• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AAA classification for 2018

Started by Coltfan2005, May 03, 2017, 02:08:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coltfan2005

2018 classification numbers are out. 3-3A gets the gift of not having to play the Colts and welcoming Harrisburg back.

Proud Buckaroo

Making it be a pretty bad conference... Piggot will now run away with it.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on May 03, 2017, 02:11:09 pm
Making it be a pretty bad conference... Piggot will now run away with it.

The mohawks have always been the hardest hitting team in 3a ;)

Coltfan2005

Piggott has picked up in the past two years, beating Rivercrest last year. They also just placed second in the 3A state weight lifting comp. But there is still Newport. Booneville will also be moving down into 3A somewhere.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on May 03, 2017, 05:31:34 pm
Piggott has picked up in the past two years, beating Rivercrest last year. They also just placed second in the 3A state weight lifting comp. But there is still Newport. Booneville will also be moving down into 3A somewhere.

I forgot about Newport being in that conference. For some reason.

Head Lion

I sure am going to miss the Colts. 😂😂😂😂

Proud Buckaroo

Numbers are going to be appealed...JC appears to be one of them.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on May 03, 2017, 07:50:12 pm
Numbers are going to be appealed...JC appears to be one of them.

If the numbers Bleu dog linked in mmqb thread are right, can't say that I blame them

Coltfan2005

JC tired of the big boys already? According to AAA they are about 15-20 spots above the highest 2A school.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on May 03, 2017, 08:28:53 pm
JC tired of the big boys already? According to AAA they are about 15-20 spots above the highest 2A school.

If they are 30 students off from the numbers released... They will go back to 2A next cycle. If the appeal goes through.

Coltfan2005

Little confused. Aren't the numbers AAA is using the very same numbers JC provided the state?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on May 03, 2017, 08:41:48 pm
Little confused. Aren't the numbers AAA is using the very same numbers JC provided the state?

Bleudog posted on the mmqb board that it appears that the AAA doubled the Louisiana numbers

Coltfan2005

according to the numbers JUNCTION CITY provided for their student count grades 10-12,  they are still above the cut off for 3A. Would be the second smallest school. If 9th graders are counted it would add 50. Not sure what Junction Cities problem is, should every team in the bottom 2 of each class whine and appeal? Last year all I heard was how that jc would dominate 3A ball. Come to the cotton patch we told them, it'll be fun! Now they want to take their ball and go home. Bleu dog may be right about AAA idiots counting kids twice, but he is off on the numbers even then. It is about 30, but two things addd to that. 1. There are far more than 30 kids crossing the state line to get to Junction City, so the doubling thing makes no sense. 2. They still fall into 3A BY THEIR OWN report.

Proud Buckaroo

....well, the numbers were 30 kids off. They have counted 209 students from 10-12 grade.

You take 30 kids away from that. It's 179 students.

Proud Buckaroo

Which would put them right between Salem and parkers chapel.

blueandwhite

Why is there such a passion to have equal size conferences and classifications. Just do local geographic conferences, and let the schools decide those. Than at the year divide up into classes, that have equal number of teams and play it out

Proud Buckaroo

It's all based off of AAA regulations.

Proud Buckaroo

And school board members vote open changes.

One reason fouke and Genoa central got shafted out of moving to 3A-5 because of the good ole boy system..It's all about who you know and who you..... 😗

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on May 04, 2017, 11:11:52 am
....well, the numbers were 30 kids off. They have counted 209 students from 10-12 grade.

You take 30 kids away from that. It's 179 students.

10-12 isn't the grades they use for the average though...it's 9-11

bigchief72455

Quote from: Head Lion on May 03, 2017, 06:39:13 pm
I sure am going to miss the Colts. 😂😂😂😂
Its ok. The 4A will welcome them with open arms.

OB11

Quote from: bigchief72455 on May 04, 2017, 12:33:30 pm
Its ok. The 4A will welcome them with open arms.

Luckily for Rivercrest they will still be competitive in that conference. They should still be making the playoffs consistently in 4A.

bigchief72455

Quote from: OB11 on May 04, 2017, 12:41:02 pm
Luckily for Rivercrest they will still be competitive in that conference. They should still be making the playoffs consistently in 4A.
Oh I agree. Harrisburg was a good trade off. It will make our conference stronger. Then if Blytheville moves down in the next cycle it will be real competitive.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on May 04, 2017, 11:16:25 am
Which would put them right between Salem and parkers chapel.

IF it's 9-11th that would give them 166, by their numbers. that's 43 less than the AAA says they have. It's not 30, but it is closer to the reported number of Louisianan kids in those grades. I guess AAA can't add and the Dog can't subtract. And the legacy of AAA goes on. You know, a proposed amendment to abolish the AAA and establish a different governing body led by people who's IQ is above 85 and will actually work for a pay check is a possibility.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on May 04, 2017, 02:08:48 pm
IF it's 9-11th that would give them 166, by their numbers. that's 43 less than the AAA says they have. It's not 30, but it is closer to the reported number of Louisianan kids in those grades. I guess AAA can't add and the Dog can't subtract. And the legacy of AAA goes on. You know, a proposed amendment to abolish the AAA and establish a different governing body led by people who's IQ is above 85 and will actually work for a pay check is a possibility.

Thought that proposal was the state legislature would take control of the AAA.....that doesn't sound any better than what we have now

bleudog

May 04, 2017, 09:10:01 pm #24 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:11:10 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Coltfan2005 on May 04, 2017, 02:08:48 pm

I'll type slower.

JC 2012-2013
9th  47
10th  48
11th  42
      137 This number is in-state only.  The out-of-state totals were submitted to the ADE who forwards them to AAA to be added.

JC 2013-2014
9th   51
10th  41
11th  49
      141 This number is in-state only.  The out-of-state totals were submitted to the ADE who forwards them to AAA to be added.

JC 2014-2015
  9th   58
10th   66
11th   52
       176  This total includes both in-state and out-of-state so no adding in of the second file is needed.

JC 2015-2016
9th   65
10th  52
11th  61
      178  This total includes both in-state and out-of-state so no adding in of the second file is needed.

JC 2016-2017
9th   50
10th   62
11th   54
      166  This total includes both in-state and out-of-state so no adding in of the second file is needed.

Now keep up colt,
2014-15  176
2015-16  178
2016-17  166
3 YR AVG 173.33  This total includes both in-state and out-of-state so no adding in the second file is needed.

AAA didn't pick up on ADE combining the two student totals after 2013-2014 and AAA failed to stop adding the two data groups together.

It's just math.

For probably the last 20+ years, JC had averaged graduating mid-to-high 50s to low-to-mid 60s.  Those numbers include both LA and AR kids and would have during that period had JC as a large 2A school for most cycles.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 04, 2017, 02:44:33 pm
Thought that proposal was the state legislature would take control of the AAA.....that doesn't sound any better than what we have now

Actually sounds worse.

bleudog

May 04, 2017, 09:18:05 pm #26 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:31:47 pm by bleudog
Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 04, 2017, 02:44:33 pm

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on May 04, 2017, 09:16:57 pm
Actually sounds worse.

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

stuck in between

Just playing the Devil's Advocate roll here. but IF J.C. wins their appeal does Yellville- Summitt go back up to 3-A ?

4real

Bleu, correct me if I'm wrong...
I've been through the JC area, and surrounding area of Louisiana, but there aren't that many kids on the Lou side... otherwise the state of Lou would already have a school nearby...

Rida4Life

so JC's 3 year average is 173.3 Arkansas..... and the Charter is for 30 LA kids per year... would make it 203.3..... just off of numbers..... to me (and most of the old conference) Charter should be treated with a multiplier.....say 1.5 which would make it 45 which would put the number at 218.3.
I know JC may not like that but it's actually pretty simple.... if you wanna be in AA then drop the charter... keep only the Arkansas kids and play fair like everyone else.  Don't be mad when the AAA tries to even the playing field based on the advantage that YOU created with the charter.

HorseFeathers

May 05, 2017, 10:28:25 am #30 Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:32:24 am by HorseFeathers
Quote from: Rida4Life on May 05, 2017, 09:41:30 am
so JC's 3 year average is 173.3 Arkansas..... and the Charter is for 30 LA kids per year... would make it 203.3..... just off of numbers..... to me (and most of the old conference) Charter should be treated with a multiplier.....say 1.5 which would make it 45 which would put the number at 218.3.
I know JC may not like that but it's actually pretty simple.... if you wanna be in AA then drop the charter... keep only the Arkansas kids and play fair like everyone else.  Don't be mad when the AAA tries to even the playing field based on the advantage that YOU created with the charter.

Except the 173 already includes the Louisiana kids....so you are using a 3.5 multiplier in your argument

And are Louisiana kids bionic...or supermen or what? I figure they bleed red just like me and you...and most schools probably have kids traveling further to get to school than alot of these Louisiana kids do to get to J.C.

To finish with a question....were people this upset in the 70's and 80's when junction City was getting pummeled weekly and actually had a district in 2 parishes of Louisiana?

NEark tigers

JC,

Enjoy your stay in 3A until 2020........

bleudog

May 05, 2017, 11:08:22 am #32 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:01:31 am by bleudog
Quote from: 4real on May 05, 2017, 09:09:50 am
Bleu, correct me if I'm wrong...
I've been through the JC area, and surrounding area of Louisiana, but there aren't that many kids on the Lou side... otherwise the state of Lou would already have a school nearby...

You are correct. There are about 160 or so LA kids on the campus and that's K-12.

Here are the TOTAL high school (7th-12th) numbers as presented in one of the school's recent reports to the public:

4R, the nearest LA school is about 10 miles away.  Some of the LA kids live 10 blocks or less from the JC AR campus and almost all live within 3 miles or so.  Their families have gone to the JC AR school for generations so JC LA never had to build a school.  It's a community and common sense thing.

Rida, as far as a multiplier, it's not the standard charter setup.  The LA parents formed it to be able to stay in a school, not get out of one.  Basically every kid in Ward 9 Claiborne Parish goes to JC and as many from the equivalent area of Union Parish that charter limits will allow.  The non-Ward 9 spots are filled on a lottery basis. They are not raiding kids from multiple local public schools which is what a multiplier is designed to address.

Rida4Life

my bad... I misread the numbers to think they did not include the Louisiana kids.  Still, the charter thing cannot be treated like typical public schools in that it allows the district to expand beyond the borders of one state.  No, it should not be a 3.5 multiplier but it does have to be treated differently. 

I guess Arkansas could do like Louisiana and force all private and charter schools into their own classification.  However, I think that's a little overkill designed to target schools like Evangel and wouldn't necessarily apply to all private and charter schools in Arkansas.

One argument that I've seen would be to automatically have all of these type schools play up 1 classification i.e. AA enrollment but private/charter play in AAA.  I don't know if that's a good answer either....
but if JC wins their petition it would open up a can of worms with the AAA and the public schools that don't get this advantage.

bleudog

May 05, 2017, 01:08:18 pm #34 Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 04:51:57 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Rida4Life on May 05, 2017, 12:44:38 pm
my bad... I misread the numbers to think they did not include the Louisiana kids.  Still, the charter thing cannot be treated like typical public schools in that it allows the district to expand beyond the borders of one state.  No, it should not be a 3.5 multiplier but it does have to be treated differently. 

I guess Arkansas could do like Louisiana and force all private and charter schools into their own classification.  However, I think that's a little overkill designed to target schools like Evangel and wouldn't necessarily apply to all private and charter schools in Arkansas.

One argument that I've seen would be to automatically have all of these type schools play up 1 classification i.e. AA enrollment but private/charter play in AAA.  I don't know if that's a good answer either....
but if JC wins their petition it would open up a can of worms with the AAA and the public schools that don't get this advantage.

Rida, to use your LA analogy, JC is not a "select" school.  It's not a small school drawing slected students from an area with a population base larger than other small schools typically draw from. 

JC's "district" is roughly a a 6-8 mile radius from its campus.  JC School's goal is to provide educational opportunities to 100% of the kids in that geographic area.  JC is the only school in that geographic area.  Its geographic peculiarity is about half of that area is south of State Line Road.  Providing educational opportunities to all kids in its community has been JC's goal since its doors opened Lord knows how many years ago. So there are some pretty old worms in that can.  :)

The biggest athletic "advantages" JC has had over the last 40 years or so have been David Carpenter, Al Bolen and James Anderson.

Cheek

If they have 341-  7th thru 12th, they will be in 3A.   

4real

It'll be hard to ever force private schools out of the AAA when LR Catholic High/Mount St Mary were founding members of the organization...
Not to mention there are not enough private schools to even have such a situation.  The charter schools are public schools, besides, how many state titles have been won by charter schools for folks to get especially upset over?

bleudog

May 05, 2017, 02:28:13 pm #37 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:10:30 am by bleudog
Quote from: Cheek on May 05, 2017, 01:31:10 pm
If they have 341-  7th thru 12th, they will be in 3A.   

Did you and Colt take math at the same school?

7th thru 12th is six grades

341 / 6 = 57 average per grade

57 X 3 = 171 average for 9th 10th and 11th grades

The 2A-3A cut in the next cycle is about 190

171 average for three years is a 2A school

::)

BigBrother

Hey rida, you want multiplier on JC, just how many school choice kids to the chaplerss have each year. Let's multiply school choice kids too.
And btw JC would spank y'all without charter kids.

bleudog

May 06, 2017, 01:10:02 am #39 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:10:03 pm by bleudog
Quote from: BigBrother on May 06, 2017, 12:24:13 am
Hey rida, you want multiplier on JC, just how many school choice kids to the chaplerss have each year. Let's multiply school choice kids too......

About 60 of PC's almost 800 students are school choice but that's an interesting concept that would have a material impact on some schools. 

https://myschoolinfo.arkansas.gov/Plus/RenderDistricts

Cheek

Quote from: bleudog on May 05, 2017, 02:28:13 pm
Did you and Colt take math at the same school?

7th thru 12th is six grades

341 / 6 = 57 average per grade

57 X 3 = 171 average for 9th 10th and 11th grades

The 2A-3A cut in the next cycle is about 190

171 average for three years is a 2A school

::)

Well guess what rocket scientist.  Schools have classes of different sizes.  There will be 71 in one  class and 45 in another.  If JC has 341  7-12 and 800 total K-12 that would put them at the bottom of 3A.  England has about 305 7-12 and 712  K-12 and we are near the top of 2A.  These numbers are based on the third quarter student report sent to the Dept of Education.  It does not matter what you have to start or end the school year.   This is the number School funding is based on, so if you cheat on the numbers, you will cost your District funds.   I figure JC should accept the fact they will still be in 3A.

bleudog

May 06, 2017, 03:37:48 pm #41 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:13:27 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Cheek on May 06, 2017, 02:37:04 pm
Well guess what rocket scientist.  Schools have classes of different sizes.  There will be 71 in one  class and 45 in another.  If JC has 341  7-12 and 800 total K-12 that would put them at the bottom of 3A.  England has about 305 7-12 and 712  K-12 and we are near the top of 2A.  These numbers are based on the third quarter student report sent to the Dept of Education.  It does not matter what you have to start or end the school year.   This is the number School funding is based on, so if you cheat on the numbers, you will cost your District funds.   I figure JC should accept the fact they will still be in 3A.

Cheek, it's not rocket science, it's math.

I'll repeat part of my earlier post and type even slower.

JC 2014-2015
  9th   58
10th   66
11th   52
       176  This total includes both in-state and out-of-state so no adding in of the second file is needed.

JC 2015-2016
9th   65
10th  52
11th  61
      178  This total includes both in-state and out-of-state so no adding in of the second file is needed.

JC 2016-2017
9th   50
10th   62
11th   54
      166  This total includes both in-state and out-of-state so no adding in of the second file is needed.

Now keep up cheek,
2014-15  176
2015-16  178
2016-17  166
3 YR AVG 173.33  This total includes both in-state and out-of-state so no adding in the second file is needed.

Cheek, nobody is trying to "cheat on the numbers."  Arkansas only forwards funds to JC for Arkansas students.  So the kids the AAA counted twice have no effect on Arkansas funding.  And Louisiana certainly isn't going to pay for the LA kids twice just because AAA failed to adjust AAA's algorithm when ADE updated ADE's mapping software after 2013-14.

And I have no idea where you got the idea JC has 800 students.  JC has about 680 total in K-12.  Now if you or the AAA would like to send the extra $800,000 or so, I figure somebody from JC would come pick up the check.

And Cheek, remember: 

Cheek

Quote from: bleudog on May 06, 2017, 03:37:48 pm
Cheek, it's not rocket science, it's math.

I'll repeat part of my earlier post and type even slower.

JC 2014-2015
  9th   58
10th   66
11th   52

JC 2015-2016
9th   65
10th  52
11th  61

JC 2016-2017
9th   50
10th   62
11th   54

Now keep up cheek,
2014-15  176
2015-16  178
2016-17  166

Cheek, nobody is trying to "cheat on the numbers."  Arkansas only forwards funds to JC for Arkansas students.  So the kids the AAA counted twice have no effect on Arkansas funding.  And Louisiana certainly isn't going to pay for the LA kids twice just because AAA failed to adjust AAA's algorithm when ADE updated ADE's mapping software after 2013-14.

And I have no idea where you got the idea JC has 800 students.  JC has about 680 total in K-12.  Now if you or the AAA would like to send the extra $800,000 or so, I figure somebody from JC would come pick up the check.

And Cheek, remember: 

I read in another post that you had 800 students. It was fun having JC in 2A, but I don't care where you end up.  I know they want out of 3A due to the lack of success.  Good luck on whatever happens. 

4real

If someone said they had 800 kids they would've been looking at K-12 numbers

bleudog

May 06, 2017, 07:30:44 pm #44 Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:10:53 am by bleudog
Quote from: Cheek on May 06, 2017, 06:31:59 pm
I read in another post that you had 800 students. It was fun having JC in 2A, but I don't care where you end up.  I know they want out of 3A due to the lack of success.  Good luck on whatever happens. 

For what it's worth, the AAA made the same algorithm error in one or two of the three years used for the current classification assignments.  So for 2016-2017 and 2017-2018, JC is and will be a public school with 2A numbers playing in 3A. 

Even with that, they still managed playoff appearances in basketball (boys and girls made state tournament) and football (lost a second round game 14-13 as the visiting team).  Won some individual events at state track meet (and I'm not sure what the error in the relay cost them from a team standpoint but still finished fourth).  Got a 3A state championship in weight lifting.   Baseball team has qualified for the state tournament and is still playing.

Playing in 3A isn't so bad.  The biggest concern is playing 4A schools with 2A numbers in the blended conferences in non-football sports.

bleudog

May 06, 2017, 07:34:23 pm #45 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 07:37:10 pm by bleudog
Quote from: 4real on May 06, 2017, 07:22:15 pm
If someone said they had 800 kids they would've been looking at K-12 numbers

K-  6    342
7-12    338
Total    680 (both AR and LA)

https://adedata.arkansas.gov/statewide/Schools/EnrollmentByGrade.aspx?year=27&search=junction%20city&pagesize=10

Parkers Chapel's enrollment was mentioned earlier in the thread when the question of number of PC's school choice students came up.  PC is near 800.

https://adedata.arkansas.gov/statewide/Schools/EnrollmentByGrade.aspx?year=27&search=parkers%20chapel&pagesize=10

SOUTHARK99

When will JC know the answer for the appeal?

bleudog

May 08, 2017, 01:33:58 pm #47 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:39:38 pm by bleudog
Quote from: SOUTHARK99 on May 08, 2017, 12:46:11 pm
When will JC know the answer for the appeal?

I would assume any school wishing to appeal a classification assignment would have the appeal addressed at the next AAA board meeting.

The AAA Board of Directors Summer Workshop is June 6-8.

Look A Here

They need to stay in 3A.  2A wasn't even a challenge anymore

JC Guy

Quote from: Look A Here on May 09, 2017, 12:21:50 pm
They need to stay in 3A.  2A wasn't even a challenge anymore
Conway Christian was a challenge in the playoffs year before last as was Rison in the regular season and England was a challenge last year. Why would you chose to put your self at a competitive disadvantage? Because other schools are tired of watching you have success?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas