• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Searcy vs Jonesboro

Started by Bigred18, October 17, 2017, 12:33:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigred18

I got Searcy by 6 in a interesting game

ricepig

Very interesting game, for sure. Jonesboro has their backs against the wall, and like others, injuries have taken their toll. Down to the third string RB, who looks like he walked off the 8th grade game to play. The kid has some speece, but you would have preferred he got his chance next year. Hopefully the move one of last year's RB's back to that position from WR. We're struggling there too, but a running game is more important, IMO. I think it will have to be a shoot out for Jonesboro to win, Searcy has the advantage with their passing attack against the Cane's secondary.

zebradynasty

I think Searcy gets this one! I don't think Jonesboro's secondary can cover Searcy's WR's. Note to Searcy:  Please don't play that PA no punting stuff! Z's should have made you pay for it more than what we did. Leave that mess in 5A!

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on October 17, 2017, 03:03:06 pm
I think Searcy gets this one! I don't think Jonesboro's secondary can cover Searcy's WR's. Note to Searcy:  Please don't play that PA no punting stuff! Z's should have made you pay for it more than what we did. Leave that mess in 5A!

Well, we don't send anyone back to field a punt........

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 03:12:35 pm
Well, we don't send anyone back to field a punt........

We didn't either but 4th and 9 inside your own 30! ??? It worked a few times but that's dangerous against a quality opponent. Maybe since we don't kick field goals they figured the odds where in their favor.

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on October 17, 2017, 04:16:49 pm
We didn't either but 4th and 9 inside your own 30! ??? It worked a few times but that's dangerous against a quality opponent. Maybe since we don't kick field goals they figured the odds where in their favor.

I can't understand not sending someone back to field a punt, everyone has a baseball player, usually someone who's played the outfield, just wave your hand and fair catch it, save about 100+ yards a game in field position.

Wildcat Football

Both teams duking it out for #3 seed, I'll take Searcy in this game but both teams likely will be out after round 2 of playoffs.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 04:26:44 pm
I can't understand not sending someone back to field a punt, everyone has a baseball player, usually someone who's played the outfield, just wave your hand and fair catch it, save about 100+ yards a game in field position.
We normally put someone back but since we weren't sure what Searcy was going to do...we didn't. But even when we put someone back if you have a good punter I doubt we'll field it can't seem to catch punts.

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on October 17, 2017, 04:35:35 pm
We normally put someone back but since we weren't sure what Searcy was going to do...we didn't. But even when we put someone back if you have a good punter I doubt we'll field it can't seem to catch punts.

Yeah, that's why you get some kid that plays outfield back there, they are use to catching fly balls, very similar. I don't think PA puts anyone back, so it must be the trendy thing to do.

OB11

I personally would not put anyone back to field a punt. Maybe every now and then if I had to. But if no one tries to catch it, there is zero chance for a muffed punt. I'll take it on the one every time if I have to over giving the other team the ball.

ricepig

Quote from: OB11 on October 18, 2017, 08:59:36 am
I personally would not put anyone back to field a punt. Maybe every now and then if I had to. But if no one tries to catch it, there is zero chance for a muffed punt. I'll take it on the one every time if I have to over giving the other team the ball.

If you can't coach someone up to catch a punt, what are you doing coaching football? If you can't find someone you can trust to fair catch a punt, well.....

OB11

I've got no doubt that someone on every team can catch a punt consistently...I'm just looking at probability. Dropping a punt can be a huge momentum changer and usually puts your defense in a bad spot. Almost no high school player would be %100 on fielding punts. I would just avoid that chance altogether and take what I get.

ricepig

Quote from: OB11 on October 18, 2017, 01:14:54 pm
I've got no doubt that someone on every team can catch a punt consistently...I'm just looking at probability. Dropping a punt can be a huge momentum changer and usually puts your defense in a bad spot. Almost no high school player would be %100 on fielding punts. I would just avoid that chance altogether and take what I get.

So, giving up 100's of yards in field position is worth that chance? I guess if you're not stopping someone but twice, maybe three times a game, it's probably not something you should be spending time on, taking away from preparing your defense.

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on October 18, 2017, 02:42:41 pm
So, giving up 100's of yards in field position is worth that chance? I guess if you're not stopping someone but twice, maybe three times a game, it's probably not something you should be spending time on, taking away from preparing your defense.

Personally, yes. That would be worth it to me.

ricepig

Jonesboro suffered it's first two game conference losing streak under Coleman with the back to back losses against PB and WM, will it extend to three?

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on October 20, 2017, 07:40:03 am
Jonesboro suffered it's first two game conference losing streak under Coleman with the back to back losses against PB and WM, will it extend to three?

We can win or lose any given Friday but we have a good chance of a win if we have a plan to pressure the QB.  Playing away is never good to me but we can win.  We started the year like so many other schools with talent.  We still have some talent but losing two top RB's, top LB and one of our top QB's is a major blow.  A lot of schools have lost some great players for the year.  I don't think the coaches have as much to do with the two losses as the injuries.  One thing about tonight is both teams get to play in real football weather.  Not hot and not to cold.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on October 20, 2017, 12:34:34 pm
We can win or lose any given Friday but we have a good chance of a win if we have a plan to pressure the QB.  Playing away is never good to me but we can win.  We started the year like so many other schools with talent.  We still have some talent but losing two top RB's, top LB and one of our top QB's is a major blow.  A lot of schools have lost some great players for the year.  I don't think the coaches have as much to do with the two losses as the injuries.  One thing about tonight is both teams get to play in real football weather.  Not hot and not to cold.

Well, I could see RB being a position that might have factored into last week's loss, but it's up to the coaching staff to have replacements. We have a starting RB  from last year playing WR, they could have made that switch before the PB game, IMO. We went several games without one of the QB's last year and did fine, so I don't think that's an excuse. Anyway, good luck to the Canes tonight!

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on October 20, 2017, 01:03:01 pm
Well, I could see RB being a position that might have factored into last week's loss, but it's up to the coaching staff to have replacements. We have a starting RB  from last year playing WR, they could have made that switch before the PB game, IMO. We went several games without one of the QB's last year and did fine, so I don't think that's an excuse. Anyway, good luck to the Canes tonight!

A loss is a loss.  No excuse needed to decide W or L.  I just want a good game from both teams.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas