• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Proposed 4A Conference 2018-19

Started by Brian G, June 07, 2017, 01:54:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

westhelena1

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: westhelena1 on July 30, 2017, 08:52:04 pm
The hearing was a farce.  Helena-West Helena clearly showed that while miles might be slightly shorter in the 8, the travel time was shorter for HWH in the 2.  This is all based on Google Maps.  AAA only had mileage estimates from MapQuest with no consideration for time.  Helena-West Helena has had its conference changed five times in the last six cycles.  Today, all they wanted to talk about was mileage.  No one cared too much about mileage in 2011 when they put Helena-West Helena in the 5A Central and Beebe in the East when HWH would have had shorter travel time in the East and Beebe's travel time would have been over 60% less in the Central.  The Board member from Beebe even had the audacity to say it was shorter for Beebe then in the East going to Blytheville and Greene County Tech instead of PA and LR McClellan.  HWH was the only non-Pulaski County School in that conference that cycle instead of getting to go to Forrest City and Wynne.  There is no way anyone with a conscience can say what the AAA does to the Cougars resembles anything closer to fair.  In fact, it looks like they go out of their way every two years to put the screws to Helena-West Helena to help some district with more political clout.
The reason travel time isn't used is because there are too many variables.
Let's say you drive an average of 55 mph on one of those trips, but I drive an average of 63 mph. Obviously, I will get there faster (provided I don't get pulled over the process, of course, for driving that fast on some of those roads). You can't use time travel because too many people drive too many different speeds.
However, distance is more of a constant. The only way you change distance is to go a different route. If your trip mileage is different than the ones I've brought up, then obviously you're taking the longer route.

cuckoobird

Maybe HWHC bus drivers would take Guvhogs route to star city

SUGARTOWN

I think the easy solution for HWH would be to put them in a conference with Barton, Marianna, DeWitt, Earle, Brinkley, Palestine-Wheatley and Clarendon as to alleviate the long trips for them since they're the only school in the state that has them........

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: westhelena1 on July 30, 2017, 08:52:04 pm
The hearing was a farce.  Helena-West Helena clearly showed that while miles might be slightly shorter in the 8, the travel time was shorter for HWH in the 2.  This is all based on Google Maps.  AAA only had mileage estimates from MapQuest with no consideration for time.  Helena-West Helena has had its conference changed five times in the last six cycles.  Today, all they wanted to talk about was mileage.  No one cared too much about mileage in 2011 when they put Helena-West Helena in the 5A Central and Beebe in the East when HWH would have had shorter travel time in the East and Beebe's travel time would have been over 60% less in the Central.  The Board member from Beebe even had the audacity to say it was shorter for Beebe then in the East going to Blytheville and Greene County Tech instead of PA and LR McClellan.  HWH was the only non-Pulaski County School in that conference that cycle instead of getting to go to Forrest City and Wynne.  There is no way anyone with a conscience can say what the AAA does to the Cougars resembles anything closer to fair.  In fact, it looks like they go out of their way every two years to put the screws to Helena-West Helena to help some district with more political clout.
It baffles the mind at the logic they use sometimes.

Come on down to the 4A-8, we all had the screws put to us by the AAA in one way or another down here. You'll be in good company.

westhelena1

It's been a long time since I have been to Crossett and even longer since you have been to Helena. It isn't what we wanted and we don't believe it makes sense, but it will be good to see you again and meet many new great people across south Arkansas.  However, I am a little older so a hotel stay may be required after a broadcast on the trip now 😀

Eddie Goodson

Well, we will have a brand new hotel opening in time for the 2018 football season. And I will give you a tour of the new school and gym when you come.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: westhelena1 on July 25, 2017, 03:00:16 pm
Our argument will include multiple reasons why we should stay where we are and clearly Stuttgart is a better fit to go to Warren than we are. I just pray the AAA Board of Directors is reasonable.

What were your "multiple reasons" why you should stay where you are?

westhelena1

They were either in our submitted packet or outlined by the Superintendent at our appeal hearing.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on July 30, 2017, 09:10:37 pm
The reason travel time isn't used is because there are too many variables.
Let's say you drive an average of 55 mph on one of those trips, but I drive an average of 63 mph. Obviously, I will get there faster (provided I don't get pulled over the process, of course, for driving that fast on some of those roads). You can't use time travel because too many people drive too many different speeds.
However, distance is more of a constant. The only way you change distance is to go a different route. If your trip mileage is different than the ones I've brought up, then obviously you're taking the longer route.

Travel time is a much better method.  100 miles on the interstate is an hour and a half while 100 miles down highway 71 is two hours, and there are much worse highways in Arkansas.  The difference in driving a bus on a similar route would be even greater.

SouthpawSensation

August 01, 2017, 08:08:40 am #160 Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:33:33 am by SouthpawSensation
Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on July 31, 2017, 10:43:45 pm
Travel time is a much better method.  100 miles on the interstate is an hour and a half while 100 miles down highway 71 is two hours, and there are much worse highways in Arkansas.  The difference in driving a bus on a similar route would be even greater.
Maybe true, but again, all drivers don't drive the same speed. Therefore, travel time immediately becomes a shaky variable.
You may enjoy driving comfortable with both feet on the floor and disregard all speed limits. But I don't, especially since I don't want a ticket and hurt my driving record, and there could be lives inside the vehicle that are my responsibility.
Road construction, weather, accidents, a flat tire or other vehicle malfunctions (or uh oh, getting pulled over by a cop!!!) all will affect somebody's travel time. A person like you, around Northwest Arkansas, should know what that's like driving on Interstate 49 around 5 p.m. on a Friday, compared to driving that same area around 10:30 a.m. on a Monday. Same distance, but your time will be altered greatly.
What if somebody felt fine when the trip started, but suddenly gets sick along the way and causes the bus to stop before he starts throwing up all over the place? That will affect your travel time, but travel distance isn't affected that way.
The length of the trip always remains the same unless the driver chooses another route (which is his option). Even stopping at a drive-thru to get something to eat will add to travel time, but the only way it adds to travel distance is if a person chooses to go off the beaten path. That's why travel distance is used.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on August 01, 2017, 08:08:40 am
Maybe true, but again, all drivers don't drive the same speed. Therefore, travel time immediately becomes a shaky variable.
You may enjoy driving comfortable with both feet on the floor and disregard all speed limits. But I don't, especially since I don't want a ticket and hurt my driving record, and there could be lives inside the vehicle that are my responsibility.
Road construction, weather, accidents, a flat tire or other vehicle malfunctions (or uh oh, getting pulled over by a cop!!!) all will affect somebody's travel time. A person like you, around Northwest Arkansas, should know what that's like driving on Interstate 49 around 5 p.m. on a Friday, compared to driving that same area around 10:30 a.m. on a Monday. Same distance, but your time will be altered greatly.
What if somebody felt fine when the trip started, but suddenly gets sick along the way and causes the bus to stop before he starts throwing up all over the place? That will affect your travel time, but travel distance isn't affected that way.
The length of the trip always remains the same unless the driver chooses another route (which is his option). Even stopping at a drive-thru to get something to eat will add to travel time, but the only way it adds to travel distance is if a person chooses to go off the beaten path. That's why travel distance is used.
Overthink much?

AirWarren

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on July 31, 2017, 10:43:45 pm

The Guv guide to mileage and travel is the best route to go.

Warren to Mcgehee. Just go to Dumas. Cross into Mississippi somehow, head south to lake village then north to mcgehee.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Oldman on August 01, 2017, 12:38:16 pm
Overthink much?
I prefer calling it "lessons in travel life" ... comes from experience.

green-eagle

travel time and routing is subjective, since WHW may travel through Stuttgart to play teams such as Warren, Monticello, Hamburg and Crossett, since the route is easier and a much better road...

this one thing, should play in the AAA minds ... why should a team travel through a 4a-2 team's town to play another 4a-8 team...there is not good route from Crossett to WHW by the way of Monticello-Dumas-Dewitt....

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: green-eagle on August 01, 2017, 03:16:07 pm
travel time and routing is subjective, since WHW may travel through Stuttgart to play teams such as Warren, Monticello, Hamburg and Crossett, since the route is easier and a much better road...

this one thing, should play in the AAA minds ... why should a team travel through a 4a-2 team's town to play another 4a-8 team...there is not good route from Crossett to WHW by the way of Monticello-Dumas-Dewitt....

In no way should they go through Stuttgart to get to Crossett (or any other team in the 8-4A). It would add 25 miles and at least 30 minutes of travel time. The easiest route and shortest route is HWH-DeWitt-Dumas-Monticello-Crossett.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: green-eagle on August 01, 2017, 03:16:07 pm

3a-1 schools have driving through/past 3a-4 schools for quite a while now

Brian G

I think each school needs a plane.

Of course where to land it might be a problem.

AirWarren

Quote from: B.G. on August 01, 2017, 04:07:01 pm
I think each school needs a plane.

Of course where to land it might be a problem.

President Clinton and Air Force one landed in Warren in 1998. Bring on whatever plane you got.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: AirWarren on August 01, 2017, 04:07:46 pm
President Clinton and Air Force one landed in Warren in 1998. Bring on whatever plane you got.

I can see how this would work for those smaller schools with financial issues now...

cuckoobird

Remind me to never travel anywhere with greeneagle or guvhog. Their route planning is atrocious. Do you both of y'all work for the government perhaps?

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: cuckoobird on August 01, 2017, 05:41:31 pm
Remind me to never travel anywhere with greeneagle or guvhog. Their route planning is atrocious. Do you both of y'all work for the government perhaps?
Let me guess ... you'll hear this quote at one point or another?
"We're lost, but we're making great time!"

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 01, 2017, 03:49:24 pm
In no way should they go through Stuttgart to get to Crossett (or any other team in the 8-4A). It would add 25 miles and at least 30 minutes of travel time. The easiest route and shortest route is HWH-DeWitt-Dumas-Monticello-Crossett.
No. The easiest and fastest route is down Miss Hwy 1 to Greenville and US 82 to Crossett. And that is the stinking issue. When you have to leave the state to get to your opponent, something is wrong.

AirWarren

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on August 01, 2017, 07:29:58 pm
No. The easiest and fastest route is down Miss Hwy 1 to Greenville and US 82 to Crossett. And that is the stinking issue. When you have to leave the state to get to your opponent, something is wrong.

Actually, that route is 3 minutes longer than staying on Arkansas roads Haha.

SouthpawSensation

Oh dear ... we better not tell people in Gosnell that! They've already been going into Missouri just to get to Pocahontas or Highland for conference games all these years!!!!

bigchief72455

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on August 01, 2017, 07:40:14 pm
Oh dear ... we better not tell people in Gosnell that! They've already been going into Missouri just to get to Pocahontas or Highland for conference games all these years!!!!
And I am pretty sure its a cultyre shock when they leave the flatlands and enter the hills. Lol

EagleForLife12

+1 Like GE said....there is no easy route from Crossett to HWH

cuckoobird

Now let's add Eddie to my list of people to never listen to directions from. Lord help you guys

SUGARTOWN

August 02, 2017, 08:18:50 am #178 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:16:53 am by SUGARTOWN
The route I've mentioned is about as straight as you'll get in this part of the state. If ya'll think that's a difficult route maybe you shouldn't be driving.

If anybody should be complaining about long trips it should be Siloam Springs. They have El Dorado (6 hours) and Texarkana (5 hours) on their schedule so they have to make one of these trips EVERY YEAR, not every other year like HWH.

Gray lizard

I have often wondered if there was some way they could work out neutral site games.  If so this could cut travel time and expense for a lot of schools.  After all half of all football fields are empty every Friday night.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Gray lizard on August 02, 2017, 09:57:04 am
I have often wondered if there was some way they could work out neutral site games.  If so this could cut travel time and expense for a lot of schools.  After all half of all football fields are empty every Friday night.

Schools are greedy though.....Two rivers didn't get their field completed in time for last season and played every game on the road.....and at least one school charged them, plus kept gate and concession.

green-eagle

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 01, 2017, 03:49:24 pm

NOW, NOW just because the shortest and your opinion the easiest route is HWH-DeWitt-Dumas -Monticello to Hamburg or Crossett, it IS NOT the best.....all roads East of Monticello are terrible, no shoulders, deep ditches, blind curves and more...

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: green-eagle on August 02, 2017, 10:10:02 am
NOW, NOW just because the shortest and your opinion the easiest route is HWH-DeWitt-Dumas -Monticello to Hamburg or Crossett, it IS NOT the best.....all roads East of Monticello are terrible, no shoulders, deep ditches, blind curves and more...

Is there an interstate down there that I'm missing seeing on the map?

green-eagle

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 02, 2017, 10:28:10 am
Is there an interstate down there that I'm missing seeing on the map?

nope you are right and it is the shortest route, but the proposed route from Dumas to Monticello is terrible, travel speed of some 50 mph in the day.... in others words, there is not good roads between Dumas to Monticello or Dumas to Star city for that matter. I know that school buses travel this road everyday, but this road would not be my first chose to travel to  HWH from crossett....When we play Dumas, Crossett's buses and fans travel east on 82 to Montrose and then turn north on 165 to Dermott... not the shortest, but its by far the safest and fastest.....as from foundation Hill to Crossett, I found it's just as quick to travel to Hamburg and then west on 82...far less curves.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: AirWarren on August 01, 2017, 07:39:23 pm
Actually, that route is 3 minutes longer than staying on Arkansas roads Haha.
I have driven everyone of those routes. I know what I speak of.  The easiest and fastest route for a school bus is through Mississippi.

Eddie Goodson

No team is going to miss the gate of a home game. Way too much money lost.

Wahls

August 03, 2017, 05:18:13 am #186 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:36:59 am by Wahls

I wish there was a really easy way to do something like this. Seems like this would solve a lot of these issues.

The AAA would have to setup some sort of incentive system for all involved to make it happen, though. So the hosting gets a small cut, and the home team gets the majority. Or work something out where if Texarkana and Siloam Springs takes 40% each of gate and concessions every year, and the host takes 20% or something.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas