• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Osceola head coach job

Started by PermaBan, December 15, 2016, 12:26:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PermaBan

December 15, 2016, 12:26:26 pm Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:28:38 pm by PermaBan
Says in the Osceola Times that superintendent Mike Cox has declared the head coaching position vacant.

OB11

This job could possibly draw some decent interest.  Not sure it will with the state of the program, but with the new steel mill there could be an influx of students out there in the near future. 

Radiotalker

Quote from: OB11 on December 15, 2016, 01:38:20 pm
This job could possibly draw some decent interest.  Not sure it will with the state of the program, but with the new steel mill there could be an influx of students out there in the near future. 

What's the state of the program? I know it's not in disarray?

Captain Oblivion

I think it could be a sneaky attractive job...nice new field, athletes everywhere and like OB said that steel mill could be a nice attractive place to work for single mothers with stud sons...

Sick Dog

yep just enough to send them back up to 4A

Missco

Wouldn't call the program in disarray but no where near the shape Gore left it. Russell did well with what he had to deal with Osceola and Blytheville are losing students in droves. Rivercrest, Manila, Gosnell, and Marion are the district's gaining students because of the mill. Osceola will never move up again. Rivercrest will as will Manila eventually.

OB11

Quote from: Radiotalker on December 15, 2016, 06:44:47 pm
What's the state of the program? I know it's not in disarray?

I guess "state of the program" was too broad of a term.  I didn't mean that the program was in disarray, just that this past season was tough as far as putting everything together that they needed to be successful on the field.  Missco alluded to it, but could anyone elaborate on the district as a whole?  Why is Osceola not growing like the districts around it?   

AirWarren

Anyone have a picture of the field?

Rick Swines

The field is nice.  I don't have a picture but it is.  I have a good friend that moved his kids from Osceola and took them to Rivercrest.  He said the atmosphere wasn't something he wanted his kids to be apart of. 

Missco

Lol, Osceola under Cox has gotten better. Nothing wrong with Osceola. Manila and Rivercrest just like to make it sound that way. Everyone wants all the students they can get.

OB11

I think the incident with that Senior prank last year did a number on the perception of the school.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: OB11 on December 16, 2016, 12:30:01 pm
I think the incident with that Senior prank last year did a number on the perception of the school.
What prank?

Coltfan2005

would that be the one that the students broke into the school, damaged items, and urinated in corners? Then their parents protested the fact the could not walk during graduation? That "prank"? And Gore left Osceola when the getting was good. His tactics had caught up to him and the program.

purpleswag

I have been to Osceola one time and can't see how this would be an attractive job to anyone other than if they were from there.

Talk about in the middle of a hay field

birddawg1986

Tuff place to coach now days. This is not an attractive job like it was 5 years ago.Until the kids invest 100% this program will stay down. You got to show up for off season, come to fall practice, show up for practice during game week.

PermaBan

Quote from: birddawg1986 on December 17, 2016, 09:22:47 am
Tuff place to coach now days. This is not an attractive job like it was 5 years ago.Until the kids invest 100% this program will stay down. You got to show up for off season, come to fall practice, show up for practice during game week.
You're exactly right, I think it will take more than just a new head coach to turn it around. My father graduated from their and to hear him talk about Osceola back then you wouldn't recognize it today. A lot of things have changed around schools across America, and not for the better.

Missco

The right coach can win at Osceola. You can't tell me that the kids are that much different than some of the athletes that Rivercrest or EPC has.  Just because their address is Osceola instead of Luxora, Joiner, or Lepanto. Not buying it. The right coach will win at Osceola.

OB11

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on December 16, 2016, 07:31:04 pm
would that be the one that the students broke into the school, damaged items, and urinated in corners? Then their parents protested the fact the could not walk during graduation? That "prank"? And Gore left Osceola when the getting was good. His tactics had caught up to him and the program.

Yes that "prank".  Which obviously may be a term that undersells what actually happened.

Missco

Personally, it's probably the best job in that conference. The Rivercrest job would be if the pay were more. I mean in NEA would you rather coach at Osceola or Corning, Paragould, Harrisburg, Westside, GCT, Brookland, etc. Osceola didn't sweep the prank issue under the rug like a lot of NEA schools would have done. Kinda like two area school's that when they catch kids doing drugs they still let them play. I am in no way a Osceola gan but it's not a bad job.

ISU7

Quote from: Missco on December 16, 2016, 12:25:55 pm
Lol, Osceola under Cox has gotten better. Nothing wrong with Osceola. Manila and Rivercrest just like to make it sound that way. Everyone wants all the students they can get.
Cough Cough Not! !!!.

ISU7

December 18, 2016, 12:15:28 am #20 Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 07:34:51 pm by ISU7
Quote from: birddawg1986 on December 17, 2016, 09:22:47 am
Exactly , even in basketball. This might have cause the 2016-2017 basketball team a state championship.  :-X 8)

ISU7

Quote from: Missco on December 17, 2016, 01:06:06 pm
The right coach can win at Osceola. You can't tell me that the kids are that much different than some of the athletes that Rivercrest or EPC has.  Just because their address is Osceola instead of Luxora, Joiner, or Lepanto. Not buying it. The right coach will win at Osceola.
Whoa there now I live in Luxora and #7 of Osceola lives down the street from me so come up with something better. 😷😎

Razorbacks48

dropthemic

This would be an excellent job for any coach, Osceola has a strong winning tradition!

Paperman

Anybody who thinks Osceola is a bad job, place to live, or can't win is not being realistic! Oscdola has great talent in the district! The problem is the culture the kids grow up in! Osceola schoo are far better than they were when I came here in 2005. As for Coach Gore, he went to Melbourne because he did not see eye to eye with the former superintendent Milton Washington. He was not run off as some people would try to make you believe! Osceola has 32 applicants for the head coaches job! They will hire a great coach, and they will win and win big! The facilities are there once the new arena is completed in early 2018 they will rival any in the state! Sure Manila, Rivercrest, Marion, and Jonesboro schools have seen growth from the North, but I think Osceola's time is coming!

Missco

Osceola is still a great job. Probably the 2nd best job in the 3-3A behind Rivercrest. It is a very attractive job with a lot of up side. However, the school is not growing and probably will stay about where it is enrollment wise. Rivercrest, Gosnell, Manila, and Armorel were all up in enrollment this year with Osceola being about the same. I

Qhcaoc

Any names on who has applied?

OB11

I've heard there is a lot of out of state interest for this job.  Coaches from Texas, Mississippi, and Tennessee have applied.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: Paperman on January 12, 2017, 11:20:53 pm
Anybody who thinks Osceola is a bad job, place to live, or can't win is not being realistic! Oscdola has great talent in the district! The problem is the culture the kids grow up in! Osceola schoo are far better than they were when I came here in 2005. As for Coach Gore, he went to Melbourne because he did not see eye to eye with the former superintendent Milton Washington. He was not run off as some people would try to make you believe! Osceola has 32 applicants for the head coaches job! They will hire a great coach, and they will win and win big! The facilities are there once the new arena is completed in early 2018 they will rival any in the state! Sure Manila, Rivercrest, Marion, and Jonesboro schools have seen growth from the North, but I think Osceola's time is coming!

Are you smoking the local crack? Osceola is a horrible place to live with crime rates up and the utility bills up higher. Apparently the only thing higher than those two is you if you expect anyone to believe you. There are new jobs coming in but the majority of the people following those jobs choose to live in Manila or Wilson. The school has gotten better in some areas but still is not a great place to have your children. If you will check their test scores, the only high mark is the lead content in their water. Drugs are running rampant through the town and the majority of the people who could leave...already did.

luxora4life

January 13, 2017, 02:48:47 pm #29 Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:50:43 pm by luxora4life
Quote from: Coltfan2005 on January 13, 2017, 01:36:16 pm
Are you smoking the local crack? Osceola is a horrible place to live with crime rates up and the utility bills up higher. Apparently the only thing higher than those two is you if you expect anyone to believe you. There are new jobs coming in but the majority of the people following those jobs choose to live in Manila or Wilson. The school has gotten better in some areas but still is not a great place to have your children. If you will check their test scores, the only high mark is the lead content in their water. Drugs are running rampant through the town and the majority of the people who could leave...already did.

Stop it, Osceola is no different than any other town in Mississippi County or any other place in the world.  You have some people who makes good choices and some people who makes bad choices.   

Missco

You are correct Luxora4life. Osceola isn't terrible. Lol, Coltfan2005, I don't think Bassett, Joiner, or Keiser are booming towns. The Colony on 14 might be the meth capital of Mississippi County.

Missco

Has Osceola hired a coach yet?

Paperman

Coltfan2005 is an idiot! i love people who live far away from here who love to run this town down! Osceola has reached an agreement with a coach! Details wi be announced once he has informed his current employer of his new hiring!

OB11

Quote from: Paperman on January 19, 2017, 10:56:25 am
Coltfan2005 is an idiot! i love people who live far away from here who love to run this town down! Osceola has reached an agreement with a coach! Details wi be announced once he has informed his current employer of his new hiring!

When is that expected to be?  Is he from the area?

Rick Swines

He is an assistant at Benton or Bryant I think.

Missco

I figure the new coach is Robert Hooks from Loving Lux.

JohnBarleycorn

Hooks is an assistant @ Bryant

OB11

I heard he had applied.  He was a big time player at Rivercrest so that would be an interesting dynamic.

wildboy44

He was the OC at Camden Fairview under Buck James when we were really dominant. Then to Fort Smith Northside as a OL coach. Then to Bryant under Buck James again. You are getting a high quality guy that knows how to win and comes from winning.

Pat Swilling

Quote from: wildboy44 on January 19, 2017, 01:46:25 pm
He was the OC at Camden Fairview under Buck James when we were really dominant. Then to Fort Smith Northside as a OL coach. Then to Bryant under Buck James again. You are getting a high quality guy that knows how to win and comes from winning.

Wow!  now thats a home run hire!

ISU7

Quote from: Missco on January 19, 2017, 11:58:32 am
I figure the new coach is Robert Hooks from Loving Lux.
You are correct sir.

Missco

They had some quality applicants.  I figure it came down to him and the head coach from Germantown High in Memphis, TN,

Pat Swilling

If Osceola landed Coach Hooks then congrates.  Awesome young Coach.  If kids buy in then Look Out!

Radiotalker

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on January 13, 2017, 01:36:16 pm

after all his spewing, Osceola hires a former Colt....................Classic!!

OB11

Quote from: Radiotalker on January 21, 2017, 10:02:42 am

He should be used to winning then.  8)

Qhcaoc

So is the hiring of Hooks official?

ISU7

ISU7

ISU7

Quote from: Radiotalker on January 21, 2017, 10:02:42 am
Yep classic in hiring a former COLT not a present Nole 😜😷😎

Coltfan2005

Quote from: Paperman on January 19, 2017, 10:56:25 am

This from a carpetbagger who has no idea how much he and his buddies have allowed Osceola to sink. All I require from you is to pretend to be a reporter from the end zones. Some of us would like to see the action on the field.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas