• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3a

Started by Redbug Loyal, December 12, 2016, 08:37:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbug Loyal

Seems like it will be a down year for most of the southern 3a. Thoughts?

RabidWolf

I think Horatio should be pretty good. Smackover has some talent returning and Genoa should be good. But Idk that any will be as good as the past years

eldowildcatfan

JUnction City was moved to 3a and they have a solid team.  They have a freshman that is a game changer and should make them contenders.  If the coach will play him over seniors unlike el dorado coach.  If the dragon staff lets him on the field go watch the show. It's worth the 8 dollar admission. Very humble kid with a very big future. 

RabidWolf

neaguru

In NEA I expect walnut ridge, riverside and Manila to be the best 3a teams.
Walnut ridge has a rich baseball tradition and are always good.
Riverside brings back 7 starters from a state quarterfinals team last year lead by Gavin stone.
Manila will still be very young after starting 7 freshman last year but are very talented.

OB11

Quote from: neaguru on December 17, 2016, 06:48:58 am
In NEA I expect walnut ridge, riverside and Manila to be the best 3a teams.
Walnut ridge has a rich baseball tradition and are always good.
Riverside brings back 7 starters from a state quarterfinals team last year lead by Gavin stone.
Manila will still be very young after starting 7 freshman last year but are very talented.

Isn't Manila bringing back all 9 starters from last year?

Head Lion

Manila returns all 9 starters, has an All State Jr transfer pitcher/SS from New Jersey & a couple of freshman from last years Jr hi District champs that will push for playing time.

Rebelfan77

Riverside actually returns all 9 starters.

baseball man

The freshmen from JC last name is Hodge.

jr17

Don't sleep on Mayflower.

Dirty dawg

Quote from: Rebelfan77 on December 18, 2016, 01:19:02 pm
Riverside actually returns all 9 starters.
plus a couple freshman and a move in from Rivercrest

baseball man

Quote from: eldowildcatfan on December 16, 2016, 02:07:54 pm
JUnction City was moved to 3a and they have a solid team.  They have a freshman that is a game changer and should make them contenders.  If the coach will play him over seniors unlike el dorado coach.  If the dragon staff lets him on the field go watch the show. It's worth the 8 dollar admission. Very humble kid with a very big future.

baseball man

Didn't Junction lose 7 starting Seniors.

jr17

And 1 freshman can't make a team. I don't care how good he is.

Head Lion

Quote from: jr17 on December 22, 2016, 11:15:42 am
And 1 freshman can't make a team. I don't care how good he is.
Amen

baseball man

agree. He can't pitch every game

Head Lion

With the new pitch count requirements, unlike the past, you better have 3-5 guys that can get people out.

jr17

He's a freshman. What's he pitching, 84, 85?

Moose

Quote from: baseball man on December 19, 2016, 10:07:04 am
The freshmen from JC last name is Hodge.

I agree, that he is very good.  However, he has been playing down in travel ball with the younger age group and has not been competing against his class.  It will be interesting to see how well he does making the jump.

Moose

Harmony Grove (Benton) should be much improved as they have seen several move ins and a pretty decent freshman class.

BirdsontheBat27

Find it funny how some of these schools have "move-in" each time they lose a bunch from graduation. 

Moose

Quote from: BirdsontheBat27 on December 28, 2016, 11:10:37 am
Find it funny how some of these schools have "move-in" each time they lose a bunch from graduation.

You will continue to see move in's from Benton to HG.  Also, Bauxite getting it's share from Bryant and Benton both.

jr17

In the years I've been following, these move in's usually are a lot of hype. The exception this year is obviously the Hog commit at Horatio. Other than that, I'll have to see the HG move ins for myself.

jr17

And I just can't see HG being improved after what they graduated. That was a lot of talent.

baseball man

Quote from: Moose on December 28, 2016, 09:27:14 am
I agree, that he is very good.  However, he has been playing down in travel ball with the younger age group and has not been competing against his class.  It will be interesting to see how well he does making the jump.

baseball man

December 30, 2016, 10:09:57 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 11:13:15 am by baseball man
I agree you know what you are talking about. Pitching from 54' is different than 60. Not knocking Hodge good talent. Very  impressive but playing against 13 year old and going to high school is different.

T-Bone

I do not know any of these players since always been 6A.  I can say talent can come from any size of school or draw.  The one thing that without a doubt from watching many games from LL to travel ball to showcase ball is always play up if you can compete and get to play on the team.  The only reasons I can see a person playing down is due to wanting to play with kids they are close to or would not get to play on the team if playing up.  Playing up will make a stronger player quicker.

baseball man

Totally agree travelball at the major level is to make them better.

T-Bone

Quote from: baseball man on December 30, 2016, 10:26:27 pm
Totally agree travelball at the major level is to make them better.

Always compete at the highest level possible.  One down fall I have seen over and over is many travel ball teams are more worried about the W than the pitchers arms.  Forget innings and do a pitch count.  Make sure the coach will agree to it if your kid is a pitcher and follows the plan.  Nothing in baseball really can compete with ticking me off more than a coach that goes overboard on a pitcher to get the final win.  That goes with high school too.  For sure the smaller schools that do not have as many to choose from as most of the larger schools.  If your kid is good enough get them in showcase ball after high school ball.  They play the school year then play showcase where they get the competition at high levels and most restrict over use of a pitchers arm.  My son does high school then showcase.  He gets to play for his school then in showcase he only pitches usually 2 innings.  Unless at the end of the season and they go to a Perfect Game or some other big event.  But they have restrictions there as well.

baseball man

Me and you think a lot alike. My son plays showcase play never goes pass two inngings. I hate travel teams hurting a kid to win. Been there done that.

Rick Swines

The Hodge Kid is very good but I agree he has been playing travel ball against the current 8th graders.  He is the best pitcher in the state for the current 8th grade class.  I think he throws right at 80 and that was last june I saw him last.  He has a great glove and a decent bat.  He will be a game changer when he is a junior or senior but will be just a good player until then. 

baseball man

Leave it to JC to have talent year, after year, after year, after year!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck to him and all the players. I am just ready for season to start.

Head Lion

Manila had 11 of the non hoopsters outside working today at a balmy 28 degrees.😳😳

jr17

Mayflower as well. Except they had about 25 or so. Crazy how many kids came out this year. I think I heard 37 total. With all 9 starters and every pitcher not playing basketball.

T-Bone

Quote from: jr17 on January 05, 2017, 10:36:17 pm
Mayflower as well. Except they had about 25 or so. Crazy how many kids came out this year. I think I heard 37 total. With all 9 starters and every pitcher not playing basketball.

They may not be playing basketball which can be good for more attention to baseball but how many are on a weight program in off season football then go to baseball?  My son hit 88 high last week when saying he was around 80 to 85 percent in a gradual come back into the baseball season.  Then in same indoor atmosphere this week only hit 83 tops at around what he feels is around 80 to 85 percent.  That is 5 mph off.  Then another player was around 5 mph off.  Same indoor building with same speed clock.  The only difference was both the boys got out of a weight program earlier in the day with offseason football and were worn out.  We all know a good weight program is great for the players for many reason but do you feel even the football program can interfere with baseball progress with those that see more of a future in baseball than football?  By the way I love football and baseball and weight lifting.  But if a player sees a very good "possible" future in baseball is it getting to where the player goes one sport only or stays in multiple?

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on January 06, 2017, 12:52:32 pm
They may not be playing basketball which can be good for more attention to baseball but how many are on a weight program in off season football then go to baseball?  My son hit 88 high last week when saying he was around 80 to 85 percent in a gradual come back into the baseball season.  Then in same indoor atmosphere this week only hit 83 tops at around what he feels is around 80 to 85 percent.  That is 5 mph off.  Then another player was around 5 mph off.  Same indoor building with same speed clock.  The only difference was both the boys got out of a weight program earlier in the day with offseason football and were worn out.  We all know a good weight program is great for the players for many reason but do you feel even the football program can interfere with baseball progress with those that see more of a future in baseball than football?  By the way I love football and baseball and weight lifting.  But if a player sees a very good "possible" future in baseball is it getting to where the player goes one sport only or stays in multiple?

It doesn't matter in throwing a bullpen in the gym. I always told mine not to lift or workout on days he was pitching or playing, outside of that, it was just a workout. It seemed the football coaches would want them to do a "max" on game day, or an inter squad scrimmage that was important, I told him not to worry about it.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2017, 01:52:34 pm
It doesn't matter in throwing a bullpen in the gym. I always told mine not to lift or workout on days he was pitching or playing, outside of that, it was just a workout. It seemed the football coaches would want them to do a "max" on game day, or an inter squad scrimmage that was important, I told him not to worry about it.

As I said I love baseball, football and lifting.  Timing is a key.  I like all our coaches in all areas.  I do think they may often have no clue what is going on in the other sports other than their own.  That is not meant as a cut down it is meant as an observation.

jr17

Mayflower doesnt do mixing sports. The baseball team lifts Mon, Wed, Fri every week after practice. The football players come to baseball as soon as football is over.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on January 06, 2017, 05:00:30 pm
As I said I love baseball, football and lifting.  Timing is a key.  I like all our coaches in all areas.  I do think they may often have no clue what is going on in the other sports other than their own.  That is not meant as a cut down it is meant as an observation.

The off season in football generally has a schedule they follow as far as lifts, they aren't going to worry about a baseball player missing a lift due to a bullpen/game. Generally it's kids the contribute in both and they know they're going to do the work.

Head Lion

Jr, ricepig, these are one of our hardest issues and that is the sharing of what few athletes we have.

ricepig

Quote from: Head Lion on January 06, 2017, 06:35:49 pm
Jr, ricepig, these are one of our hardest issues and that is the sharing of what few athletes we have.

I've got no respect for a coach that limits a high school player to one sport, you only play these games once in your life. Now, should you have some talent and really have the ability to play in college, I don't blame a player for wanting to work one sport towards that. However, most college coaches like kids that play multiple sports.

Head Lion

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2017, 06:52:26 pm
I've got no respect for a coach that limits a high school player to one sport, you only play these games once in your life. Now, should you have some talent and really have the ability to play in college, I don't blame a player for wanting to work one sport towards that. However, most college coaches like kids that play multiple sports.
Ricepig, I knew if we went long enough we would agree on something. Totally agree with your point 100%.

jr17

They're not limiting to one sport. But it's more of a focus during the season. If I'm a coach, I don't want my starting catcher doing squats in football a month and a half before our season starts. They get their lifting in with the entire baseball team.

ricepig

Quote from: jr17 on January 06, 2017, 08:19:08 pm
They're not limiting to one sport. But it's more of a focus during the season. If I'm a coach, I don't want my starting catcher doing squats in football a month and a half before our season starts. They get their lifting in with the entire baseball team.

I'd say our baseball team doesn't lift as a team, or didn't 6-8 years ago. I'm not sure with the block schedule they've been on the last few years how it has changed practice times. I know in taking with the coaches it gave them time to get in a good practice on JV home game days, and vice versa.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2017, 09:43:17 am
I'd say our baseball team doesn't lift as a team, or didn't 6-8 years ago. I'm not sure with the block schedule they've been on the last few years how it has changed practice times. I know in taking with the coaches it gave them time to get in a good practice on JV home game days, and vice versa.

If we're talking same team which I do believe we are.
I know one schedule well and a couple others similar that love both football and baseball and no weights in baseball at this time.

A normal day:
1. School (Have to make grades.)
2. Football off season
3. Baseball as team (No lifting.) (At this time to cold to do any field work but can get inside work.)
4. School work
5. Cardio mixed with stretching and pitching. (up to 4 nights per week)'(slowly get back into mound work / not school)
6. One on one baseball hitting (one night per week / not school)
7. School (Have to make grades.)

When season starts baseball will be team baseball practice, non team one on one hitting once per week and non team pitching and cardio once per week.

As per the one I know best with this schedule other than what he does as a team he chooses the one on one hitting and one on one pitching once per week along with some of the cardio as long as "he makes his grades".  Grades have to come first of all of this activity.  He just seems to love the game and workouts.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on January 07, 2017, 11:48:37 am
If we're talking same team which I do believe we are.
I know one schedule well and a couple others similar that love both football and baseball and no weights in baseball at this time.

A normal day:
1. School (Have to make grades.)
2. Football off season
3. Baseball as team (No lifting.) (At this time to cold to do any field work but can get inside work.)
4. School work
5. Cardio mixed with stretching and pitching. (up to 4 nights per week)'(slowly get back into mound work / not school)
6. One on one baseball hitting (one night per week / not school)
7. School (Have to make grades.)

When season starts baseball will be team baseball practice, non team one on one hitting once per week and non team pitching and cardio once per week.

As per the one I know best with this schedule other than what he does as a team he chooses the one on one hitting and one on one pitching once per week along with some of the cardio as long as "he makes his grades".  Grades have to come first of all of this activity.  He just seems to love the game and workouts.

Do they even do any out of season workouts for the kids that are baseball only? I read where these other schools have early season workouts that start when school starts, but I can't remember too many, if any that only played one sport. I think a few might have worked out on their own, but nothing "official". Now, the baseball coach was the tennis coach then, so it didn't leave anyone to run anything. Also, it seemed if they didn't play football, they played basketball, tennis, golf, or was on the swim team, and had something after school. Anyway, this thread was about 3A, ha.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2017, 12:16:54 pm
Do they even do any out of season workouts for the kids that are baseball only? I read where these other schools have early season workouts that start when school starts, but I can't remember too many, if any that only played one sport. I think a few might have worked out on their own, but nothing "official". Now, the baseball coach was the tennis coach then, so it didn't leave anyone to run anything. Also, it seemed if they didn't play football, they played basketball, tennis, golf, or was on the swim team, and had something after school. Anyway, this thread was about 3A, ha.

Yes it was 3A but this is a subject for all classes from large schools to small schools.  By the way you mentioned an awesome sport that can help all other sports if done right.  Swimming is an excellent sport and I do have one in swim and he does ok but he is in it for fitness and not competition.

jr17

I agree on the swimming!! If done right, thats the best workout!

ZoneBuster

Although frustrating, I don't think you should worry too much about working out and velocity being down in January. With as much as he works out, it's pretty easy to see how his velocity is down some. Given proper recovery I'm sure his velo will be just fine.

Now game days I definitely agree he should not be required to lift for other sports. If it's really a big deal, sounds like the baseball coach needs to talk to the football coach and work something out. Baseball guys could get in cardio or a lighter workout if in football off season.

T-Bone

Quote from: ZoneBuster on January 08, 2017, 06:19:27 pm
Although frustrating, I don't think you should worry too much about working out and velocity being down in January. With as much as he works out, it's pretty easy to see how his velocity is down some. Given proper recovery I'm sure his velo will be just fine.

The player did take up to 10 weeks off throwing a ball of any kind (but played football) and has came back in slow with a great ball program.  Has gone through a long toss and slowly lead into a small bullpen and not at 100 percent.  Hitting a high number for early season and not being 100 percent.  This is a young arm but was hitting 5 mph slower while someone in his same class was also hitting 5 mph slower and both had lifted earlier.  They both love both games and both football and baseball have great coaches.  The player I know best only took 8 weeks off hitting but again 10 weeks off throwing of any kind.
There are some that work very hard but if the other players had the attitude these two have been showing for some time our team would without a doubt be a big threat.  But much like most other schools there are some that work and some that work a whole lot less.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas