• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Modest Proposal for the AAA

Started by Mike Bonds, June 27, 2014, 04:14:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Bonds

As many of us know, we're looking at new classifications every two years.  Reclassifications always bring discontent, but the discontent--and the lawsuits for AAA--are getting more and more serious.  I understand that AAA has a difficult job in classifying the football schools; issues of travel time, competitive parity, and the preservation of traditional matchups are just a few of the concerns involved. 

The current arrangement of teams, especially those at the top of the system, isn't satisfactory.  The weird 7A/6A swirl isn't really a classification or conference at all.  However, I feel that there's a solution to the problems. 

First, I think we should start reclassifying every 4 years instead of every 2, keeping us from riding the reclassification carousel with this level of frequency, adding stability to the system.

Second, it's time to jettison the 16-team classifications at the top.  There's nothing especially magical about the number, other than having 4 teams from 4 conferences forming a 16-team playoff.  We already don't have that at the 7A/6A level.  Instead, I propose that we go to a 6A classification with 18 teams, divided into a West and an East.  The breakdown would look like this:

6A West
Bentonville
Springdale
Fayetteville
HarBer
Southside
Rogers
Heritage
Northside
Van Buren

6A East
Cabot
Conway
NLR
Central
Bryant
West Memphis
Catholic
Russellville
Jonesboro

Nothing is perfect, but this setup makes far more sense to me.  Playoffs would have the top 4 teams meet up in an 8-team playoff.

The next 48, now mostly in 6A and 5A, would be combined into a single classification.  The teams would be divided into 6 conferences like this:

1-5A
Marion
Greene County Tech
Forrest City
Nettleton
Wynne
Paragould
Blytheville
Valley View

2-5A
LR Christian
McClellan
LR Hall
Pulaski Academy
Jacksonville
Mills
Sylvan Hills
LR Parkview

3-5A
J.A. Fair
El Dorado
White Hall
Pine Bluff
Monticello
Texarkana
Watson Chapel
Camden Fairview

4-5A
Lakeside
Lake Hamiton
Hot Springs
Benton
Hope
DeQueen
Sheridan
Magnolia

5-5A
Mountain Home
Siloam Springs
Alma
Greenwood
Harrison
Clarksville
Farmington
Huntsville

6-5A
Greenbrier
Vilonia
Maumelle
Morrilton
Searcy
Beebe
Batesville
North Pulaski

This arrangement makes a ton of sense, both competitively and certainly travel-wise.  It's time to realize that current system isn't working, and this system would be a major improvement.

Uncle Ivan

The 5A already has the perfect setup.  It's frustrating that enough want to mess with it.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

9 team conference creates unwanted bye weeks. Also, you have to plan for second Bentonville school and Jax/North P combining.

I do like the wheels turning, though. Why did you pick 18 teams? Why not 20? Just wondering.

Go Postal

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 27, 2014, 04:51:17 pm
The 5A already has the perfect setup.  It's frustrating that enough want to mess with it.
I do agree with UI.  The 5A setup has been less confusing than the 7A/6A or the 4A.

tmycjy

Quote from: Go Postal on June 27, 2014, 07:18:10 pm
I do agree with UI.  The 5A setup has been less confusing than the 7A/6A or the 4A.

hey I kinda agree with u but why mess up something that work for class 5-A to benefit other school that not right to them

GuvHog

June 28, 2014, 04:54:47 pm #5 Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:56:29 pm by GuvHog

Why do you have a problem with my 5A set up when Wynne would not be a part of it??? The only thing Wynne would do is trade Valley View for Marion which means less travel.

GuvHog

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on June 27, 2014, 07:04:43 pm
9 team conference creates unwanted bye weeks. Also, you have to plan for second Bentonville school and Jax/North P combining.

I do like the wheels turning, though. Why did you pick 18 teams? Why not 20? Just wondering.

I don't like that set up either.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 28, 2014, 04:54:47 pm

Why do you have a problem with my 5A set up when Wynne would not be a part of it??? The only thing Wynne would do is trade Valley View for Marion which means less travel.

It still involves the 5A to accommodate a few in the 6A and 7A.  No thanks.

Those two classifications need to figure out their own problems - and not seek a fix by dragging the 5A into it.

rona

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 28, 2014, 05:00:49 pm

Those two classifications need to figure out their own problems - and not seek a fix by dragging the 5A into it.

All of us will vote for what we think will help our Team WIN - no need to suggest we are accommodating or just being hard headed and selfish.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: rona on June 28, 2014, 05:32:02 pm

All of us will vote for what we think will help our Team WIN - no need to suggest we are accommodating or just being hard headed and selfish.

At the expense of other programs.

It's massively hypocritical to pee and moan about size differential, yet want to combine in a new classification where they'd have the largest populations in it. 

GuvHog

There IS no fix that would involve only those 2 classifications.

All classifications would be involved, not just the 5A.

the 24-32-32 32 set up is just the best way to go.

DogsWin7

Whatever happened to voting for what's best for ALL involved and not just your team??   

Jacketman65

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on June 28, 2014, 06:53:18 pm

Whatever happened to voting for what's best for ALL involved and not just your team??   
Diehard, that ship sailed a long time ago!

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 28, 2014, 06:13:14 pm

Then combine 7A & 6A and be done with it.

Hoghead

5A is fine the way it is. 6A & 7A needs to be combined.

GuvHog

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 28, 2014, 10:51:32 pm

I disagree, that's a bad idea. The size disparity between the largest 7A School and the smallest 6A school would be ridiculously large. When the top 6 teams from 6A are added to the 7A The disparity is smaller and more acceptable. The 24-32-32-32 just makes too much sense. Granted the 3A and 2A classifications would be larger and have more conferences but that's already the case anyway.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 29, 2014, 01:26:59 pm
The size disparity between the largest 7A School and the smallest 6A school would be ridiculously large.

Yet a large size disparity between the largest 6A and the smallest 5A is fine.

24-32-whatever is silly and makes absolute hypocrites of any 6A program for it, yet wanting to get away from 7A competition.

Go Postal

Why do we have to have 7A with 16 and 6A with 16 when they play each other anyway during the conference season, then go to playoffs in their own conferences depending on the power ratings.  I know this happens in that other sport and since I don't keep up with the 7A/6A as much in football, I believe it's the same way.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  So I'm saying that if the 7A/6A play each other in the regular season, then 32 teams for them should not be to different.  Yes, larger schools do have more players to pick from, but that won't be any difference per say when in Greenwood's last year in the 5A, they had around 90+ players, 33 were seniors.

Now all of this speculation doesn't take into account of a private school that can move to a different conference for a cycle change.

GuvHog

June 29, 2014, 09:05:40 pm #18 Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:43:53 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 29, 2014, 03:19:48 pm
The size disparity between the largest 7A School and the smallest 6A school would be ridiculously large.

24-32-whatever is silly and makes absolute hypocrites of any 6A program for it, yet wanting to get away from 7A competition.

Under my proposal, the top 8 schools from 6A would move to 7A, the top 24 teams from 5A would move up to 6A, the top 24 schools form 4A would move up to 5A, the top 24 schools from 3A  would move up to 4A, and the remaining schools would be split between the 3A and 2A conferences.

Big Fan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 29, 2014, 09:05:40 pm

You need to read my proposal because you are wrong. Under my proposal, the top 6 teams from 6A would move to 7A, the top 6 from 5A would move up to 6A, the top 6 form 4A would move up to 5A, the top 6 3A teams would move up to 4A, and the remaining schools would be split between the 3A and 2A conferences.
You need to re-read your own proposal, because moving 6 teams up from 6A to 7A would equal 22 teams. 

HorseFeathers

You need to read my proposal because you are wrong. Under my proposal, the top 6 teams from 6A would move to 7A, the top 6 from 5A would move up to 6A, the top 6 form 4A would move up to 5A, the top 6 3A teams would move up to 4A, and the remaining schools would be split between the 3A and 2A conferences.

Top 8 of 6A would move up to 7A...(schools enrollment would currently range from 978 to 2278)
top 24 of 5A would join bottom 8 of 6A to form new 6A or 5A(Schools enrollment would range from 529 to 951)

Hoghead

Quote from: Mike Bonds on June 27, 2014, 04:14:28 pm
As many of us know, we're looking at new classifications every two years.  Reclassifications always bring discontent, but the discontent--and the lawsuits for AAA--are getting more and more serious.  I understand that AAA has a difficult job in classifying the football schools; issues of travel time, competitive parity, and the preservation of traditional matchups are just a few of the concerns involved. 

The current arrangement of teams, especially those at the top of the system, isn't satisfactory.  The weird 7A/6A swirl isn't really a classification or conference at all.  However, I feel that there's a solution to the problems. 

First, I think we should start reclassifying every 4 years instead of every 2, keeping us from riding the reclassification carousel with this level of frequency, adding stability to the system.

Second, it's time to jettison the 16-team classifications at the top.  There's nothing especially magical about the number, other than having 4 teams from 4 conferences forming a 16-team playoff.  We already don't have that at the 7A/6A level.  Instead, I propose that we go to a 6A classification with 18 teams, divided into a West and an East.  The breakdown would look like this:

6A West
Bentonville
Springdale
Fayetteville
HarBer
Southside
Rogers
Heritage
Northside
Van Buren

6A East
Cabot
Conway
NLR
Central
Bryant
West Memphis
Catholic
Russellville
Jonesboro

Nothing is perfect, but this setup makes far more sense to me.  Playoffs would have the top 4 teams meet up in an 8-team playoff.

The next 48, now mostly in 6A and 5A, would be combined into a single classification.  The teams would be divided into 6 conferences like this:

1-5A
Marion
Greene County Tech
Forrest City
Nettleton
Wynne
Paragould
Blytheville
Valley View

2-5A
LR Christian
McClellan
LR Hall
Pulaski Academy
Jacksonville
Mills
Sylvan Hills
LR Parkview

3-5A
J.A. Fair
El Dorado
White Hall
Pine Bluff
Monticello
Texarkana
Watson Chapel
Camden Fairview

4-5A
Lakeside
Lake Hamiton
Hot Springs
Benton
Hope
DeQueen
Sheridan
Magnolia

5-5A
Mountain Home
Siloam Springs
Alma
Greenwood
Harrison
Clarksville
Farmington
Huntsville

6-5A
Greenbrier
Vilonia
Maumelle
Morrilton
Searcy
Beebe
Batesville
North Pulaski

This arrangement makes a ton of sense, both competitively and certainly travel-wise.  It's time to realize that current system isn't working, and this system would be a major improvement.

I know it's just food for thought. But Sheridan in the same conference as Magnolia ? Camden Fairview, Texarkana and El Dorado in with PB, WC and WH ? Why drive past schools in the same classification to get to Pine Bluff ? Wouldn't be more fesible to do it this way.

Magnolia
DeQueen
HS LKS
Hot Springs
Hope
Camden Fvw
Texarkana
Lake Hamilton

Then go with

Pine Bluff
WC
WH
Sheridan
Benton
El Dorado
Monticello
J.A. Fair

This cuts out all of those Texarkana to Pine Bluff trips. I know you can't fix it all. Benton to El Dorado is a good ride. As it is over to Monticello. 5A is in good shape without any changes. Especially the 5A South.  5A Central has the easiest travel schedule in the State.

Uncle Ivan

People seriously need to realize that leaving things alone is a viable plan.

That goes far beyond sports.

GuvHog

Quote from: Big Fan on June 29, 2014, 09:43:07 pm

You need to re-read your own proposal, because moving 6 teams up from 6A to 7A would equal 22 teams. 

Correct. I meant top 8 in classifications 7A thru 3. After the top 8 from 3 A are moved up to 4A, the 3A and 2A will split the remaining schools. Something around 40 teams in both 3A and 2A.

GuvHog

Quote from: HF on June 30, 2014, 12:16:09 am

You need to read my proposal because you are wrong. Under my proposal, the top 8 teams from 6A would move to 7A, the top 8 from 5A would move up to 6A, the top 8 form 4A would move up to 5A, the top 8 3A teams would move up to 4A, and the remaining schools would be split between the 3A and 2A conferences.

Top 8 of 6A would move up to 7A...(schools enrollment would currently range from 978 to 2278)
top 24 of 5A would join bottom 8 of 6A to form new 6A or 5A(Schools enrollment would range from 529 to 951)

Not correct. Under my proposal only the top 8 class 5A teams would move to the 6A.

Big Fan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2014, 09:46:16 am

You need to read my proposal because you are wrong. Under my proposal, the top 8 teams from 6A would move to 7A, the top 8 from 5A would move up to 6A, the top 8 form 4A would move up to 5A, the top 8 3A teams would move up to 4A, and the remaining schools would be split between the 3A and 2A conferences.

Not correct. Under my proposal only the top 8 class 5A teams would move to the 6A.
I see math is an issue for you.......

AirWarren

Quote from: Big Fan on June 30, 2014, 10:24:49 am

Common core, son.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Hoghead on June 30, 2014, 12:19:40 am

6A West
Bentonville
Springdale
Fayetteville
HarBer
Southside
Rogers
Heritage
Northside
Van Buren

6A East
Cabot
Conway
NLR
Central
Bryant
West Memphis
Catholic
Russellville
Jonesboro

1-5A
Marion
Greene County Tech
Forrest City
Nettleton
Wynne
Paragould
Blytheville
Valley View

2-5A
LR Christian
McClellan
LR Hall
Pulaski Academy
Jacksonville
Mills
Sylvan Hills
LR Parkview

3-5A
J.A. Fair
El Dorado
White Hall
Pine Bluff
Monticello
Texarkana
Watson Chapel
Camden Fairview

4-5A
Lakeside
Lake Hamiton
Hot Springs
Benton
Hope
DeQueen
Sheridan
Magnolia

5-5A
Mountain Home
Siloam Springs
Alma
Greenwood
Harrison
Clarksville
Farmington
Huntsville

6-5A
Greenbrier
Vilonia
Maumelle
Morrilton
Searcy
Beebe
Batesville
North Pulaski

I know it's just food for thought. But Sheridan in the same conference as Magnolia ? Camden Fairview, Texarkana and El Dorado in with PB, WC and WH ? Why drive past schools in the same classification to get to Pine Bluff ? Wouldn't be more fesible to do it this way.

Magnolia
DeQueen
HS LKS
Hot Springs
Hope
Camden Fvw
Texarkana
Lake Hamilton

Then go with

Pine Bluff
WC
WH
Sheridan
Benton
El Dorado
Monticello
J.A. Fair

This cuts out all of those Texarkana to Pine Bluff trips. I know you can't fix it all. Benton to El Dorado is a good ride. As it is over to Monticello. 5A is in good shape without any changes. Especially the 5A South.  5A Central has the easiest travel schedule in the State.
It doesn't happen often, but I completely agree with HH here.  Texarkana and Monticello in the same conference is nuts.

Mike Bonds

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on June 27, 2014, 07:04:43 pm

My thought on 18 schools was that you'd still give everyone 2 non-conference opponents.  My assumption was that the open dates would work out with cross-scheduling at that level.  20 would be fine too, but if we're going to keep round-robin at the conference level, that would only leave one non-conference date.  Doable, but not sure that the top schools would like that level of inflexibility in the schedule.

Mike Bonds

6A West
Bentonville
Springdale
Fayetteville
HarBer
Southside
Rogers
Heritage
Northside
Van Buren

6A East
Cabot
Conway
NLR
Central
Bryant
West Memphis
Catholic
Russellville
Jonesboro

1-5A
Marion
Greene County Tech
Forrest City
Nettleton
Wynne
Paragould
Blytheville
Valley View

2-5A
LR Christian
McClellan
LR Hall
Pulaski Academy
Jacksonville
Mills
Sylvan Hills
LR Parkview

3-5A
J.A. Fair
El Dorado
White Hall
Pine Bluff
Monticello
Texarkana
Watson Chapel
Camden Fairview

4-5A
Lakeside
Lake Hamiton
Hot Springs
Benton
Hope
DeQueen
Sheridan
Magnolia

5-5A
Mountain Home
Siloam Springs
Alma
Greenwood
Harrison
Clarksville
Farmington
Huntsville

6-5A
Greenbrier
Vilonia
Maumelle
Morrilton
Searcy
Beebe
Batesville
North Pulaski

Magnolia
DeQueen
HS LKS
Hot Springs
Hope
Camden Fvw
Texarkana
Lake Hamilton

Then go with

Pine Bluff
WC
WH
Sheridan
Benton
El Dorado
Monticello
J.A. Fair

I'd agree that's a better arrangement.  At least there's some dialog going on about how to fix it.

And I think fixing it is going to involve at least the top 3 classifications, and quite possibly all of them.  My goal is to impact the fewest number of teams overall.  Adding 2 to the top class and 2 to the next class seemed to me to have the smallest overall impact.

GuvHog

Quote from: Big Fan on June 30, 2014, 10:24:49 am

Not at all.

I figured My proposal wrong. You are correct. I've made the correction.

Here is a corrected version:

Under my proposal, the top 8 schools from 6A would move to 7A, the top 24 teams from 5A would move up to 6A, the top 24 schools form 4A would move up to 5A, the top 24 schools from 3A  would move up to 4A, and the remaining schools would be split between the 3A and 2A conferences.

GuvHog

June 30, 2014, 04:03:51 pm #31 Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:11:45 pm by GuvHog
Hmmm.......

5A Northeast
Marion
Greene County Tech
Forrest City
Nettleton
Wynne
Paragould
Blytheville
Valley View

5A Central
LR Christian
McClellan
LR Hall
Pulaski Academy
Jacksonville
Mills
Sylvan Hills
LR Parkview

5A Southeast
J.A. Fair
El Dorado
White Hall
Pine Bluff
Monticello
Benton
Watson Chapel
Sheridan

5A Southwest
Lakeside
Lake Hamiton
Hot Springs
Texarkana
Hope
DeQueen
Camden Fairview
Magnolia

5A Northwest
Mountain Home
Siloam Springs
Alma
Greenwood
Harrison
Clarksville
Farmington
Huntsville

5A North
Greenbrier
Vilonia
Maumelle
Morrilton
Searcy
Beebe
Batesville
North Pulaski

That just might work.

I doubt Russellville having to travel to West Memphis and vice verse in the top 18 (6A) will fly though.

The top 18 (6A) would also lose a non-conference game and I don't think that will fly either.

Big Fan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2014, 03:45:20 pm
I figured My proposal wrong. You are correct.
Tell me something I don't know.

GuvHog

June 30, 2014, 04:35:55 pm #33 Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:41:37 pm by GuvHog
Here are the top 3 classification setups of my 24-32-32-32 Proposal

7A
WEST                                  CENTRAL
Bentonville                            Conway
FS Northside                         Russelville
Springdale                            FS Southside
Fayetteville                          LR Hall
Har-Ber                                Bryant
Rogers                                 Benton
Heritage                               El Dorado
Van Buren                            Lake Hamilton

EAST
West Memphis
Cabot
Jonesboro
LR Catholic
NLR
LR Central
Marion
Pine Bluff

6A

South                                            West
Sheridan                                     Siloam Springs
Texarkana                                        Alma
Watson Chapel                              Greenwood
H.S. Lakeside                                 Greenbrier
White Hall                                       Villonia
Hot Springs                                 Mountain Home
Magnolia                                        Maumelle
Camden Fairview                              Harrison

EAST                                            CENTRAL
Searcy                                          LR Parkview
Blytheville                                     LR McClellan
Greene County Tech                         J.A. Fair
Forrest City                                   Jacksonville
Batesville                                       Sylvan Hills
Nettleton                                         Beebe
Wynne                                            Mills
Paragould                                     North Pulaski

5A
EAST                                       WEST

Valley View                                   Pea Ridge
HWH                                      Prairie Grove
Lonoke                                   Farmington
Heber Springs                          Pottsville
Pocahontas                             Gravette
Jonesboro Westside                  Huntsville
Batesville Southside                  Dardenelle
Brookland                                Ozark                             

Southeast                                 Southwest

LR Christian                               Hope
Pulaski Academy                      DeQueen
Stuttgart                                Morrilton
Star City                                Ashdown
Bauxite                                  Arkadelphia
Pulaski Robinson                      Mena
Crossett                                Malvern
Monticello                              Nashville

Lionheart88

I don't know why we're having this argument in two different threads in two different boards, but I'll repost my post from MMQB down here:

Quote from: Lionheart88 on June 30, 2014, 12:06:02 pm
Quote from: GuvHog on June 28, 2014, 03:52:12 pm
24-32-32-32 still works the best

6A

South                                            West
Sheridan                                     Siloam Springs
Texarkana                                        Alma
Watson Chapel                              Greenwood
H.S. Lakeside                                 Greenbrier
White Hall                                       Villonia
Hot Springs                                 Mountain Home
Magnolia                                        Maumelle
W.D. Mills*                                      Harrison

EAST                                            CENTRAL
Marion                                          LR Parkview
Blytheville                                     LR McClellan
Greene County Tech                         J.A. Fair
Forrest City                                   Jacksonville*
Batesville                                       Sylvan Hills
Nettleton                                         Beebe
Wynne                                            Searcy
Paragould                                     North Pulaski*

*If Jacksonville and North Pulaski merge, that school would move to 7A, Hall High would move down to the 6A Central, W.D Mills will move from 6A South to 6A Central, and Camden Fairview will move up to the 6A South.

5A

EAST                                       WEST

Valley View                              Pea Ridge
Stuttgart                                Prairie Grove
Lonoke                                   Farmington
Heber Springs                          Morrilton
Pocahontas                             Gravette
Jonesboro Westside                  Huntsville
Batesville Southside                  Dardenelle
Brookland                                Ozark                             

Southeast                                 Southwest

LR Christian                             Hope
Pulaski Academy                      DeQueen
HWH                                      Monticello
Star City                                Ashdown
Bauxite                                  Arkadelphia
Pulaski Robinson                      Mena
Crossett                                Malvern
Monticello                              Nashville
Some of those splits are a little odd to me.  Here's how I'd do it:

7A

WEST                            CENTRAL
Bentonville                            Conway
Bentonville West                    Russellville
Springdale                            FS Southside
Fayetteville                          FS Northside
Har-Ber                                NLR
Rogers                                 Jonesboro
Heritage                               Cabot
Van Buren                            West Memphis

SOUTH
Lake Hamilton
El Dorado
Benton
Bryant
LR Catholic
LR Central
LR Hall
Pine Bluff

Russellville to WM or Jonesboro sucks, but it's a shorter drive on better roads than Russellville to ElDo.

I can't really argue with your 6A and 5A distribution, they make sense to me.

If the AAA was willing to go away from 8-team conference (fat chance, but let's dream for a second) I'd do it this way:

NORTH
Bentonville
Bentonville 2
Springdale
HarBer
Rogers
Heritage

WEST
Fayetteville
Van Buren
FS Northside
FS Southside
Russellville
Conway

EAST
Jonesboro
West Memphis
Cabot
NLR
LR Catholic
LR Hall

SOUTH
LR Central
Bryant
Benton
Pine Bluff
Lake Hamilton
ElDo

Go Postal

June 30, 2014, 07:13:09 pm #35 Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:17:21 pm by Go Postal
How many miles is that from Greenwood or even Alma to Mtn Home?

HorseFeathers

almost 4 hours from Greenwood to Mountain Home

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: HF on June 30, 2014, 10:20:14 pm
almost 4 hours from Greenwood to Mountain Home

Nice drive on a Tuesday school night.

the voice

Also Morrilton could very likely move down, missed it by only a couple this last cycle. In fact I was told if  SC had opted to stay up , the devil dogs would be in 4a next cycle.

Cajun Hog

If they AAA doesn't find a way to reduce travel in all sports (except football), they know the courts will do it for them.  They plan that has the best chance to pass is you would play local games during regular season, then go into a district tournament for state seeding. 

Youngsta71701

July 01, 2014, 01:02:35 pm #40 Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:05:08 pm by Youngsta71701

I agree. If these teams can play each other during the regular season then they should have no problem playing in the same playoffs. Combine the 7A and 6A and have a 16 team playoff like the 5A and be through with it. It's much more simple that way. When the 5A was the largest conference teams like eldorado and camden had to play teams like bentonville and northside in the playoffs and we often held our own. If your team is good then your team is good plain & simple.

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 01, 2014, 01:02:35 pm

I agree. If these teams can play each other during the regular season then they should have no problem playing in the same playoffs. Combine the 7A and 6A and have a 16 team playoff like the 5A and be through with it. It's much more simple that way. When the 5A was the largest conference teams like eldorado and camden had to play teams like bentonville and northside in the playoffs and we often held our own. If your team is good then your team is good plain & simple.

That's been proposed at least TWICE and has failed badly both times. It's time to let that go and look for a proposal that at least has a chance of passing. IMHO my 24-32-32-32 proposal would pass

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on July 01, 2014, 02:31:05 pm

That's been proposed at least TWICE and has failed badly both times. It's time to let that go and look for a proposal that at least has a chance of passing. IMHO my 24-32-32-32 proposal would pass

That's cool. I guess the AAA is so smart they make everything so complicated for everybody else. That's the way it used to be and it worked so why wouldn't it work now?

Uncle Ivan

The AAA could * up a one car parade.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 01, 2014, 04:46:27 pm
The AAA could * up a one car parade.

They would try to do the parade with only 3 tires, no steering wheel and a bunch of clowns...

Mike Bonds

What's so magic about 16?  It's simple, sure, but if we're really worried about parity and giving smaller schools in that big classification a change, go to 20 or 24 with some byes.

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 01, 2014, 03:45:46 pm
Quote from: GuvHog on July 01, 2014, 02:31:05 pm

That's cool. I guess the AAA is so smart they make everything so complicated for everybody else. That's the way it used to be and it worked so why wouldn't it work now?

Size disparity between the top school and the #32 school. That's why it was split into two 16 team classifications. The 24-32-32-32 setup is a compromise between the 2. In the 24-32-32-32 system, the size disparity is not as large in the 7A classification and it greatly reduces travel problems at the same time.

Hoghead

Quote from: Lionheart88 on June 30, 2014, 12:17:39 pm

6A West
Bentonville
Springdale
Fayetteville
HarBer
Southside
Rogers
Heritage
Northside
Van Buren

6A East
Cabot
Conway
NLR
Central
Bryant
West Memphis
Catholic
Russellville
Jonesboro

1-5A
Marion
Greene County Tech
Forrest City
Nettleton
Wynne
Paragould
Blytheville
Valley View

2-5A
LR Christian
McClellan
LR Hall
Pulaski Academy
Jacksonville
Mills
Sylvan Hills
LR Parkview

3-5A
J.A. Fair
El Dorado
White Hall
Pine Bluff
Monticello
Texarkana
Watson Chapel
Camden Fairview

4-5A
Lakeside
Lake Hamiton
Hot Springs
Benton
Hope
DeQueen
Sheridan
Magnolia

5-5A
Mountain Home
Siloam Springs
Alma
Greenwood
Harrison
Clarksville
Farmington
Huntsville

6-5A
Greenbrier
Vilonia
Maumelle
Morrilton
Searcy
Beebe
Batesville
North Pulaski

Magnolia
DeQueen
HS LKS
Hot Springs
Hope
Camden Fvw
Texarkana
Lake Hamilton

Then go with

Pine Bluff
WC
WH
Sheridan
Benton
El Dorado
Monticello
J.A. Fair

It doesn't happen often, but I completely agree with HH here.  Texarkana and Monticello in the same conference is nuts.

Hence the  AAA has already given us Genoa Central (Texarkana) and Drew Central (Monticello) already in the same conference. Prescott and Mcghee as well !!!

Go Postal

The way that the AAA splits conference is for football.  But when other sports, boys/girls come in to effect, with some schools having only a boys or girls team, then it changes up some what.  For instance in soccer, SC only has a girls team, Vilonia boys/girls were in the East due to not all East teams playing that sport.  I don't know the solution, for all sports, but football, maybe basketball  is what the AAA will look at.

tmycjy

Quote from: Go Postal on July 02, 2014, 06:50:42 pm
The way that the AAA splits conference is for football.  But when other sports, boys/girls come in to effect, with some schools having only a boys or girls team, then it changes up some what.  For instance in soccer, SC only has a girls team, Vilonia boys/girls were in the East due to not all East teams playing that sport.  I don't know the solution, for all sports, but football, maybe basketball  is what the AAA will look at.

Hey he right on the soccer thing  because wynne prime example of that last year we only field a boy team and let the girls play on that the year before that we had both

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas