• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hill to Harding?

Started by Made, December 13, 2016, 04:28:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Made

Just had a buddy text me that Hill was going to Harding as the OC? Anyone else heard anything on this rumor?

Made

BTW I'm calling BS on this not saying its true by any stretch, just a rumor

Oldbadger

Well, they do run the same offense.  However, the have the best in the business advising them on this offense, Coach Wheaton led the Bison offense to a great year.  No one better IMO.  However, with Huckaba retiring, who knows?

Rick Swines

Someone is walking into a loaded team. I'm pretty sure they return 18 starters.

Oldbadger

I guess that settles that.  I'm sure he is taking a pretty good cut in pay!  Harding is a great school and Searcy a great town.  But, being a private school, the money just isn't there!  I don't think.  Somebody enlighten us about this!

Maynard G Krebs

titan33

Quote from: Oldbadger on December 13, 2016, 04:46:42 pm
I guess that settles that.  I'm sure he is taking a pretty good cut in pay!  Harding is a great school and Searcy a great town.  But, being a private school, the money just isn't there!  I don't think.  Somebody enlighten us about this!

He can draw his retirement and get paid by Harding, if he does that shouldn't be much difference might even come out making more.

AirWarren

Quote from: titan33 on December 13, 2016, 04:49:06 pm
He can draw his retirement and get paid by Harding, if he does that shouldn't be much difference might even come out making more.

Not sure why anyone would pull from retirement money to make ends meet. But each their own.

So. Who is headed to wynne?

lizard1989

I hope whoever they hire is willing to keep the staff. Those guys put their heart and souls into making Wynne a great team. God bless them, and all the best to coach Hill.

Oldbadger

I would think they would promote from within.  Not many coaches to choose from that run that offense and run it well.  The current coaches know the system and the offense.  I would wager that they will do that.  The coaches who do well won't leave their current situation to go there. 

Oldbadger

Just checked Wynn's team page, Hill has only been coaching 19 years.  Of course he may have other creditable time, but if not, unless he is 60 years old, he can't draw retirement.  i'm sure he feels he can do okay with whatever was offered.  If he has college age kids he will save a mint on tuition.  Anyone, the issue is moot.  It is done!!!

oldjacketman

Back to back 5A East championships, favored to 3-peat, and participated in 2 of the last 3 5A finals. I'll say there will be plenty of interest. Should be interesting.

Maynard G Krebs

Maybe Kiffen hasn't signed the contract FAU. All kidding aside, there will be tons of interested coaches for the gig

WTD

Tyler Turner one of Hill's assistants that left two years ago to be a head coach in Tennessee at Liberty. Just finished playing in the state championship in only his second year as a head coach. Might be interesting

JessieP

This is pretty major. Never underestimate the importance of a coach to high school players. Need proof? did PA play football before Kelly arrived? were they as dominant? now if we can get past the steroid fueled exaggerations and talk honestly let's say this, PA owes it dominance to good coaching. They don't recruit. they don't have 75 D1 players on the roster and they don't buy refs. They have a great system, great coaches and they work hard.

It seems the exaggerated boasting now belongs to Wynne. "They have 18 returning starters", "they have 20 returning starters", "they have 35 returning starters", "every player on the JV is 6'8 and benches 500lbs", "their incoming sophomore skill players won gold in the 4 x 100 relay at the last Olympics", "the jr high team beat Alabama in a scrimmage" blah blah blah...Losing a coach is a major obstacle they'll have to overcome. Do you think the new coach will just show up and say "do what you did last year?". This is not a small deal.   

oldjacketman

JessieP your hatred of Wynne leads to a special kind of ignorance on any wynne related post. The 18 returning starters post was made by someone outside of Wynne. Stop looking for reasons to troll at every turn. We get you hate Wynne. We get Wynne dominated both your sh and JH this year and will continue to do so. Accept the fact that your short-lived dominance is over and stop being a whiny little guy. Now, can we get back to talking about the next coach to continue to lead Wynne's 5A East dominance??

walkingguy72396

My guess is that if one of the current staff applies they will get picked.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 13, 2016, 06:23:26 pm
Maybe Kiffen hasn't signed the contract FAU. All kidding aside, there will be tons of interested coaches for the gig

Gruden to Wynne?

AT

Actually...was PA dominant before Kelley? I really don't know. Genuinely curious.

Rick Swines

Quote from: oldjacketman on December 13, 2016, 07:08:17 pm
JessieP your hatred of Wynne leads to a special kind of ignorance on any wynne related post. The 18 returning starters post was made by someone outside of Wynne. Stop looking for reasons to troll at every turn. We get you hate Wynne. We get Wynne dominated both your sh and JH this year and will continue to do so. Accept the fact that your short-lived dominance is over and stop being a whiny little guy. Now, can we get back to talking about the next coach to continue to lead Wynne's 5A East dominance??

I asked a coaching member there and he said 14 starters returned. Which is still really good for such a dominant season. I was wrong when I stated 18. Either way it is a very good situation.

I know the Jr high went undefeated in conference so there has got to be some talent there. I know the assinstant coaches are second to none in the east.

I see Williams from cc, Turner from Tennessee, Chad Mitchell already on staff all being front runners and all great candidates.

PA Dad

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 13, 2016, 07:25:28 pm
Actually...was PA dominant before Kelley? I really don't know. Genuinely curious.

No.  PA won no championships before Kelley.  They did well the two years before he became head coach, but he was OC then.  Before then PA was not a factor.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: oldjacketman on December 13, 2016, 07:08:17 pm

What if?".......Dave King applied for the job at Wynne?

PA Dad

The intriguing question is how this will effect the team.  Hill is a heckava coach.  Wynne returns a ton of talent, but talent without good coaching rarely succeeds.

Will the new coach run the flexbone?  If not, how will the team respond to a new offense?

Will the assistants be replaced?
I have to think this will negatively impact the team.

oldjacketman

How are you going to replace coaches at a public school? You can't just get rid of a coach. Doesn't work that way in the public school world.

JessieP

Thank you PA Dad. It's nice to get intelligent replies from an adult. Your answer proves my point, coaching is very important at any level, at high school more than anywhere. If the people accusing PA of recruiting/paying players had any merit to their argument PA would have been paying long before Kelley arrived. The loss of a coach is much bigger than 'insert new coach here'.

oldjacketman, you didn't exactly graduate at the top of your class did you? by pointing out false statements doesn't mean hatred. As far as your dominance point, one year does not dominance make. Batesville owns Wynne, has for awhile. We need to make up a lot of ground to catch PA, we just need to be at about 80% to beat Wynne, AGAIN. As far as trolling goes, I have seen very few PA fans boasting. Very few Batesville fans boasting. I have seen a ton of Wynne fans promising 'curb stomps'. Yes, Wynne stomped us this year, congratulations. Won't happen again, win 7 out of 10 then claim dominance. I know why you're so mouthy, you're surprised by the year you had. Teams like PA, Greenwood, Pine Bluff and to a lesser extent Batesville expect to win. They don't need to shout it out loud.

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: JessieP on December 13, 2016, 10:11:54 pm
Thank you PA Dad. It's nice to get intelligent replies from an adult. Your answer proves my point, coaching is very important at any level, at high school more than anywhere. If the people accusing PA of recruiting/paying players had any merit to their argument PA would have been paying long before Kelley arrived. The loss of a coach is much bigger than 'insert new coach here'.

oldjacketman, you didn't exactly graduate at the top of your class did you? by pointing out false statements doesn't mean hatred. As far as your dominance point, one year does not dominance make. Batesville owns Wynne, has for awhile. We need to make up a lot of ground to catch PA, we just need to be at about 80% to beat Wynne, AGAIN. As far as trolling goes, I have seen very few PA fans boasting. Very few Batesville fans boasting. I have seen a ton of Wynne fans promising 'curb stomps'. Yes, Wynne stomped us this year, congratulations. Won't happen again, win 7 out of 10 then claim dominance. I know why you're so mouthy, you're surprised by the year you had. Teams like PA, Greenwood, Pine Bluff and to a lesser extent Batesville expect to win. They don't need to shout it out loud.

Are you a PA alum or just in awe of their success?

Wynne will be just fine, there is a great staff in place, tremendous support, full administration backing the program and student athletes that will work their tails off.   It is a great foundation and tradition for someone to step into.   

PA Dad

Quote from: oldjacketman on December 13, 2016, 10:10:38 pm
How are you going to replace coaches at a public school? You can't just get rid of a coach. Doesn't work that way in the public school world.

I assume you are talking about assistants.  I confess I am ignorant regarding assistants and what, if anything, a new coach can do to replace them.

In a public school, is a new head coach required to keep current assistants?

What if the new coach installs a completely new system? 

I think that would really disrupt a team and cause problems.

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: PA Dad on December 13, 2016, 10:22:06 pm
I assume you are talking about assistants.  I confess I am ignorant regarding assistants and what, if anything, a new coach can do to replace them.

In a public school, is a new head coach required to keep current assistants?

What if the new coach installs a completely new system? 

I think that would really disrupt a team and cause problems.

Very few times can you find where an incoming coach can change or bring in new staff.  It doesn't work that way.   Can they change some around as in different assignments or responsibilities after they get there, yes but can't just replace as they see fit.   Plus, I would put our staff up against most out there...my fear is we lose
1 or 2 to HC openings at other schools. 

PA Dad

Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on December 13, 2016, 10:17:09 pm
Are you a PA alum or just in awe of their success?

Wynne will be just fine, there is a great staff in place, tremendous support, full administration backing the program and student athletes that will work their tails off.   It is a great foundation and tradition for someone to step into.

There is no doubt that Wynne is one of the best programs in 5A.  I have a great admiration for the Wynne program and I've picked Wynne to be the primary challenger to PA next year.

But, changing head coaches is always challenging.  It will effect the team.

the voice

December 13, 2016, 10:28:04 pm #30 Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:12:06 am by the voice
Quote from: PA Dad on December 13, 2016, 09:54:31 pm
The intriguing question is how this will effect the team.  Hill is a heckava coach.  Wynne returns a ton of talent, but talent without good coaching rarely succeeds.

Will the new coach run the flexbone?  If not, how will the team respond to a new offense?

Will the assistants be replaced?
I have to think this will negatively impact the team.

Speaking from experience in this situation,  I always had the utmost respect for CH, he left morrilton after blowing out many teams , beating them badly ,then a runner up finish with the majority of the team returning. He turned the program around. As he has done in other places. New coach came in , the team flopped in the quarterfinals I think.  Two D1 players on that team as well as couple of d2s I think. Coaching plays a huge role. Wynne was struggling before he arrived. He has built the program up. 

oldjacketman

PA Dad, public school assistants can't be replaced unless they leave on their own. And yes, a new coach could install a new system and yes, that could do all sorts of things. I think wynne will be fine tho.

JessicaP, 4 state championships, 6 title game appearances, close to 30 conference championships, and we are inferior to you??? Puhlease!!! One poster used the word curb stomp. You're a funny little guy. I recall lots of batesville posters talking before the game this season, then lots of excuses after. Your team was over 80% this season and got hammered. Your offense was at full strength and gained less than 100 yards. Your JH got smacked. It's over for you guys.

PA Dad

It will be very interesting to see what happens.  I think Wynne is very attractive to a coach on the way up. I suspect they will get a good one.  But I also suspect the new coach will install a new offense.

I wish Wynne the best except when they play PA.

Grond

I have also heard that Hill has gone to Harding University. I consider my source reliable, but I have not seen anything at the Harding website.

Harding University [HU] is an NCAA Division 2 college in Searcy. They have 6,000 students, and an average ACT score of around 26 for incoming freshmen. They have a very good football team, which runs the flexbone offense. Harding won the Great American Conference this year.

NOTE: I am NOT talking about Harding Academy, which is a 3A private school located in Searcy, next to Harding University.

I was surprised by this, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. A number of D2 college coaches came from the high school ranks, and there are not many flexbone coaches out there.

bigchief72455

Quote from: Grond on December 14, 2016, 09:44:04 am
I have also heard that Hill has gone to Harding University. I consider my source reliable, but I have not seen anything at the Harding website.

Harding University [HU] is an NCAA Division 2 college in Searcy. They have 6,000 students, and an average ACT score of around 26 for incoming freshmen. They have a very good football team, which runs the flexbone offense. Harding won the Great American Conference this year.

NOTE: I am NOT talking about Harding Academy, which is a 3A private school located in Searcy, next to Harding University.

I was surprised by this, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. A number of D2 college coaches came from the high school ranks, and there are not many flexbone coaches out there.
It was in today's Jonesboro Sun.

titan33

Quote from: PA Dad on December 13, 2016, 09:54:31 pm

They need to stay in this offense they are built for it, they could be a powerhouse running the triple option attack and compete for a state title year end and year out.

Sporty

Always interesting  this time of year to watch the coaching carousel go around. This will cause a lot of changes in the state.

stinger1

interested candidates. current AD kenneth moore, tyler turner, assistant coach mitchell, o line coach clark mcbride

Red Devil Alum

I guess hill decided that if you can't beat the private schools, join them.

I kid.

FD4

Hint, the flexbone is simply put, an option offense.  So is the offset I, single wing, one back, and the Pro I.  Oh and almost forgot, Power I, with the jumbo package in short yardage.  But, offense is no problem for Wynne, its defense must be kept on track, some new innovations may be on the horizon. Just a hint.  If it does, it comes with the same winning percentage as Coach Hill over the past six years.

oldjacketman

Their defense was one of the top in the state all year. Why change that?

Made

Quote from: stinger1 on December 14, 2016, 10:28:43 am
interested candidates. current AD kenneth moore, tyler turner, assistant coach mitchell, o line coach clark mcbride

I would love to be on the hiring committee of the job I want..... ;)

purpleswag

Quote from: Made on December 14, 2016, 01:22:53 pm
I would love to be on the hiring committee of the job I want..... ;)

LOL! Seriously!! Weird

FD4

It takes a special set of Defensive Backs to work single cover, that and I have seen some better run defense at times.  But I will agree with you on how good we were all season long.  We only averaged allowing 17 points per game up to the championship game.  If we dont commit all the turnovers save three, convert the four we lost, that is a 56 point difference in that game alone, could have made a difference.  Water under the bridge now however.  Could not be more proud of the guys on the field or the coaching staff either.  Super Great Season.

fhc

Quote from: purpleswag on December 14, 2016, 01:40:47 pm
LOL! Seriously!! Weird

I spoke to him. He will not be in on the hiring

Made

Hard to believe the AD wouldn't be in on the hiring process for a head coach, but if he wanted to be in the running, it makes sense. What all coaches around the state run that offense off the tops of your heads? If that is the offense they are wanting to run.

Mt. Home coach Davis Joyce

I know there have to be others.

MoTownDog

Hill has one kid at Harding and another probably fixing to go.  The break he will receive on tuition alone will offset what ever salary he had a Wynne.

Oldbadger

I agree with this ^^^.  A private church affiliated school is not cheap.  Can go to Baylor for the same money! lol (Just kidding, I don't know what the cost to Baylor is). lol

Oldbadger

Prairie Grove and Lake Hamilton run that offense.  I don't think you could pry or pay them enough to leave their situations and go to Wynne.  Sheridan runs it and Mt. Home.  It fits some situations, but if you get behind in the score, it's over!

Grond

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas