• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Use of tiebreaker points

Started by Girls SHoccer, April 30, 2016, 07:49:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Girls SHoccer

Can somebody elucidate the tie breaking points to me?  I have read and reread the AAA Rule 6 Soccer Tie Breaking Procedure and I still cannot understand which takes precedence when just 2 teams are tied in the standings:  the overall tiebreaking points or the head to head goal differential.  Here's a scenario:

Team A is about to play Team B in what is both teams' last conference game.  Team A is 5-2 and Team B is 4-3.  Team A holds a 4 point advantage in overall tiebreaking points and a 2 point advantage in the previous conference game between A & B.  If Team B were to win this last game, both teams would end the season 5-3 and have split their head to head games. 

Which tiebreaker would then kick in?  If overall tiebreaking points are used, Team A's 4 tiebreaking points are insurmountable, since Team B can only earn a maximum of 3 for the game.  If head to head goal differential takes precedence, and if Team B wins the game by 3 goals, they would advance past Team A in the seedings.

sevenof400

In a 2 way tie, head to head comes first (head to head goal differential). 

In your scenario, you said Team A beat Team B the first time by 2 goals. 

If Team B wins the second game against Team A, the head to head record would be 1-1.  The next step is to check out the goal differential in each game. 

1st game:
Team A won by 2

2nd game:

• If Team B won by 1 goal, Team A would own the head to head tiebreaker based on head to head goal differential. (From 1st game, Team A +2, second game, Team B +1.  Total Team A +1, Team A owns tiebreaker).
  • If Team B won by exactly 2 goals, the head to head tiebreaker would be tied (1-1 and goal differential the same).  In this situation, you would then move on to goal differential in all conference games.
  • If Team B won by more than 2 goals, the head to head tiebreaker would be tied (1-1) and Team B would one the tiebreaker based on head to head goal differential (From 1st game, Team A +2, second game, Team B + 3  Total Team B +1, Team B owns tiebreaker).

Does that help?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas