• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Magnet Cove

Started by Bagheera, February 09, 2017, 08:56:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagheera

Heard today that Efird is no longer the AD?  Anybody know what happened? 

Panthro

Word on the street (aka old guys drinking their coffee at the store in the mornings) is there are two conflicting stories.  Efird says it was his decision to resign as the AD which I hope is the case but the rumor is he was forced to step down by the powers that be.  The high school principal (who has never coached a day in his life) is now the AD.  Seems a little fishy to me that he would resign on his own in the middle of February.  Why not at the beginning of the semester?  Why not finish out the year?  I´m sure there is more to the story but that´s all I gathered from coffee talk last week. 

BLUEBLOOD

If there is more to the story, it will come out. 

Bagheera

Yeah that is strange timing.  I knew that he had been dealing with a lot this year.  Several issues with coaches/unhappy parents and what not.  I guess he is still wanting to stay on as the head football coach?  Hate to see a guy who has done so much for the athletic program get pushed around like that if that is the case.  Hope everything works out for him.

RZback

The move was in the works, or at least in discussion for a bit. Doing it after the semester began was just allowing a conversation to continue  to make sure it was thought out.  Like it of not like it, coach has been good for the program and the kids.  You always have your detractors. Can't please everybody.

Bagheera

Are you an MC guy RZ?  Just wondering haven´t seen you post on MC´s threads before.  If so are you saying he was forced to step down?

RZback

I just saying that there was a conversation about a change that was more than spur of the moment and more than one opinion/action was discussed. Coach is a great guy and was part of the discussion.

hogalum05

Any news on this one? Heard the name of a guy who is a position coach at a 6A school, got ties to the area.. what's the word?

dragontrackcoach

Alright, I have kept my mouth shut long enough. This is ridiculous, what do you think is gonna happen. Run Efird off and hire the guy who he hired, a lot of coaches are gonna want to come work for that guy. Way to go I give three slow hand claps to the administration and parents who have been a part of this. I am ashamed to be from there.

mriderpride84

I normally just read, but I don't think some understand what is happening outside the the bubble of a certain click of people. Anyone who knows coach Efird will tell you he is a good man, but what is being questioned in the school, and outside is the brand of football the community wants. Many past players who have young students in the school want a change. A few board members have been pressed on this, and I know that one coach has been called and questioned if it was to come open how much interest would they have in the position.

Rida4Life

Quote from: mriderpride84 on February 14, 2017, 09:54:31 am
I normally just read, but I don't think some understand what is happening outside the the bubble of a certain click of people. Anyone who knows coach Efird will tell you he is a good man, but what is being questioned in the school, and outside is the brand of football the community wants. Many past players who have young students in the school want a change. A few board members have been pressed on this, and I know that one coach has been called and questioned if it was to come open how much interest would they have in the position.

So you are saying that the board is going behind the coaches back and putting feelers out for a job that isn't open?
very classy move
coaches ought to come from all over wanting a job with politics like that....

mriderpride84

Think most will find out there is more secretly official than what is thought.

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: mriderpride84 on February 14, 2017, 09:54:31 am

Wow so it is even worse than I thought. That is the most backwards way you go about doing things!!! Whatever happened to a community getting behind a coach and standing behind him and being loyal. Guess that is whats wrong with our society today. Just hate that my alma mater is now going to the dark side. I will support coach Efird and Webb. Those coaches have done more for that school than you will ever know. Go look at how many coaches are now coaching and impacting kids around the state that played for Webb and Efird at one point or another. There are a ton.

But hey if yall want a better brand of football then lets see what you get. I hope you get everything you deserve.

mriderpride84

It isn't behind anyone's back that I know of just talks with all parties involved about moving forward.

dragontrackcoach

Well I will just let you in a little secret any kind of program that parents and school board members are running will not be successful for very long.

mriderpride84

Problem is parents and school board have been running it.

footballfan-tastic

Good rule of thumb, don't contact people about jobs that are not available.  Some of the most unethical people I know are people in charge of something.  They justify every bad decision as having done it for the good of the group.  Usually they just did it because it was what they wanted.

mrknowitall

Go back and see when all the "conflict" really started. There is a common denominator! Got a snake in the program that is keeping things stirred up!

mriderpride84

baknblak

It will stay a mess until the admin decides to back its coaches.  Lot of shady business going on at the cove right now.

southarkdaddy

Sounds like alumni not happy

mriderpride84

Older alumni with kids getting closer to playing age are ones that I have heard the most grumbling from.

clackbat

It baffles me how such a successful coach is receiving so much criticism over 2 losing seasons.  After hearing all the negative reviews I started thinking "man maybe it is time to move on" so being a numbers guy I went to check the wins/losses over the past 10 years since Efird has been in charge.  He took a program that struggled to even make the playoffs for years to a program that expected nothing less than a playoff appearance year in and year out and one game away from a state championship.  How many schools can say that?  Ive heard the complaint "look at the records we're on a downhill slide unless we get rid of him!"  So I got to thinking, "I wonder if any other successful coaches have gone through something similar."  Turns out this years 2A state champions did in the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons.  What if Mt Ida had said "man coach white doesn't have it anymore lets move on" would they have won a championship this year?  Who knows all im saying is every good team goes through cycles.  Its all about the players you have and being at the right place at the right time.  Efird deserves way more respect than he is receiving.       

clackbat

AND his only 2 losing seasons were the ones with someone else calling the plays.....not that Golden is a bad coach by any means I think he is a great guy but come on there is definitely a correlation there.  It was a different administration back then but they almost lost a great coach in Webb when they tried to run him off years ago.  They are lucky he stuck around as an assistant.  I still think he would have been one of the most successful head coaches in the state right now if they had given him some more time.  Just didn't have the talent.  MC better be careful they might not be so lucky if they run Efird off.  Gives the school a reputation for not taking care of its coaches too.  I guarantee you if I was a coach I wouldn't want this job after hearing all these negatives of how they have handled things.

*End rant.  For now.

BLUEBLOOD

All schools, especially smaller (2A & 3A) go through severe talent cycles.  You just don't have the depth of talent to stay on top.  And sometimes when you do have the talent, you have injuries or run into another team with more talent.  Look at the coaching profession at the highest levels and you will see where these issues are coming from.  Coaches are hired and given unrealistic expectations.  Every team/school wants a coach to turn a program around in 2-3 years.  Sometimes its possible and sometimes it isn't.  Or if you have a coach that's been around a while, they will have a lull and people start calling for their head!! 

Coaches (for the most part) don't mind being accountable, but too many times they can't meet the expectations of the fan base. 

baknblak

I bet alot of schools would trade their last 10 seasons for mc´s last 10.  I dont think Magnet realizes what they have.  May get more than they bargained for.

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: clackbat on February 17, 2017, 08:49:28 am
It baffles me how such a successful coach is receiving so much criticism over 2 losing seasons.  After hearing all the negative reviews I started thinking "man maybe it is time to move on" so being a numbers guy I went to check the wins/losses over the past 10 years since Efird has been in charge.  He took a program that struggled to even make the playoffs for years to a program that expected nothing less than a playoff appearance year in and year out and one game away from a state championship.  How many schools can say that?  Ive heard the complaint "look at the records we're on a downhill slide unless we get rid of him!"  So I got to thinking, "I wonder if any other successful coaches have gone through something similar."  Turns out this years 2A state champions did in the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons.  What if Mt Ida had said "man coach white doesn't have it anymore lets move on" would they have won a championship this year?  Who knows all im saying is every good team goes through cycles.  Its all about the players you have and being at the right place at the right time.  Efird deserves way more respect than he is receiving.     

I agree with you 100%. On your other post you said not many coaches would wanna come work at a place that does not have a coaches back. I am a coach and former player at MC and there is no way I would step foot there simply from how the and past coaches have been treated.

mrknowitall

Don't forget Timmons left due to a couple of board members not liking him...he put MC back on the map in football! Can't ever please everyone! Seems like it's hard to please people there!

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: dragontrackcoach on February 14, 2017, 11:40:24 am
Well I will just let you in a little secret any kind of program that parents and school board members are running will not be successful for very long.

^ ^

He's right, you know...

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: mriderpride84 on February 16, 2017, 11:46:47 am
Older alumni with kids getting closer to playing age are ones that I have heard the most grumbling from.

Oh, they want to relive their 'glory days' by seeing their kid on the field, being the star, getting the ball etc... (regardless if they have any talent or not?)

Rida4Life

Quote from: dragontrackcoach on February 17, 2017, 02:16:35 pm
I agree with you 100%. On your other post you said not many coaches would wanna come work at a place that does not have a coaches back. I am a coach and former player at MC and there is no way I would step foot there simply from how the and past coaches have been treated.

well said coach, no way most coaches would touch that situation knowing the politics involved.

clackbat

Most of the ones wanting to relive their glory days didn't have any to begin with

mriderpride84

Many places have become very political.

Hogjr

I think some of what's in question with the now former AD is not his coaching abilities. He has that but he's not utilizing those skills. Iv posted in a previous thread that this last season the high school didn't practice much over the summer. At all. And during their practices they didn't practice full throttle. Off season is the same way. The head coach doesn't allow for much. It's like he's preoccupied. There have been multiple issues with other coaches, and as the AD, he hasn't addressed said issues. Parents have real concerns and he blows it off. Refs have concerns with the wag coaches are handling players and he does nothing to counsel his other coaches who are under him. The supervisor has to supervise or we find someone who can. As far as the rest of the shadiness up there...there should be resignations from certain folks ASAP before things get much more ugly up in there. Real ugly. May God have mercy on the new guy coming in to this crap storm.

panther_forever

Quote from: Hogjr on April 16, 2017, 10:03:12 pm
I think some of what's in question with the now former AD is not his coaching abilities. He has that but he's not utilizing those skills. Iv posted in a previous thread that this last season the high school didn't practice much over the summer. At all. And during their practices they didn't practice full throttle. Off season is the same way. The head coach doesn't allow for much. It's like he's preoccupied. There have been multiple issues with other coaches, and as the AD, he hasn't addressed said issues. Parents have real concerns and he blows it off. Refs have concerns with the wag coaches are handling players and he does nothing to counsel his other coaches who are under him. The supervisor has to supervise or we find someone who can. As far as the rest of the shadiness up there...there should be resignations from certain folks ASAP before things get much more ugly up in there. Real ugly. May God have mercy on the new guy coming in to this crap storm.
He wont be here long if the football team has any say

sevenof400

Quote from: panther_forever on April 16, 2017, 10:40:25 pm
He wont be here long if the football team has any say

What do you personally know about the new guy? 

Not what have you heard - what do you know?

SR30

Seven you can't put much stock into what Panther_forever writes. He is speaking from a player point of view. Some players don't like change and they have gotten use to Golden. I will be the first to admit last season I was a believer in Golden and what he could do for the program if he had full control. After speaking with parents and getting the inside details I am ashamed to say I was wrong about wanting him to take over my Alma material. That is all I will say about that. Now as far as the team over the past few years a lot of that was in motion before Golden was brought in. Efird is a awesome guy and a great coach. But we all know when you start to drop off people start looking for heads to roll. The high school team struggled the year before Golden even arrived. That is evident by the thrashing they took that year by Poyen. Work ethic in off season was part of that problem. I have listed them and my reason for removing my child from the equation. I am not going to list them again on the board but will gladly have a conversation though email. Of course all of this is my opinion and we all know everyone has those.
Now to panther_forever your comment about "he will not stay long if the team has anything to say about it" is just Ludacris. You are not paid professionals and you aren't Kobe Bryant or LeBron James. So your job as a student is to respect this coach. You may not like him but by gosh you should respect him. He didn't have to apply for the job. But apparently he saw something at MC that caught his attention and he feels he can win there, only time will tell. But to think the team has a say so just sets you and him up for failure. Football is just a game, life goes on, so have fun and make the best of the situation. Let the adults worry about the outcome..

FisherOfMen11

You know at some point regardless of who coaches players have to get hacked off and take responsibility for how they perform. When I was in high school we went through 4 different coaches in 3 years but we didnt care because we were the ones who determined our mentality and work ethic not whatever coach we had. If he didnt want to work with us we worked on our own. IDK how many weekends and week nights were spent in the weightroom or practicing to get better. A head coach has a huge impact on a program but honestly it is the players who ultimately decide if a program is going to be the best it can be or not.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on April 17, 2017, 11:07:49 am
You know at some point regardless of who coaches players have to get hacked off and take responsibility for how they perform. When I was in high school we went through 4 different coaches in 3 years but we didnt care because we were the ones who determined our mentality and work ethic not whatever coach we had. If he didnt want to work with us we worked on our own. IDK how many weekends and week nights were spent in the weightroom or practicing to get better. A head coach has a huge impact on a program but honestly it is the players who ultimately decide if a program is going to be the best it can be or not.

Interesting story but you don't say what the results of all that change and lack of coaching led too as far as win/loss? And what school you were at.

FisherOfMen11

the end result my senior year was the first trip to the state tournament my school had ever seen.

footballfan-tastic

So did that HC that got you to the state playoff stick around?

FisherOfMen11

Yes for 3 more years and is still on staff SEVERAL years later.

game on

Im confused, this a football coach?  He was HC, then he stayed a few years and is still on staff but not HC? 

FisherOfMen11

no this coach was a basketball coach.

Hogjr

April 17, 2017, 05:18:38 pm #44 Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:36:38 pm by Hogjr
From what I hear the new coach showed his face and stirred things up a bit. Interesting day

mrknowitall

Stirred things up???

Hogjr

Meet and great with the athletes

game on

The man has a real job in front of him.

footballfan-tastic

Best of luckto the new guy, he's starting with a stiff wind in his face.

game on

I think the kids will gradually come around if they want to play, the bigger question is how much success is it going to take to make the people who are unhappy, happy?  Seems there is a potential for the problem to keep coming back up.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas