• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Favorites For 2014?

Started by Youngsta71701, December 18, 2013, 01:29:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Let the conversation begin. As you guys know football never stops.

The Future

Morrilton will most likely take the West and be the favorite from the West to win it all.
Camden of course is Camden.
Batesville hoping 4th time is a charm.
Wynne is getting better guys.
We will see if Hope  can repeat the success from this season.
Pulaski Academy I guess has to be in here somewheres.

wing

Quote from: The Future on December 18, 2013, 01:44:52 pm
Morrilton will most likely take the West and be the favorite from the West to win it all.

Those six should be in the hunt again. Isn't Valley View moving up to 5A? CF will need to work hard this off season. Kicker....hello!! A lot of holes to fill, especially on defense. And who's our next #5?  I'm sure everyone else has holes to fill. Would like to hear how it looks for other teams.

wonderboy

Morrilton has some rebuilding to do. Their a year away from contending for a title but theynwill make the playoffs.

Youngsta71701

Camdens field goal kicking, situational playcalling, and coaching decisions were all questionable in 2013. Has to get better if they wanna compete for the championship again.

MDXPHD

Quote from: wing on December 18, 2013, 02:22:56 pm
Quote from: The Future on December 18, 2013, 01:44:52 pm

Those six should be in the hunt again. Isn't Valley View moving up to 5A? CF will need to work hard this off season. Kicker....hello!! A lot of holes to fill, especially on defense. And who's our next #5?  I'm sure everyone else has holes to fill. Would like to hear how it looks for other teams.

Valley View will finish 3 or 4 in the East.  They won't beat Batesville or Wynne. 

It seems like there isn't a clear cut favorite for the 5A next season.

I'm sure Ghost will be back and say that White Hall will be the favorite, but it's unlikely.

I wonder if Hope will continue success off of this season or they will continue like their previous 5?

Morrilton will feed off of this seasons success and a weak West now. 

I agree with everything that has been said about CF.  IF they had a kicker this year, they win a few more games.  It's that simple.  Surely they can develop one well enough to allow him to try extra points consistently.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 19, 2013, 05:15:16 am
situational playcalling, and coaching decisions were all questionable in 2013. Has to get better if they wanna compete for the championship again.

Yeah, none of us saw that coming.

Hoghead

Wynne has a shot of being very good. They have a lot of young guys coming back.
PA will just reload, they'll find players as always.
Batesville, after 3 year run like they have had I can't see them being any better. They'll be good though.
CFHS, Buck will have the talent, but he's gotta make better decesions.
Hope, will be good again. Better on Offense with the BIG QB coming in. Defense will be decent, but not as salty as this year.
Morrilton will handle the West. Alma rolls out to 6A and the West 2 spot is wide open !

So I go with a very early Top 5 of.....
1. Wynne
2. Morrilton
3. PA
4. Hope
5. Camden Fairview

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Hoghead on December 19, 2013, 09:24:59 am

Around twenty returning starters.

That is, if they're all still there come next summer.

wing

Batesville, after 3 year run like they have had I can't see them being any better. They'll be good though.
Hope, will be good again. Better on Offense with the BIG QB coming in. Defense will be decent, but not as salty as this year.
Morrilton will handle the West. Alma rolls out to 6A and the West 2 spot is wide open !

1. Wynne
2. Morrilton
3. PA
4. Hope
5. Camden Fairview

I think  I heard this was a young PA team so they should return a bunch. I know they will miss that LB that's started for the last 8 years. Still should recruit well. Wynne returns almost everyone including the Soph. QB who may be the next Hawkins. (UI, isn't that correct?) King will have Batesville in the mix. Morrilton should win the west. If CF moves BK back to QB, they will have a running threat at QB. This will be a smaller Fairview team so speed will be needed everywhere. Based on Hoghead's assessment of Hope an no I don't work for Hootens, my top 5 would be:

1. PA
2. Wynne
3. Hope
4. Batesville
5. Morrilton/CF

Hoghead

HA HA !!!!  PA losing a 8 year starter at LB !!!!!!  That's Classic !!!!   TOO FUNNY !!!

PercussionMan

I think Morrilton will rebuild after the departure of several seniors...they should steadily improve throughout the season.  I think the biggest thing is obviously finding the replacements for the outgoing offensive weapons.  There is a lot of good up and coming talent who will definitely be young and need to step it up.  The defense is losing quite a bit also.  I really don't see the Devil Dogs just running off with the West...we all know how "wild" the West can be at times.  There's a good up and coming Harrison team that displayed a lot at times this season, Vilonia (can't ever predict how good they might be), a rebuilding Greenbrier, new comers in Farmington, Maumelle, and LR Chrisitian.  I'm looking forward to what may be a totally unpredictable season. 

PercussionMan

Quote from: Hoghead on December 19, 2013, 10:18:47 am
HA HA !!!!  PA losing a 8 year starter at LB !!!!!!  That's Classic !!!!   TOO FUNNY !!!

I got a big kick out of that one as well. 

Wonderdog

1. PA
2. Wynne
3. Batesville
4. Hope
5. CF

Rockhounds x2

December 19, 2013, 04:49:05 pm #14 Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:37:51 pm by Rockhounds x2
PercussionMan:
I think Morrilton will rebuild after the departure of several seniors...they should steadily improve throughout the season.  I think the biggest thing is obviously finding the replacements for the outgoing offensive weapons.  There is a lot of good up and coming talent who will definitely be young and need to step it up.  The defense is losing quite a bit also.  I really don't see the Devil Dogs just running off with the West...we all know how "wild" the West can be at times.  There's a good up and coming Harrison team that displayed a lot at times this season, Vilonia (can't ever predict how good they might be), a rebuilding Greenbrier, new comers in Farmington, Maumelle, and LR Chrisitian.  I'm looking forward to what may be a totally unpredictable season.

gatecrasher

CF better get ready for a beatdown in their opener. We owe them.

Sorry for the troll. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. ;D

Absolut

5A will be wide open as usual. Probably 7 teams have a legitimate shot.

Go Postal

December 19, 2013, 10:03:24 pm #17 Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:51:54 am by Go Postal
Quote from: PercussionMan on December 19, 2013, 01:44:58 pm
I agree with all you have said...
In West football:
Not sure yet what LR Christian, Maumelle or Farmington will bring to the 5A West table.
5A State Champs, Morrilton will have a bullseye on their back from us other West teams to start out the season, losing a lot of seniors doesn't help, but could still be in the West top 3.
Greenbrier had a high powered offense and did well in conference play until their starting QB got injured, but did go to the playoffs.  Problem this year, their defense was suspect.  Next season, we will see.
Vilonia was very interesting this year with all of their injuries on starters and how the lower classes really stepped up.  Always never know how the game will go from one game to another.
Clarksville, still a work in progress.  Never overlook them.
Harrison will bring most of their starters back next season with a lot of good talent moving up.  Their starting Junior QB has now 2 years of experience and will be a Senior next season along with a lot of upcoming Seniors that got a lot of playing time this year.  They were a high powered offense and should be again next season.  The only problem this year was defense/special teams defense.  That problem will be corrected.
East football:
Valley View will be a great addition to Batesville and Wynne.

Now for other sports side note 2014 predictions even though this season hasn't ended yet...
West basketball:
Alma and Clarksville still will make a statement this year.
Harrison has done well so far in nonconference play, but their size is suspect compared to other teams, but can still shoot the lights out from the perimeter.  Ask Alma posters on what last year's Harrison bench can do as in last year's semi game. ;)  But what will happen in 2014, is still up in the air.
Baseball:
PA, LRCA, Vilonia and Harrison should still make a statement this year.  2014 is still up in the air.
East soccer:
Valley View boys (2012 4A Champs)/girls will be an exciting addition in the 5A after this year.  All East boys/girls teams, just beat those 6A Searcy teams if you play them in nonconference, 8)
South soccer:
De Queen boys, one of the best (and largest) teams that I have ever seen in this sport, but lost in the semis against Harrison.  They were a 4-peat 4A Champion and were undefeated in the 5A South last season.  Very good team, but their only problem was that they were not ready for the In-Your-Face-Physical-Play that Harrison or LR Christain and Greenbrier can do. Watch out for them.
West soccer:
Even though 2013 season hasn't played yet, it will be interesting in the West in 2014.  Three of the top 4 boys teams from 2012 (last season, LR Christian, Harrison and Greenbrier) will be in the West with (I believe) the upcoming Vilonia will be coming back to the 5A West from the 5A East during next cycle count.
I have to say for 2014:
In boys, Harrison/LR Christian/De Queen (due to their State Records) with a side helping of Greenbrier and maybe new arrival, Vilonia will be in the playoffs.  All have a good chance to be the 2014 Champs.
In girls, Harrison, LR Christian, maybe PA (due to their State Records) for the 2014 Champs.

Now with all that I said, there will be upsets.  Good Luck to all teams in all sports, this year and when the new cycle starts.

Jeezus louiezzus, I didn't mean to write an novel, but you did ask for "Favorites for 2014?" ;D

Hoghead

Quote from: Absolut on December 19, 2013, 09:51:35 pm
Quote from: Absolut on December 19, 2013, 09:51:35 pm
Should be a very exciting year again !!!

wing

Quote from: gatecrasher on December 19, 2013, 09:36:43 pm

Gate, trolling is not a problem when you are a state champion. We just wish you would give us credit when we beat you vs. "We were young" or "we don't care about non-conference games" or " we are not the same team at the end of the year". While all of that may be true, CF starts practice in August the same time as Eldorado. CSR needs to have his cats ready game #1. And by the way, I've known Scott Reed for a long time. I played with him on the hill. He has the utmost respect from us CF fans and what he has done at Eldorado. The cats will be favored as they should, but when the birds make it three in a row, just give CBJ and the Cardinals just a little credit. Peace!  ;D

Absolut

I can't wait the 5A South will be exciting again. The rematches will be awesome!!!

1. Camden Fairview/Hope
2. Camden Fairview/Watson Chapel
3. Hope/Watson Chapel
4. Watson Chapel/white hall

The Future

Quote from: Absolut on December 20, 2013, 01:38:10 pm
I can't wait the 5A South will be exciting again. The rematches will be awesome!!!

1. Camden Fairview/Hope
2. Camden Fairview/Watson Chapel
3. Hope/Watson Chapel
4. Watson Chapel/white hall

With Chapel, White Hall, and Hope all improving over the last couple years and with Camden dropping in talent for this next season, the South looks to be very entertaining. Any of them 4 teams could end up in any of the 4 playoff spots.

Absolut

You sure Camden Fairview is dropping in talent?

gatecrasher

Quote from: wing on December 20, 2013, 08:43:56 am
Quote from: gatecrasher on December 19, 2013, 09:36:43 pm

Gate, trolling is not a problem when you are a state champion. We just wish you would give us credit when we beat you vs. "We were young" or "we don't care about non-conference games" or " we are not the same team at the end of the year". While all of that may be true, CF starts practice in August the same time as Eldorado. CSR needs to have his cats ready game #1. And by the way, I've known Scott Reed for a long time. I played with him on the hill. He has the utmost respect from us CF fans and what he has done at Eldorado. The cats will be favored as they should, but when the birds make it three in a row, just give CBJ and the Cardinals just a little credit. Peace!  ;D
I have given up guys credit. Go look at my post history.

And when I say we are young, it's nothing against who we play. We started 12 sophomores this year. It took awhile for everyone to gel. Too bad non conference isn't in late Oct. I feel like there would have been a much different outcome.

The Future

Quote from: Absolut on December 20, 2013, 02:55:32 pm
Compars to this past season and the few seasons before that, yes

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: wing on December 19, 2013, 10:11:48 am
Wynne returns almost everyone including the Soph. QB who may be the next Hawkins. (UI, isn't that correct?)

Yes.  Talented kid, though Hawkins good, I doubt it.  Still a good player for someone who didn't play that position until this fall.  Without a doubt should be the QB next year.

vtowneagles

No way vilonia should be called a favorite right now but will have A LOT coming back! Plus a good freshman group coming up! Will have to prove them selfs but their a team to keep ur eye on

C-Mac 73

4th time's a charm. Please don't refer to us as the Buffalo Bills in the off-season. It hurts.  :'(

Hoghead

Quote from: C-Mac 73 on December 23, 2013, 03:53:03 am
4th time's a charm. Please don't refer to us as the Buffalo Bills in the off-season. It hurts.  :'(
Great Seasons ! We'll just call you the Minnesota Vikings !

The Future

Quote from: Hoghead on December 23, 2013, 05:37:57 am

Don't insult Batesville like that lol.
When was the last time Buffalo or Minnesota made it to the Super Bowl?
Batesville has great talent, a great head coach, dominates their conference, makes it to the title game but just can't seem to win it all....
What NFL team does that sound like???
New England Patriots!!!!! haha

Absolut

I'm looking foward to Batesville vs Watson Chapel next season. Should tell who's a state contender in this early season matchup.

Hoghead

Quote from: The Future on December 23, 2013, 12:35:09 pm

Batesville has great talent, a great head coach, dominates their conference, makes it to the title game but just can't seem to win it all....
Quote from: The Future on December 23, 2013, 12:35:09 pm

New England has won the Super Bowl as has Batesville won a State Title. The Minnesota & Buffalo reference is to Batesville having the chance of losing 4 Title games as the Vikings & Bills have.

Go Postal

December 23, 2013, 11:10:48 pm #32 Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:27:51 pm by Go Postal
Speaking on the East Conference, will Valley View bring any talent to the East in football?  I haven't looked on the 4A threads yet to see how they did this year.  I do know that their boys team won the 4A State Championship this last season in soccer, maybe due to four time champs 4A South De Queen moved up to 5A last season (great team BTW in that sport), but was wondering about them in football for next season.

Check that.  I just looked on the 4A.  Not sure how regionals work, but it looks like that they had...
For conference (regionals?):
6 wins, 1 losses, 289 PF, 70 PA.
and for season:
12 wins, 2 losses, 514 PF, 181 PA.

So I'm still stumped.  Will they be able to be a plus for the East with Batesville and Wynne?

Wonderdog

My pm is messed up for some reason. It shows that I have a message but won't let me access it. Did you reply to the pm I sent you? I have been forgetting to ask you.

Hoghead

^^^^ I think they'll be a plus for the East. Another Jonesboro area school keeps the travel down and brings in some talent. I mean with GCT, Paragould, Blytheville & Nettleton being nothing above average it's a plus. We'll see how the Blazers handle the move up to 5A.

Go Postal

Quote from: Hoghead on December 23, 2013, 11:37:28 pm
^^^^ I think they'll be a plus for the East. Another Jonesboro area school keeps the travel down and brings in some talent. I mean with GCT, Paragould, Blytheville & Nettleton being nothing above average it's a plus. We'll see how the Blazers handle the move up to 5A.
I do agree.  Anything is possible.  Moving to the 5A from the 4A is sometimes hard.  Different beast.  For instance, Hoghead, I thought that in "That Sport That Shalt Not Be Mentioned In Alma" that 5A South De Queen was one of the best boys teams that I have ever seen (and that is not just for high school).  They were a 4-peat Champion in the 4A, went undefeated in 5A South conference and made it to the Semis in playoffs for that sport.  Very great team, but their only problem was that they haven't played a In-Your-Face-Physical-Play that Harrison or even LR Christian/Greenbrier can do in that sport.  Like I said, different beast.  I hope that Valley View will be able to go against the hard hitting East teams like Batesville.  Should be interesting, especially during playoffs.

hawgfan15

1. Wynne
2. Morrilton
3. PA
4. Hope
5. Camden Fairview

Hope will be better on offense? Who is next in line at QB? Don't they lose the big RB, leading WR, and several other starters along with Westmoreland?? A lot of big shoes to fill

Hoghead

Quote from: hawgfan15 on December 25, 2013, 03:34:00 pm

1. Wynne
2. Morrilton
3. PA
4. Hope
5. Camden Fairview

Hope will be better on offense? Who is next in line at QB? Don't they lose the big RB, leading WR, and several other starters along with Westmoreland?? A lot of big shoes to fill

The Qb will be the graduating, but his younger brother will be the next Qb (Stuber). They have 3 RB's in Love #5, Corey Haynes Jr. and a Sophmore coming up. They'll be decent on offense with a lot of speed. Defense is going to need some work though.
Stuber is a tall Qb with a good arm. WR Steve Caple #8 can play QB as well. He pulled off the Comeback in the HSLS game.

rapstr

Quote from: hawgfan15 on December 25, 2013, 03:34:00 pm

1. Wynne
2. Morrilton
3. PA
4. Hope
5. Camden Fairview

They are loosing their whole backfield but keeping the love kid. And they are loosing a starting receiver they have big shoes to fill but it will be done

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The Future on December 20, 2013, 03:37:00 pm
Quote from: Absolut on December 20, 2013, 02:55:32 pm
Compars to this past season and the few seasons before that, yes

I think Fairview is dropping in size more than anything. We will be fast and talented like always but we won't have as much size as we've had the last few years.

Uncle Ivan

Gotta get the kicker, however, one way or the other.  As The Orgeron would say, "Crootin!"

helmethair

1. Wynne
2. Morrilton
3. PA
4. Hope
5. Camden Fairview
Hope?  Arent they losing all their talent besides a couple players?  I hear their young classes are pretty weak. 

helmethair

1. Wynne
2. Morrilton
3. PA
4. Hope
5. Camden Fairview
What big QB?

helmethair

Oh I see you are talking about the freshman kid.  Tall?  He looks around 5-11 to me, pretty thick though

Hoghead

Quote from: helmethair on January 08, 2014, 08:42:06 am

1. Wynne
2. Morrilton
3. PA
4. Hope
5. Camden Fairview
What big QB?
If you don't know...stick around you'll see him 7 on 7 camps this summer. He's a big kid who can sling it !!!! 10th grader

helmethair

Well are you talking about the Stuber kid in 9th grade or a 10th grader?

Hoghead

Quote from: helmethair on January 08, 2014, 10:16:29 am
Well are you talking about the Stuber kid in 9th grade or a 10th grader?

He's in the 9th this year. Yes Stuber.

helmethair

Yea I saw him in junior high.  Pretty good but only had one guy to throw too

The Future

Well since others are doing it lol. Pretty sure any top 10 pick this early will change in like a month anyways haha
In any order...

-Morrilton: Defending champs and early West favorite has to be close to the top. Do they deserve the top spot??
-Hope: Very impressed with Hope last season. Top 3 too high for Hope?? I don't think so.
-Wynne: Its been a slow rise, but the Jackets have definitely been rising over the years. Starts season anywhere from spots 3 to 6.
-Camden: Not taking anything from Camden, but with some rebuilding to do, the season looks to be stacked against James and company. I'd put the Cardinals at 4th or 5th starting the season.
-Pulaski Academy: Gotta put them in somewheres. Easily a top 10 team, but not a top 5 team. Is it too early to pick how the Bruins will do?? I say 2-1 noncon, the usual 7-0 conference, then gets stomped second round. 10-2 finish. Yeah that sounds bout right. We'll see come November.
-Batesville: So close yet so far away seems fitting. We all know Batesville is good enough to be the second best at season's end. Will they make it number 1? The Neers begin 2014 somewheres around spot 5.

Ok so I guess my top 5 pick would be:
Morrilton
Hope
Wynne
Batesville
Camden
PA starts out the bottom half of the top 10.

Not sure really who deserves the top spot. Each of these teams could beat each other. This season will be different from last in that theres no clear cut preseason favorite. Its a safe bet to say the champ will be any of these teams. But with the landscape changing again with several new teams with new talent, upsets or upstart teams could happen. Valley View could make noise as a possible 4th seed. Harrison looked improved last year. Speaking of the West, what was it? 3 new teams going to the West? That whole conference lookout has changed completely.
This season will be very entertaining. September can't get here fast enough.

Lionheart88

Batesville's consistent, they ought to be favorites to at least make it to WMS.  Fairview's always in the hunt, even if they choke the conference away again.  PA will surely bring in some good talent from their farm teams, roll the Central, but choke at some point in the playoffs.  Did I read right up thread that Morrilton's losing a lot?  West could be pretty open then?  It's probably the conference I know the least about.

As far as the South, I expect CF to be the strongest challengers for the title, but Hope should be close if they don't lose much (how many starters do they have coming back?).  Watson Chapel will bring up another group of world champion freshmen but White Hall still owns them in high school football(7-3-1 since Coach Vaugh took the reins in '03, including an active three year win streak).  Speaking of the bulldogs, this had better be the year. Most of our top talent were juniors this past year, and I don't have particularly high hopes after this bunch graduates.  I still don't think we can take down CF, unfortunately.  Though we at least get them at our place this year.
1) CF
2) WH/Hope
3) Hope/WH
4) WC

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas