• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corning Head Coach

Started by goldoline, December 15, 2016, 09:00:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Made

Quote from: Arkansasprofit on February 07, 2017, 01:40:33 pm
I heard Corning has a new football coach.  It's NOT Mark King I will just say that.  I am too embarrassed to say his name.  I thought they shoulda hired the hometown boy, b/c I thought he was the best candidate. 
its a 4a head coach, what's to be embarrassed about?

OB11

Quote from: Made on February 07, 2017, 01:47:03 pm
its a 4a head coach, what's to be embarrassed about?

From around Corning or a different part of the state?

nuttinbuthogs

bigchief72455

StrongDawg

slowntheMUD

Dont know where you are getting info but been told that no one is hired.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: OB11 on February 07, 2017, 01:56:07 pm
From around Corning or a different part of the state?

Can the man not coach?  Or just been in a bad school?

istruedo

The spread is coming to Corning. This guy had a QB that threw for over 3,600 yards and 34 TD's. Signed with Henderson.

bigchief72455

Quote from: istruedo on February 08, 2017, 11:07:22 am
The spread is coming to Corning. This guy had a QB that threw for over 3,600 yards and 34 TD's. Signed with Henderson.
Anyone can run the spread but running it well is a totally different situation.

Katdaddy

Why does everything think that the "Spread" is always the answer??

FootballFever

Good luck running the spread in Corning. The Administration is getting exactly what they want & that is for football to keep being backseat to Basketball.  Sad for a program that once had great tradition.  I feel for all the alum. 

bigchief72455

Corning needs to stick with a more ground oriented clock controlling offense. They do not have the players to run the spread.

Made

Quote from: bigchief72455 on February 08, 2017, 12:41:34 pm
Corning needs to stick with a more ground oriented clock controlling offense. They do not have the players to run the spread.
What players do you have to have?

bigchief72455

Quote from: Made on February 08, 2017, 01:13:01 pm
What players do you have to have?
I should have said players with the abilities to run the spread. They do not have the speed in the receivers for sure. They start sending out 4 or 5 receivers against the teams they play in conference and there are going to be a lot of picks.

Made

Quote from: bigchief72455 on February 08, 2017, 01:38:00 pm
I should have said players with the abilities to run the spread. They do not have the speed in the receivers for sure. They start sending out 4 or 5 receivers against the teams they play in conference and there are going to be a lot of picks.
How fast do you have to be?

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Katdaddy on February 08, 2017, 12:09:23 pm
Why does everything think that the "Spread" is always the answer??

Many reasons:

1) Spread offense is considered more in common with the highest octane Division One college offenses and of course pro football.

2) People think "spread' they think of ripping up and down the field,  scoring lots of points.   Popular with fans.   Popular with players who think they'll have more opportunities to score points and "be a star".

3) Some parents think that their kids will be less prone to injury in a high concept passing offense instead of a "grind it out in the trenches" ground based one.

In fact the opposite is true.

By the way,  a coach I worked with who has more than 20 years experience as a football coach (including more than 10 as head football coach) said that any coach who came into a program with no prior background in that offense and announced he was "running the spread" was a complete fool.   

If he is telling the truth.   More than a few coaches say they will run the spread as an interview ploy.

2aball

Quote from: Arkansasprofit on February 07, 2017, 07:43:39 am
I have heard they don't want to hire King because a lot of people in the community are wanting them to hire King.  The administration doesn't want to feel bullied by the community, so they are going to hire someone else I have heard.  It may take a little longer, because it's basketball season right now.  Maybe in March or April they will look to hire someone.

Well that seems really dumb. Why would you not want a coach that the majority of your community wanted and supported? If the community is on board, they are more likely to donate, show up at games, and do the things necessary to help your program out. It's very hard for a school to support a successful program all on its own. It needs the help of the community to be able to reach its full potential.

2aball

Quote from: istruedo on February 08, 2017, 11:07:22 am

That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Corning isn't really known for having the offense to run the spread effectively. They are known for being big and physical traditionally. I saw them play last year and if I were the coach of that team I probably wouldn't be installing a spread offense. They should be playing smash mouth offense and solid defense. Wear down their opponents and shorten games up as much as possible.

The spread is pretty hard to run. It takes a ton of reps to be able to run it effectively. There's a reason that you still don't see a ton of high school teams running it. With the popularity of it in college football, it would be ran by tons of teams if it were that simple.

Made

Quote from: 2aball on February 08, 2017, 05:57:20 pm
The spread is pretty hard to run. It takes a ton of reps to be able to run it effectively. There's a reason that you still don't see a ton of high school teams running it. With the popularity of it in college football, it would be ran by tons of teams if it were that simple.

What?

Made

am I reading what he said wrong? it appears he said, that hardly anyone runs the spread? outside of piggot and manila who in their conference doesn't run the spread?

Fife2

There are a ton of high schools that run the spread. Most people think the spread is an offense that throws the ball every play. That's not the case. Some schools do but the philosophy behind the spread is to SPREAD the defense to create lanes whether passing or running. Most schools I've seen love to RUN the football out of the spread. Defenses have to honor the receivers which gives the offense a better ratio to run the power, zone, stretch, and zone read. If you have big physical kids then the spread will work. Don't limit yourself. I'm a smash mouth football fan but I also understand the philosophy behind the spread. Most spread coaches are 60-40 run out of the spread and in some games 75-25. Just my two cents!

Made

go watch what new mexico did this year in the spread highest rushing per game in NCAA this year

GotInfo?

So did they hire Mosley from Cave City?

Arkansasprofit

February 08, 2017, 11:56:34 pm #124 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:00:15 am by Arkansasprofit
I heard the board will vote to approve CC coach tomorrow. One of the key administration doesn't even live in Corning, & they are letting the town know who's running the school!!!  If it was basketball it would be a different story!!!  I hope they checked references before they approve this hire.  It will be a soap opera once he arrives. The school board will likely approve this hire, bc they don't want to make the Corning Administration angry!!  I heard he runs the spread offense. He's been VERY & I mean VERY successful at CC at losing more games than he wins!!!  Hats off to the Corning administration!!

Fife2

He was 2 points away from playoffs his first year and 13 last year... was hired to revitalize a program that had went stagnant and he did. He will definitely be an upgrade from what Corning has had in the past couple of years. He's high energy and the kids better be ready to work.

Oldhound56

I wouldn't say that was the case at Cave City prior to his hire.  They finished 4th in the conference in the last year the previous coach was there and played Malvern very tough in the first round of the playoffs. They were also competitive in games more times than not. They also won a conference championship and made the playoffs 3 times for a program that was only 9 years old.  Stagnant is not the word I would use.  Best of luck to him at Corning, it is a very tough conference.

bigchief72455

He will definitely have his work cut out for him. That conference will not be easy to get wins in and he did not pull any major upsets in the 3-4A conference.

OB11

You're battling for fourth place at best on a consistent basis in the 3-3A behind Rivercrest, Newport, and Osceola.  Piggott's program is on the rise as well as Manila. Walnut Ridge has been consistently good for years. Hoxie fell on hard times this year but Sears does a great job and will have his teams competitive again soon.  It will take time to rebuild that Corning program and become competitive. 

bigchief72455

Quote from: OB11 on February 09, 2017, 09:17:36 am
You're battling for fourth place at best on a consistent basis in the 3-3A behind Rivercrest, Newport, and Osceola.  Piggott's program is on the rise as well as Manila. Walnut Ridge has been consistently good for years. Hoxie fell on hard times this year but Sears does a great job and will have his teams competitive again soon.  It will take time to rebuild that Corning program and become competitive.
It is a tough conference for sure. At least they will see some relief in a couple years when Rivercrest moves up.

Made

Quote from: bigchief72455 on February 09, 2017, 09:39:05 am
It is a tough conference for sure. At least they will see some relief in a couple years when Rivercrest moves up.
Guess that depends on who enters the conference, but you would think it couldn't hurt.

OB11

Quote from: Made on February 09, 2017, 10:16:22 am
Guess that depends on who enters the conference, but you would think it couldn't hurt.

If I had to guess it would be Harrisburg dropping down into that conference.

bigchief72455

Quote from: OB11 on February 09, 2017, 10:44:04 am
If I had to guess it would be Harrisburg dropping down into that conference.
Harrisburg or by some chance and irony Cave City.

Nomad1324

Have heard that Cave City will stay 4A and move west.

Harrisburg will switch with Rivercrest (Best guesses).

bigchief72455

Quote from: Nomad1324 on February 09, 2017, 11:53:50 am
Have heard that Cave City will stay 4A and move west.

Harrisburg will switch with Rivercrest (Best guesses).
Wonder who the 3-4A would get in place of CC if they stay and move west.

OB11

Quote from: bigchief72455 on February 09, 2017, 02:41:25 pm
Wonder who the 3-4A would get in place of CC if they stay and move west.

That's a good question because there aren't really any other 4A schools that are close enough to make sense. 

Probably won't happen next cycle but if Blytheville's enrollment keeps dropping they may be looking at dropping to 4A which would put them in that conference.   :o :o

2aball

Quote from: Made on February 08, 2017, 08:16:56 pm
am I reading what he said wrong? it appears he said, that hardly anyone runs the spread? outside of piggot and manila who in their conference doesn't run the spread?

They run some spread concepts. Very few teams actually run a true spread.

OB11

Quote from: Missco on February 09, 2017, 05:44:44 pm
Cave city is close to Batesville Southside. Can't believe  Corning would hire a womanizer  and thief.

Batesville Southside was the only one that would be close enough to make sense to me.

Made

Quote from: 2aball on February 09, 2017, 05:46:50 pm
They run some spread concepts. Very few teams actually run a true spread.
Can you define what you think spread is so we can be on the same page....I am thinking 2-4 wide's, may do some motions, shot gun snap, plays tend to be of the wing t, zone, I, option philosophies.....just curious

istruedo

Quote from: Fife2 on February 08, 2017, 08:18:55 pm
There are a ton of high schools that run the spread. Most people think the spread is an offense that throws the ball every play. That's not the case. Some schools do but the philosophy behind the spread is to SPREAD the defense to create lanes whether passing or running. Most schools I've seen love to RUN the football out of the spread. Defenses have to honor the receivers which gives the offense a better ratio to run the power, zone, stretch, and zone read. If you have big physical kids then the spread will work. Don't limit yourself. I'm a smash mouth football fan but I also understand the philosophy behind the spread. Most spread coaches are 60-40 run out of the spread and in some games 75-25. Just my two cents!
+1 Exactly

istruedo

Quote from: bigchief72455 on February 08, 2017, 11:13:22 am
Anyone can run the spread but running it well is a totally different situation.
I disagree that anyone can run the spread. But didn't those boys hang 40 on the skins? Cue the excuses in 3...2....1

bigchief72455

February 10, 2017, 02:06:02 pm #141 Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:18:28 pm by bigchief72455
Quote from: istruedo on February 10, 2017, 09:25:15 am
I disagree that anyone can run the spread. But didn't those boys hang 40 on the skins? Cue the excuses in 3...2....1
Who still won by 21 points on our Homecoming night when we played all of our guys? You can hang 40 points on some team and still lose by 21. Good job. Better luck next time. But you are right you did score 40. Who hung 35 on those boys in the 1st quarter?

Olefootballer

Quote from: 2aball on February 08, 2017, 05:50:25 pm
Well that seems really dumb. Why would you not want a coach that the majority of your community wanted and supported? If the community is on board, they are more likely to donate, show up at games, and do the things necessary to help your program out. It's very hard for a school to support a successful program all on its own. It needs the help of the community to be able to reach its full potential.
I think somebody is getting some bad info.  I'm hearing just the opposite.  I know some people, who live in corning, and they told me its just a few alumni who are wanting king and those alumni don't even live there anymore.  they said even though the program is down the community is still in full support of the program  and attendance come game time is still strong.  apparently the majority is wanting to move forward and quit trying to live in the past.

Olefootballer

Quote from: FootballFever on February 08, 2017, 12:36:54 pm
Good luck running the spread in Corning. The Administration is getting exactly what they want & that is for football to keep being backseat to Basketball.  Sad for a program that once had great tradition.  I feel for all the alum.
That's an odd statement, "I feel for all the alum."  Are the alum still suiting up and going thorough summer practice, or playing in the games?  Shouldn't the concern be for current and upcoming players?

Arkansasprofit

I had heard there were a lot of people in town who wanted King, and some that didn't.  Regardless Moseley is the coach now, so better support him, and hope he does well to revitalize the Bobcats!!!  It would be nice if they were competitive again, and not get mercy ruled so much this year.  Gus Malzhan runs the spread offense, and loves to run the football out of it.  Hopefully it will work, and the current Bobcats will buy into it!!!  3-4 wins would be a great season after going 0-20 the past two years!!!  Hope the current Bobcats are working hard in the weightroom for the upcoming season.  It is a tough conference since Newport and Walnut Ridge joined last year.  Who will be the top 4 teams out of the conference this season?  Newport, Rivercrest, Osceola, Piggott, Walnut Ridge, Hoxie, Manila, & Corning.  Is this the conference now, or do I have too many teams?  I couldn't remember if you played 7 or 8 conference games?

bigchief72455

Quote from: Arkansasprofit on February 13, 2017, 07:44:54 am
I had heard there were a lot of people in town who wanted King, and some that didn't.  Regardless Moseley is the coach now, so better support him, and hope he does well to revitalize the Bobcats!!!  It would be nice if they were competitive again, and not get mercy ruled so much this year.  Gus Malzhan runs the spread offense, and loves to run the football out of it.  Hopefully it will work, and the current Bobcats will buy into it!!!  3-4 wins would be a great season after going 0-20 the past two years!!!  Hope the current Bobcats are working hard in the weightroom for the upcoming season.  It is a tough conference since Newport and Walnut Ridge joined last year.  Who will be the top 4 teams out of the conference this season?  Newport, Rivercrest, Osceola, Piggott, Walnut Ridge, Hoxie, Manila, & Corning.  Is this the conference now, or do I have too many teams?  I couldn't remember if you played 7 or 8 conference games?
Those are the teams in that conference for now. Corning needs to pick some good non conference games to get some good reps in before conference season begins.

istruedo

Quote from: bigchief72455 on February 10, 2017, 02:06:02 pm
Who still won by 21 points on our Homecoming night when we played all of our guys? You can hang 40 points on some team and still lose by 21. Good job. Better luck next time. But you are right you did score 40. Who hung 35 on those boys in the 1st quarter?
OK Chief, I'm not suggesting that Cave City is in any way as good as Pokey. I was simply saying that in reference to your comment insinuating Moseley might not run the spread well, that it was run well enough to put up those points. Now to your current statement: #1 Pokey didn't play EVERYONE, though I will grant you they didn't play one of the best ones, #2 Cave City did play everyone not counting special teams, they had to because they only have half the players Pokey does, #3 don't wish me better luck next time, I'm from Pioneer nation. We have made plenty of our own luck on the banks of the river!

Big Country

Beating a dead horse .........Moseley is the Coach and all else does not really matter
good luck to him and the Corning football team

bigchief72455

Quote from: istruedo on February 14, 2017, 09:29:18 am
OK Chief, I'm not suggesting that Cave City is in any way as good as Pokey. I was simply saying that in reference to your comment insinuating Moseley might not run the spread well, that it was run well enough to put up those points. Now to your current statement: #1 Pokey didn't play EVERYONE, though I will grant you they didn't play one of the best ones, #2 Cave City did play everyone not counting special teams, they had to because they only have half the players Pokey does, #3 don't wish me better luck next time, I'm from Pioneer nation. We have made plenty of our own luck on the banks of the river!
It also did not hurt that he had a talented 6'8" quarterback that he will not have at Corning. Pocahontas got up 35 in thew first quarter and pulled most of the starters. Cave City began to score and get back into the game at the half. Pocahontas put the starters back in and ran the score back up then pulled them again. And yes they did do all of this without #11. The Pioneers are a heck of a team. They will probably find more luck again as soon as PA gets bored with beating up the 5A and moves on. Bottom line, he is going to find about as much success in the 3A as he did the 4A.

nuttinbuthogs

What position did Mosely hold at CC.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas