• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What would be the worst way to lose a Championship.....

Started by JessieP, February 28, 2017, 08:55:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

Seeing as how Spring practice is a way's off and we're killing time, I was wondering of the 3 football Championships which would you consider the worst ?

The 5A Championship: To lose early and by a wide margin. A game where your looking forward to next year in the 3rd quarter.

The College Playoff Championship: A tight game, lead changes and drama. Losing the Championship on the last play of the game.

The Super Bowl: To be ahead by 25 late in the 3rd quarter only to have the other team come storming back and win it in overtime.

I myself think the Super Bowl would hurt the worst. You can taste the Championship and then have it yanked from you. I think in the High School scenario the game was a forgone conclusion so early at some point you just want it to end. The College game, I think you'd be so pumped up on adrenaline that you wouldn't really get mad for a few hours later. By then you'd realize you played one heck of a game. To me blowing a huge lead would be the worst. 

the voice

BruinBacker

Playing in the slop in a championship game in 1982 on your home field in a 0-0 tie with about 3 minutes left in the game and throwing an interception that got returned for a TD.  Losing 8-0. 

wynnefootballfan

I think the Super Bowl example would be the worst for me. You have it made and just let it go. What hapend to our Jackets SUCKED but we were just out played. losing it in the last sec on the last play would also suck but at least your in it to the bitter end with a chance. JMHO..

STUNNA

The Future

They all have their own disappointments. Losing isn't fun whichever way you slice it.

The 5A game example- losing early and by a wide margin. Thats a disappointment that spans the whole game. You find out from the start you aren't the better team. You still play your best and give it your all. But your D can't get stops and your O can't get points and like you said, halfway through the 3rd youre looking to next year. The bench is quiet and the fans can't get excited about anything. Then the bummer meter hits the bottom when the game is over and youve lost by a mercy rule score. There's no shock or surprise because youve known this was gonna happen for the past 2 and a half quarters and have had time to come to grips with it.

The college championship example- tight close game with drama and losing on last play. The joy of winning and pain of defeat are both absent until the very end. The whole game you are feeling mixed emotions of "yes we are ahead" or "crap we are behind". You believe you can win but at the same time youre not for sure. Then it all comes down to that final play. The excitement of everyone in attendance is at its peak. Once the play is finished and the clock is at 0, one side experiences the great feeling of victory while the sting of loss shoots through the other. The loss comes at you like a brick and sucks terribly, but there's nothing to be ashamed of in going head to head with another quality opponent and giving it your all and coming up just short. You'll look back not at the loss but at the classic you were a part of. I would say this is my ideal way to lose a game. I don't mind going toe to toe with the best or second best and coming up short.

So I would have to say the worst is the Super Bowl example of having the win in the bag and letting it go. You have to give credit to the opposing team for finding a way to comeback and you can't take that away from them. But at the same time, the loss is on you. It wasn't a tight game. It was a blowout. You were the better team for the first half (or in the SB's case, the first 3/4ths of the game) and suddenly you lose it. Bad playcalls, missed opportunities, whathaveyou. There should be no reason why you have your way with a team for 30 minutes then suddenly you let them score 25 unanswered in the final quarter and a half. The sting of loss is present along with the nagging thoughts of "what if" and "why". Those will haunt you longer than the sting of defeat.

JessieP

Quote from: The Future on March 03, 2017, 12:33:25 pm
They all have their own disappointments. Losing isn't fun whichever way you slice it.

The 5A game example- losing early and by a wide margin. Thats a disappointment that spans the whole game. You find out from the start you aren't the better team. You still play your best and give it your all. But your D can't get stops and your O can't get points and like you said, halfway through the 3rd youre looking to next year. The bench is quiet and the fans can't get excited about anything. Then the bummer meter hits the bottom when the game is over and youve lost by a mercy rule score. There's no shock or surprise because youve known this was gonna happen for the past 2 and a half quarters and have had time to come to grips with it.

The college championship example- tight close game with drama and losing on last play. The joy of winning and pain of defeat are both absent until the very end. The whole game you are feeling mixed emotions of "yes we are ahead" or "crap we are behind". You believe you can win but at the same time youre not for sure. Then it all comes down to that final play. The excitement of everyone in attendance is at its peak. Once the play is finished and the clock is at 0, one side experiences the great feeling of victory while the sting of loss shoots through the other. The loss comes at you like a brick and sucks terribly, but there's nothing to be ashamed of in going head to head with another quality opponent and giving it your all and coming up just short. You'll look back not at the loss but at the classic you were a part of. I would say this is my ideal way to lose a game. I don't mind going toe to toe with the best or second best and coming up short.

So I would have to say the worst is the Super Bowl example of having the win in the bag and letting it go. You have to give credit to the opposing team for finding a way to comeback and you can't take that away from them. But at the same time, the loss is on you. It wasn't a tight game. It was a blowout. You were the better team for the first half (or in the SB's case, the first 3/4ths of the game) and suddenly you lose it. Bad playcalls, missed opportunities, whathaveyou. There should be no reason why you have your way with a team for 30 minutes then suddenly you let them score 25 unanswered in the final quarter and a half. The sting of loss is present along with the nagging thoughts of "what if" and "why". Those will haunt you longer than the sting of defeat.

Great post. I agree on all points. Make no mistake about it, Tom Brady proved he is the GOAT. But Atlanta had to bend over backwards to lose that game. I mean you don't have to try and score. If they did nothing but run the ball from the point they went up 25 it's game over.

I liked your wording on the 5A one, that's true, the whole "we weren't as good as we thought" mindset had to sting. But it's high school. The game can slip away in 5 minutes. Fumble, score, fumble, score and it's check mate. I do think PA, Wynne and to a lesser extent Batesville can look at the season end and say "we'll stand pat. We need a few to step up and fill holes but no major changes needed". I think Alma, Blytheville, LRCA and others are the ones who need big turnarounds to catch the pack.

tmycjy

Have your bus break down and having to Foret the game

walkingguy72396

MDXPHD

FD4

Being ahead by 14 in the State game, with 3:36 left to play. Their ball on their 32 yard line, 4th and one, and a Trap breaks it for 68 yards and a score.  Two point conversion fails.  14/6 with 3:20 left.  Kick off deep.  Two plays later its 3rd and 12.  Screen pass gets snuffed out for only 6 yards, Time out them, punt.  Their ball on their 42 yard line, 1:15 left.  Two quick out passes and the ball is now on your 44.  On second down QB naked bootleg is good for 22 yards, out of bounds, clock stops with 0:42, ball on your 22.  You shift out of 3/4 to a 4/4 stack defense.  First play is toss sweep left good for 6 yards time out called, last time out.  There is only 31 seconds left to play.  Defense back to 3/4.  From the 16, Toss sweep to tail back who dropped back and threw a perfect strike for a TD with only 22 seconds to play.  Two point conversion failed again 14/12 us.  On side kick successful, their ball on your 48, 0:19 left to play.  First down pass to the 35 and out of bounds, clock stops with 11 seconds left.  First down pass complete again and out at the yard to gain stick. 3 seconds left, kicking team comes on for a 35 yard attempt.  Ball is snapped, kick is off, ball doinks the right upright, bounces off the cross bar, 6'4" safety (converted forward off the Basketball team) skies for the ball and picks it off as it bounced off the cross bar.  You make the call!  Game over we win, or cross bar interference they win 15/14?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas