• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A west

Started by TNT_15, March 29, 2016, 05:40:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TNT_15

JMBknvc

March 29

VB     Vilonia 1 vs  Maumelle 2
VG     Vilonia 0 vs  Maumelle 5

Team Mom

LRCA @ Vilonia

LRCA VG 6 vs Vilonia VG 0

Boys play Friday 4/1. 

ArkHog#7

April 01, 2016, 09:59:33 pm #3 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:40:42 pm by ArkHog#7

ArkHog#7

April 01, 2016, 10:02:51 pm #4 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:40:59 pm by ArkHog#7

sevenof400

Having now had the opportunity to see the Clarksville boys, let me offer the following:

• They are definitely improved this year.  In a sense, they remind me a bit of Maumelle from last year in that no one player really stands out but several are solid.  Clarksville is NOT yet to Maumelle's level but the difference is much less this year than it was last year.
  • Which brings me to my other point - the West boys (as a whole) are definitely down this year.  I just don't see the quality in the West it has had in previous years.  Time (and the playoffs) will tell the definitive story though.

hogbert

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 10, 2016, 11:16:13 am
Having now had the opportunity to see the Clarksville boys, let me offer the following:

• They are definitely improved this year.  In a sense, they remind me a bit of Maumelle from last year in that no one player really stands out but several are solid.  Clarksville is NOT yet to Maumelle's level but the difference is much less this year than it was last year.
  • Which brings me to my other point - the West boys (as a whole) are definitely down this year.  I just don't see the quality in the West it has had in previous years.  Time (and the playoffs) will tell the definitive story though.

As to point number 2, agree wholeheartedly

TNT_15

Quote from: hogbert on April 10, 2016, 06:07:02 pm
As to point number 2, agree wholeheartedly
West is matched up with Central this year. Outside of pa I don't know much about them. What chances to the 3/4 seed teams from west have? I assume Maumelle and clarksville will be 1/2 and both will win first round

GobSoccerFan12

What is Maumelle like this year? What do they like to do and what do they do well? Where are they strong? I imagined they'd be down this year after losing their SR class from last year, not #3 in the 5A. I didn't get to watch Harrison play them, I'd love to hear any info on them. Clarksville is also surprising considering their lack of success the past 2 years.

Sir Alex

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 10, 2016, 11:16:13 am

I would say the difference between Maumelle and Clarksville is that Maumelle is one injury away from having to play a completely different way. If you took their dominant speedster off the field they would lack that finisher that is good for a goal or two a game.  Clarksville is fast and skilled through their midfield and forward lines. Tomorrow night should be a good game.  Can't remember if the game is at Clarksville or Maumelle, if it is at Clarksville, Maumelle will struggle with the field.  Not sure either team has the defense or keeper to go far in the playoffs but you never know.  LRCA has a quality team but not at the level of last year, Vilonia has three dominant players and a decent keeper. Harrison is young and trying to figure things out.  Morrilton is young and small lacking quality defenders. Haven't seen Greenbrier yet but their best player from last year graduated.

Yes the 5a West boys side is not as good as last year but anything can happen come state tournament time. 

GobSoccerFan12

Tonight's conference games:
Harrison @ Greenbrier
Vilonia @ Morrilton
Maumelle @ Clarksville
Non-Conference:
LRCA @ Cabot

GobSoccerFan12

Quote from: GobSoccerFan12 on April 11, 2016, 10:12:40 am
What is Maumelle like this year? What do they like to do and what do they do well? Where are they strong? I imagined they'd be down this year after losing their SR class from last year, not #3 in the 5A. I didn't get to watch Harrison play them, I'd love to hear any info on them. Clarksville is also surprising considering their lack of success the past 2 years.

Bump

TNT_15

April 12, 2016, 03:51:05 pm #12 Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:00:07 pm by TNT_15
yes

arksoccer20

I've had the chance to see the Maumelle boys play in a lot of their games so far. For such a young team, they are very talented and are good all around the field. They seem to struggle in the beginning of their matches but this might be due to a lack of experience. But when they are at their best I feel like they can compete with anyone in the 5A.

Badger

Looks like they've fared well against 7A competition also.  Sounds like a solid team that should be able to compete for the 5A title again this year. 

Chief_Osceola™

April 13, 2016, 02:07:03 pm #15 Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:18:21 pm by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: GobSoccerFan12 on April 11, 2016, 10:12:40 am

Very young, but very talented.  They lost an outstanding group of seniors last year but have reloaded with an excellent group of underclassmen.  I think they are undefeated in conference and played Conway to a 2-2 tie.  In fact, I don't think they've lost yet this year.

FutbolPhan

Quote from: Badger on April 13, 2016, 01:37:33 pm
Looks like they've fared well against 7A competition also.  Sounds like a solid team that should be able to compete for the 5A title again this year.

Maumelle earned a 2-2 draw on the road at Conway on March 3rd as well.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: FutbolPhan on April 13, 2016, 02:16:03 pm
Maumelle earned a 2-2 draw on the road at Conway on March 3rd as well.

That's right - it was Conway they tied, not Bryant.  I've corrected my original post.

arksoccer20

Maumelle plays at Catholic on April 26. It should be interesting

hogbert

Not impressed with Maumelle, or Clarksville for that matter. I think the 5A West is down for sure.

sevenof400

Quote from: hogbert on April 14, 2016, 07:07:19 pm
Not impressed with Maumelle, or Clarksville for that matter. I think the 5A West is down for sure.

The more I look at this, I think the 5A is down overall.  I just don't see any stand out teams in the bunch..yet.

As an aside, for what this may be worth, there are some facts to support the position that the athletic level in the 5A may be down this year - check out the track board and look at the list of AQ's at this point.  In many years, those lists would be filled with bolded names - these days, not so much.  This may just be a one year trend but I suspect it may be more than that...

mijally

Why not?

HP14

Please expand.  What's not impressive about a team that loses 9 of 11 starters last year and is currently undefeated this season? who, pray tell, does impress you?

sevenof400

Quote from: HP14 on April 14, 2016, 09:40:12 pm
Please expand.  What's not impressive about a team that loses 9 of 11 starters last year and is currently undefeated this season? who, pray tell, does impress you?

Let's look at the whole picture here, HP14.  I agree with you - when you look at the numbers - it is impressive.  That kind of turnover in a team usually leads to downturn in the team's fortunes.  Maumelle is still running on, undefeated in conference. 

Now while I won't presume to speak for Hogbert, a look at more than the numbers is revealing.  This year's Maumelle team just does not play the kind of game last year's Maumelle team did.  Their ability to move off the ball, to work as a team, the number of players who can hurt you on the ball, the degree to which the team works as a team - things hard to quantify with numbers - just isn't up to the level of last year's team.  It's sort of one of those things you have to see in person I guess.

Now can this year's Maumelle team make a playoff run?  Absolutely.  I'll see them again here in a few days and I'll be interested to see if their overall level of play has improved since I last saw them.  As an aside, I am actually more impressed with Clarksville this year than I am Maumelle - but that is due to how much Clarksville has improved over the past few seasons.  Maumelle has been at (or near) the standard they are now over the last few seasons. 

Chief_Osceola™

It's a matter of perspective.  Maumelle was expected to take a step back after losing such a good senior class last year.  On the other hand, they have set high standards with their past success.  This year's team wouldn't beat last year's team, but their record this year is pretty impressive all things considered. 

GobSoccerFan12

Harrison has a chance to upset Maumelle @ Maumelle tonight as they did LRCA last week. Would shake things up if they did. Maumelle could widen the gap with a W.

Clarksville has a chance to put a big gap between the top 2 and everyone else if they beat LRCA @ Clarksville tonight. LRCA has a chance to close the gap if they win.

Greenbrier @ Morrilton tonight to see who is last place.

JMBknvc

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 15, 2016, 11:40:02 am
Let's look at the whole picture here, HP14.  I agree with you - when you look at the numbers - it is impressive.  That kind of turnover in a team usually leads to downturn in the team's fortunes.  Maumelle is still running on, undefeated in conference. 

Now while I won't presume to speak for Hogbert, a look at more than the numbers is revealing.  This year's Maumelle team just does not play the kind of game last year's Maumelle team did.  Their ability to move off the ball, to work as a team, the number of players who can hurt you on the ball, the degree to which the team works as a team - things hard to quantify with numbers - just isn't up to the level of last year's team.  It's sort of one of those things you have to see in person I guess.

I understand what you are talking about, which usually come with time and maturity. Would you not say the points you describe are due to the current team being majority a sophomore team? Where the players also play on different club teams and have not yet built that team cohesion. As compared to last year's team which was a senior team. That had played together or a majority of the player where on the same club team over their high school career. It is going to be interesting and fun to watch the current team over the next two years. Then we will be able to tell if they are as good as the 2015 Team.

Nevertheless, what they have accomplish midway through the season has been impressive.

hogbert

Quote from: HP14 on April 14, 2016, 09:40:12 pm

Good soccer.

JMBknvc

Quote from: hogbert on April 15, 2016, 07:18:45 pm
Good soccer.

Then, please tell. Who in the 5A West is playing good soccer? If not in the 5A West then who, 7A, 6A, 5A and 4A?

Jdhelbig

I hope DeQueen wins it all to be honest. 3 Times in a row

MDXPHD

Valley View is playing well right now. There are just a few teams that are playing good soccer though. I think the level of play in the 5a south will have those teams prepared for state more than the other conferences. I agree with most on here though who say 5A is down this season. Just not a whole lot of quality soccer in it.

I think some maumelle fans are misinterpreting what people are saying. What maumelle has done, reloading from last year, having a young team and still being pretty good, is very impressive. But the quality of soccer isn't, and the west is down this season. I'm impressed with how balanced maumelle is in all sports though. the school does a good job.

Go Postal

Starting the second half of conference.  I see Maumelle beat Harrison 2-1 in KFTM.   ???  Can someone give any details of the game.

GobSoccerFan12

LRCA beat Clarksville on an own goal and a Clarksvillr throw in right to the LRCA player in the box according to my friend with the nephew on the team. Sounds like mental mistakes are killing them right now. I can't believe Maumelle only beat my Gobs in PKs, with us being down this year.

hogbert

Ok, I see your friends nephew's review, and I'll add. Yep, first goal was on own goal for sure, but there was pressure on the defense. Bad clearance attempt into your own goal. Second goal may've come off a turnover, don't remember. But it was a high class finish. Goalie had no chance. In my opinion, the way you beat Clarksville is not giving them any time and space, and LRCA did a good job of closing them down. Everything was contested. The LRC goalie made one good save, had a couple kicked right to him and everything else was off target. Clarksville controlled possession by a wide margin, but seemed to lack the ability to put the passing together in what could be considered a coordinated attack.

JMBknvc

Quote from: Go Postal on April 16, 2016, 07:22:37 am
Starting the second half of conference.  I see Maumelle beat Harrison 2-1 in KFTM.   ???  Can someone give any details of the game.

Yep, all scoring in regulation was by Maumelle.

GobSoccerFan12

I think my Gobs are starting to figure it out a little bit, beating LRC and taking Maumelle to PKs. Just wish it'd happened in the 1st half of conference.

mijally

Quote from: GobSoccerFan12 on April 17, 2016, 01:43:57 am
I think my Gobs are starting to figure it out a little bit, beating LRC and taking Maumelle to PKs. Just wish it'd happened in the 1st half of conference.
I think you have to give Coach Pratt and his staff and the whole team credit. I did not see the game but they were well prepared if they took us to PK's. That is the sign of an excellent coach when a team responds in the 2nd leg after getting beat the first time.

5a soccer

The only reason the "gobs" took maumelle into PK's is because Maumelle's keeper had an own goal.  Maumelle controlled the whole game and harrisons goal was very undeserved

SoccerFan74

Really the goal was UNDESERVED. That is just showing how low some people will go. I could only imagine what you would say if you would have lost.

Go Postal

Own goal or made goal, it counts the same.  Neither team could score in the 2nd half to put the game away.  Mijally, here is a copy/paste of today's paper.  I didn't realize that it went to so many KFTMs to get a winner.

Senior Boys
The Harrison Goblins fell to Maumelle in penalty kicks, 2-1.
Harrison and Maumelle scored their only goals in the first half as it
was a 1-1 contest at intermission.
The Goblins (4-7-1, 3-4) got their goal from a corner kick by Micah
Ford.
During the game, keeper Kaden Jones stopped 10-of-11 shots.
Quintin Cone switched to the goal during the penalty kicks.
Harrison was the first to shoot during the shootout.
Zach Kelly toed the ball first for Harrison. He scored and Maumelle
missed giving the Goblins the early lead.
Ford scored the second attempt, but Maumelle did as well.
Sidney Bailey was the third Goblin to kick. He missed and Maumelle
took advantage of the miss and tied the contest.
Henrique Fraccaroli shot fourth and made his kick as did Maumelle to
tie the penalty kicks at 3-3.
Cone made the fifth kick as did Maumelle.
Going past the traditional five kickers to find a winner, Harrison put
senior Evan Causey up next. He made his kick, but so did Maumelle.
Forcing a seventh kicker.
Kain Mears was a go for Harrison. He was unsuccessful on his kick and
Maumelle ended the contest as it made its kick.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Go Postal on April 19, 2016, 09:43:35 pm
Own goal or made goal, it counts the same.  Neither team could score in the 2nd half to put the game away.  Mijally, here is a copy/paste of today's paper.  I didn't realize that it went to so many KFTMs to get a winner.

Senior Boys
The Harrison Goblins fell to Maumelle in penalty kicks, 2-1.
Harrison and Maumelle scored their only goals in the first half as it
was a 1-1 contest at intermission.
The Goblins (4-7-1, 3-4) got their goal from a corner kick by Micah
Ford.
During the game, keeper Kaden Jones stopped 10-of-11 shots.
Quintin Cone switched to the goal during the penalty kicks.
Harrison was the first to shoot during the shootout.
Zach Kelly toed the ball first for Harrison. He scored and Maumelle
missed giving the Goblins the early lead.
Ford scored the second attempt, but Maumelle did as well.
Sidney Bailey was the third Goblin to kick. He missed and Maumelle
took advantage of the miss and tied the contest.
Henrique Fraccaroli shot fourth and made his kick as did Maumelle to
tie the penalty kicks at 3-3.
Cone made the fifth kick as did Maumelle.
Going past the traditional five kickers to find a winner, Harrison put
senior Evan Causey up next. He made his kick, but so did Maumelle.
Forcing a seventh kicker.
Kain Mears was a go for Harrison. He was unsuccessful on his kick and
Maumelle ended the contest as it made its kick.

Sounds like a heck of a match. Tough loss for the Gobs.

Go Postal

I did get a chance to see tonight's Clarksville 1 - Harrison 0 game.  The Panthers scored with around 23:29 left in the 2nd half.  It was a very exciting fast paced game.  Here are my thoughts..

Clarksville is very talented.  Methodical and fast.  (Kind of reminds me of Berryville years ago).  If I was going to use music as a example, I would say the guitar riff from "Message in a Bottle" by the Police.  It moves along methodically as long as you have a long enough pinky to play the far note. If you don't then it is a little harder to get the job done.  The same with the Panthers, moves along methodically until you put a lot of pressure at the ball and it is harder to be as smooth.  Good team.

Harrison has raw talent.  Physical, fast and a young team that starting to play together as a team.  If I was going to use music as a example, I would say the weird 7/4 beat bass and guitar riff from "Money" by Pink Floyd.  You wouldn't think that kind of key signature would work, but it can and does.  The Goblins lost to Maumelle 5-0 in the 1st half of the season and lost in KFTM by one point in the 2nd half.  Goblins lost to Clarksville 4-1 in the 1st half of the season and lost this game 1-0.  So it looks like Coach Pratt is starting to get the band back together.  They say you can "tune a piano but you can't tuna fish", but I think Harrison's coach is teaching the Goblins the correct notes to use and they are starting to play the correct tune.  Keep up the good work Goblins!

FYI to my buddies in Vilonia, this is not the same Goblin team as it was in our first game together.

For those who haven't heard the above songs, enjoy...

and

mijally

April 19, 2016, 11:23:17 pm #42 Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:33:53 pm by mijally
Thanks Go Postal. You have to be impressed with so many young players making shootout KFTM. That's good experience for playoff time. Coach Pratt hasn't won as much as he has by not making adjustments. He fixed the holes in his defense. I still think they have a good chance to make the playoffs.

GobSoccerFan12

Got to go watch Harrison and Clarksville last night. Clarksville plays very appealing soccer, and moves the ball around well. Seem to lack the finishing product at times though. The gobs seemed to play better defense than earlier in the year, but seemed to sit back and send long balls last night. Giving up the games only goal on a header with about 20 mins left. Whatever the change up has been, it is working as they only lost 1-0 compared to 4-1 earlier this year. I'm excited to see what we can do if we can make it into the playoffs. We may surprise someone in the 1st round.

HP14

Quote from: MDXPHD on April 16, 2016, 07:01:18 am
Valley View is playing well right now. There are just a few teams that are playing good soccer though. I think the level of play in the 5a south will have those teams prepared for state more than the other conferences. I agree with most on here though who say 5A is down this season. Just not a whole lot of quality soccer in it.

I think some maumelle fans are misinterpreting what people are saying. What maumelle has done, reloading from last year, having a young team and still being pretty good, is very impressive. But the quality of soccer isn't, and the west is down this season. I'm impressed with how balanced maumelle is in all sports though. the school does a good job.

I am impressed as well with what these young men have done and will be very interested in how the brackets shape up for all conferences.  I only wish Maumelle had played more early tournaments and games this year as they have in the past.

Quote from: 5a soccer on April 19, 2016, 01:41:15 pm
The only reason the "gobs" took maumelle into PK's is because Maumelle's keeper had an own goal.  Maumelle controlled the whole game and Harrison's goal was very undeserved
Quote from: GobSoccerFan12 on April 20, 2016, 12:46:21 pm
Got to go watch Harrison and Clarksville last night. Clarksville plays very appealing soccer, and moves the ball around well. Seem to lack the finishing product at times though. The gobs seemed to play better defense than earlier in the year, but seemed to sit back and send long balls last night. Giving up the games only goal on a header with about 20 mins left. Whatever the change up has been, it is working as they only lost 1-0 compared to 4-1 earlier this year. I'm excited to see what we can do if we can make it into the playoffs. We may surprise someone in the 1st round.

Any goal is deserved as THAT team has it in front of YOUR goal and the ball was not cleared..... you have to remember that an entire 90 minutes were played and no other goals were scored vs Maumelle. You can't discount a goal just because you didn't like the way it went in.  Harrison's offense may still be finding their way, but their defense seems to have found its footing.  Good luck to all the west teams in the playoffs.   

Go Postal

April 21, 2016, 08:24:23 pm #45 Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:39:05 pm by Go Postal

From today's local paper...

Clarksville at Harrison
The Lady Goblins earned a 6-0 victory at F.S. Garrison Stadium as they improve their record to 7-1 in 5A-West play.
Harrison's boys found themselves in a scrap with Clarksville, but eventually fell, 1-0.
Senior Girls
The Harrison Lady Goblins pitched another shutout as they topped Clarksville, 6-0, on Tuesday.
It didn't take long for Harrison to grab a lead as senior Carlee Spears scored an unassisted goal just 3 minutes into the match.
Claire Doshier got the Lady Goblins back on the board wtih 19:16 to play in the opening half. Katie Jones delivered a pass to Doshier who finished with a shot past the keeper to make it 2-0.
Spears picked up the third goal of the match as she hauled in a pass from Heather Reading and ripped a shot into the net for a 3-0 Harrison lead at the half.
The second half was a repeat of the first for the Lady Goblins.
Harrison put another three goals on the board in the second half to invoke the mercy rule.
Doshier got her second goal of the match with 37:32 to play in the half as Jones delivered her second assist for Harrison.
Spears picked up her third goal with 33:20 to play as she took the ball unassisted to beat beat the keeper for a 5-0 score.
The final score of the match went to Jones who dribbled in and blasted a shot into the goal.
Makayla Campbell and Justice Ford combined for the shutout in goal for Harrison. Clarksville put no shots on goal during the match.
Harrison improves to 10-4-1 overall on the year and remains in second place in the 5A-West standings with a 7-1 mark. Little Rock Christian holds the top spot at 8-0.
The Lady Goblins will head to West Plains, Mo. on Friday to take part in tournament action over the weekend.
Senior Boys
The Goblins fell, 1-0, to Clarksville in a back-and-fourth match.
The two teams exchanged scoring chances in the first half with both teams coming up empty.
Clarksville controlled possession for a large part of the opening 40 minutes, but the Goblins created several breaks on offense. The resulting shots of those breaks never found the back of the net as the score remained 0-0 heading into the half.
The Goblins coudn't keep Clarksville off the board in the second half.
Clarksville picked up the only goal of the match to take the win.
Kaden Jones was in goal and saved 8-of-9 shots for the Goblins.
Harrison falls to 4-8-1 overall with a 3-5 record in conference play.
Today, the Goblins will travel to Siloam Springs for a non-conference matchup.

JMBknvc

Tonight's matchups

Clarksville vs Greenbrier
LRCA vs Morrilton
Harrison vs Vilonia

Well, looks like some key matchups coming into the final stretch. Will LRCA stumble tonight? Can Greenbrier find a way to take down Clarksville, after two big wins against LRCA & Maumelle and close the gap? Which team, Harrison or Vilonia will stay in the hunt for a playoff position?

5a soccer

So who gets to decide wether and player is all conference and all state

sevenof400

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas