• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A-3

Started by dirtbagger, December 08, 2016, 05:13:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtbagger

What teams and players are going to stand out this year? 

macadoshis

FNLsupporter

Quote from: macadoshis on December 09, 2016, 11:09:52 am
Zac Dillard, Lamar
Mac, the topic was referring to the 4A Region 3. I think you were posting for 3A Region 4

Nomad1324

You talking about the combined conferences or the overall?

If I recall a few teams are experiencing quite a bit of roster turnover...but don't hold me to that, haven't followed it closely

dirtbagger

I was hoping to get some insight on 4A-3 teams

Nomad1324

December 12, 2016, 01:42:29 pm #5 Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:51:07 pm by Nomad1324
Like I said, I believe a few of them experienced some roster turnover.

Will be interesting with the split conference how that shakes out.

Anyone more knowledgeable than I am (which could be a lot of you) can add to that.

NEA Razorback olfan

Brookland has everyone back except CF, and 1B

Nomad1324

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on January 28, 2017, 10:40:30 pm
Brookland has everyone back except CF, and 1B

I thought they were young last season. A lot of the other conference teams were pretty upperclassmen heavy I thought.

Nomad1324

What's the pitching look like in this group?

With the new limitations on pitches, may be the difference in who moves on.

NEA Razorback olfan

January 31, 2017, 09:51:41 pm #9 Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:00:40 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: Nomad1324 on January 30, 2017, 04:31:32 pm
What's the pitching look like in this group?

With the new limitations on pitches, may be the difference in who moves on.

Brookland returns their starting pitchers
Jr Brandon Glenn
Sr Ethan Allred
Plus 3-4 relievers

dirtbagbaseball

1. Gosnell
2. Brookland
3. Westside
4. Trumann
5. Pocahontas
6. Cave City
7. Harrisburg
8. Highland

OB11

Who ended up getting the Pocahontas head baseball job?

Nomad1324

Quote from: OB11 on February 01, 2017, 01:05:18 pm
Who ended up getting the Pocahontas head baseball job?

I had heard it was Corning's coach. Name escapes me.

Nomad1324

Quote from: dirtbagbaseball on February 01, 2017, 09:31:44 am
1. Gosnell
2. Brookland
3. Westside
4. Trumann
5. Pocahontas
6. Cave City
7. Harrisburg
8. Highland

Highland goes from making the Regional to last place...just how much did they lose? Interesting seeing four teams from the South end of the conference (South Blended) taking the top four spots.

dirtbagbaseball

Quote from: Nomad1324 on February 02, 2017, 12:13:53 pm
Highland goes from making the Regional to last place...just how much did they lose? Interesting seeing four teams from the South end of the conference (South Blended) taking the top four spots.

Lost 7 of 9 regulars maybe?  Those top 4 have a good number of quality guys coming back I believe, the bottom half not so much...

TheSpecial

Predictions

1. Gosnell (Wins 22+ games, State Semi, Roberts and Miller will be fun to watch)
2. Brookland (Win 15-18 games, will click at end of year, Glenn controls tempo of game phenomally)
3. Westside (Core group coming back into play, losing some key players so will drop)
4.  Trumann (Young talent to develop)
5. Pocahontas (Loss of Snyder will see effects)
6. Highland
7. Cave City
8. Harrisburg

T-Bone

Quote from: TheSpecial on February 05, 2017, 08:05:03 pm
Predictions

1. Gosnell (Wins 22+ games, State Semi, Roberts and Miller will be fun to watch)
2. Brookland (Win 15-18 games, will click at end of year, Glenn controls tempo of game phenomally)
3. Westside (Core group coming back into play, losing some key players so will drop)
4.  Trumann (Young talent to develop)
6. Highland
7. Cave City

Just wondering who you feel is the "core" group for Westside.  I know two and they are both Sophomores that can play.  What grade level at Westside?

Nomad1324

I'm also interested in what you know about Westside. I saw them a few times last Spring and thought they were pretty young. Maybe I'm missing something.

Heard Pocahontas lost some kids after Snyder left, anyone got the lowdown on that?

This conference may get crazy from the sounds of things.

TheSpecial

Westside has many Juniors that got a lot of innings played last year and played roles in their success. Losing Gooch, Tosh, and Schwarz will hurt however.

T-Bone

Quote from: TheSpecial on February 08, 2017, 11:24:22 am
Westside has many Juniors that got a lot of innings played last year and played roles in their success. Losing Gooch, Tosh, and Schwarz will hurt however.

I think a lot of JT and he will be missed by them I am sure.  I don't really know the other two mentioned. 

dirtbagbaseball

They'll have a top-5 in the league SP coming back in Tyler.  They don't have a whole lot behind him though.

Nomad1324

Better be glad they went away from DHs then...lol ;D

Honestly, this league could be a dogfight, though I'm not overly sure how good any of them are or will be.

Brick Tamland

Quote from: TheSpecial on February 05, 2017, 08:05:03 pm
Predictions

You are 100% correct.  It may take a year or two, but I expect they will completely recover from that debacle. 

OB11

Quote from: Brick Tamland on February 15, 2017, 08:36:20 am
You are 100% correct.  It may take a year or two, but I expect they will completely recover from that debacle.

Debacle? Care to explain?

Brick Tamland

Quote from: OB11 on February 15, 2017, 09:18:20 am
Debacle? Care to explain?
Sure:
DEBACLE

NOUN

A sudden and ignominious failure; a fiasco:

This is from the English Oxford Dictionary, the wording may be different, but I believe the definition would be close in all dictionaries. 

OB11

Quote from: Brick Tamland on February 15, 2017, 02:11:26 pm
Sure:
DEBACLE

NOUN

A sudden and ignominious failure; a fiasco:

This is from the English Oxford Dictionary, the wording may be different, but I believe the definition would be close in all dictionaries.

Thanks for clearing that up...

Now...care to explain why you used that specific noun to describe what happened with Snyder at Pocahontas?  :)

dirtbagbaseball

Quote from: OB11 on February 15, 2017, 08:55:28 pm
Thanks for clearing that up...

Now...care to explain why you used that specific noun to describe what happened with Snyder at Pocahontas?  :)

I'm curious as well. Considering what it was before he got there...did they not win a conference title and go to the state tournament for the first time in recent memory??

Nomad1324

Quote from: dirtbagbaseball on February 15, 2017, 09:56:47 pm
I'm curious as well. Considering what it was before he got there...did they not win a conference title and go to the state tournament for the first time in recent memory??

Put me in the category as intrigued by your comments as well...please elaborate on why his time at Pocahontas was such a "debacle".

TheSpecial

I feel as if he is referencing the loss of him as a debacle, not the time itself, unless he thinks the last couple of years have been a failure. Which I don't see how that is a thing.

Brick Tamland

Quote from: TheSpecial on February 16, 2017, 09:12:52 am
I feel as if he is referencing the loss of him as a debacle, not the time itself, unless he thinks the last couple of years have been a failure. Which I don't see how that is a thing.

Oh no.  Make no mistake.  Snyder's time at Pocahontas was a failure.  In order to answer the question of what I mean is a long and complicated process.  You must realize and understand a couple of things.  1.  I have paid attention to Pocahontas Athletics for a very long time.  2.  I am realistic about the outlook of Pocahontas athletics.  3.  I have a very good memory.  With that being said if you are all still inclined I will begin this journey of what a failure the three years of Snyder were at PHS.  In order to completely understand my point I will break down my argument into four segments.

I.  The Head Coach the six years prior to Snyder, and how he performed.

II.  Snyder's performance in the three years he was at Pocahontas.

III.  Snyder's effect on the baseball program at PHS

IV.  Snyder's effect on other programs at PHS. 

So, if you are really interested in a long journey I will happily comply and begin my argument. 

OB11

Nomad1324

Brick Tamland

I.  The previous coach and his performance. (As well as Pocahontas male athletic performance in other sports in the same years.)

The previous coach took over the baseball program in the 2007-2008 school year.  That year the baseball program went to the regional tournament and lost in the first round to Stuttgart.  The football team had a very good year that year, they went 9-4, and lost in the quarterfinals to a Dollarway team that would go on to the finals.  The basketball team also had a very good year and was ranked 1st or 2nd in the state most of the year, they got a very bad draw in the regional and lost to Newport in the first round.  Now, on the surface it is easy to say well the baseball team "underachieved" they were never ranked first or second in the state and did not make the quarter finals of the state tournament.  However, lets look a little closer at that year.  The conference was split into divisions that year and Pocahontas finished second in the "North" division to Valley View.  Pocahontas advanced to the district tournament semifinals and lost to "South" champion Rivercrest 10-7.  Then lost the consolation game to "South" runner up Gosnell 18-16.  The reason that is significant is that Valley View beat Gosnell in the state semi finals later that month, and then beat Rivercrest in the finals to win the state championship.  Valley View was much better than Pocahontas that year but, they easily could have been in Gosnell or Rivercrests position.

2008-2009 Pocahontas missed the playoffs in football for the first time in 10 years, and the basketball team did not make the regional tournament.  The baseball team finished above .500 but did not make the regionals either. 

2009-2010 Pocahontas football team went 1-9, the basketball team did not make the regional tournament again.  The baseball team finished slightly below .500 and missed the regional tournament.

2010-2011  Pocahontas football team missed the playoffs again for the third year in a row, the first time in 26 years that a class went through Pocahontas without making the football playoffs at least once.  The basketball team missed the regional tournament again.  The baseball team finished well above .500 and made the regional tournament. 

2011-2012  Pocahontas returns to the football playoffs and loses in the first round to Gravette.  The basketball team fails to make the regional tournament.  The baseball team loses a tough game to Gosnell to go to the Regional tournament.  Pocahontas had the lead with two outs and a runner on second when a player made a costly error on a routine ball that scored the tying run and put the winning run on third.  Base hit sealed Pocahontas fate.

2012-2013  The coach in questions last year.  This was a tough year Pocahontas made the football playoffs as the four seed, and the basketball team made an outstanding run in the state tournament making it to the semifinals.  The baseball team went 1-9 in conference.  The baseball team started 1 senior, 1 junior who had just moved back that year, 4 sophomores, and 3 freshmen.  Now an interesting thing about this team was except for Valley View they had the lead on every team in the conference in the 5th inning or later in at least one game (If it was a double header) or the single game against the teams from the other side.  They also upset Truman in the first round of the district tournament.  They were a young team that was learning how to win.  At this point the Head Coach before Snyder stepped down leaving a cupboard very full. 

I put this out there as a rebuttal to the narrative that Snyder came into a situation that baseball was completely in ruins.  During the previous coaches tenure Pocahontas went through a period were there was not a lot of athletic success from any of the male sports. Baseball had an equal amount of success in this period as the other male sports.   If the interest is still there after reading this long post I will move on to Roman Numeral II. 

Nomad1324

Brick Tamland

February 17, 2017, 02:51:36 pm #34 Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:20:23 pm by Brick Tamland
II. Snyder's performance in the three years he was at Pocahontas. or (It was what it was supposed to be.)

Matt Snyder took over the baseball program at Pocahontas in the 2013-2014 school year.  This was an extremely tough year for the players, coaches, fans, and citizens of Pocahontas.  In June of this year a young athlete entering his senior year was tragically killed in an automobile accident breaking the heart of the community.  Three months later the community would be devastated to learn that their beloved football coach of 32 years was diagnosed with cancer, and further saddened when he passed away three short months later. (This is important information to remember for part III, if we get there.)

It is important in this discussion to remember a couple of things:

1.  This conference was divided into divisions with Valley View, Brookland, Trumann, and Gosnell being in the South division, and Pocahontas, Westside, Highland, and Cave City making up the North Division.  This is important because each team played the teams on their side a double header and the teams on the other a single game, with the winner of each division getting a bye into the semi finals of district tournament and a spot in the regional tournament.

2.  The Eight starters that returned from last years team break down by class like this 1-Senior, 4-Juniors, 3-Sophomores, and two very talented Freshman joined the team this year. (Another important point to remember for part III)

2013-2014 The Pocahontas football team went 5-5 in the regular season finishing fourth in the conference and lost to Lonoke in the first round of the playoffs, the basketball team finished 5th in conference and just missed the regional tournament.  The baseball team went 6-4 in conference losing to three of the teams on the other side of the conference, but winning the North division giving them a bye into the semifinals and a spot in the Regional tournament.  The baseball team lost  their semifinal match up but received the 3rd seed as a reward for winning their division losing to Clinton in a well played game.

2014-2015
Two very important developments happened this year. 
1.  Valley View moved out of the conference and Harrisburg moved in.
2.  The baseball coaches voted to do away with the conference tournament as well as the split divisions and play everyone a double header.   

The Pocahontas football team had an outstanding year finishing the season 9-1 and winning a tri-conference championship but receiving the number 1 seed in the playoffs, and beat a very talented Robinson team in the first round before losing to Shiloh 14-7.  The basketball team was ranked in the top three in the state all year long and went undefeated in conference but hit a bump in the road and lost in the district tournament semifinals and then lost in the first round of regionals.  The baseball team which is now anchored by 4 Seniors who have all started for the last 3 years, some all 4, three Juniors who have all started for three years, 1 of those talented Freshman from last year is now a sophomore (The more talented one quit last season, but more on that in part III) and as luck would have it an all state baseball player moved in from Westside and he is a pitcher as a bonus. The baseball team did extremely well finishing conference play 13-1 and getting the number one seed in regional tournament.  They won the first game securing a state bid and lost to Brookland in the semi-finals, and defeated Gosnell in the consolation game on a walk off homerun.  The baseball team would go on to lose to Shiloh in the state tournament by one run.  An excellent season.

2015-2016 Snyder's Final year

Things to remember This is Snyder's 3rd year, so with the exception of the 3 seniors that have started since being Freshman this is completely his team.  He has selected who he wanted to keep, and trained the ones that he has kept.  Also, the all-state pitcher from Westside left Pocahontas schools. 

The football team had another excellent year going 10-0 and receiving a bye in the first round of the playoffs before losing to Star City in the Second round.  The basketball team had a good year and was able to make the regional tournament.  The baseball team did not have a successful year.  They split with teams that were at the bottom and middle of the conference, and were swept by those at the top.  They did sweep Westside which was a big positive for the team.  The team finished 6-8 in conference and in 6th place.

All of these things I have written are not intended to bash or defame any one individual.  However, having been a resident of Pocahontas and an avid supporter of the athletic programs for a long time I have grown tired of hearing how great Snyder was for the baseball program.  On the surface he did have a modicum of success on the field.  He did go to the Regionals twice and the baseball team returned to the state tournament for the first time since the 2007-2008 baseball season.  The reality is this if you read these two posts you will see this, historically, when Pocahontas is good at one male sport we are usually good in all of them.  Snyder's three years were destined to happen with or without him. Snyder was given many advantages over the previous coach.  Valley View was only in the conference for one of Snyders season even then they were on the other side and he only had to play them once.  Valley View won two state championships in the years the previous coach was at the helm and as mentioned other members of the conference went to the state semi finals and finals as well.  None of the teams that Snyder faced had anywhere near that much success. As hard as Snyder tried he did nothing to change our culture here in Pocahontas.  What I hope the reader is able to ascertain is that we have always had a tradition of sharing athletes and thus sharing success on the fields of athletic competition.  What Snyder did was try to drive a wedge into that tradition, and it did not work, it was not welcome, and the time had come for separation.  These are my arguments as to why no one in Pocahontas was sad when he left, no one worried what would become of the baseball team.  We know that baseball will be just fine and perform as well or better in the future as the ever did in any of the previous baseball coaches tenure.  I am tired of hearing that Snyder did anything for this town or program, if anything he set the program back.  However, that is for another post if anyone is interested after reading these first two. 

We felt the Snyder EFFECT and we survived that debacle.  I as well as many others are very happy that era is complete and we can move on.  I will welcome and discuss any of the topics that I have covered and welcome differing opinions.   

Nomad1324

May I ask if Snyder told players to NOT play other sports?

Or whether he basically did something that hadn't been done and that "rocked the boat" and upset some people?

Nevertheless, do continue.

Although I'm pretty sure that Highland upset Trumann in 2013.

whsfanbyforce

My son played for Matt in 2014-2015. That team was loaded and he did a great job. The following year injuries got them a little and coach had a brand new baby. I think coach Snyder did a really good job at Pocahontas. Football is king up there, so it will be really hard for the baseball team to ever be great. My son played for a bunch of coaches. USSSA, league, Legion, and high school, I thought Matt did just as good or better than any of them.

Did he do anything outstanding at Pocahontas? Probably not, but he got people really interested in the baseball program. He worked his rear off to make a crappy field into one of the best in the conference. There's only a few coaches in our area that are serious about baseball and love the game, He's one of them.

whsfanbyforce

Quote from: T-Bone on February 08, 2017, 11:56:24 am
I think a lot of JT and he will be missed by them I am sure.  I don't really know the other two mentioned.

Westside should finish in the top 3 this year. They have some really good juniors. I don't know how well they'll be coached, but they have some kids that can play.

NEA Razorback olfan

Brookland is still a pretty young team with only 3 Seniors.
First games
2/27 At GCT
2/28 Nettleton At Nettleton
3/2 Walnut Ridge at Nettleton
3/3 Riverside at Nettleton

dirtbagger

What about Trumann ? returners ? What to expect from them ?

Nomad1324

Quote from: dirtbagger on February 19, 2017, 01:56:24 pm
What about Trumann ? returners ? What to expect from them ?

I know the Gartman kid is back just from hearing about Football...other than that, not sure.

Nomad1324

Quote from: whsfanbyforce on February 18, 2017, 09:09:29 am
Westside should finish in the top 3 this year. They have some really good juniors. I don't know how well they'll be coached, but they have some kids that can play.

A cursory search says that the Gooch kid was All-State last year. Would think that kind of production would be missed, but agreed, that Westside seemed to have some young talent last year.

dirtbagger

What about Harrisburg ? Returners ? Will they be in the Race?

T-Bone

February 21, 2017, 08:15:37 pm #43 Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:25:23 pm by T-Bone
Quote from: dirtbagger on February 21, 2017, 07:30:11 pm
What about Harrisburg ? Returners ? Will they be in the Race?

Not sure what Harrisburg has in players other than a good one in Zac but Harrisburg has one of the best coaches they could possibly have in Biggers.  If the players are there he will develop them.

dirtbagger

How many returners back for Gosnell ? Are they  the team to beat in this conference?

NEA Razorback olfan

February 25, 2017, 05:55:17 pm #45 Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:32:36 am by NEA Razorback olfan
After watching a few inner squad scrimmages , Brookland is working on building a deeper pitching rotation and pen . If everyone stays healthy they should have a solid year.

Brandon Glenn (JR) - 7inn ,6k ,5 hit shutout vs (GCT) / 2 inn 2ks ,no hits in win over (Valley View)
Ethan Allred (SR)-
Jules McCamey (SR)-
Jake Algee (Soph)- 5 2/3 inn  , 1 run , 7ks, 2 hits in win over (Walnut Ridge)
Trevor Jones (JR)- 7 inn , 11ks, 8 hits , 5 runs 3 earned, no decision vs (Nettleton) tied 5-5
Trevin Winkles (JR) -1 1/3 inn 1 hit, 1 run, in save over  (Walnut Ridge)
Chandler Taylor (Soph)- 4 inn, 2 hits , 4ks, in win over (Nettlton)
Landon Jones (JR)- 5 inn, 4 earned, , 6 hits, 3ks, no Decision tied 4-4 vs (Valley View)
Ben Robison (Soph)-

Brookland over GCT 4-0
Brookland over Nettleton 8-6  11 inn
Brookland over Walnut Ridge 3-2
Brookland over Valley View 6-4

dirtbagger

Who is the team to beat Gosnell or Brookland ? 

NEA Razorback olfan

February 26, 2017, 09:40:44 am #47 Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:42:31 am by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: dirtbagger on February 26, 2017, 08:55:31 am
Who is the team to beat Gosnell or Brookland ?

Brookland at Gosnell  3/7
I believe both of these teams will end up in top 3.
With Andy pitching for Gosnell they are extremely tough. We split with them last year.

Good luck and Health to all the teams this year!!

dirtbagger

Besides Gosnell and Brookland who could be the other 2 teams coming out of this district?

NEA Razorback olfan

I'm not sure what some of the other teams lost
But I would say Westside, Highland, and Pokey...
But it's a new year, and everyone starts 0-0

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas