• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas @ Miss.St.

Started by Pokey03, February 09, 2016, 08:38:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pokey03

Another poor road performance for the Hogs

Pokey03

Could be coach Anderson's first losing season as a HC

BrianfromCarlisle

WHY??? Why can't Thompson realize he is 6'10?  DUNK IT

beach bum

Quote from: Pokey03 on February 09, 2016, 08:48:15 pm
Could be coach Anderson's first losing season as a HC

I believe he gets another winning season. It might be by one or two games but I think they barely finish above .500

Pokey03

Not with this dismal performance, getting blowed out by bottom feeders doesn't look promising.

BrianfromCarlisle

Howland came up with a great defensive game plan. He has them fired up.

nuttinbuthogs

This simply is not a greatly talented group.  They occasionally rise to the challenge or catch some team on an off night but they are not consistent at all in their level of play. I can see this being a barely winning or losing season if something doesn't improve pretty darn soon.

AirWarren

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 09, 2016, 09:59:39 pm
This simply is not a greatly talented group.  They occasionally rise to the challenge or catch some team on an off night but they are not consistent at all in their level of play. I can see this being a barely winning or losing season if something doesn't improve pretty darn soon.

Shhhhh. You're going to offend some for talking about the talent level of this team.

fastdrop

Mack the great!!! Basketball GURU will call you a troll if you say they are not good. Miss. State is great and played a great game. I see final 4 for them.

bdubyab60

One thing I'll agree on is we have never played well on the road under MA. Though we have won a couple this year.

mack

Quote from: fastdrop on February 10, 2016, 07:06:46 am
Mack the great!!! Basketball GURU will call you a troll if you say they are not good. Miss. State is great and played a great game. I see final 4 for them.

Can you not stem your idiocy for even a moment?  Good teams can get beaten badly.  It happens all the time, every year. 

You're still a troll.  You just like to stir the pot.  I can see you sitting there in your mom's basement in your spider man pajamas last night watching the  game, cackling like a hen in anticipation of your next troll. 

I know you for what you are. 

AirWarren

32 point loss. That's embarrassing anyway you look at it. I don't care if it's on the road or not.

Romeo

We got to recr...  nevermind.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 10, 2016, 07:11:53 am
One thing I'll agree on is we have never played well on the road under MA. Though we have won a couple this year.

We went 7-2 in the SEC last year on the road.... you need talent obviously to win on the road plus Bobby P never seemed phased by road affairs. Its talent and a mindset to win on the road but mainly talent will cure all.

Longfellow

Bottom line: Arkansas is not a good team. Not even close

fastdrop

Quote from: mack on February 10, 2016, 07:46:30 am

Can you not stem your idiocy for even a moment?  Good teams can get beaten badly.  It happens all the time, every year. 

You're still a troll.  You just like to stir the pot.  I can see you sitting there in your mom's basement in your spider man pajamas last night watching the  game, cackling like a hen in anticipation of your next troll. 

One thing I have learned from being on this board for a looong time. Never argue with fools. You are right they are a good team.

I know you for what you are. Know it all  ----- Fool

beach bum

February 10, 2016, 09:08:50 am #16 Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:11:59 am by beach bum
But a serious question. Why aren't the people complaining about MA also complaining about BB for football? He is now just 16-20 in the regular season(bowl games are a joke in college overall but he is 18-20 with them) after three years albeit 13-11 (15-11) in the last two.  Next year, I imagine we finish worst case 6-6 and best case 9-3. Lets say he goes 7-5 just like last year should he be critized this harshly too. Look how far behind recruiting OLE MISS in football we are, yes Ole Miss. You can say "oh we beat them the last two years. I say who cares we still finished behind them in the standings which is all that matters. I like BB but we gave him an extension after startting 2-14 in the SEC. Who gets a raise and extension after that? I am merely pointing out what I think is funny. Just wait til next year when we are 2nd or 3rd in the SEC and a 25 win team. Of course we aren't very good but he has the right mix for next year ON PAPER. We will see if it pans out.

Missco

Arkansas is just not very good at all. I just don't think Anderson will ever be able to have the kind of success fans want.

beach bum

Quote from: Missco on February 10, 2016, 09:08:44 am
Arkansas is just not very good at all. I just don't think Anderson will ever be able to have the kind of success fans want.

Last year sucked then apparently?

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on February 10, 2016, 09:08:50 am
But a serious question. Why aren't the people complaining about MA also complaining about BB for football? He is now just 16-20 in the regular season(bowl games are a joke in college overall but he is 18-20 with them) after three years albeit 13-11 (15-11) in the last two.  Next year, I imagine we finish worst case 6-6 and best case 9-3. Lets say he goes 7-5 just like last year should he be critized this harshly too. Look how far behind recruiting OLE MISS in football we are, yes Ole Miss. You can say "oh we beat them the last two years. I say who cares we still finished behind them in the standings which is all that matters. I like BB but we gave him an extension after startting 2-14 in the SEC. Who gets a raise and extension after that? I am merely pointing out what I think is funny. Just wait til next year when we are 2nd or 3rd in the SEC and a 25 win team. Of course we aren't very good but he has the right mix for next year ON PAPER. We will see if it pans out.

Because. Arkansas football is what it is. We will always be a 7-9 win team with an occasional 10-12 win team sprinkled in here and there. I think with the recruiting disadvantages Arkansas has to overcome in football, I'm very happy with a 7-9 win season every year.

The problem is, Arkansas basketball was THE TEAM in America in its hey day. Elite 8, final 4s, USA presidents at our games, NCAA runner up and NCAA champions. We tasted the success. Built an arena that is now too big for the program. Made a couple of bad hired and now have to overcome how basketball players are recruited and the "me" mentality that kids have these days. But when you have the history we have in the 80-90s, there is no way to contain these over the top expectations for our program. That's why people call for the heads of our basketball coaches from the get go. You can thank 1994 for that. The monster has been created. We just don't have what it takes to feed it in 2016.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on February 10, 2016, 09:14:04 am

Last year was a great season. However, people complained because we couldn't get out of the 2nd round. It's the "expectations" of the fans that suck in my opinion. I yearn for a season like last year! Ha

AirWarren

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on February 10, 2016, 09:22:58 am
Quote from: beach bum on February 10, 2016, 09:14:04 am

Last year was a great season. However, people complained because we couldn't get out of the 2nd round. It's the "expectations" of the fans that suck in my opinion. I yearn for a season like last year! Ha

You know, every once in a while when you really put some thought in to a post, you come pretty close to getting one right!!! ;D ;D We have a coach that doesn't play the AAU game, while he deserves kudos for it, it will be his demise in recruiting, IMO.

ricepig

For one, the SEC is much much tougher in football, then in basketball. As far as football recruiting, who cares on rankings, results are all that matters. We've improved every year in football, and had in basketball, until this year, so fans aren't happy with the results. Anderson got an extension in Dec of 2014, so it's not like he hasn't been taken care of.

AirWarren

I'm just amazed. Performances like last night...just garbage.

ricepig

February 10, 2016, 10:22:18 am #25 Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:42:40 am by ricepig
Quote from: AirWarren on February 10, 2016, 10:12:22 am
I'm just amazed. Performances like last night...just garbage.

I didn't watch, I had a previous engagement and kept up on twitter, I didn't bother checking my phone after half-time. Even when we were "good" we always managed a stinker like this, unfortunately, there's no tournament to look forward to.

AirWarren

Yeah. I didn't watch this game or the the New Hampshire primaries.

I watched a recording of one of my soccer matches. After seeing that start, I refused to finish out.

Lions84

beach bum

February 10, 2016, 07:31:13 pm #28 Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:32:49 pm by beach bum
Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2016, 09:59:47 am

For one, the SEC is much much tougher in football, then in basketball. As far as football recruiting, who cares on rankings, results are all that matters. We've improved every year in football, and had in basketball, until this year, so fans aren't happy with the results. Anderson got an extension in Dec of 2014, so it's not like he hasn't been taken care of.

So we have the #1, 4, and 5 JUCO players coming in next year and that shouldn't get us back on track? That guy ranked #1 is a flat out stud. Losing to Toledo and Texas Tech who finished 3-6 in the Big 12 was an improvement? Allen at QB saved our defenses butt this year or it would have been worse. And to the fans' logic they were blaming Allen for everything when he played out of his mind this year  ???

Ctucker

We are not very good get over it. You can't compare Sec basketball to sec football in football we are the best in basketball we might be six best conference and that's only because of Kentucky.

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on February 10, 2016, 07:31:13 pm

So we have the #1, 4, and 5 JUCO players coming in next year and that shouldn't get us back on track? That guy ranked #1 is a flat out stud. Losing to Toledo and Texas Tech who finished 3-6 in the Big 12 was an improvement? Allen at QB saved our defenses butt this year or it would have been worse. And to the fans' logic they were blaming Allen for everything when he played out of his mind this year  ???

5-3 in the SEC was an improvement, and every year the record has been better, correct? By your logic, BP saved MA's butt last year, correct? I can't help you rely on what a few message board jockeys write about the QB play. How many JUCO guys has Mike brought in that shined their first year? It seems it's always taken that second year to get good play out of them, hopefully they break that trend next year.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: beach bum on February 10, 2016, 07:31:13 pm

you are correct Allen played great all year the fans just didn't know great when they seen it

bdubyab60

Allen did play great all year. However early in the year he did not make the clutch throws. After the Auburn game he may have been the best QB in the conference and near the top in the nation. Would have had a hard time finding a more clutch player. No he wasn't the reason we lost as some suggest. If he played clutch like he did in the big moments late in the season early we probably have at least two more wins.

As far as JUCOs I hope they are for real. Not for MA but for the Hogs period. But we have hashed this out about MAs recruiting over and over. I believe MA has at least 2 more years. A tournament appearance will be expected by many next year. If not he will surely be on the hot seat and I also think things had better be looking good on the recruiting front as well.

mack

Quote from: fastdrop on February 10, 2016, 09:05:27 am
Quote from: mack on February 10, 2016, 07:46:30 am

One thing I have learned from being on this board for a looong time. Never argue with fools. You are right they are a good team.

I know you for what you are. Know it all  ----- Fool

Yeah, yeah you uneducated hick cretin.  Take your tired shtick somewhere else.  On the hierarchy of lowlife trolls, you are only a notch above Hillary and Trump.

mack

Quote from: AirWarren on February 10, 2016, 09:17:45 am

Because. Arkansas football is what it is. We will always be a 7-9 win team with an occasional 10-12 win team sprinkled in here and there. I think with the recruiting disadvantages Arkansas has to overcome in football, I'm very happy with a 7-9 win season every year.

The problem is, Arkansas basketball was THE TEAM in America in its hey day. Elite 8, final 4s, USA presidents at our games, NCAA runner up and NCAA champions. We tasted the success. Built an arena that is now too big for the program. Made a couple of bad hired and now have to overcome how basketball players are recruited and the "me" mentality that kids have these days. But when you have the history we have in the 80-90s, there is no way to contain these over the top expectations for our program. That's why people call for the heads of our basketball coaches from the get go. You can thank 1994 for that. The monster has been created. We just don't have what it takes to feed it in 2016.

One of the best takes I've read on here in a while.

Romeo

Quote from: AirWarren on February 10, 2016, 09:17:45 am

Recruiting in football compared to basketball is apples and oranges. In football, you have at least 25 recruits to sign each year, and for Arkansas, you have so many disadvantages in recruiting such as location and lack of in-state talent. In basketball, at the most, you have five or six scholarships to fill for a year and you can recruit players virtually anywhere. But you're right, I think past success has created high expectations, and there should be. There's no reason why we shouldn't be a top 20 program.

AirWarren

I just don't get it. If a place like Northern Iowa and Iowa state can recruit kids to play top notch basketball then we can't we pluck some of those kids from schools like that? Those teams would beat the brakes off of Arkansas. One has. Arkansas biggest recruiting Mumbo jumbo is "its facilities." So why can't we get some of these kids that shoot the ball lights out at northern Iowa and some true big men? It baffles me.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on February 11, 2016, 11:29:21 am
I just don't get it. If a place like Northern Iowa and Iowa state can recruit kids to play top notch basketball then we can't we pluck some of those kids from schools like that? Those teams would beat the brakes off of Arkansas. One has. Arkansas biggest recruiting Mumbo jumbo is "its facilities." So why can't we get some of these kids that shoot the ball lights out at northern Iowa and some true big men? It baffles me.

MA has/runs a "system", he recruits to this "system". I don't know why we can't get better recruits, it must be the "system".  IMO, the game has changed since Nolan's 40 Minutes of H Ell, I don't think MA will or wants to change.

Romeo

Basketball recruiting is probably the most corrupt in all of sports. In basketball, you have more "handlers" being involved in recruitment. You also have unofficial visits which involves stuff like Louisville. Louisville definitely isn't the only school that arranges hookers for recruits. The biggest problem is AAU and summer basketball. AAU is a very dirty business. In the high level AAU leagues, its less about basketball development and more about money and influence.

One thing I can admire about MA is that he has a reputation for not being involved in dirty recruiting tactics.

AirWarren

February 11, 2016, 01:08:21 pm #39 Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:19:17 pm by AirWarren
I'll take that over dirty recruiting tactics all day

However, I think you could look in other states to find some shooters. Pure shooters. Other states that may not be considered "hot spots".

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas