• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Freshman

Started by Bruin501, February 08, 2018, 01:27:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruin501

Who are some of the freshman that could possibly be ready to contribute to varsity squads this season? Hard to tell bc PBR won't have rankings on this group for a while.

I'll start with some arms.

Ledbetter from Bryant. Big-time two-way guy. Based on what I know probably the best RHP in this class. Can really hit too.

Arledge from Sheridan - Definitley the best lefty in this class, maybe top overall arm. Can bring it and knows how to pitch.

Jumper from Jonesboro - have never seen him but I have heard a lot of good things.

Bishop from Ashdown - Again don't know much, other than Arkansas offered him. So he must be pretty decent.

NEA Razorback olfan

Tyler Privett  Brookland
Dawson Chester Pocahontas

Bruin501

Totally forgot about Chester. He is a very good player. Allen twins from fayetteville too.

RabidWolf

the LHP/1B at Nashville should be really good

hsindian

Bruin501

Arledge and Jumper have impressive PBR profiles

Mancho Hogo

Ledbetter is the best hitter I've seen.  My son played USSSA ball in this age group although he is in the 10th grade. 
Manning from WR is a freak athlete.  Good glove, hard thrower, power hitter. 
Chester and the kid from Paragould (Forgot his name) are great pitchers.  Both have great form and can shut a team down. .
The kid from Monticello (Forgot his name) is a standout as well.  Tall lefty pitcher. 
Allen twins were always dominant. 
Aldridge (Sp?) is a lefty that throws hard.  Not sure on his bat.  I can't remember.
Jumper is very impressive.  We never played against him but saw him in Memphis one weekend.  Strong arm.  Maybe the strongest of the class
Will French from VV is probably the best position player. 

These are the ones that stood out to me that will all make their varsity teams better.  I can't wait to watch the season unfold. 

RabidWolf

Man. It just blows my mind that guys who have never played in a high school baseball game are receiving D1 offers..and committing. I just dont get it.

T-Bone

Quote from: RabidWolf on February 10, 2018, 08:21:59 pm
Man. It just blows my mind that guys who have never played in a high school baseball game are receiving D1 offers..and committing. I just dont get it.

I feel it has a whole lot to do with travel ball.  Yes it also has some negatives but the best get to often play the best.  In Little League and city ball that is less likely.  The maturity of their game comes quicker.  Just my opinion and there is a place for all leagues since not all want more than to just play the game.

RabidWolf

I dont have a problem with travel/showcase ball. Never have. If a player/parent thinks that's the best way to get exposure. Go for it. Especially those at small schools/or those on weaker teams. My problem is a 14 year old committing. But I guess I'm also involved enough to have a worthy opinion

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RabidWolf on February 10, 2018, 09:30:16 pm
I dont have a problem with travel/showcase ball. Never have. If a player/parent thinks that's the best way to get exposure. Go for it. Especially those at small schools/or those on weaker teams. My problem is a 14 year old committing. But I guess I'm also involved enough to have a worthy opinion

dind't think a 14 y/o could commit....

I'm not a baseball guy either(clicked on this thread by mistake in my unread topics), but it seems that at 14 y/o you see a lot of "early bloomers" in all sports...that either have already hit their ceiling or get complacent and never develop further...

T-Bone

Quote from: RabidWolf on February 10, 2018, 09:30:16 pm

I honestly don't believe a player should verbal commit before junior year but that is only an opinion.  There are some fun sides to recruiting process and there are issues I do not like.

OB11

I saw where the Jumper kid from Jonesboro got an offer from Tennessee. Once that first big time offer comes, just a matter of time before other schools follow suit. It does blow my mind that kids that haven't taken the field for a high school game are getting offers.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: OB11 on February 12, 2018, 09:11:30 am
I saw where the Jumper kid from Jonesboro got an offer from Tennessee. Once that first big time offer comes, just a matter of time before other schools follow suit. It does blow my mind that kids that haven't taken the field for a high school game are getting offers.

Congrats to this young man, sounds like he has a bright future!!

BaseBallDad

February 12, 2018, 11:23:30 am #14 Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:17:53 am by BaseBallDad
I can think of a couple more at the 6 and 7A level that have flown under the radar, but will soon start to be recognized. It should be exciting to see it unfold.

All the names mentioned before are solid and should be on the list. This will be a good class when it's all said and done. Arkansas is producing some talented baseball players and I expect that to continue. You can see it every weekend at a USSSA tourney.

T-Bone

Cross is a great kid and great player.  He will be a big help to JHS over next 4 seasons. 

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: T-Bone on February 12, 2018, 11:28:21 am
Cross is a great kid and great player.  He will be a big help to JHS over next 4 seasons.

My goodness Jonesboro is loaded !!!

Mancho Hogo

February 14, 2018, 09:01:07 am #17 Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:03:38 am by Mancho Hogo
Quote from: Mancho Hogo on February 09, 2018, 08:42:10 am
Ledbetter is the best hitter I've seen.  My son played USSSA ball in this age group although he is in the 10th grade. 
Manning from WR is a freak athlete.  Good glove, hard thrower, power hitter. 
Chester and the kid from Paragould (Forgot his name) are great pitchers.  Both have great form and can shut a team down. .
The kid from Monticello (Forgot his name) is a standout as well.  Tall lefty pitcher. 
Allen twins were always dominant. 
Aldridge (Sp?) is a lefty that throws hard.  Not sure on his bat.  I can't remember.
Jumper is very impressive.  We never played against him but saw him in Memphis one weekend.  Strong arm.  Maybe the strongest of the class
Will French from VV is probably the best position player. 

These are the ones that stood out to me that will all make their varsity teams better.  I can't wait to watch the season unfold.

Talked with a coach at GCT and he said the 9th grade kids name is Cooper Perry and he is very impressive so far.  I was also told the kid from Monticello and Jumper have MLB potential.  Also Greenbrier has a very good tall freshmen pitcher. 

Mancho Hogo

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on February 12, 2018, 11:48:21 am
My goodness Jonesboro is loaded !!!

Joneboro may have the best freshmen class in the state.  There are multiple high level major players and about 10 AAA players on the freshmen team.

Bruin501

The future is all about Jonesboro and Sheridan in 6A. Absolutely loaded 9-10th groups.

The kid from Monticello is Nick Griffin. He's a 10th grader.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Mancho Hogo on February 14, 2018, 09:04:54 am
Joneboro may have the best freshmen class in the state.  There are multiple high level major players and about 10 AAA players on the freshmen team.

Jonesboro is definitely a team to watch !!!
Really like watching the talent we have in this area!!

ricepig

Yep, got an offer from Arkansas yesterday.

NEA Razorback olfan

February 17, 2018, 03:40:51 pm #22 Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:44:38 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: ricepig on February 17, 2018, 03:26:51 pm
Yep, got an offer from Arkansas yesterday.

Congrats to Jumper!!!

Who all from Jonesboro has signed or committed and where to Ricepig?

ricepig

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on February 17, 2018, 03:40:51 pm
Congrats to Jumper!!!

Who all from Jonesboro has signed or committed and where to Ricepig?
Not sure, T-Bone probably has a better idea than I do. Polston is playing D-2 somewhere in state, and Neves is committed to the Hogs, that's all I know of.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: ricepig on February 18, 2018, 03:43:09 pm
Not sure, T-Bone probably has a better idea than I do. Polston is playing D-2 somewhere in state, and Neves is committed to the Hogs, that's all I know of.

I believe Poston is committed to SAU.

T-Bone

February 18, 2018, 05:05:09 pm #25 Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:47:11 pm by T-Bone
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 18, 2018, 04:25:51 pm
I believe Poston is committed to SAU.

C. Poston (SR)(JHS) - written SAU
ZR. Neves (JR)(JHS) - verbal UofA (ASU/MTSU/Semo/others)
C. Jumper (FR)(JHS) - offered UofA/Tennesse/MTSU

PJ Hilson (SR)(Nettleton) - written Alabama

Others that will get opportunities but that is all I know now.  But do you know what all that I listed means?  Not a dang thing if they don't produce and keep getting better.  All great kids with great parents on good teams but at this time it is only a label and the players should always work to get better.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: T-Bone on February 18, 2018, 05:05:09 pm

C. Poston (SR)(JHS) - written SAU
ZR. Neves (JR)(JHS) - verbal UofA (ASU/MTSU/Semo/others)
C. Jumper (FR)(JHS) - offered UofA/Tennesse/MTSU

PJ Hilson (SR)(Nettleton) - written Alabama

Others that will get opportunities but that is all I know now.  But do you know what all that I listed means?  Not a dang thing if they don't produce and keep getting better.  All great kids with great parents on good teams but at this time it is only a label and the players should always work to get better.

Very good point T-Bone!!

ChampKind

Bishop from Ashdown has got to be in the conversation about best freshmen in the state.  Explosive swing and great athleticism.  Projects well as an OF or LHP with a FB topping out in the mid 80s already.   

Bruin501

PBR Profile Impressive Stats on Freshman ...

Exit Velos:

Arledge/Sheridan 87
Jaggers/Monticello 87
Hosman/Jonesboro 86
Bishop/Ashdown 85
Gordon/Nashville 85
Bentley/Jonesboro 84
Jumper/Jonesboro 84
Combs/Springdale 82
Dorsey/Sheridan 81
Oliphant/Searcy 81

60's
Jumper/Jonesboro 7.0
Bentley/Jonesboro 7.1
French/Valley View 7.1
Gordon/Nashville 7.2
Combs/Springdale 7.3
Bowman/LR Christian 7.3

FB
Jumper and Arledge are the only 2021s to record an 80+ mph FB on PBR. But there's a lot more kids that are throwing 80. Jumper all the way up to 87 at PBR deal earlier this year. I saw Arledge hit 85 at Proformance in Little Rock last month during my son's lesson. Chester no clue but it's definitely 80. Ledbetter same. He was easy 80 at 14U. Sawyer Bentley has an 80 mph FB via PG. Both Allen boys are verified 85+. There's several more. I just can't say b/c these are the only ones that I know for fact are there.

Ready for the season. Wonder which of these guys will impact their varsity teams this year? I'd have to think Bishop, Chester, and Jaggers will be instant players for their teams. Jumper, Bentley, the Allens, Arledge, Ledbetter all attend big schools, most of which appear to be loaded with talent. But I bet they make their ways onto the varsity squad and get some PT, too.

BW2281

There are a few more boys that due to Bottoms being let go the site was not updates correctly.  I coach a 14U team with a few freshman that chose to play travel ball due to very small schools.  I have 2 in the 80+ region and a few high 70's bumping 80 at times.  Several I seen with 80+ EV .  The few 2021-2022 class coming up will be hard to handle.

Rick Swines

Saw in the paper where Cole  manning from walnut ridge went 6 innings and struck out 9 and cooper Pieri from Gct went 5 innings and struck out 8. Both giving up just 1 run in wins.

NEA Razorback olfan

So far Brookland's Tyler Privett has done pretty well , 11 games  .451 slug Avg, 4-2b 1-3b, 7bb

Rick Swines

Austin Ledbetter has committed to arkansas. Imo he is the top hitting freshman in the state.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Rick Swines on April 08, 2018, 08:38:38 am
Austin Ledbetter has committed to arkansas. Imo he is the top hitting freshman in the state.

Congrats to this young man

DillyDilly

Just a word of caution, anyone can commit to a school, does not mean the school has even made and offer, second offers are not worth a thing until the NLOC is signed. A school can back out of ANY offer until then and it happens a lot.

NEA Razorback olfan

Congrats to Brookland's Tyler Privett being selected as the Ticket 95.3 player of the Week going 4-5 vs Harrisburg , raised BA up to .327 ,slug .538 with 7 doubles and 2 triples for the year

T-Bone

Quote from: DillyDilly on April 09, 2018, 11:34:35 am
Just a word of caution, anyone can commit to a school, does not mean the school has even made and offer, second offers are not worth a thing until the NLOC is signed. A school can back out of ANY offer until then and it happens a lot.

Absolutely!  Either can back out at any time even though it will most likely be the university first if it happens.  Never stop working and always be ready for anything.  An offer is great.  A commitment is great.  But nothing is set in stone. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas