• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question to Paragould: What is the story with your turf?

Started by sevenof400, April 12, 2014, 06:17:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

With respect to Paragould's field, how long has the current turf been installed?  I can't recall any field turf anywhere looking so rough but is the Paragould turf a different type of turf?

With just about every school beating a path toward the installation of artificial turf, I keep seeing this field as exhibit A on why your field costs will likely increase if you install the fake stuff.  No one seems to mention the fact that artificial turf will need to be replaced (it doesn't last forever) and few (if any) cost estimates I've seen address the removal and reinstallation costs of artificial turf.

At any rate, I am curious to learn more about the Paragould situation if anyone would care to comment.

ricepig

First, I don't think the internet works in the PSD, just GCT. The turf is at least 7-8 years old, I'm not sure of the brand. What's the problems with it? Batesville replaced theirs last summer, how long had it been down?

sevenof400

April 12, 2014, 09:10:22 pm #2 Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:13:16 pm by sevenof400
It is a very bare turf, Ricepig with very little padding (if any).
If that is original astroturf, I can recall one of the complaints about the original product being that it was very hard.  If this turf is that old, it would be long past the point of replacement.

The funny thing though is that in contrast, Paragould's track is in pretty good shape.  Somewhat odd to have very old turf in the middle of a fairly well cared for track.  I've been going to Paragould for only about six years but I believe this turf in the same that was there even then. 

The Paragould facilities seem to be in pretty good shape overall - perhaps in need of some maintenance here and there.  The football field seems to be in the worst shape of the fields in Paragould though.

Since you mentioned GCT, Ricepig, do you know if they play their football games on that junior high campus on Hwy 412 or do they have another field elsewhere?

Taxman

from what I understand Paragould is replacing their turf this year.  it is hard to ref on and the players do seem to have a little trouble with it as well.

GCT is still playing games out on 412.  Heard that a complex is planned for the new campus but can't verify that.

ricepig

Quote from: Taxman on April 13, 2014, 02:50:50 pm
from what I understand Paragould is replacing their turf this year.  it is hard to ref on and the players do seem to have a little trouble with it as well.

GCT is still playing games out on 412.  Heard that a complex is planned for the new campus but can't verify that.

Yeah, but who knows when they'll build it. If it was a new gym, it would already have been built.

I know mine played 7th/8th grade football on it years ago when he was at Annie Camp and that was 8 years ago. I think they tell you on the newer turfs that you can get 7-10 years out of them.

MDXPHD

Paragould doesn't maintain their turf like it should be maintained.  It's not something you just lay down and let sit there for ten years.  It has to be properly cared for.

Turf is supposed to be replaced around 8-10 years when it's maintained.  So theirs should still be in decent shape.

sevenof400

I feel for the kids who have to play on that turf on a regular basis.  I can't imagine their turf burns heal until long after the season is over for whatever sports are playing. 

GuvHog

GCT is building an indoor football practice facility which is nearing completion and a New Stadium is next on the list.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on April 14, 2014, 04:54:35 pm

GCT is building an indoor football practice facility which is nearing completion and a New Stadium is next on the list.

Indoor facility was finished last winter.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: MDXPHD on April 14, 2014, 12:15:34 pm
Paragould doesn't maintain their turf like it should be maintained.  It's not something you just lay down and let sit there for ten years.  It has to be properly cared for.

Turf is supposed to be replaced around 8-10 years when it's maintained.  So theirs should still be in decent shape.

Paragould built that stadium in...04?  05?  Falls in that 8-10 year window.

Big Fan

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2014, 06:07:14 pm

GuvHog is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  He can type faster than he thinks. 

AirWarren

Guv always starts his BS with "what I've heard." 

Look at the crap he puts on hogville.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: AirWarren on April 14, 2014, 09:38:40 pm
Guv always starts his BS with "what I've heard." 

Look at the crap he puts on hogville.

He does alright in the Poli board against some profoundly stupid posters.

AirWarren

Uncle Ivan

April 14, 2014, 09:57:36 pm #14 Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:11:50 pm by Uncle Ivan
Quote from: AirWarren on April 14, 2014, 09:51:04 pm
Here or HV?

HV.

They've got some fantastic new talent.  A shotgun poster who's about 9yo mentally, a hysterical woman dumber than three bags of hammers, and an internet scholar who does extensive Google searches before rewriting things for every post.

Big Fan

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 14, 2014, 09:57:36 pm
Here or HV?

HV.

They've got some fantastic new talent.  A shotgun poster who's about 9yo mentally, a hysterical woman dumber than three bags of hammers, and an internet scholar who does extensive Google searches before rewriting things for every post.
LOL....never been to HV, but you're sure tempting me! 

DogsWin7

Here or HV?

HV.

Was that necessary?

You can always put me on block.   

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on April 14, 2014, 10:59:51 pm

Was that necessary?

Your insanity meter seems to be much lower than who I was referring to.

Of course, all women are insane, the difference being varying degrees of insanity.

........boy we derailed this thread, didn't we.

BOT - even with bad turf, what Paragould has now still beats Harmon Playfield.

AirWarren

Here or HV?

HV.

I'm currently trolling NWA sunshine pumpers. Too dang easy.

Internet scholar, gotta love Robert Shields.

DogsWin7

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 14, 2014, 11:05:12 pm

Was that necessary?

Of course, all women are insane, the difference being varying degrees of insanity.

Posters are used to it by now.....and Thank you Ivan :)

I'm sorry I misunderstood.

AirWarren

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 14, 2014, 11:05:12 pm

Was that necessary?

BOT - even with bad turf, what Paragould has now still beats Harmon Playfield.

Derail? What is Paragould anyways? Town in Mississippi?

DogsWin7

Robert Shields and BPsTheMan are hilarious!  Lol!!     

That RS guy gets everyone all worked up!!   

AirWarren

Uncle Ivan

Shields' column the other day was a solid trolling job.

AirWarren

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 15, 2014, 06:21:48 am
Shields' column the other day was a solid trolling job.

When is it not?

The man is a retarded genius.

GuvHog

Quote from: Big Fan on April 14, 2014, 09:30:18 pm
Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2014, 06:07:14 pm

GuvHog is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  He can type faster than he thinks. 

We had a multi class reunion at the new High School last year and the indoor facility wasn't completed then. Glad to hear that they've finished it.

Adjudicator

Just to update the Paragould turf situation.  As of Monday (5/19) they began rolling up the old turf and a new playing surface will be laid in the coming weeks.  That turf is 9 years old and it was not maintained very well.  So in a few weeks there should be a new surface down.  Will try to keep updates on the progress.

As far as GCT goes, who knows.  I asked a board member yesterday about it and he smiled and shrugged his shoulders!!  So they will play another year or two....or three on the cow pasture they call a football field. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Adjudicator on May 22, 2014, 02:22:51 pm
Just to update the Paragould turf situation.  As of Monday (5/19) they began rolling up the old turf and a new playing surface will be laid in the coming weeks.  That turf is 9 years old and it was not maintained very well.  So in a few weeks there should be a new surface down.  Will try to keep updates on the progress.

As far as GCT goes, who knows.  I asked a board member yesterday about it and he smiled and shrugged his shoulders!!  So they will play another year or two....or three on the cow pasture they call a football field. 

Good Grief! I helped build that thing when I was in High School at Tech. They should have moved the  visitors to what is now the Home side and built new home stands with bigger press box, Concession stand and larger bathrooms years ago.

chaingang

June 22, 2014, 12:04:59 pm #28 Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:06:33 pm by chaingang
Quote from: GuvHog on May 22, 2014, 03:35:49 pm

Good Grief! I helped build that thing when I was in High School at Tech. They should have moved the  visitors to what is now the Home side and built new home stands with bigger press box, Concession stand and larger bathrooms years ago.
They should have built a New Stadium when they built the ''New High School''.........that kinda proved to me where Football stood at Tech......a place where everyone comes to see the Band on Friday night and then goes home after the half.......I've watched it happen for years.

Made

completely off topic from the turf I know....but was needing some football, so i started cruising through hudl highlights from teams in NE Arkansas. I have to ask, what offense does Paragould run?

Adjudicator

Update on Paragould's new turf.  The installation has been completed.  Will be ready for play when dead period ends.  It looks real nice.  Green turf with red end zones with white block letters that says "PARAGOULD".  It has a blue border all around except in the restricted area between the 25's. 

Update on GCT- talked to a board member last week and word is they are considering a renovation of the old stadium on Hwy 412.  Makes no sense at all.  There is no money to build a new stadium at the new HS.  Oh and I hear they hired a head coach from Kansas.  This should be very interesting to say the least...

ricepig

Quote from: Adjudicator on June 26, 2014, 02:49:27 pm

Update on Paragould's new turf.  The installation has been completed.  Will be ready for play when dead period ends.  It looks real nice.  Green turf with red end zones with white block letters that says "PARAGOULD".  It has a blue border all around except in the restricted area between the 25's. 

Update on GCT- talked to a board member last week and word is they are considering a renovation of the old stadium on Hwy 412.  Makes no sense at all.  There is no money to build a new stadium at the new HS.  Oh and I hear they hired a head coach from Kansas.  This should be very interesting to say the least...

Maybe GCT could sell one of the 8 gyms they have, surely buy a goal post or two.

Cabotred

Article about Cabot replacing their turf after nine years. Going to cost $325,000.

http://www.cabotschools.org/news/653/panther-stadium-closed-for-field-renovations

GuvHog

Quote from: Adjudicator on June 26, 2014, 02:49:27 pm

Tech could do a lot with that stadium and make it very sharp. They need to move the visitors to what is now the home side and build much larger Home stands on the other side with a new larger press box with concessions and restrooms underneath, Redo the track, Put artificial turf on the field, and build new restrooms on what will be the Visitors side. They should also turn that old baseball field into a paved parking lot for the home fans.

blackhawkdown

Quote from: Made on June 24, 2014, 01:15:21 pm
completely off topic from the turf I know....but was needing some football, so i started cruising through hudl highlights from teams in NE Arkansas. I have to ask, what offense does Paragould run?

I graduated from Paragould this year and played football for 3 years under Coach Branum. We ran a version of the wing T. While the wing T was based on a lot of option principles, our vision (created by Coach Branum) relied on the base plays, the power and the dive. It's a very simple offense and it can really rack up yards and points if paired with the right personal. This year however, I have talked to coach Branum and they are switching to a spread attack this year to fit personal.

Adjudicator

Thanks Blackhawk but what does Paragould's offense have to do with the topic thjat is being discussed?  Really!?  Anyway, Guv made a real good point about GCT and what can be done with that stadium.  We have been saying for years to do this.  Build the indoor facility where the old baseball field was.  Build new press box on west side and enlarge the stands.  Leave the east side alone and use that press box for recording the games and such.  Then dig up the cow pasture they now play on and install new synthetic turf.  But those ideas were said to be not practical.  But building a new indoor facility at the new high school and not have a stadium there IS practical?  Still a lot of heads shaking in Greene Co over that deal.

Downnotout

DogsWin7

Quote from: Downnotout on July 10, 2014, 03:09:15 pm

I have no idea what offense Paragould runs.....

Are there even any posters on here from Paragould??  Is that Mike guy from Paragould??     The one who painted his name on the water tower or do I have that confused with someone else??  :)

I do know that I run a mile in about 8 to 9 min depending on the heat.  :)

Bullethead

Paragould first used the "old" turf in spring of 2003 for soccer(field was not ready for football that 2002 season.)  Football played 10 seasons on the old turf.  The cost of man hours, painting, mowing, watering, fertilizer, weed killer, topdressing the field, etc. for 10 years(with guaranteed practice and game conditions for football, soccer, band practices,track meets, 7 on 7, camps, etc) = the cost of new turf every 10 years.  It is a no-brainer for schools to install turf.  The new turfs now being installed also hold up much better.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas