• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A Way-to-early Top 10 (2018 season)

Started by MR#1, January 16, 2018, 01:37:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MR#1

With the re-classification of a several schools for next year, what would a '3A Way-to-early Top 10' look like?

beach bum

January 16, 2018, 05:47:31 pm #1 Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:51:15 pm by beach bum
I won't make a ranking 1-10 but I know the western half of the state well enough to feel like I can pick the teams who may be able to be top 10 teams by the end of the season in 3A. Here is a list of potential teams below and a dark horse team for each of the leagues. I think each year we go in with about 20-22 teams battling it out to become top 10 teams by the end of the year. Below I think are some of those teams.

1-3A
1)Booneville- I think we can comfortably say top 2 team overall in 3A
2)Charleston- lose a lot, but tradition alone should keep them top 10 worthy
3)Lamar- dark horse to win a playoff game or even two, they'll be improved

2-3A
1.Clinton
2.Harding Academy- both them and Clinton will be solid again
3.Melbourne- I don't think they'll end up in the top 10, but they've been making steady improvement as a program so I'll take them as the dark horse out of the 2-3A

4-3A
1.Mayflower- There is potential here to be a top 4 overall team in 3A, we will see though
2.Glen Rose
3.Atkins- they'll be right on that fringe of top 10 or crack it barely again
4.Danville- not really a dark horse cause we know this program is steady and always good, more of a wild card not knowing how they will transition back to 3A, but the potential is there. The 4-3A will be a tightly contested league out of these 3 conferences

CoolBreeze

Quote from: beach bum on January 16, 2018, 05:47:31 pm
I won't make a ranking 1-10 but I know the western half of the state well enough to feel like I can pick the teams who may be able to be top 10 teams by the end of the season in 3A. Here is a list of potential teams below and a dark horse team for each of the leagues. I think each year we go in with about 20-22 teams battling it out to become top 10 teams by the end of the year. Below I think are some of those teams.

1-3A
1)Booneville- I think we can comfortably say top 2 team overall in 3A
2)Charleston- lose a lot, but tradition alone should keep them top 10 worthy

2-3A
1.Clinton
2.Harding Academy- both them and Clinton will be solid again
3.Melbourne- I don't think they'll end up in the top 10, but they've been making steady improvement as a program so I'll take them as the dark horse out of the 2-3A

4-3A
1.Mayflower- There is potential here to be a top 4 overall team in 3A, we will see though
2.Glen Rose
3.Atkins- they'll be right on that fringe of top 10 or crack it barely again
4.Danville- not really a dark horse cause we know this program is steady and always good, more of a wild card not knowing how they will transition back to 3A, but the potential is there. The 4-3A will be a tightly contested league out of these 3 conferences
I agree with your assessment of the 2-3A. Clinton has to be the favorite after their success last year. HA will return Davis Morgan at QB but will lose their top 3 receivers; however, they always manage to have a stable filled with guys who can catch the ball. So, they should reload and be ready to compete for the top spot in the conference.

beach bum

Quote from: CoolBreeze on January 17, 2018, 01:48:46 pm
I agree with your assessment of the 2-3A. Clinton has to be the favorite after their success last year. HA will return Davis Morgan at QB but will lose their top 3 receivers; however, they always manage to have a stable filled with guys who can catch the ball. So, they should reload and be ready to compete for the top spot in the conference.

Yea, I didn't want to make a top 10 in any order cause its just so hard to pick a top 10 at this time of year not knowing exactly what a team may look like come fall. Outside maybe 3 or 4 schools that we know will be top 10 quality, there are about 15 others who could get in that level of a team. I really wonder what some posters from the 5-3A, 6-3A, and 3-3A think when it comes to teams in their conference they see with potential to crack the top 10. I know Mcgehee, Prescott, and Osceola will be good again but others will know more details about the other 3 leagues top to bottom. Rivercrest exiting the 3-3A will hurt the dominance they had as a conference just slightly. They'll still be solid though overall.

501Arkansas

Newport will still be pretty good, I know their big running back Joe Broadus coming back.. Osceola still will be pretty good even though we are losing some big time seniors. Newport and Osceola will be running the table since Rivercrest moving to 4a

snoopy22

January 18, 2018, 12:50:12 pm #5 Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:43:21 am by snoopy22
5-3A Top 3.....No particular order.  Prescott, Camden Harmony Grove, and Smackover.
6-3A Top 3.....In order, McGehee, Rison, and Barton.

These two conferences should produce six good teams for the playoffs.
These should be good teams as well.
Booneville, Charleston, Harding Academy, Clinton, Danville, Mayflower, Glen Rose, Newport, Osceola, Hoxie.

That's 16 potentially good teams.  After the strongest 3A season ever, in 2017 it appears that 2018 will follow it up as another strong year.

beach bum

Quote from: snoopy22 on January 18, 2018, 12:50:12 pm
5-3A Top 3.....No particular order.  Prescott, Camden Harmony Grove, and Smackover.
6-3A Top 3.....In order, McGehee, Rison, and Fordyce.

Booneville, Charleston, Harding Academy, Barton, Clinton, Mayflower, Glen Rose, Newport, Osceola, Hoxie.

That's 16 potentially good teams.  After the strongest 3A season ever, in 2017 it appears that 2018 will follow it up as another strong year.

Thanks for the input on the other conferences. I wonder how well Rison and Camden HG will transition back to 3A ball. They're definitely the wild card teams from the southern part of the state. They could go either direction and really surprise and go deep in the postseason, but also just as easily could have a little bit of a disappointment of a season.

Jimbo Morphis

Booneville, Charleston, Harding Academy, Barton, Clinton, Mayflower, Glen Rose, Newport, Osceola, Hoxie.

Pretty sure Fordyce is now 2a

young_gun

It'll be hard for Fordyce to finish third in that conference when they will be in 2A. Danville moves back up to 3A after two years in 2A. They will return 10 starters on both sides of the football and 6 of those will be 3 year starters as seniors. Lack of depth for 3A may give them trouble but the talent level is there.

young_gun

It'll be hard for Fordyce to finish third in that conference when they will be in 2A. Danville moves back up to 3A after two years in 2A. They will return 10 starters on both sides of the football and 6 of those will be 3 year starters as seniors. Lack of depth for 3A may give them trouble but the talent level is there.

HorseFeathers

Doesn't Mayflower lose all of their offense, and now their hc?

HG Hornet

January 18, 2018, 09:07:50 pm #11 Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:15:55 pm by CHG Hornet
Quote from: beach bum on January 18, 2018, 01:17:18 pm
Thanks for the input on the other conferences. I wonder how well Rison and Camden HG will transition back to 3A ball. They're definitely the wild card teams from the southern part of the state. They could go either direction and really surprise and go deep in the postseason, but also just as easily could have a little bit of a disappointment of a season.
CHG was loaded with talented seniors, two of those making All State, and most of the others were three year starters with a lot of experience.  That was a big reason why the Hornets made it to round 4 of the playoffs two years in a row.  With that being said, our underclassmen made huge contributions all year long for us this year and that experience will carry over to next year without a doubt.  Is CHG a top 10 team?.......probably not, but they will be a playoff team that has the experience to go deep in the playoffs. 

CHG vs Prescott, CHG vs Smackover, Prescott vs Smackover will decide the 1,2,3 spots in the 3A-5.  Right now, I would have to give the nod for first place to Prescott, but we shall see how it plays out next September.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 18, 2018, 08:20:10 pm
Doesn't Mayflower lose all of their offense, and now their hc?
I believe the twins will be back.

Jimbo Morphis

HorseFeathers

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: beach bum on January 16, 2018, 05:47:31 pm
1-3A

I figure the Warriors will be better. They have had a couple of down years, but they had some good young kids and Doc should have them better.

snoopy22

January 22, 2018, 09:38:14 am #16 Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:42:54 am by snoopy22
Sorry, I amended the Fordyce third place finish to Barton.....Hard to believe Fordyce dropped from 4A not very long ago and now they are dropping to 2A.  I forgot about them dropping down.  I added Danville to make 16.

Leo Marvin

Newport has most of their firepower back for next year.  Should be a great year!! 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas