• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

About the 5A/6A combined districts

Started by Tasteofswine, November 14, 2016, 10:06:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tasteofswine

How exactly are the seedings going to work out for the state tournaments for the teams in these classifications? Will they use the records from their district or is there going to be some kind of committee?

VHSCoach2

I'll use the 5A teams that are traditionally in the 5A West from the 5A/6A North Central district as an example here:

The three 5A West teams in this new blended district are Greenbrier, Morrilton, and Vilonia:

The results from the head-to-head meetings of those three schools will be used to seed them 1-3 for part of the 5A West conference tournament. 

The other 5A West teams in another 5A/6A blended district are Clarksville, Harrison, and Maumelle.  Based on their results, they will also seed 1-3 for their half.

As an example, the standings could look like this (taking into account, this is just general purposes, NOT split up by girls/boys):

1. Harrison                                           1. Greenbrier
2. Maumelle                                          2. Vilonia
3. Clarksville                                         3. Morrilton

The 3 seeds will battle the opposite side's 2 seeds.  The winners of those will go on to play the 1 seeds in the next round.  And so on, until a conference champion is crowned.

Not sure how other conferences are doing theirs, but I hope it is better than the 5A West's option.  This conference tournament will add 2-3 extra games the week before the State Tournament.  Terrible decision on whoever came up with this format, in my opinion.

mijally

This format is used because it has the potential to generate more bids and more cash for the AAA. That is their only motivation for anything they do. Now they can accept cash bids from teams to rig competitive advantages in District tournaments just like they do for state tournaments.

beeroe

Why did they not do something like this for 4A and below as well.

Man it would great if the small schools had less travel.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: beeroe on November 15, 2016, 12:45:23 pm

A better question is why can't the 6A schools just have their own conference?  5A was just fine the way it was before this mess.

The Coach

Quote from: beeroe on November 15, 2016, 12:45:23 pm

Less travel or could be more competitive?

beeroe

It would would allow for more meaningful games for the smaller schools that's for sure. Rather than hosting a school that has three times your enrollment.

And less travel. Right now we have 10 conference games in our conference and for us this year 7 away games. Several of our games require 3+ hours of travel. I would much rather have smaller conference with closer teams and than schedule a home and away series.

Another idea is that I would take a 4A conference that has 6 districts in a heart beat? 

The Coach

Who would be in your conf then? It's still gonna have schools that are bigger then Eureka is. It's gonna be hard for schools like Eureka, Decatur, Bergman, or Lead Hill to ever field a competitive soccer program on a consistent basis.

beeroe

It really is less about competition and more about travel. Our principal keeps us on a tight leash in terms of our budget as well as nights away from town.

In my mind it seems to make more sense to have Dardanelle, Danville, and Subiaco in a separate district. Perhaps even Prairie Grove. If the 4A had atleast one more district it would really open things up.

As to it being competitive. I hope that eventually 3A and below might have their own state tournament in the next couple of years which would would be a massive step in the right direction. We would still have to play in a combined conference to qualify for state. But at least teams would have another reason to play the whole season.

With a smaller conference the bigger schools could have more dates to look for more competitive match ups to prepare them for state. Dardanelle does a great job of finding competitive games and I think its one of many reasons why they have done so well. Playing Eureka, Decatur, and Leadhill, only really helps them in terms of getting to play their bench.

Sir Alex

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on November 14, 2016, 01:26:33 pm
I'll use the 5A teams that are traditionally in the 5A West from the 5A/6A North Central district as an example here:

The three 5A West teams in this new blended district are Greenbrier, Morrilton, and Vilonia:

The results from the head-to-head meetings of those three schools will be used to seed them 1-3 for part of the 5A West conference tournament. 

The other 5A West teams in another 5A/6A blended district are Clarksville, Harrison, and Maumelle.  Based on their results, they will also seed 1-3 for their half.

As an example, the standings could look like this (taking into account, this is just general purposes, NOT split up by girls/boys):

1. Harrison                                           1. Greenbrier
2. Maumelle                                          2. Vilonia
3. Clarksville                                         3. Morrilton

The 3 seeds will battle the opposite side's 2 seeds.  The winners of those will go on to play the 1 seeds in the next round.  And so on, until a conference champion is crowned.

Not sure how other conferences are doing theirs, but I hope it is better than the 5A West's option.  This conference tournament will add 2-3 extra games the week before the State Tournament.  Terrible decision on whoever came up with this format, in my opinion.

All 5A and 6A teams will have conference/district tournaments. Blame the travel police for these tournaments.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas