• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any surprises laying low in the State Tourney brackets?

Started by 3n2, October 21, 2015, 09:21:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3n2

Any predictions on upsets, surprises, or sleepers laying low in the brackets?

500 hitter

I think That Fountain Lake is a sleeper in 4a.They have played Mena tough and have also played at Mena several times this year and in the past. Plus they are close and should have a good fan base there to support their team.

gatecrasher

October 21, 2015, 06:54:30 pm #2 Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:57:16 pm by gatecrasher
Cutter Morning Star faces Paris at the top of the 3A bracket.
Kaylee told me they faced them over the summer (don't know where) and held their own against them.
This is the Lady Eagles' first ever state tournament appearance, and while I realistically do not expect our girls to pull the upset, they have proven that they can play with anyone.
Whooped the likes of HS Lakeside, Lake Hamilton, Malvern, and Arkadelphia over the summer, and blew big leads against Jessieville, Marianna, White Hall, and Camden Fairview over the course of the regular season.
This team could very easily have 4 or 5 more wins.
I told my kid to simply just play volleyball....that they're in the state tournament, and with her being a senior, it'll be her only one...and not to worry about their opponent.
I just wish her and the other three seniors had one more year. They have a good nucleus of young players and could be really, really good in 2016.

We'll see what kind of team shows up.

1-Adam-12

Gate, I would agree with you.  When Booneville first went in '09 that was what the coach said to the girls:  Just play and the score will take care of itself.

Ironically Booneville's first ever opponent in state was Marianna, who the Lady Cats play again in the first round this year.  They also played in '12, with the Lady Trojans winning both. 

I don't expect that one to be an upset as I feel the Lady Cats have enough to handle Marianna.  A team you might watch for is Alpena. They play very soundly and have plenty of tradition.  If Walnut Ridge comes out a bit flat the Lady Leopards might take advantage.

Enjoy the match.  If your daughter can handle Paris's hitting then she has done her job very well.  Their hitters can be tough to handle.

KingOfNothing

In the 4A, I think you have to look out for all of the Northwest and Northeast teams. They are always really solid at volleyball, and in the past few years, even the 4 seeds have been able to challenge and even win games in the State Tournament.

Specifically, Harrisburg. I could see them making Mena work harder than they want to in the second round. I could also see Berryville or Huntsville (whoever gets the 2 seed) making a run to the semis, due to Westside being down this year, compared to years past.

gatecrasher

1-Adam-12, Kaylee has played most of the year with a back injury that just hasn't gone away, and it has affected her lateral quickness, which she needs to deal with Paris' hitters.
She won't tell anyone when she's hurt. But I think she hurt it over the summer and didn't tell anyone until I noticed it after the benefit game to start the year.

moe99expedition

7A- I predict Faayetteville will be playing someone other than Bentonville for 7A state championship.

KingOfNothing

October 26, 2015, 12:17:46 pm #7 Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:23:40 pm by KingOfNothing
Quote from: moe99expedition on October 22, 2015, 11:03:52 pm
7A- I predict Faayetteville will be playing someone other than Bentonville for 7A state championship.

Interesting... You thinking Conway or Har-Ber? Har-Ber has been blown out by Bentonville twice already this year, and I don't know much about Conway, but I guess IF they can beat Har-Ber, they probably have the best shot of any team to get past Bentonville...

Or are you predicting Cabot/Heritage will beat Bentonville? That would be a stretch, IMO. Heritage has already lost to them pretty handily twice, and if you're thinking Cabot, I'm not really sure they'll be able to get past Heritage...

I do have to admit, though... It would be fun to see somebody else compete for it.

Vballfan

October 26, 2015, 01:49:17 pm #8 Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:28:25 pm by Vballfan
Quote from: KingOfNothing on October 26, 2015, 12:17:46 pm
Quote from: moe99expedition on October 22, 2015, 11:03:52 pm

Interesting... You thinking Conway or Har-Ber? Har-Ber has been blown out by Bentonville twice already this year, and I don't know much about Conway, but I guess IF they can beat Har-Ber, they probably have the best shot of any team to get past Bentonville...

Or are you predicting Cabot/Heritage will beat Bentonville? That would be a stretch, IMO. Heritage has already lost to them pretty handily twice, and if you're thinking Cabot, I'm not really sure they'll be able to get past Heritage...

I do have to admit, though... It would be fun to see somebody else compete for it.

I will go in the camp that it will be someone other than Bentonville facing Fayetteville.

Disclaimer:  I have seen almost every Cabot game and a couple Conway games, I have not seen Bentonville this year or any NW AR Team (except Springdale who did not make the tourney but beat still Cabot in a tournament game in August).  Cabot has some fine individual players but no wins at all this year to show they can compete let alone beat a Bentonville type team.  Conway has been hot and cold - they have been mostly hot of late other than losing in the first round of their own Tourney earlier this month.  The 7A/6A Central was second in strength to the 7A West IMO and Conway won the conference.  Har-Ber - I have not seen them but know they have good personnel.  Conway and Har-Ber should be a great match and I'll take the winner for the upset over Bentonville.  If I had to pick - I'll go Conway since the tourney is at their place.

moe99expedition

I saw Fayetteville beat both Southside and Bentonville this year and that was without their big blocker. I did not get to see the last game against Bentonville but heard it was a good one. I have not seen Cabot or Conway play this year but hear good things. Just like Fayetteville has something to prove from last year getting beat in Championship I am sure Bentonville would like revenge from the only two losses they suffered in league this year. Har-Ber can smell the blood in the water and are very hungry.

Vballfan

Quote from: moe99expedition on October 26, 2015, 02:52:39 pm
I saw Fayetteville beat both Southside and Bentonville this year and that was without their big blocker. I did not get to see the last game against Bentonville but heard it was a good one. I have not seen Cabot or Conway play this year but hear good things. Just like Fayetteville has something to prove from last year getting beat in Championship I am sure Bentonville would like revenge from the only two losses they suffered in league this year. Har-Ber can smell the blood in the water and are very hungry.

Bentonville is well coached and certainly has earned the right to ve favored to be there with one of the top hs players in Pate, but it would just would be boring to say yep Fayetteville and Bentonville again.  And even though they are young, Fayetteville will be favored this year, 2016 and 2017. Conway has a chance to compete in that time frame as they have it going on for club in this area and had the best 9th grade program this year but to my knowledge they don't have two high d1 talents current or upcoming.

I do think central Arkansas teams are better this year overall but still behind at least when they go back to school ball.   Bryant is much better, msm is better and maybe Cabot is better too...Conway is the class of central Arkansas though with NLR right there with them. In fact NLR may have beat Conway this year don't recall

A Conway club team beat an Ozark team in the 17's qualifier last year, of course it was a mix of kids coached by a very, very good coach but that had never happened before in recent history at least to my knowledge.   If you had all of the best central Arkansas kids in the same club, they would be on par with ozark year in and year out but with three clubs fiercely completing in central Arkansas, it doesn't happen and coaching in nw Arkansas just seems stronger in high school with perhaps a few exceptions.

Two of the kids on the Conway club team that beat ozark play for Cabot, three for Russellville, and 5 for Conway. 

No one has mentioned NLR and while I don't think they have a chance to beat Fayetteville, they are also better than last year. They are athletic and won the 7a/6a east. They have some good players. 

Good luck to all

moe99expedition

NWA high schools teams have much of the talent that came from Ozark Juniors 15's championship team. Although I agree Fayetteville will carry the 7A for the next two years Bentonville, Har-Ber and Rogers have some talented sophomores from that Championship team. Some of those young ladies are easy D2, D3, NAIA and even D1 prospects.

I am hoping to be able to catch a couple of the games this week. Although my daughter plays for Fayetteville (Haley Warner) I am excited to see all the teams play and wish the best of luck to all of the teams in the tournament.

3n2

Nettleton in 5A.  Went from having a 9 player roster to 18.  Expect Freshman to step up and help.

gatecrasher

Bergman pulls bigtime upset in 3A, upsetting previously undefeated Episcopal in 4 sets

1-Adam-12

moe99expedition

Is anyone predicting any major surprises for day two?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas