• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting the playclock

Started by Redwolves8526, October 04, 2016, 03:16:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolves8526

Why is it that NFL and NCAA officials are able to start the playclock a lot quicker? I realize they have a few more seconds, but it seems like here in AR high school football, the refs take forever, even after the chains are set and the ball has been spotted, to whistle in the playclock.

The only reason I even brought this up is because last week, a ball carrier was brought down with 40 seconds left on the clock, and didn't get the playclock started until about 26-27 seconds left. Seems like a waste of time and ultimately minimizes possessions. As a spread offense guy, I hate it, because it allows a team even on a 3 and out to hold the ball for longer than needed. I have personally seen where the ball is spotted, the chains are set, and yet the whitehat waits 10 or so seconds to whistle in the playclock. Why?

arreferee

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 04, 2016, 03:16:03 pm
Why is it that NFL and NCAA officials are able to start the playclock a lot quicker? I realize they have a few more seconds, but it seems like here in AR high school football, the refs take forever, even after the chains are set and the ball has been spotted, to whistle in the playclock.

The only reason I even brought this up is because last week, a ball carrier was brought down with 40 seconds left on the clock, and didn't get the playclock started until about 26-27 seconds left. Seems like a waste of time and ultimately minimizes possessions. As a spread offense guy, I hate it, because it allows a team even on a 3 and out to hold the ball for longer than needed. I have personally seen where the ball is spotted, the chains are set, and yet the whitehat waits 10 or so seconds to whistle in the playclock. Why?

This is probably due to the crew trying to be very consistent throughout the entire game.  The rule of thumb used to be (I assume it still is) to allow 12-15 seconds between the dead ball and starting the play clock.  For a 3 yard run up the middle, that 12-15 seconds can seem like forever.  For long plays that end up out of bounds, that 12-15 seconds can seem to be pretty quick.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: arreferee on October 04, 2016, 04:16:39 pm
This is probably due to the crew trying to be very consistent throughout the entire game.  The rule of thumb used to be (I assume it still is) to allow 12-15 seconds between the dead ball and starting the play clock.  For a 3 yard run up the middle, that 12-15 seconds can seem like forever.  For long plays that end up out of bounds, that 12-15 seconds can seem to be pretty quick.

Why exactly is that a rule of thumb? No matter what happens on the play, if the playclock starts right when the ball is spotted and the chains are set, there should be plenty of time to get subs in, a play called, and the ball snapped. Just my opinion.

Rulesman

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 05, 2016, 10:45:05 am
Why exactly is that a rule of thumb? No matter what happens on the play, if the playclock starts right when the ball is spotted and the chains are set, there should be plenty of time to get subs in, a play called, and the ball snapped. Just my opinion.
Sit in the stands with a stopwatch and record every down (not just a select few) from the time the previous play ended until the RFP, average them out and you'll likely find a 12-15 second average is the norm more often than not.

arreferee

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 05, 2016, 10:45:05 am

I think part of it is for the substitution process.  If the officials put it down and start the clock immediately, the defense might not get a chance to sub because the offense could run up and snap it quickly. 

Redwolves8526

Quote from: arreferee on October 05, 2016, 01:43:12 pm
I think part of it is for the substitution process.  If the officials put it down and start the clock immediately, the defense might not get a chance to sub because the offense could run up and snap it quickly.

Isn't there a rule in place where the umpire sits on the ball if the offense substitutes, in order to allow time for the defense to sub? I see it in college, anyway.

I don't have a major problem with this. But if the refs are in place, and the ball and chains are set, I think the playclock should start right then. In the instance I was referring to above, the team on defense was down by 1 score late in the game. The offense went 3 and out, but was able to run almost 3 minutes off the clock and basically put the game away. Just didn't seem right

arreferee

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 05, 2016, 02:46:50 pm
Isn't there a rule in place where the umpire sits on the ball if the offense substitutes, in order to allow time for the defense to sub? I see it in college, anyway.

That is a rule in college, but I'm not sure about NFHS.  In college, if the offense subs, the defense has to have an opportunity to match up.

Rulesman

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas