• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spearing? Targeting? Or Neither?

Started by OldRetired1, August 17, 2016, 10:22:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRetired1

Is it legal for a NG, on the snap of the ball, to charge through the center's chest with his head down (top of his helmet makes contact first)?

I've never seen this called.  In this new day of preventing concussions, has this issue been discussed?

Thank you.

Lineman

I don't know about a penalty, but the kid should be coached better than to hit with the top of his helmet.

Rulesman

Quote from: OldRetired1 on August 17, 2016, 10:22:15 am
Is it legal for a NG, on the snap of the ball, to charge through the center's chest with his head down (top of his helmet makes contact first)?

I've never seen this called.  In this new day of preventing concussions, has this issue been discussed?

Thank you.
Rule 9-4-3i - "No player or non-player shall initiate illegal helmet contact. (butt block, face tackle or spear)." It's been a POE for 3 years. What will drive some folks nuts is the rule applies to all players on both sides of the ball, including the runner.

Lions84

Quote from: Rulesman on August 17, 2016, 09:09:12 pm
Rule 9-4-3i - "No player or non-player shall initiate illegal helmet contact. (butt block, face tackle or spear)." It's been a POE for 3 years. What will drive some folks nuts is the rule applies to all players on both sides of the ball, including the runner.

Thanks

bigchief72455

What about a tackle that the helmet makes clear contact with the opposing players shoulder pad but the opposing players helmet comes off? Personal foul?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas