• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring High School Alternative League

Started by baseballplayer2017, March 01, 2018, 11:56:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baseballplayer2017

Are there any alternative spring leagues for high school players who aren't playing high school baseball?

ZoneBuster

For players who get cut from their high school team or who "don't like their coach?"

Nomad1324

Quote from: ZoneBuster on March 03, 2018, 08:14:04 pm
For players who get cut from their high school team or who "don't like their coach?"

You have asked the correct question....lol....

KOJACK

Quote from: baseballplayer2017 on March 01, 2018, 11:56:29 pm
Are there any alternative spring leagues for high school players who aren't playing high school baseball?
Yes it's called track

Mulerider4Life

Many city leagues will go up to age 16. Then you also have certain summer leagues. It would be pretty cool if they did city league up till age 18. That way you still had an opportunity to play if you didn't make the team.

Mulerider4Life

ZoneBuster

Usssa is going on already at younger levels.

southarkdaddy

Mulerider4Life

I wonder why City Leagues don't just go till 18?

T-Bone

Quote from: southarkdaddy on March 26, 2018, 09:13:56 am
USSSA is ruining high school baseball

I respect your opinion but disagree.  USSSA has given those that want to play at higher levels a chance to play better players and become better.  The thing that often can ruin a team at the high school level is political issues with parents.  USSSA has created a higher level of baseball. 

Mulerider4Life

High school sports have become pretty political.

T-Bone

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on March 26, 2018, 05:05:04 pm
High school sports have become pretty political.

A good coaching staff will play those that are better equipped to help the team produce wins even if having to pee off parents.  Forget what is going around up in the stands and make sure those players in the dugout work together and understand what you as a coach staff are trying to do.  I have seen great players get shafted due to political pressure on the coaches.  Grade level should not matter.  Parents opinions should not matter.  A team will produce more wins and become more of a team when all players understand what is going on and the plan in progress.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: T-Bone on March 26, 2018, 05:25:09 pm
A good coaching staff will play those that are better equipped to help the team produce wins even if having to pee off parents.  Forget what is going around up in the stands and make sure those players in the dugout work together and understand what you as a coach staff are trying to do.  I have seen great players get shafted due to political pressure on the coaches.  Grade level should not matter.  Parents opinions should not matter.  A team will produce more wins and become more of a team when all players understand what is going on and the plan in progress.

+1

T-Bone

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on March 26, 2018, 09:15:23 pm
+1

Please explain what the +1 or -1 mean?  Hope I don't look to slow but I just have not yet understood what the +/- means.  I did have one word changed.  Meaning I tried twice to post the word p i s s but it changed to pee both times.  Do my points add up and if I reach a certain amount I get booted?

NHSPride

+1 = "like" and I +1 the post as well.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 26, 2018, 04:49:03 pm
I respect your opinion but disagree.  USSSA has given those that want to play at higher levels a chance to play better players and become better.  The thing that often can ruin a team at the high school level is political issues with parents.  USSSA has created a higher level of baseball.

There can be just as much politics at the USSSA level, more if someone's Daddy is involved in the organization. USSSA is fine in the summer, but if the high school team is practicing in the fall or winter, then it's high school season. You know, team first, stick to the plan.

southarkdaddy

Quote from: T-Bone on March 26, 2018, 04:49:03 pm

USSSA has created a show up and play  mentality just like AAU has in basketball.  Baseball isn't being played at a higher level, there is just more exposure because there is more games being played.  Fundamentals are much worse today than they were 10 years ago.  But you know what is higher, the amount of Tommy John surgeries kids under the age of 18 are having.  All so these old men putting together these USSSA travel programs can increase their wealth. 

Not to mention you have try out and travel teams at 8 years old is just ridiculous. 

Mulerider4Life

Right. Really each region of Arkansas should have some kinda of combined league where you don't travel over an hour to play.

ricepig

Quote from: southarkdaddy on March 27, 2018, 09:11:04 am
USSSA has created a show up and play  mentality just like AAU has in basketball.  Baseball isn't being played at a higher level, there is just more exposure because there is more games being played.  Fundamentals are much worse today than they were 10 years ago.  But you know what is higher, the amount of Tommy John surgeries kids under the age of 18 are having.  All so these old men putting together these USSSA travel programs can increase their wealth. 

Not to mention you have try out and travel teams at 8 years old is just ridiculous.

I read a good comment from TCU's head coach today, he said he liked baseball players that played football because in football, you have lots of practice and not many games. The kids need to learn about structured practices and the commitment it takes.

blue4hire

I'm not going to blindly defend USSSA because the money involved has corrupted the system and has definitely created a sense of entitlement among players and parents, but I don't see how you can ignore the correlation between the rise of USSSA in this state about 15 years ago and the increase of D1 players produced that we are seeing now.

ricepig

Quote from: blue4hire on March 27, 2018, 12:38:58 pm
I'm not going to blindly defend USSSA because the money involved has corrupted the system and has definitely created a sense of entitlement among players and parents, but I don't see how you can ignore the correlation between the rise of USSSA in this state about 15 years ago and the increase of D1 players produced that we are seeing now.

No doubt the best players are being exposed to better competition at a younger age for a longer period of time. It definitely has helped the cream rise to the top. Only thing is, 15 years ago a AAA or Major team was definitely something to be on, now days they're commonplace, and I don't think it's all due to the level of play.

blue4hire

Quote from: ricepig on March 27, 2018, 01:31:39 pm
No doubt the best players are being exposed to better competition at a younger age for a longer period of time. It definitely has helped the cream rise to the top. Only thing is, 15 years ago a AAA or Major team was definitely something to be on, now days they're commonplace, and I don't think it's all due to the level of play.
For sure... I remember when there were only two 12 major teams in Arkansas and they would combine the State tournament with Tennessee.

RZback

Sometimes the worst thing going on for school teams is that daddy's coached the younger kids and the summer leagues.  Some kids play because daddy is the coach, the kid and the dad get the idea the kid is better than he or she really is.  Then comes high school and they don't play as much and now the HS coach is a DA and doesn't know what he is doing. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas