• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Special on AETN about Heat Related Issues in High School Athletics

Started by football nut, July 21, 2014, 09:03:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

football nut

Great special tonight on AETN about high school athletics and heat related issues. When it comes on again watch it! This is must see TV if your child plays high school sports.
Big shout out to Kevin Kelley and Todd Ross of Pulaski Academy for their groundbreaking work in managing heat related problems.
Prayers to the Davenport and Fincher family for the strength to speak so candidly about the loss of their sons.
High Five to Will and Patty James for being so articulate and thoughtful about their experiences.
Every coach and parent should research this issue and make sure you help your child/kids prepare for the upcoming season.

Jacketman65

Makes you wonder why the triple A wants to move the start of the regular season back a week?  I think it is a knee jerk reaction to the problems due to the bad weather for the playoffs last year.  I would rather play in the cold than in the hot any day!

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Jacketman65 on July 21, 2014, 11:33:02 pm
Makes you wonder why the triple A wants to move the start of the regular season back a week?  I think it is a knee jerk reaction to the problems due to the bad weather for the playoffs last year.  I would rather play in the cold than in the hot any day!

I agree, its a fall/winter sport and not a summer sport.  Eons ago when i played i didnt mind the two a day or summer practices as they where either early morning or in the evening.  The worst part of it was when school started and you where out there stretching under the sun at 2:30 in the afternoon! Those where the hot times. 

wing

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on July 22, 2014, 09:35:19 am
Quote from: Jacketman65 on July 21, 2014, 11:33:02 pm

I agree, its a fall/winter sport and not a summer sport.  Eons ago when i played i didnt mind the two a day or summer practices as they where either early morning or in the evening.  The worst part of it was when school started and you where out there stretching under the sun at 2:30 in the afternoon! Those where the hot times.

The summer of 1980. Forty something straight days of 100+. Those were some hot two-a-days.

Jacketman65

Heard today that out in California they passed some new rules - only 2 full contact practice days during the season and 0 contact during the off season!  So what is considered football season now?  I've seen a lot of team camps that were pretty much full contact even though the coaches say not.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas