentonville to grab the #1 seed.

Bentonville the #2.

I think Har-Ber is the #3 with the rest determined tonight.

gatecrasher

3A South seeds same as regular season...

1. Episcopal
2. Jessieville
3. Marianna
4. Cutter Morning Star

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas