• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marion coach.

Started by Missco, March 07, 2016, 06:25:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Missco

What happened at the 6A tournament to get him suspended with pay. I just saw it on the Memphis news earlier. He is a pretty good guy and coach

itsslim

got into it with a player

nuttinbuthogs

What does that mean?  "got into it" verbally, physically? 

Rocket23

Physically, I was told, at practice day before their state game.  Then during game Marion had an altercation during game and had players come off the bench.

Missco

Regardless, he is a pretty good coach. I guess in the 60s through mid 90s then a lot of coaches would have been suspended

itsslim

had an altercation with a player, I'll let someone else gossip about the rest.

nuttinbuthogs

That's too bad but there is always two sides to every story.  I'd like to hear it all before deciding who is at fault.

beach bum

March 08, 2016, 08:17:41 pm #7 Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:19:13 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Missco on March 07, 2016, 09:38:51 pm
Regardless, he is a pretty good coach. I guess in the 60s through mid 90s then a lot of coaches would have been suspended

I am not judging this guy until the review process takes its course and the facts come out but you are quite a special person if you are justifying physically touching a player in any way in an aggressive manner by downplaying the severity by saying "oh this used to go on all the time". Only a loser adult puts their hands on a teenager.

nuttinbuthogs

You shouldn't make a generalization before knowing what happened.  It could have been the kid created a bad situation. 

Missco

Lol, wow. Kids today think they are entitled. The coach could be 100 % in the wrong but I am betting not. I am not justifying all situations but most kids today need a good paddle up their rear.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Missco on March 09, 2016, 09:45:01 pm
Lol, wow. Kids today think they are entitled. The coach could be 100 % in the wrong but I am betting not. I am not justifying all situations but most kids today need a good paddle up their rear.

I agree.....I can see the difference in my kids and my friends kids who don't paddle theirs.

nuttinbuthogs

There are those who feel you should never lift a hand to discipline.  So we now have a group of people who feel entitled to do and say anything they please without earning any of it.

For instance the group who thought their 1st amendment rights were more important than all those people who showed up to listen to DT speak in Chicago the other night.  Regardless of your political affiliation you should realize free speech is the cornerstone of our democracy.

Pit Bull

Quote from: beach bum on March 08, 2016, 08:17:41 pm
I am not judging this guy until the review process takes its course and the facts come out but you are quite a special person if you are justifying physically touching a player in any way in an aggressive manner by downplaying the severity by saying "oh this used to go on all the time". Only a loser adult puts their hands on a teenager.

Word on the streets is that he was a terrible kid of a coach in the program who was already removed from the program earlier in the season for discipline issues but was brought back as a favor to his colleague, the kid actually got the best of the coach in the altercation and Coach was trying to keep the kid off of him. How far do you allow a kid to go... I say that that kids father needs to figure out how to keep his son in a child's place because as a leader of young men, there is no way you can lead others when your child is acting like a savage and disrespecting adults....

ricepig

Quote from: Pit Bull on March 12, 2016, 08:16:30 pm
Word on the streets is that he was a terrible kid of a coach in the program who was already removed from the program earlier in the season for discipline issues but was brought back as a favor to his colleague, the kid actually got the best of the coach in the altercation and Coach was trying to keep the kid off of him. How far do you allow a kid to go... I say that that kids father needs to figure out how to keep his son in a child's place because as a leader of young men, there is no way you can lead others when your child is acting like a savage and disrespecting adults....

I've never heard but great things about Coach Clay. I'd be surprised if it was any different then you described.

RZback

If a student has a physical altercation with a teacher or coach shouldn't there be a legal issue.  Was this coach defending himself?  If so he has a right to protect himself. 

Pit Bull

Quote from: ricepig on March 12, 2016, 08:45:53 pm
I've never heard but great things about Coach Clay. I'd be surprised if it was any different then you described.

He's a good man that cares about his players and using athletics to turn boys into young men.... It would be a tragedy to the community if he's not allowed to continue his work...

beach bum

Quote from: HF on March 11, 2016, 02:09:20 pm
I agree.....I can see the difference in my kids and my friends kids who don't paddle theirs.

Considering we have a science called psychology where we track human behavior they have proven that only leads to people learning violence is a way to solve problems by adulthood..... a lot of people don't care for data though. Also, a lot of people are in denial about how violent our culture is in the U.S. though. A paddling isn't going to help in adulthood. By adulthood you either learn to treat people how you want to be treated or you don't. Life is pretty simple. Treat people like you would want to. I'll stick with people who went to school for 6 to 8 years who spend their life studying this and base my decision upon their studies and views. Call me crazy for thinking that.

beach bum

Quote from: Pit Bull on March 12, 2016, 08:16:30 pm

Also, as I said before I will wait until all the facts come out in this situation to judge the situation. If an adult unprovoked touches a minor that is a giant no no. If a player with a hothead temper instigates physical behavior then the coach can't sit there and take being beaten. He or she has to defend themselves.

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on March 15, 2016, 03:37:38 pm
Considering we have a science called psychology where we track human behavior they have proven that only leads to people learning violence is a way to solve problems by adulthood..... a lot of people don't care for data though. Also, a lot of people are in denial about how violent our culture is in the U.S. though. A paddling isn't going to help in adulthood. By adulthood you either learn to treat people how you want to be treated or you don't. Life is pretty simple. Treat people like you would want to. I'll stick with people who went to school for 6 to 8 years who spend their life studying this and base my decision upon their studies and views. Call me crazy for thinking that.

Crazy, it isn't all black and white, lol. Do you have kids yet?

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Beach bum, for every study that you find by these scholars, I'll counter with scholars claiming the opposite. In fact, the very first article that came up says there is no correlation between spanking and violence (http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/mobile/article.aspx?articleid=518459)

Anytime a subject comes up in which I'm unsure of the answer, I turn to the Bible and Biblical scholars. Here was the first thing that came up in Google on that which supports what we learned 11 years ago when we were pregnant with our first and going through Biblical parenting classes http://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/effective-biblical-discipline/effective-child-discipline/biblical-approach-to-spanking

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2016, 04:11:46 pm
Crazy, it isn't all black and white, lol. Do you have kids yet?
Quote from: Coach DePriest, Elmwood Middle School on March 15, 2016, 05:27:23 pm
Beach bum, for every study that you find by these scholars, I'll counter with scholars claiming the opposite. In fact, the very first article that came up says there is no correlation between spanking and violence (http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/mobile/article.aspx?articleid=518459)

Anytime a subject comes up in which I'm unsure of the answer, I turn to the Bible and Biblical scholars. Here was the first thing that came up in Google on that which supports what we learned 11 years ago when we were pregnant with our first and going through Biblical parenting classes http://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/effective-biblical-discipline/effective-child-discipline/biblical-approach-to-spanking
Crazy for sure.   I know many children who have not been disciplined and they are terrors. On the other hand I know kids that their parents used wise and measured discipline, including spanking, and the kids are great.  Those kids don't turn to violence as the answer to their problems.

OB11

The adult equivalent of paddling is called prison.  If you don't figure out how to act you face the consequences.  Taking corporal punishment out of schools (at least in my experience) has led to a decline in overall respect for authority and respect towards adults in general.  If the parents don't discipline at home and they've taken that ability out of the hands of school administrators, it gets ugly fast. 

I know this is off tangent but just had to throw my two cents in there.  Beach Bum I agree with a lot of the stuff you post.  Just not on this.  No disrespect intended. 

HorseFeathers

It's easy to set back and tell people how they're messing up their kids isn't it? I'll take my 6+ years of learning on the fly on how to raise my kids, over what some "expert", who probably doesn't have kids, says....I'll probably end up screwing them up, but maybe, just maybe they'll appreciate some of the values I've tried to instill in them...

P.s....99% of the problems with the guys I've worked with or known in my life is...they have 0 respect for authority, and won't accept that their actions do have consequences......

farfromgroovins

I'm not in denial about how violent our culture in the U.S. is. It's because people began listening to scholars and stopped stop spanking their kids.
I'll stick with the "scholars" that raised me.....mom and dad married for over 50 years and raised 7 successful children.......children that were taught discipline using different methods with one being spankings. Tradition continues with my kids. They are mid-teens now so spankings haven't been necessary for some time but they know the boundaries in our home and who has the authority.

Moonshiner

Crazy as charged.  The threat of getting my  booty roasted kept me from getting in a lot of trouble as a child.  The rule for my brother and I was simple.  If we got paddled at school, we got the belt when we got home. Not a beating.  Just discipline. No permanent physical scars, no mental scars.   I raised mine the same way.   I think our best years as a nation are behind us.  Due in part to a stronger disciplinary home life.  Too many softies these days.

brown2010

COACH CLAY IS A GREAT GUY

nuttinbuthogs

Did anyone get the full story on what in the world happened with Coach and the kid?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas